• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Discussion What Are You Reading (Occult)

Talk about a book(s)

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I was looking into F. Paul Wilson's "Adversary Cycle," but can't recommend #1 "The Keep." Wilson sets a story in 1941 Romania without, it seems, checking out even a Wikipedia article about the land. He labors under the misapprehension that the populace is Slavic, that the language is written in Cyrillic alphabet, that the Iron Guard was in full flower immediately before the war with Russia (Antonescu had used the army to disband the Guard in January 1941.) We learn from Wilson, too, that Romanian nobles are called "boyars"---call Russia: they want their word back. He also has the notion that German troops were equipped with something called a "Schmeisser." The term was a Brit/Yank nickname for the MP-40 submachine gun and not used by the Germans themselves.

I know, I know. The story tries for a neo-Lovecraftian yarn. But it's distracting how Wilson is so damned lazy. At least Lovecraft could write with some reliability about the New England settings of his stories.
Probably better to watch the film then :)
Currently im reading man and his symbols, after 'the red book' is waiting for me.
I'm reading The Red Book at the moment, but I was so exhausted after the introduction and the translator's notes that I'm taking a little rest and re-reading one of my all-time favourite research books "The Fabric of Reality" by David Deutsch.

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Taking a little break from Hermetic writings, I am gonna read Tao Te Ching now. Multiple translations are compiled into one pdf in this. Also The Only Way to Learn Astroloy. And a non-occult book.
Which are your favorite translations so far? I have like four texts with different translations and the subtleties between individual word choices are phenomenal!

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Which are your favorite translations so far? I have like four texts with different translations and the subtleties between individual word choices are phenomenal!
James DeKorne has a website that includes 9 translations side-by-side. Personally I go for the Liu or Legge translations. (They are often very close.)

Vandheer

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Dc Lau feels and reads very different from the other translations, giving me the vibe it was translated as more of guide for a politician of back then rather than a mystical text.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Sorry all---I posted something about I Ching, not Tao Te Ching. Mea culpa, mea maxissima culpa.

art-vark2323

Neophyte
Reaction score
Update with what I'm currently reading from the last time I posted here: Techniques of Graeco-Egyptian Magic by Stephen Skinner, working through the Hekateaon still, and creeping my way through Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft.

neilwilkes

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I can't really countenance downloading books without paying for them, so I bought it off Amazon. It's exceedingly interesting stuff.
That's a really useful book to own too - it covers the period that was missed by Casaubon's 'A True & Faithful Relation' and is invaluable for anyone trying to recreate such things as Dee's 'Holy Table' (his 'Table of Practise') which was got so wrong in TFR.
I can also highly recommend Kevin Kline's excellent 'The Complete Mystical Records of Dr John Dee' which admittedly does not carry translations of the Latin sections, unlike the Joseph Peterson 'Five Books' or Skinner's reset edition of TFR, published as 'Dr John Dee’s Spiritual Diary (1583-1608), being a reset edition of Casaubon’s A True and Faithful Relation…, fully collated and corrected against BL Cotton Appendix MS XLVI, parts 1 & 2'.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
That's a really useful book to own too - it covers the period that was missed by Casaubon's 'A True & Faithful Relation' and is invaluable for anyone trying to recreate such things as Dee's 'Holy Table' (his 'Table of Practise') which was got so wrong in TFR.
I can also highly recommend Kevin Kline's excellent 'The Complete Mystical Records of Dr John Dee' which admittedly does not carry translations of the Latin sections, unlike the Joseph Peterson 'Five Books' or Skinner's reset edition of TFR, published as 'Dr John Dee’s Spiritual Diary (1583-1608), being a reset edition of Casaubon’s A True and Faithful Relation…, fully collated and corrected against BL Cotton Appendix MS XLVI, parts 1 & 2'.
Thanks - although that's more detail than I had actually planned to go into :)

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I wanted to buy a Donald Tyson book recently but I could only find a second hand paperback for 71 euro (and I'm not gonna). Instead I bought Jenny Tyson's Spiritual Alchemy (to at least send some money to the Tyson family) and I'm reading that now.
Liking it so far.

Amur

Disciple
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Reading The magik of Satan: Mastering Light and Darkness.

Gregorius

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Very lazy with reading rn but i plan on reading the entire red brick

lee smith

Neophyte
Reaction score
I am currently reading:
"Ceremonial magic and The Power of Evocation" by Joseph Liseiwski
"How To Make And Use Talismans" by Israel Regardie
and just for fun, "Bob's Memoir: 4,000 Years as a Free Demon Vol. 1" by Aroslav (Not for children or prudes)

Accipeveldare

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I've been reading Draugadrottinn by N.D Blackwood. It is on the subject of vampirism. It is very interesting although I'm not very far into the book yet so I can't say much

Shadows_Whisper

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
I've restarted Witches' Book of the Dead by Christian Day for the third time. I'm also working through Master Astral Projection by Robert Bruce and I've just started the Medium's Book by Allan Kardec.

Aeternus

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I've restarted Witches' Book of the Dead by Christian Day for the third time. I'm also working through Master Astral Projection by Robert Bruce and I've just started the Medium's Book by Allan Kardec.
Good luck with your reading. I see a lot of potential from your reading of the books you mentioned

Shadows_Whisper

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
Good luck with your reading. I see a lot of potential from your reading of the books you mentioned
Thank you! I'm particularly excited about getting through the Medium's Book, I'd been searching for something like it the past couple of weeks and saw some members here talking about it.