• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

WHAT DO WE WANT FROM THE GODS?

IllusiveOwl

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
with apologies for the selective quote)

This really does kinda make my point though - by definition, a 'God' is a supreme being that is both Omnipotent as well as Omniscient.
The behaviour you describe is the behaviour of Flesh & Blood creatures pretending to be Gods, and not actual Gods.
There are a lot of people in the psychic industry that claim omniscience is very commonplace, that this whole universe is one big pond, that everything we do causes a ripple, and anyone is able to know what happens if they're still (Bentov explains this very nicely). Omnipotence is just being the baddest bitch in charge too, with a universe of evolving creatures I doubt that the seat has been held long, and if it has then the highest chair is that of a maintaining, detached responsibility. If you mean creating things from will, I imagine that would be commonplace too with that tier of existence.

Power changes, setting changes, but my point is that consciousness is universal and likely the axiom of As Above So Below applies that incorporial - non flesh - beings would behave similarly to us depending on their ability, real-estate, and agenda. The word God is just that, a word. I am very certain there are many competing entities out there whom are both Omnipotent and omnipresent and also fit the original description I set down.

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
There are a lot of people in the psychic industry that claim omniscience is very commonplace, that this whole universe is one big pond, that everything we do causes a ripple, and anyone is able to know what happens if they're still (Bentov explains this very nicely). Omnipotence is just being the baddest bitch in charge too, with a universe of evolving creatures I doubt that the seat has been held long, and if it has then the highest chair is that of a maintaining, detached responsibility. If you mean creating things from will, I imagine that would be commonplace too with that tier of existence.

Power changes, setting changes, but my point is that consciousness is universal and likely the axiom of As Above So Below applies that incorporial - non flesh - beings would behave similarly to us depending on their ability, real-estate, and agenda. The word God is just that, a word. I am very certain there are many competing entities out there whom are both Omnipotent and omnipresent and also fit the original description I set down.
A lot of people in the psychic industry claim that, sure. That's claim makes psychical exercises and research into an industry. Damned few "enlightened masters" can back that claim. There used to be a book online "Unmasking the Gurus" that illustrated pretty well how arguably enlightened ones can go astray (Krishnamurti, Chogyam Trungpa, et.al.) Omniscience may be possible. Whether an individual is able to handle it is another matter. If it's easy, we'd quickly wind up with "Enlightenment Meals" at McMantras---wait a minute! That pretty well describes the state of the arts. The most popular Hogwarts seminar: Marketing the Dark Arts, no?

IllusiveOwl

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
A lot of people in the psychic industry claim that, sure. That's claim makes psychical exercises and research into an industry. Damned few "enlightened masters" can back that claim. There used to be a book online "Unmasking the Gurus" that illustrated pretty well how arguably enlightened ones can go astray (Krishnamurti, Chogyam Trungpa, et.al.) Omniscience may be possible. Whether an individual is able to handle it is another matter. If it's easy, we'd quickly wind up with "Enlightenment Meals" at McMantras---wait a minute! That pretty well describes the state of the arts. The most popular Hogwarts seminar: Marketing the Dark Arts, no?
I'm just saying, if someone like Bentov is credible enough to be paid by the CIA to team up with Monroe for special government funded research, and then mysteriously die in a plane crash, their lofty - yet humble - claims of being able to expand their consciousness across the universe may have some merit.

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I'm just saying, if someone like Bentov is credible enough to be paid by the CIA to team up with Monroe for special government funded research, and then mysteriously die in a plane crash, their lofty - yet humble - claims of being able to expand their consciousness across the universe may have some merit.
Pretty spotty omniscience not to see a planned plane crash coming, no? Besides, if they had him on the payroll, why kill him? Like Freud said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a plane crash," or words to that effect. (This shortly before Freud's own mysterious death from cancer not so long after his expulsion from the Third Reich.)

HocusPocus

Neophyte
Reaction score
I think we could manage that without having to involve the gods...
Unfortunately, if there is an afterlife then it implies that our fates are not quite of our own volition.

Many posters here will share that sentiment. I'm agnostic on it but my opinion could change.

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I think we could manage that without having to involve the gods...
Maybe. I recall the uncomfortable statement of Crowley, "Even death isn't a way out." Sure, he couldn't know... Think of this as a bleak take on Pascal's Wager.