• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

What is holding you back in magick?

Cats

Visitor
Reaction score
I can already do most of what I want with magick, shadow work and internal alchemy is so useful for increasing the potency of spells. But laziness prevents me from going deeper into some subjects. For example, I can't meditate because I'm too lazy for it. Yes, too lazy to meditate. I got this awesome book on pagan astrology and I can't bring myself to read it because...

duhhh
THERE ARE NO PICTURES IN THE BOOK, IT HURTS MY EYES

Untitled.jpg

I guess there are also some periods when we are more motivated than others. We change a lot as we age, so maybe later I'll find the motivation to learn more.

Jorge_Velasquez

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Wrong subforum? Wasn't that comment meant as a profile post? If not, it's seriously off-topic.
This is not off-topic. Jorge Velasquez is telling everyone about his current situation. His staff is missing currently, therefore holding him back from further magical power.

Thank you,
-Jorge Velasquez, the Greatest Wizard in the Universe.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
This is not off-topic. Jorge Velasquez is telling everyone about his current situation. His staff is missing currently, therefore holding him back from further magical power.

Thank you,
-Jorge Velasquez, the Greatest Wizard in the Universe.
You're looking at probation and a possible ban, pal.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
If I referred to myself as "the Greatest Wizard on Earth", my magical progress would certainly be restricted as my friends would, quite rightly, drag me away in some kind of intervention.

Jorge_Velasquez

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
1-Month Ban: Jorge Velasquez was banned due to Jorge Velasquez' actions.
If I referred to myself as "the Greatest Wizard on Earth", my magical progress would certainly be restricted as my friends would, quite rightly, drag me away in some kind of intervention.
Excuse Jorge for the typo in his signature, it should say "Universe"
Apologies.

And, frankly, it is nothing but the truth. Thank you for understanding.

Aeternus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Something that holds me back in magic is my laziness, but somehow combined with the fear of being deceived.

I admit that I sometimes am lazy, but sometimes this laziness of mines comes from a fear of being deceived. I have been deceived in my past by trickster entities, Demons etc.

Another thing that holds me back from Magick is having constant and sometimes irrational worries of "thing X or Y will go wrong if I do it" or "if I stumbled across a word that I don't know how to pronounce in a chant, regardless of my faith in it, it won't work". So, I think some fears I have are irrational and also tend to hold me back from Magick

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Greatest magician in the universe can't escape the ban? I don't believe in magick anymore. 😓
Worse, he can't find his staff. Now there's a magick insult, "Brother Azoolul? A mighty mage? He can't find his staff in the dark!"

Back on course, I imagine book-buying (downloading) could count as counterproductive. One runs off down more paths that Hydra gots heads.

Reaction score
Awards
Not having my own place to practice or sufficient supplies. A well stocked temple that is clean, that's a goal.
Since I'm disabled, I don't just go out in nature. In MI I reside with people in apartments, in CA I live in a suburb in a mountain.
So, between leg tremors and fear of heights, yes, not having my own well stocked temple (that requires income to stock with let alone for the place). This is probably the prime hold back.
No spirits I work with probably holds me back as well.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Something that holds me back in magic is my laziness, but somehow combined with the fear of being deceived.

I admit that I sometimes am lazy, but sometimes this laziness of mines comes from a fear of being deceived. I have been deceived in my past by trickster entities, Demons etc.

Another thing that holds me back from Magick is having constant and sometimes irrational worries of "thing X or Y will go wrong if I do it" or "if I stumbled across a word that I don't know how to pronounce in a chant, regardless of my faith in it, it won't work". So, I think some fears I have are irrational and also tend to hold me back from Magick
Diligence can be a harsh mistress. I started acting on (as opposed to just quoting) Robert E. Lee's dictum, "Do not take counsel of your fears." Things have actually worked better since then.

Wintruz

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
A well stocked temple that is clean, that's a goal.
Have you considered building what AMORC call a "
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
"?

Essentially, it's a temple which is created entirely in the astral and which you ascend to in order to connect with your daemon/HGA/God(s). You could also carry out magical work there so long as it does not violate the purpose for which the temple is built. All you need is quiet and a decent imagination.

I have used a personal variation on the method which has often actually left me feeling more conscious than doing Work in beautifully kept physical spaces. Crowley claimed to have finally attained Knowledge and Conversation through a similar method while trekking across the Great Wall of China.

Amur

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I must say that Surrendering to the Divine is my greatest problem, this also means surrendering to your own emotions. It's hard but is something that needs to be done to resolve those traumas. The current reality is one that is escaping while the current reality is one that is trying to hurt me even more. Surrendering is a key aspect of kundalini as is surrendering to your own internal demons to make them Manifest.

Wildchildx11

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Mundane life problems, I'm lazy as fuck due to ADHD and often use Magick as a way to avoid dealing with life problems.

I can understand Magick, do the memorization, understand the theories and receive insights, but in terms of applying it to real life, I have issues with it.

I'm not proud, I'm trying to get off, but I'm on SSDI due to cognitive disabilities, I have issues with memory, attention, etc. I need accommodations in Magick alone. I also don't invoke for material things but do so for knowledge or to work on myself. I'm surviving barely above the povertyline, rent is 70% of my income, I have constant anxiety about being able to survive. I'm poor.

Doorman

New Age Mage
Benefactor
Reaction score
I just started recently, but for me is pure lazy. I wrote a couple of sigils, but I dont even know what to wish for since I've been too comfortable with my life lol

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
@Amur: might it be an idea to change the word surrender to acceptance? and might it be so that the pain that that universe creates is there to help you 'shed your tears'?

Imho you should cry, it helps...

Amur

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
@Amur: might it be an idea to change the word surrender to acceptance? and might it be so that the pain that that universe creates is there to help you 'shed your tears'?

Imho you should cry, it helps...
Yes thank you that helps alot by changing it from surrendering to acceptance. Makes it easier to grasp.

I cry everytime I can cry so gotten pretty good at ventilating emotions inside the body.