• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

What is your evocation tools for evoking spirits?

William66

Solomonic practitioner
Reaction score
Awards
Topic says it all.
I use the solomonic tools except lionskinbelt (atleast for now).

I got sword
Wand
Lamen
Holy Pentacles supposed to be used
Circle
Incense of the day or the spirit
Triangle of art (cloth)
Ring
White robe
Goatskin
Ink/paper for record and make a pact if needed.
Holy water.
(Pendulum if it is needed)

And by the way, i bring a big bottle of water into the circle, your mouth and throat can get dry after many types of conjurations.

What about yall? :) Share<3

Diluculo_DelFuego

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
On my altar (wooden silverware chest), I have a white covering, a gold painted saucer holding sea salt, a silver container of water, a pumpkin carving knife with an orange plastic handle, and a wooden branch piece I found after a storm that resembles a mitre wand with three knobs sticking out at the top invoking end. Recycled tealight tins and putty to hold candles, golden pot pipe as an incense holder, and planetary squares and Archangel Sigils drawn on colored paper.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
For spirits generally associated with "up side" of things (drawn through sublunar currents), I use a small wand with magnets on either end over a shewstone set on a stylized Sigillum Dei Aemeth of my own making.

For the "infernal" I use a rapier sword that is light and makes it easy to draw figures in the air. Black mirror on The Triangle painted on masonite. The sigils and lamens for all are painted on small canvas board squares. I've found metallic ink gel pens that work wonderfully for drawing fine lines on these works - it has a neat effect in candle light.

For elementals I have worked directly with the element in the past - a rock for earth, open flame in a thurible, bowl of water, a feather or incense, etc. One of the Kings directed me to make an image for him, but life disruptions, laziness and forgetfulness got in the way. It's on the list.

Roma

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Is the human mind more useful/powerful than physical implements?

Be careful what you believe

league

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Is the human mind more useful/powerful than physical implements?

Be careful what you believe
I agree with Roma. But remember physical items are here for us to use to extend our energy to the outside world and used as a focus. Some view them as a positive or negative cause limitations. Either way I'm for whatever makes the practitioner more comfortable and relaxed to perform the action they are looking to achieve. I taught a class on that for years.

Reaction score
Topic says it all.
I use the solomonic tools except lionskinbelt (atleast for now).

I got sword
Wand
Lamen
Holy Pentacles supposed to be used
Circle
Incense of the day or the spirit
Triangle of art (cloth)
Ring
White robe
Goatskin
Ink/paper for record and make a pact if needed.
Holy water.
(Pendulum if it is needed)

And by the way, i bring a big bottle of water into the circle, your mouth and throat can get dry after many types of conjurations.

What about yall? :) Share<3
That depends entirely on what I am evoking and why.

Generally speaking, for the evocation of the entity itself I will use my version of the Trithemius' Table of Praxis or the Triangle of Arte along with something to tether/represent the entity. That is all I really need, if that however more measures may be warranted.

Firstly, being I associate fire with life, I will not represent any chthonic especially infernal entity with a flame unless I expressly trust them and am willing to breath life into them. Instead I will bring them into an Obsidian/black mirror, a pool of water or some object as a locus. This could be a stone, talisman/pentacle or some other locus. I allude Judeo-Christian angels, being emmanations, to the light coming off a flame and will generally call an Olympic Spirit or some other Holy Host as the flame and then have them act as my gatekeeper. Which btw, incorporating a gatekeeper, why rarely mentioned in the grimoires, is something I highly recommend. If I am calling down angels or other celestials I may opt for the Sigillum Dei Ameth as my table instead of a Trithemian style one.

Aside from the implements used to call and fix the entity the Ring is the most important as it is what represents ones authority in and in the name of God. It isnt just for protecting you from bad breath, it is that tool which represents the chain of authority in your operations that you may do work.

Next would be circle, which while it is notably for protection, should also represent the cosmology of the practitoner, defining their place in relation to their higher power, existence and that which is to be called. If I am not working with a Circle I will likely be working with some representation of the axis mundi 'world axis' and if i am working within a circle I will recognize the directions of above or below or any direction associated to what I am calling.

To that point, the lamen I will tend to use will be the one from the Key of Solomon, having a T in it. This T is the Hellenic Tau cross, or thre-fold crossroads, and is important here as it represents the aforesaid axis mundi. It aligns the practitioner thereto as well as to the center of the circle and altar.

Those are the basics to get the job done. Obviously the smoke of the incense can give a medium for manifestation and with the along with the robe set the proper mindset and atmosphere while also keeping out the worldy.

The wand, preferably of the blasting rod variety, and holy water are measures for protection.
I tend to prefer the black handled knife to the blasting rod.
That having been said if you know the nature of the entity you are calling, and you should have an idea, you can keep on rod on hand that is ill-aligned to said entity. For example if they are strongly of Jupitarian nature, spoil the milk with a strong Mercury nature, being the planet naturally opposed to the former. Also to that point, the "Pitchfork" of Paracelsus is, very handy for inflicting unwanted transmutation.

As for the Lion's skin and why It was employed. Well I refer you to the Nemean lion skin worn by Hercules for protection. Aside from the sympathetic magic of taking on an animals properties by dressing thereas, which goes back to the earliest tribal cultures, this Lion's hide/fur was golden. Gold being associated with sun is vitality, harmony, and through perfect harmony purity and incorruptibility. Gold was seen to be incorruptible and could only be dissolved by certain substances like Aqua Regia 'Royal Water' . Nor did it rust, and I dont believe it tarnishes. This this end, i am fortunate in that I may wear may Masonic apron in place of the lion's skin though I can comment no further on why.

Finally, devotion while not a physical tool per se, should not be forgotten. Being enflamed with prayer and invocation the proper hierarchy is fundamental, and aside from this trying to call forth a specific entity you have a relationship to already will greatly aid your efforts.

William66

Solomonic practitioner
Reaction score
Awards
I tend to prefer the black handled knife to the blasting rod.
I recently found out that practitioners use the black handled knife
Finally, devotion while not a physical tool per se, should not be forgotten. Being enflamed with prayer and invocation the proper hierarchy is fundamental, and aside from this trying to call forth a specific entity you have a relationship to already will greatly aid your efforts.
This:)

Diluculo_DelFuego

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
What about a tarp for painting (drop cloth), spray paint in colors, and use duct tape for the triangle of art area, where you have a bowl or mirror setup.
Black handled and white handled are pretty common in Witchcraft circles, as far as I know, there is either a yellow painted hilt air dagger, or a black handled knife that may contain engravings. Invoke without ceasing. Got it.

Reaction score
What about a tarp for painting (drop cloth), spray paint in colors, and use duct tape for the triangle of art area, where you have a bowl or mirror setup.
Black handled and white handled are pretty common in Witchcraft circles, as far as I know, there is either a yellow painted hilt air dagger, or a black handled knife that may contain engravings. Invoke without ceasing. Got it.
People use cloth canvas to depict canvas all the time. I think you are making life are than it has to be with the duct tape and that making the triangle out of tape wouldn't be very practical or appeasing. Just use a protractor and/or straight edge to trace your triangle.

Do not confuse these three knives, they are for different purposes and have different engraving.
The black and white handed knives are both Solomonic. The white handled knife is your utility knife; used to engrave wax, talismans and to cut materia used in ritual. The black handled knife is to threaten problematic spirits and to cut them on the more subtle level of their existence, and in later traditions a space between worlds. The yellow handed knife is the Air dagger of the GD and is inscribed with the names and characters attributed to air in that system. While Wiccans differ in their elemental attribution to the Athame (black handed knife), attributing it to either fire or air, the Key doesnt give an elemental correlation, instead attributing it to a function.

Reaction score
Awards
Like someone said above, depends on what I’m evoking. I haven’t brought out most of my Solomonic tools since pre-pandemic (dang time flies).

I haven’t evoked anything new to me in just about as long. Sticking mostly to my court of entities that I have longer working relationships with.

My standard setup is the permanent circle in my working room, rod, psalter beads, holy symbol, set of rings, incense usually, cashmere cloth, and my working book. Occasionally additional tools/items are added in as appropriate.

-eld