• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

What is your favorite representation of an user of magic in folklore?

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I would not say that he is a favorite representation but King Nezaualpilli of Texcoco commanded a magical operation to deal with the flood (caused by the murder of a wizard) in which some high officials were sacrificed and their hearts were thrown into the spring.

I was deeply impressed by Miguel Leon Portilla's book Fifteen Poets of the Aztec World which includes Nezaualpilli's poetry as well as that of his father Nezahualcoyotl.

art-vark2323

Neophyte
Reaction score
I've always enjoyed stories of St. Cyprian, who was supposedly a sorcerer. I had an interesting dream about him once and I ended up going down a research rabbit hole after hearing his name in the dream. There are some magical texts named after him like The Great Book of St Cyprian.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I've always enjoyed stories of St. Cyprian, who was supposedly a sorcerer. I had an interesting dream about him once and I ended up going down a research rabbit hole after hearing his name in the dream. There are some magical texts named after him like The Great Book of St Cyprian.
I thought Cyprian gave up sorcery when he turned Nazarene. Or is that story debatable? I know he is considered "the patron saint of sorcerers," a slightly odd title.

art-vark2323

Neophyte
Reaction score
I thought Cyprian gave up sorcery when he turned Nazarene. Or is that story debatable? I know he is considered "the patron saint of sorcerers," a slightly odd title.
He did! It was a big part of his story. But I enjoy how he's inspired magicians across time. He is definitely considered the patron saint. I'd love to
figure out why despite the fact that he renounced magic!

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
He did! It was a big part of his story. But I enjoy how he's inspired magicians across time. He is definitely considered the patron saint. I'd love to
figure out why despite the fact that he renounced magic!
Could be the Church saw him as a figure who could convert sorcerers away from their practices. St. Nicholas of Myra, for example, is considered the patron saint of prostitutes. The latter are not countenanced by the Church. So, I guess it's the same idea: some saints are patrons of those they are trying to reform.

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Do Isaac Newton and Pythagoras count as magicians? I mean, especially considering Newton was a well known Alchemist and Pythagoras literally lead a cult about numbers...

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Do Isaac Newton and Pythagoras count as magicians? I mean, especially considering Newton was a well known Alchemist and Pythagoras literally lead a cult about numbers...
I'd say yes to both.

Aeternus

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
For years now I've always liked to learn and read about the Solomonari, the Romanian wizards that were known to control the weather and ride dragons(or dragon-like creatures).
I don't know why I like them so much when I am not even Romanian myself.

Aside them I would say that it would be the one called "Pajé", a native spiritual worker said to possess occult powers.
Their knowledge of herbs, able to cure and do amazing things, and also their connection with nature that allowed them to even become(or "become") the very animals of the forest they lived in can be seen in many stories.

Who knows, maybe your spiritual ancestry is containing some Romanian nature.

The Solomonari were also called Red Jews or "Evreii Roșii" in Romanian. This term was coined and used in Majuru's translation of Koestler's book.

Accipeveldare

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
My favorite representation of the occult has always been the black mass. It is a very interesting ceremony to watch or even perform.

Ilúvatar

Neophyte
Reaction score
Cyprian the Mage. "I ascended the Pleiades, and they glided under me like a ship. I learned the whispers of the stars; I took possession of the four winds."