• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

What use do you have for alchemy?

Wolf

Visitor
Reaction score
Most occult practice seems to be focused on purifying the self, or accomplishing external effects without necessarily making the external world purified. But in other times, there was active interest in working on physical materials to improve them. It's interesting how here in China, internal alchemy 內丹 largely superceded weidan
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
, and Taoists decided you should chase immortality through things like breathing practices, not through external alchemy.

Do any of you perform alchemy with crucibles and such equipment?

What sort of goals can be accomplished through this kind of working?

The Elixir of Life and the Philosopher's Stone don't seem to be possible. Or are they? Was it bad/primitive science? Do you think of it as a psychological metaphor?

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Most occult practice seems to be focused on purifying the self, or accomplishing external effects without necessarily making the external world purified. But in other times, there was active interest in working on physical materials to improve them. It's interesting how here in China, internal alchemy 內丹 largely superceded weidan
, and Taoists decided you should chase immortality through things like breathing practices, not through external alchemy.

The Elixir of Life and the Philosopher's Stone don't seem to be possible. Or are they? Was it bad/primitive science? Do you think of it as a psychological metaphor?
A number of writers (e.g., Evola, Guenon) make a lot of the alleged difference between physical alchemists ("charcoal burners") and spiritual alchemists.

As for the Philosopher's Stone, if you found it, would you advertise the find?

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards

I consider making oils and tinctures to be alchemy. Also made (sort of) a stone by compacting copper salt - though I don't really have a use for that.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Can't do laboratorial alchemy due to lack of $$$ to buy the materials needed, so the only thing I can do so far is spiritual alchemy.
Well, Taoists believe in immortality, while western alchemists believe in being able to regain and maintain their youth(if you read stories of folks like St. Germain and Fulcanelli) though I believe immortality(or a veeeeery long life) is up there too.
I believe in the realistic aim that is to cause change in the person, be it literally or metaphorically(like a change in perspective).But I also like to imagine what kind of "other changes" can be achieved through alchemy.

I believe there is a mix of truth and myth in it, but to know which is which would require a through investigation through the history of alchemy and it's practice.We have to be realistic, but at the same time we can't simply dismiss the original views of alchemy just because it seems "too fantastical" for our more scientific minds.

All myths have an origin.How close or far removed from it they are is something to ponder about.

Wildchildx11

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
A number of writers (e.g., Evola, Guenon) make a lot of the alleged difference between physical alchemists ("charcoal burners") and spiritual alchemists.

As for the Philosopher's Stone, if you found it, would you advertise the find?
I would do it anonymously and at least share the process.

I don't think I would want to be worshipped as a God or anything, or want the attention but I think knowledge should be shared. Quite frankly, if you grasp an esoteric secret, there not a lot of reason to hide it in metaphor. If you try to explain an esoteric concept to those of a lower spiritual development, it sounds like schizophrenic rambling to those who can't understand it. It's why Jesus spoke in parables and said "those who have ears to hear, let them hear" to his disciples. There is already energetic influences at play and the universe has ways to keep secrets secret.

Getting back on topic, I don't have money for a lot of materials, so I don't do a lot of ritual Magick, alchemy, etc. I believe that the universe provides everything you need so for me, I'm primarily with mind. If you lack a ritual dagger, then visualize it, so for me I am entirely a spiritual Alchemist. Clearly getting a bunch of expensive Chemistry and Alchemical equipment to perform physical alchemy (I didn't enjoy the lab work in Chemistry class) isn't on my path.

Peter2

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
There are various forms of alchemy:

• mineral
  • vegetable
  • animal.

It is much safer to start with vegetable alchemy. It is traditional for mineral alchemist to kill themselves by breathing the toxic fumes given off by heated minerals

The principles of alchemy are important to the spiritual scientist: the processes by which the life force in matter is stimulated to bring that matter to its perfected state.

Humans wishing physical immortality may find refining their own light-body more useful in that there are inner and outer benefits at every stage of development.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I would do it anonymously and at least share the process.

I don't think I would want to be worshipped as a God or anything, or want the attention but I think knowledge should be shared. Quite frankly, if you grasp an esoteric secret, there not a lot of reason to hide it in metaphor. If you try to explain an esoteric concept to those of a lower spiritual development, it sounds like schizophrenic rambling to those who can't understand it. It's why Jesus spoke in parables and said "those who have ears to hear, let them hear" to his disciples. There is already energetic influences at play and the universe has ways to keep secrets secret.

Getting back on topic, I don't have money for a lot of materials, so I don't do a lot of ritual Magick, alchemy, etc. I believe that the universe provides everything you need so for me, I'm primarily with mind. If you lack a ritual dagger, then visualize it, so for me I am entirely a spiritual Alchemist. Clearly getting a bunch of expensive Chemistry and Alchemical equipment to perform physical alchemy (I didn't enjoy the lab work in Chemistry class) isn't on my path.
I was just pondering. Knowing to turn lead to gold would, of course, be a disaster for gold prices if word got out. On a purely personal level, gold-making would be dangerous too. Look every year at what befalls rock stars, rappers, NBA and NFL high picks. Always a couple of personal disasters in any dozen or so.

Would immortality be any different? Ennui might be a real problem. An Ernest DeSchoening tale has a suicide epidemic touched off by people being able to load consciousness into digital devices. It seems they get jaded and bored without deadlines and, as it were, the psychological equivalent of the NBA shot-clock.

Lazarus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
External alchemy was a blind to keep the greedy and profane busy and off the trail.

Those that would be more concerned with turning literal lead into literal gold, would find it easier to pass through the eye of a needle, than enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

Peter2

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
As I recall, turning lead into gold is a test for a late stage in producing the Philosopher's Stone.

The life force in the lead is activated so that material substance evolves quickly into its highest form: allegedly gold.

Afaik, demonstration of that power indicates the Philosopher's Stone is the next and final stage.

One of the early stage skills is finding suitable Prima Materia - first matter suitable for alchemy. Traditionally women were better at finding minerals with strong life force - but that was secret knowledge.

A related female skill was used in Scotland to detect whether the life force in the earth was ready for planting - or whether a late frost would kill the plantings. The women had special underwear for the task

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
External alchemy was a blind to keep the greedy and profane busy and off the trail.

Those that would be more concerned with turning literal lead into literal gold, would find it easier to pass through the eye of a needle, than enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
Agreed. My point was simply that success in certain ventures might be an inducement to silence.

Interestingly, Leibniz claimed to have seen a tin pan turned to gold. (Husymanns "Le Bas" gives the tale.) Proof, perhaps, that even a polymath genius is susceptible to sleight of hand.

Lazarus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Agreed. My point was simply that success in certain ventures might be an inducement to silence.
If I could turn literal lead into literal gold, I probably wouldn’t tell a soul.

Achieving some of the internal alchemical works…. I doubt I’d announce my success, but I’d help others where I could.