• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Discussion What was the book that brought you to your current path?

Talk about a book(s)

Sage

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Perhaps as a kid you read Harry Potter and got curious about the world of witches, perhaps one day you walked in front of a bookstore and there was a book about alchemy right near the window, perhaps one day you got a pdf of a book that made you want to learn more about the book's subject...

What was a book that made you seek and then enter this world of the occult, the spiritual, the esoteric and the magical?

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
It was not a book. I was studying for some university economics exams and, out of nowhere, had the idea of doing some unstructured mental activity. It turned out to be a form of meditation. I was up and running.

Reaction score
Awards
In order:
The Magus.
Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner.
Satanic Bible.
Celtic Magic.
Necronomicon.
Golden Dawn.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Modern Magick and My Life With the Spirits were the two first books I really read about magic that weren't the typical fictional & pop culture narratives. Fifteen years had to pass after I read those books before I decided to get "serious" with magical practice, and that began with The Doctrine and Ritual of High Magic (the new translation of Levi's classic by Greer and Mikituk). I think the importance of the philosophical side of magic is often underestimated by beginners in favor of the glamour of some particular path which holds an appeal to the beginner. I'd even go so far as to say that it's a bit like asking a young child what they want to be when they grow up, before they really understand how the world works.

I should add that I don't agree with everything Levi wrote in his book now that I have made the effort to read many more books, but I do think his classic work is a 'must read' for anyone aspiring to a magical path. Greer's continuing commentary is quite useful to the neophyte looking for a map to the territory.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

The Golden Jackal

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I had a dream as a very young boy that was super strong more like an appearance of a god. But the first book was one of those subconious faith books becasue it worked in a big way! I actually got what I was repeating. Then I went into LSD this
lead to A Crowley and from him to the Kali tantra.

vetriol

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Perhaps as a kid you read Harry Potter and got curious about the world of witches, perhaps one day you walked in front of a bookstore and there was a book about alchemy right near the window, perhaps one day you got a pdf of a book that made you want to learn more about the book's subject...

What was a book that made you seek and then enter this world of the occult, the spiritual, the esoteric and the magical?
Eleven lessons on High Magick by Donal Michael Kraig