• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Where is the demiurge now?

WisdomAddict

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I was reading some gnostic texts
All I found was just little about what he done and who he was
Simple and not in depth
what happens to him after all?
After making of the physical realm
Is he still alive is he a mortal ?
Some say he lives in saturn
I read some people pray and worship him instead of the true unknowable god the almighty...

Any info about him or your knowings will be valuable
Thanks

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
My belief is that the creator of the universe is the universe. I think there was once a consciousness that was made of all the current matter of the universe, in an unimaginably dense point. It decided to explode (the Big Bang) - possibly because it wanted to understand itself and so needed to spread out and separate parts of itself out so it could look at itself. God created the universe by becoming it.

In the same way that my heart has its own little independent processes that I don't consciously control, I am an organ of the near-infinitely vast body of God that God does not consciously control, I have what feels to me like a separate existence, but is actually in service of a much greater whole. (As are you). Mind is a property of matter, and the more complex the organisation of matter, the more complex the mind. My heart has I believe some sort of very low-level primitive consciousness, and god whose "matter" is the entire universe, has a conscious so complex and vast it's impossible to imagine what it would be like

None of this gnostic though! It's anti-gnostic if anything. Hopefully someone can help you out with the gnostic gnowledge.

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
If you want to understand what the gnostics were talking about you need to know the basic cosmology widely accepted at the time. Cicero summarizes it in his Dream of Scipio passage at the end of his Republic:

See! the universe is linked together in nine circles or rather spheres; one of which is that of the heavens, the outermost of all, which embraces all the other spheres, the supreme deity, which keeps in and holds together all the others; and to this are attached those everlasting orbits of the stars. Beneath this there lie seven, which turn backwards with a counter revolution to the heavens; and of these spheres that star holds one, which men on earth call Saturn's star.

Next is that bright radiance, rich in hope and healing for the sons of men, which is called Jove's star; then one fiery red and dreaded by the world, which you call Mars; next lower down the sun holds nearly the middle region, the leader, chief and ruler of the other lights, the mind and ordering spirit of the universe, of such magnitude that he illumines the whole and fills it with his light. With him Venus and Mercury keep pace as satellites in their successive spheres; and in the lowest zone of all the moon revolves lighted up by the rays of the sun.

Now below these there is nothing more but what is mortal and transient except those souls which the bounty of the Gods has given to the sons of men; above the moon all is eternal. As for the earth, the ninth and central globe, it does not move but is the lowest point, and towards it all heavy bodies tend by their own gravity."

So Saturn is not just what we call the planet Saturn but also the penultimate heavenly sphere in which this planet is embedded, which contains everything below it. Earth is the lowest, or centermost, sphere.

From the perspective of modern astronomy this entire model is untenable. To many ancients, including the late antique writers called “gnostics,” though, this was, with variations, the basic map of the cosmos. The stars/ planets were generally held to influence life on earth- for some thinkers this was a vague influence while for others it was the irresistible mechanism of fate. Stoics and neoplatonists believed that the decrees of fate/providence were necessarily good- gnostics and some hermetists would strongly disagree and view the planetary spheres and their ruling gods as oppressors and prison guards. When Paul calls Satan “archon of the power of the air” and talks about “the powers of wickedness in the high places” (note that Paul does not place Satan in an underworld but in the heavens) he is also expressing some version of this idea.

The figure of the Demiurge was introduced in Plato’s key dialogue Timaeus. If you haven’t read that yet drop everything else and read it because that is the foundation of the whole concept that later thinkers are responding to. You should also check out later developments of the concept such as found in the Enneads of Plotinus. We live in a time where a vast quantity of these ancient texts are readily available in translation, often for free, so take full advantage of that. Simply knowing these texts will put you in a much better position to evaluate anyone’s claims to carry on “the wisdom of the ancients.”

Plato’s original Demiurge is a good/ wise figure who fashions the world on the basis of the Forms. The reason for the imperfection of the world is not ill will or stupidity in his part but the inherent unreliability of matter. The exact place of this demiurge in the cosmos and the problem of matter is developed and debated extensively in later writings and it is a good idea to go over the full range of that debate before settling on the solution of a particular current.

WisdomAddict

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
The reason I ask this question is
At some point we all think of this our current experience of life, a place with imperfection , pain and suffering
As I have already read, it's like the demiurge figure it's not the true God and he is ignorant and jealous and reason for the imperfections of this realm it's because he is imperfect too
And he created the planets and archons and everything in material realm,
So I can't see cosmology as something realiabe too
Those are part of this Maya simulation and made by demiurge too...
I'm searching for material about outside this physical realm. Not the planets not the other universes
Post automatically merged:

the imperfections of this realm
He fashioned it this way so it's matrix could keep souls in his bound and trapping here
And makes very sense that he is not true God but an architect-generator figure,

I see now everything in this manner
That
evil is the demiruge and it's creations
Including ,time ,planets, angels ,demons,matter,pain pleasure,Maya, simulation

Light is the unknownable god source outside of the demiurge's matrix(Jesus Christ himself!?) (Zero point field !?) and he has nofhing to do with the material realm
Rather helps those souls awaken that they need to back to source ,scenario....

Last edited:

Leontios

Visitor
Reaction score
The ideas developed in the early Platonizing Sethian codices likened Ialdabaoth and his "archons" to artificial beings who cannot create or have existence without feeding off of the spiritual creative forces of those souls that have fallen into their realm. There are many parallels to artificial intelligence and the holographic universe theories.

In "The origin of the World", Sabaoth rejects his demiurge father, and Sabaoth is raised to the 7th heaven alongside the aeon Zoe. The lion headed serpent (itself taken from Plato's writings alluding to uncontrolled passions) is cast down and bound...
Yet this world is hardly the "Beautiful, non dualistic world" so many people would "teach" us it is.
The Chaldean Oracles, The first book of the Corpus Hermeticum, the development of Plato's disillusioned later writings are consistent on this point, even though I hear so many authors and "initiates" pretending they somehow know better with their selective remembrances of writings they teach.

The Sethians/Barbelites knew that non dualism is to be found in the pleroma, not here. This world , as Plato taught, is fractured, copied forms.
And Ialdabaoth is the personification of contradictions that could never happen without drifting away from THE ONE.
Evil is the price of free will in this world until enough tears have been shed.

Until that day comes, the demonic egregore known as the Saklas is a very real collection/projection of the worst parts of ourselves fed back to us amplified.