• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Which path to follow?

Rora

Neophyte
Reaction score
For the new year, I decided to stop dabbling and DO something.
See, the main reason that I dabble is because I have little self control, I’ve struggled with addictions of various sorts all my life (thankfully no drugs or alcohol, but that’s more because of China’s drug crackdown than my own strength of will) I don’t think this can continue, I’m looking for a spiritual practice that can help me develop self-discipline, and ideally help me develop a further awareness of the invisible world of spirits (because that’s where most of my dabbling so far has been focused) as well as being compatible to any religious outlook.
On religion, I was raised as a polytheist/atheist (blend of Taoism, Buddhism and Communist party ideology) then went to Protestant church during my time at Britain because that was “What Everyone Did”, then developed an interest in the spiritual world because of Wicca. Now I’m just not sure on the religious front, which is why I would rather not to be tied down to a specific system of belief.
I realize that that’s a very specific bill to fill, and I’m sorry if my tone of writing was offensive/demanding in any way, just looking for some suggestions.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I think your request is actually too broad, not too specific! Much of the occult would fit within your parameters

But: you don't want to be tied down to a particular denomination, you want to increase awareness of the spirit world, and it doesn't sound like you're super results-oriented (meaning, you're not just looking for magic to get money or a job or a romantic partner or whatever)

I recommend Aidan Wachter's Six Ways (also Changeling but that's not on WF). It's very very much about connecting with the spirits around you in a gentle way (rather than summoning one up inside a magic triangle and compelling it to work magic for you). And the spirits are more local and small-scale, rather than workings with deities

It's really a mix of practices that you could pick and choose from, that would fit in with a lot of different magical streams, but he also does share his magical worldview (primarily animism and cooperative), without in any way pressuring you to adopt it.
It has actual practices you can do, it's not just theory.

He's also a good writer, which helps

There are a lot of good places you could start, there's no One Best Answer, but this is one of the good places
Post automatically merged:

Another book that might be a good place to start (I haven't read it, but people speak highly of it)

^ "Consorting with Spirits: Your Guide to Working with Invisible Allies" by Jason Miller

Last edited:

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
The evil Catch 23 is that for a spiritual practice you need self-discipline in the first place. It's no use recommending meditation in order to become more disciplined when you have no self-discipline to begin with. I'm prone to addictions myself and this is why I'd recommend looking for something that completely grips you to the point of obsession - for me, that's currently the Greek Magical Papyri, before it was the Gallery of Magic; I don't need self-disciple to study related books because I have a hard time NOT to and go to bed, for example.

It's an obessive approach that similar to addiction itself. I realize that you are asking for a specific practice but I cannot help you there - what works for me is probably just incredibly boring for you. So the only advice I can give you is to follow your nose, ignore even the most highly praised books and programs if you find them boring, to rigid or too onerous. Yes, meditation is the first choice when it comes to preparing for magic but don't beat yourself up if you miss a day (or two), or if it takes you weeks to even get around to attempting your first session. Read a lot, whet your appetite, and something will be sure to come along over time.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I have little self control

That is a high risk condition if wishing to enter occult practices. If you cannot control yourself, there are many spirits that would like to have a free ride in a human body.

My own experience was meditation twice daily for about 4 years before the inner plane worlds started to come into my sight

Being unsighted during occult practices may be rather dangerous

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Ok, that should be 'Catch 22'.

All I'm saying ist try not to change too radically in the beginning, work with what you have and start from where you are right now instead of wishing you had this or that quality. Set your sights low and start from there (I am talking a bit to myself here, sorry).

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I strongly disagree that it's dangerous to start out without years of meditation behind you (I didn't - I only started meditating after I started magic. I wanted to be better at magic, and that was the motivation I needed to finally start meditating. Which fits in with HoldAll's suggestion to follow what motivates and excited you)

You might be ineffective, but you won't be at risk. You can just use your normal human common sense and reading comprehension to gauge whether a book or practice is beginner friendly or risky (the writers will straight up tell you).

(If you have no common sense and are always accidentally walking into biker bars, then idk, mayyybe there's a risk, but probably still much less than your physical world risks. You're not really powerful enough to do anything dangerous)

Like HoldAll said, start out small and low-key, you'll be fine

Rora

Neophyte
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I did not expect so many replies and good suggestions in so short a time!
About what you guys said about meditation and risks, yes I can totally understand how dangerous flailing in the dark without the proper sight could be (I get hunches same as most people, random moments of fear and stuff) but I actually struggle with meditation because of fear of the dark/isolation and one time some kind of shady entity popped in (not really sure, didn’t do anything I could sense besides give me a touch of creeps, went away after a few banishing gestures drawn from Dion Fortune’s Psychic self defense———my first spiritual book! Or maybe just got bored of psychic baby me) There’s really no way around meditation it seems so I’ll try my best, few minutes at a time perhaps? I also have the nasty habit of not drawing wards because a lot of them are affiliated with various religions, psychic baby me thought they could pull through all on their own! That being said, are there any wards that do not invoke an specific entity but rather calls upon a higher self or the universe at large? Sorry if this seems ignorant.
As for effect, well, I’m not expecting fireballs or overnight wealth, or anything material really, just a better knowledge of what’s around me and myself. That being said, does anyone know how Eastern (specifically, Chinese) local spirits will react to someone of their own ethnic group practicing Western magick instead? Some Chinese traditional magick practitioners imply that it could have negative repercussions, they don’t go into detail but might I be shunned by the local spirits/assorted entities if I continue?
P.S: “guys” is the word I use for assorted gatherings of every gender, if that bothers anyone I’ll stop

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
There have been good suggestions in this thread already. I personally think a book that is set up as a course (so, with a number of lessons) is a good way to get going. If you are new and fresh then Buckland's book on Witchcraft is excellent. If you prefer Ceremonial Magick then Donald Michael Kraig's Modern Magick would be my suggestion. Both these books are classics and have helped many of today's Wizards with their start.

Quote:
“guys” is the word I use for assorted gatherings of every gender, if that bothers anyone I’ll stop.

Please refer to us as Angels from now on.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Some Chinese traditional magick practitioners imply that it could have negative repercussions
I think what happens is that it is easier to stick with a system using symbols you were conditioned on growing up.

Westerners are crammed with Angels, Demons, Crosses, etc from the second we are born, so an easterner will have a harder time responding to those symbols, like I would have a harder time connecting with a Dharma Wheel or Karma than an easterner.

You will not be harmed by any local spirits or anything like that, I don’t think that stuff actually happens or at least is exaggerated.

JMPtD

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Hello Rora, et al,
Ive heard many meditators on YouTube say that they recommend 5 minutes a day. Then after a week or two add another 5 every week or so. They say Confucius actually ‘doesnt’ ‘say’ much about the afterlife and I do not remember reading much about the distinct spiritual realm reading analects. Just remember the core virtues of Confucianism understanding wisdom is all virtue, filial piety is where you belong, courage is not arrogant or ignorant, then you’ll definitely have some charisma along the still mountains and joyous lakes that a Chün Tzu might travel.

maybe Check out the root of Buddhism and find some hinduism learning about yoga like kundalini, samyama, Bhakti lifestyle, kriya workouts, karma intelligence/structure - gnana analyizing - karma product. check out @veganstringbean on yogaforums.com.

the republic gets one thinking about government and how to think thoroughly. The lotus sutra I a good book as well. spring autumn analects Was nice. So those are some ancient philosophies to root yourself further with if interested and they were roughly in the same era.

Then for magick of course id recommend the things I’m promoting which start on occultforum.org by JMPtD.
some mantras might hold you over filling you up.

The “five Junzi virtues” comprise of the following: (1) benevolence/humaneness as “Ren” (仁), (2) righteousness/appropriateness” as “Yi” (義), (3) propriety/harmonious differentiation as “Li” (禮), (4) wisdom/knowledge management as “Zhi” (智), and (5) “trustworthiness/integrity” as “Xin” (信) (Wuchang, 2009).

Last edited:

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
how Eastern (specifically, Chinese) local spirits will react to someone of their own ethnic group practicing Western magick instead?
You may have noticed that Fuxi and Nuwa, the brother-sister gods that founded China are matched by Osiris and Isis (Asar and Ast) the brother-sister pair that founded Egypt. The same gods moved around a lot.

The ethnic claims to local spirits is a human perspective.

There’s really no way around meditation it seems

Quite so. In the standard human, the divine light anchors in the heart. Men often prefer the less efficient mental approach. Women, however, are usually more sensitive to heart approaches.

Some of my posts show how to increase the light in the heart.

wards that do not invoke an specific entity but rather calls upon a higher self or the universe at large?

In the standard human, the first chakra above the head (above the crown chakra) is sometimes called The Point within the Circle. Putting your attention in that chakra encourages a more direct connection to The Source of All

Ziran

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
That being said, does anyone know how Eastern (specifically, Chinese) local spirits will react to someone of their own ethnic group practicing Western magick instead? Some Chinese traditional magick practitioners imply that it could have negative repercussions, they don’t go into detail but might I be shunned by the local spirits/assorted entities if I continue?

I'm not an expert, but I vote no on the negative repurcussions, and also no on the shunning. The local spirits and those bound to your lineage will not abandon you if you do not abandon them.

Let's see if I can find someone to help with this...

Found it: See below in a spoiler:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Rora

Neophyte
Reaction score
Please refer to us as Angels from now on.
Okay, ummm, Angels, lots of thanks for the help! @Roma Yeah upon reflection it is narrow minded of me to assume that spirits bother about the definitions of ethnical heritage imposed upon humans by humans. @Ziran thanks for the video, but unfortunately I can’t see any YouTube videos and social media posts because of China’s great firewall which restricts the whole country from accessing some content. (This is usually bypassed by a vpn but that’s in the gray area of the law) that mega.nz website you angels use for sharing documents also appear to be blocked, I’ll root around the web for most of the books recommended to me. @Lemongrass00 Yes that does seem to be the case from my experience, but I was sort of exposed to a east-west stew from my earliest days so both systems work for me I guess.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Okay, ummm, Angels, lots of thanks for the help! @Roma Yeah upon reflection it is narrow minded of me to assume that spirits bother about the definitions of ethnical heritage imposed upon humans by humans. @Ziran thanks for the video, but unfortunately I can’t see any YouTube videos and social media posts because of China’s great firewall which restricts the whole country from accessing some content. (This is usually bypassed by a vpn but that’s in the gray area of the law) that mega.nz website you angels use for sharing documents also appear to be blocked, I’ll root around the web for most of the books recommended to me. @Lemongrass00 Yes that does seem to be the case from my experience, but I was sort of exposed to a east-west stew from my earliest days so both systems work for me I guess.

You can find most of the books posted here on annas-archive.org, I just hope that site isn't blocked in China, too.

league

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
For the new year, I decided to stop dabbling and DO something.
See, the main reason that I dabble is because I have little self control, I’ve struggled with addictions of various sorts all my life (thankfully no drugs or alcohol, but that’s more because of China’s drug crackdown than my own strength of will) I don’t think this can continue, I’m looking for a spiritual practice that can help me develop self-discipline, and ideally help me develop a further awareness of the invisible world of spirits (because that’s where most of my dabbling so far has been focused) as well as being compatible to any religious outlook.
On religion, I was raised as a polytheist/atheist (blend of Taoism, Buddhism and Communist party ideology) then went to Protestant church during my time at Britain because that was “What Everyone Did”, then developed an interest in the spiritual world because of Wicca. Now I’m just not sure on the religious front, which is why I would rather not to be tied down to a specific system of belief.
I realize that that’s a very specific bill to fill, and I’m sorry if my tone of writing was offensive/demanding in any way, just looking for some suggestions.
It's great to hear that you've made the decision to stop dabbling and take action in the new year. Developing self-discipline can indeed be a challenging task, especially when struggling with addictions and a lack of self-control.

In your search for a spiritual practice that fosters self-discipline and also offers a deeper understanding of the invisible world of spirits, it's important to consider a few key factors. First, it's crucial to find something that aligns with your personal beliefs and values. It seems that you have had exposure to various religious and spiritual practices, which can be both enriching and confusing when trying to find a path.

Considering the wide range of experiences you've had with different belief systems, it may be helpful to explore practices that embrace a more inclusive or universal approach. Such practices often focus on personal growth, self-awareness, and connections with something greater than oneself, while allowing individuals to maintain their own unique religious outlook. Meditation, mindfulness, or even certain forms of yoga can be excellent choices to cultivate self-discipline and spirituality without tying you down to specific religious dogmas.

Additionally, it might be beneficial to seek the guidance of a spiritual teacher or mentor who respects your desire for a non-restrictive belief system. This person can provide valuable insights and support as you navigate your way towards self-discipline and a deeper understanding of the spiritual realm.

Remember, finding the right path and developing self-discipline takes time and patience. It's essential to be open-minded, explore different practices, and adapt them to your own needs and preferences. By doing so, you can nurture your spiritual growth while maintaining the freedom to explore various religious perspectives.

sk666

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
谢谢大家,我没想到在这么短的时间内有这么多的回复和好的建议!
关于你们所说的冥想和风险,是的,我完全可以理解在没有适当视力的情况下在黑暗中挥舞是多么危险(我和大多数人一样有预感,随机的恐惧时刻等等),但我实际上在冥想中挣扎,因为害怕黑暗/孤立,有一次某种阴暗的实体突然出现(不太确定, 除了给我一丝毛骨悚然之外,我没有做任何我能感觉到的事情,在迪翁·福吉的通灵自卫中做了几个放逐的手势后就走了———我的第一本灵性书!或者也许只是厌倦了通灵的宝贝我)似乎真的没有办法绕过冥想,所以我会尽力而为,也许一次几分钟?我还有一个讨厌的习惯,就是不画病房,因为他们中的很多人都隶属于各种宗教,我以为他们自己可以完成所有任务!话虽如此,有没有不召唤特定实体而是召唤更高自我或整个宇宙的病房?对不起,如果这看起来很无知。
至于效果,好吧,我不指望火球或一夜暴富,或者任何实质性的东西,只是更好地了解我和我自己周围的事物。话虽如此,有谁知道东方(特别是中国)当地的灵魂会如何反应他们自己种族的人练习西方魔法?一些中国传统魔法从业者暗示这可能会产生负面影响,他们没有详细说明,但如果我继续下去,我可能会被当地的神灵/各种实体回避吗?
P.S: “伙计们”是我用来形容各种性别聚会的词,如果这打扰了任何人,我会停止
你好,我同样来自中国,并且有一定的法教经验(法教这个词目前是指在中国的很多民间传统的统称,历史上他有别的意思)
按照我的经验来说,这是一个概率性的问题。
佛教和道教都会指责学习对方的人是崇尚外道,虽然依旧有很多融合操作
在他们的故事和实践案例中,也有很多学道者拜佛或者学佛者拜道导致的惨案。
但是在这些惨案之外,道教抄袭了大量佛教的梵咒,佛教也参考了道教的一些实修
在民间,法教也大量融合了佛道信仰,更别说普庵祖师这种本身就半佛半道的人
我的建议是,向你本身就有一定合作的灵体,如祖先,祖师爷,阴师,询问他们个人的意见。
当然,如果有更加细致的问题,也欢迎联系我,我可能会有一定的经验

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
你好,我同样来自中国,并且有一定的法教经验(法教这个词目前是指在中国的很多民间传统的统称,历史上他有别的意思)
按照我的经验来说,这是一个概率性的问题。
佛教和道教都会指责学习对方的人是崇尚外道,虽然依旧有很多融合操作
在他们的故事和实践案例中,也有很多学道者拜佛或者学佛者拜道导致的惨案。
但是在这些惨案之外,道教抄袭了大量佛教的梵咒,佛教也参考了道教的一些实修
在民间,法教也大量融合了佛道信仰,更别说普庵祖师这种本身就半佛半道的人
我的建议是,向你本身就有一定合作的灵体,如祖先,祖师爷,阴师,询问他们个人的意见。
当然,如果有更加细致的问题,也欢迎联系我,我可能会有一定的经验
English, please, it's forum rules.

sk666

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
对不起,我的英语很差,接下来的内容都是来自翻译。
如果你觉得奇怪,你可以复制以前的中文,并参考其他翻译。
“你好,我也来自中国,对法交有一些经验(法交这个词由”法术“和”教派“这两个词组成,目前指的是中国的一些民间传统,历史上有其他含义)。意思。
根据我的经验,这是一个概率问题。
佛教和道教都指责那些研究对方的人是外来的,尽管仍然有很多融合操作
在他们的故事和修行案例中,也有许多因学道的人拜佛或学佛的人拜道而造成的惨败。
但除了这些悲惨的案例之外,道教抄袭了大量的佛教咒语,佛教也参考了道教的一些实践
在民间传说中,佛法也融合了大量的佛教和道教信仰,更不用说像普安宗师这样的人了,他本人一半是佛教徒,一半是道教徒。
我的建议是向与你自己有一定合作的灵灵征求他们的个人意见,例如祖先、宗师和阴师。
当然,请随时与我联系,提出我可能有一些经验的更详细的问题。

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
翻译(免费版)
英语,拜托,这是论坛规则。