• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Why isn’t most of humanity aware of supernatural entities?

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Hello all,

I have been recently thinking about how it always seems that whatever supernatural entity we connect with across any tradition whether it be angels, demons, elementals, gods, fairies, gnomes, whatever entity you can think of, they always seem to be aware of humanity.

however this does not apply in the reverse. Only a select amount of humans even acknowledge that these entities exist and most of us can definitely not see or interact with them. However, it seems that every entity we interact with is not surprised at our existence and is well aware of us.

I wanted to hear opinions why this is. It seems like supernatural entities existing on different planes of reality are familiar with us physical beings and I’d assume most can probably see us but wanted to know why it isn’t the same for us.

Is there something intrinsically special with us being beings of the physical plane? Or perhaps “being made in the image of God” or some other reason. I am very curious to hear input.

thanks all,

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
John Michael Greer has been writing a series on Dis/enchantment on his blog this year. Western culture has been consumed by a mind "virus" of belief that only the physical universe exists and all else is hallucination experienced on an individual level. Even Western religion has cut out the entire spectrum of planes that occultists generally recognize in favor of a simplified heaven, hell, and physical Earth. It seems that most churches have become very materialistic indeed.

I used to believe that stories people told about ghosts and demons could simply be explained by mental illness and drug abuse. And this is likely true, but not in the sense that I believed it to be so at the time. Altered mental states are what it takes to disconnect the mind from the physical sense organs, so a drug user for instance would likely perceive things on other planes of existence.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Is there something intrinsically special with us being beings of the physical plane? Or perhaps “being made in the image of God” or some other reason. I am very curious to hear input.
I don't like it to sound dogmatic, but I tend to follow the model of "The One, the All", which put in simplest terms means there is one essential Spirit that diffuses through all manifestation. Our individual beingness is illusory, just one layer in an infinite number of layers including "solid matter". Spirits are part of this layering, but one could also call them "subtle forces" which interpenetrate our sense of being, but we need to see them as "identities" in order to grasp them. They are both in us and outside of us, they are part of us and we are part of them, though we perceive a difference. We may experience "them" as purely imaginary, or hallucinatory, but really we are the ones that make that rule, not Nature. We do it to stay sane and maintain cultural order. So most people can not be aware of spiritual forces without effort, discipline and initiation. We are taught that the imagination is not real, which is ironic considering that everything humanity has created and built arose from its imagination. Even the coldest human reasoning - mathematics, logic, physics, the hard sciences - are projections of the human mind that are deemed as "real" because they give us tangible results, though this is just one type of manipulation of the "layering".
Hermes Trismegistus talked of humans being "mortal gods" and gods being "mortal humans". The ultimate link for us, what makes us "special", I think, is our minds, both conscious and unconscious. But really there is only one Mind, and manifestation is its dream, "spirits" are its thoughts and we are all living mirrors of tiny aspects of the Absolute Reality.

One thing I always felt was helpful is Bill Whitcomb's Axioms of Magic, which I have posted in another thread some time back. Here is one that might be helpful with regards to spirits.

XIII. Law of Personification
Any concept, force, object, or phenomena maybe considered to be alive, to have a personality, to be an entity.

Corollary of Personification:
Law of Invocation and Evocation

Any concepts, forces, or objects which manifest as entities can and should be treated as real beings. These beings (patterns) can also be viewed as objectified aspects of ourselves, but it is useless (perhaps even dangerous) to take this attitude while actually dealing with them. Do not be fooled just because something is only the personification of a pattern of energies. You can be described this way, too.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I don't like it to sound dogmatic, but I tend to follow the model of "The One, the All", which put in simplest terms means there is one essential Spirit that diffuses through all manifestation. Our individual beingness is illusory, just one layer in an infinite number of layers including "solid matter". Spirits are part of this layering, but one could also call them "subtle forces" which interpenetrate our sense of being, but we need to see them as "identities" in order to grasp them. They are both in us and outside of us, they are part of us and we are part of them, though we perceive a difference. We may experience "them" as purely imaginary, or hallucinatory, but really we are the ones that make that rule, not Nature. We do it to stay sane and maintain cultural order. So most people can not be aware of spiritual forces without effort, discipline and initiation. We are taught that the imagination is not real, which is ironic considering that everything humanity has created and built arose from its imagination. Even the coldest human reasoning - mathematics, logic, physics, the hard sciences - are projections of the human mind that are deemed as "real" because they give us tangible results, though this is just one type of manipulation of the "layering".
Hermes Trismegistus talked of humans being "mortal gods" and gods being "mortal humans". The ultimate link for us, what makes us "special", I think, is our minds, both conscious and unconscious. But really there is only one Mind, and manifestation is its dream, "spirits" are its thoughts and we are all living mirrors of tiny aspects of the Absolute Reality.

One thing I always felt was helpful is Bill Whitcomb's Axioms of Magic, which I have posted in another thread some time back. Here is one that might be helpful with regards to spirits.

XIII. Law of Personification
Any concept, force, object, or phenomena maybe considered to be alive, to have a personality, to be an entity.

Corollary of Personification:
Law of Invocation and Evocation

Any concepts, forces, or objects which manifest as entities can and should be treated as real beings. These beings (patterns) can also be viewed as objectified aspects of ourselves, but it is useless (perhaps even dangerous) to take this attitude while actually dealing with them. Do not be fooled just because something is only the personification of a pattern of energies. You can be described this way, too.
This is great, thanks for the response. Another interesting way to look at it is how Lon Milo DuQuette does by looking at all of creation as a hierarchy of consciousness with deities/ the supreme one/ etc being the top consciousness and everything else being a reflection of that. I think both of you are more or less describing the same thing.