• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Witch or Warlock?

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Hi all, I came across a video in YouTube that explains the difference between a Witch and a Warlock.

Now, I ask for the males, would you use the term Witch, or would you choose the term Warlock.

If I knew anything about Witchcraft. I would use the term Warlock. Since for me, the term Witch is more for Women than men. I know that there are a lot of males who use the term witch. As for me, the term Warlock Would suit me greatly just for the sake that I am a male.

JMPtD

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Well there are the preferences im using where witch is in alignment with wizard and structure, and warlock is the most chaotic, even more chaotic than sorcerer. The posts about it from me can be found on Occultforum.org by JMPtD as the two body magick posts and the environmental chi post. While I make little comparisons on the other random posts too
Post automatically merged:

Witch just as female wizard, or another distinction between wizard and witch I’m promoting is witches of the fields and wizards of the forests

the three posts
Body prana magic (here black magic).
body (the soft aura) mana magic.
Environmental chi magicks.

plus I saw some witch vs sorcerer in magic cycle scroll through post you might like.

warlock there is chaos magician/mage

Last edited:

Rowena

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
'Warlock' is from the Old English wǣrloga meaning traitor or oathbreaker, and while it did end up being used in medieval times to mean 'male witch' - it meant it very specifically in the sense of someone who has betrayed their Christian faith by making a pact with the devil.

I guess the word could be used accurately in some forms of modern Satanism - but otherwise it would just look to me like bad scholarship influenced by Hollywood and/or Dungeons & Dragons - both of which use all kinds of terminology incorrectly.

When it comes to modern witchcraft - Gardner & his successors were very clear on this & used Witch for everyone regardless of gender - and as far as I know, no-one other than Lavey & some other Satanists were using Warlock for anything until sometime in the 1990s, when the internet pretty much killed good scholarship.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
'Warlock' is from the Old English wǣrloga meaning traitor or oathbreaker, and while it did end up being used in medieval times to mean 'male witch' - it meant it very specifically in the sense of someone who has betrayed their Christian faith by making a pact with the devil.

I guess the word could be used accurately in some forms of modern Satanism - but otherwise it would just look to me like bad scholarship influenced by Hollywood and/or Dungeons & Dragons - both of which use all kinds of terminology incorrectly.

When it comes to modern witchcraft - Gardner & his successors were very clear on this & used Witch for everyone regardless of gender - and as far as I know, no-one other than Lavey & some other Satanists were using Warlock for anything until sometime in the 1990s, when the internet pretty much killed good scholarship.
Gotcha. I understand now. Thank you!

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
when you promise yourself to eat an apple and you didnt, you broke an oath...
witchcraft, which craft? a jack of all traits aka a universal being...

when these two get kids, ow dearie me and that on x-mas. aint life a beauty?

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I like the term warlock, it's just cool somehow. I don't use it to refer to myself, since I don't feel like debating people constantly. Witch just feels ridiculous to me, I can't call myself that. I think of myself as a sorcerer.
See, at least I'm not the only one, who thinks it's cool. I really don't care if the term is bad news for others. If I were to use the term Warlock, I would use my own terminology on it.

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
And if everyone invents their own definition of existing words, the words become meaningless.
To quote Thor, God of Thunder: "All words are made up" 😁

I call myself a wizard. It sounds less pretentious than most other terms and does not get confused with Penn & Teller etc.

Reaction score
Awards
Hi all, I came across a video in YouTube that explains the difference between a Witch and a Warlock.

Now, I ask for the males, would you use the term Witch, or would you choose the term Warlock.

If I knew anything about Witchcraft. I would use the term Warlock. Since for me, the term Witch is more for Women than men. I know that there are a lot of males who use the term witch. As for me, the term Warlock Would suit me greatly just for the sake that I am a male.
I 7se witch or ceremonial magician, because even within witchcraft I try to mix some ceremonial elements into the working. I don't consider myself a hardcore witch, I don't even attune to the holy days.

Rowena

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I do wonder where this need for gender-specific terms has some from.
Witch was a perfectly acceptable gender-neutral term for someone practicing Witchcraft up to the 90s, and at some time after that people seem to have decided that it is a feminine-only term.

theil

Carefree Explorer
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Words have established meaning, they also have prevailing currents directed by cultural consensus. Be aware of the words traditional context but if it slots into an identity place holder ("yeah, this feels right to me -- i can identify with that") use it and not something else until a different title feels right.

Reaction score

Neither, I am Neither.

You do not want to use Warlock because it comes from Waer Loaga meaning 'oathbreaker'. Witch does not just refer to women, it is a fender neutral term. Now in Old English you had the gendered forms: wicca for a male and wicce for a female. Witch, however is gender neutral.

I am neither because where I'm from, witch is an accusatory term and still means "one who works with a/the devil" and I'm certainly not an Oath breaker.

Yes, ai know some have, incorrectly, tried to post an alternative etymology for Warlock...using Germanic roots for what is essentially a Scottish word instead of the established Scottish etymology.

I do wonder where this need for gender-specific terms has some from.
Witch was a perfectly acceptable gender-neutral term for someone practicing Witchcraft up to the 90s, and at some time after that people seem to have decided that it is a feminine-only term.
Guys didn't want to be jumped together with Charmed and Silver Ravenwolf :p

I agree with @Rowena
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I think for males who perform witchcraft it's more appropriate to say they're mages.
Just like there is no male naming for a witch so is there no female naming for a mage, but the two mean the same thing.
No....
There's no modern male designation for a with because it is gender neutral.
Mage is also technically gender neutral but there is a feminine form, Magistra.
-and they most certainly are not the same thing because not all magic is witchcraft.

And if everyone invents their own definition of existing words, the words become meaningless.
Yep 👍

You beat me to it.
Yeah I suppose if you see Confirmation as an oath and as a Satanist are proud broke it....heck it's not like the Church of Satan has a history adopting controversial things just because they are controversial or anything.

Though I e of the mind that the reason why the word Warlock was so popular is because most didn't k ow any better and now that it's so ingrained in them they double down on that sacred cow instead of admitting they were wrong. Those types don't tend to like scholarly takes on the emerged of either counter-cultures or neopaganism.

when you promise yourself to eat an apple and you didnt, you broke an oath...
witchcraft, which craft? a jack of all traits aka a universal being...

when these two get kids, ow dearie me and that on x-mas. aint life a beauty?
Breaking an oath is a little more serious than failing to abide by a new years resolution.

Also I see the wordplay there but it's not great. Clearly witchcraft references what it is talking about in the word itself ..the craft if a witch. Now to that point what is the craft if a witch? Well it isn't a universal being because we are looking for a craft, a noun that as a subject defines a verb or activity. If it were everything, a specific word to describe it as something specific would be pointless.

Well there are the preferences im using where witch is in alignment with wizard and structure, and warlock is the most chaotic, even more chaotic than sorcerer. The posts about it from me can be found on Occultforum.org by JMPtD as the two body magick posts and the environmental chi post. While I make little comparisons on the other random posts too

Witch just as female wizard, or another distinction between wizard and witch I’m promoting is witches of the fields and wizards of the forests

the three posts
Body prana magic (here black magic).
body (the soft aura) mana magic.
Environmental chi magicks.

plus I saw some witch vs sorcerer in magic cycle scroll through post you might like.

warlock there is chaos magician/mage
This isn't D&D and I'm not going to lie, what you just did to Eastern practices and Western practices simultaneously, is pretty cringe.

Last edited:

BloodOfBakula

Neophyte
Reaction score
I was taught the term "Warlock" meant "oath breaker".

This title would be given to a witch who committed a murder through using magick, hence either sex could receive it.

( Fun fact : Since Louisiana is the only state where magick rituals can be used as evidence in court, ya don't want to throw the warlock label around. )

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I was taught the term "Warlock" meant "oath breaker".

This title would be given to a witch who committed a murder through using magick, hence either sex could receive it.

( Fun fact : Since Louisiana is the only state where magick rituals can be used as evidence in court, ya don't want to throw the warlock label around. )
You are right about "warlock" meaning "oath breaker."

The term wizard comes from "wys"(ME) meaning "wise." I think the term preferable to "warlock." It suggests esoteric knowledge without commenting negatively on one's ethics.

Thank you for saying this. In the stampede to stand out, a lot of folks are forgetting uniqueness can be pushed to suicidal extremes. I recall in the Army: everyone wears the same uniform, but some few guys just stood out (and not because of imposing physique either.) Looking like everyone else, they just seemed more present. The same holds true of ordinary old words used with the ordinary old meanings, but the speaker has aught of import back of all that. The testimony of acquired experience, mebbe. Keen insight. In any case, his talk does its work and he does not bother about rigging up flashy tools like neologisms or well-known terms injected full of private meanings.

Last edited:

JMPtD

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
To make progress one could work to manifest reality that has reasonable significance, and that calls them instead, off call mages or retired mages or un scheduled mages or chaos mages.

about witches I’d relate them to the number 1 and 3 while wizards are for the number 2, while they both are for studied/preknown wisdom perhaps. The wizard knows the complexions by reading and controlling skills, while the witch is being one who knows what item to use (1) and what the item is generally known for (3). They could do things in their own characteristic way alone by that 2 knows what is happening by doing some thing easy and decided, while 1 and 3 knows how to do things by knowing 1 and toiling with fascination to the point of conditional reality by 3

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Maybe the Inquisition wasn't all bad. If I had to hide what I was, I wouldn't have to wade through all this name-mire. "Me? You talking at me, Fr. Torquemada? Me? A mage/witch/wizard? Nah. Not at all. Just humble William here. Will Underlaw, at your service."

JMPtD

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
hopefully we just get to use these wonderful metaphysical powers in the future.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I hope this doesn't turn out like East Coast rappers vs. West Coast rappers back in the 90's. Wizards whacking' out warlocks, and witches take the hindmost.