• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Witch or Warlock?

Misty Mystic

Neophyte
Reaction score
Atm I, normallly, use "witch" or "witcher" since in my native language "warlock" is more about "dual faith" semi Chrisitan backgrounds,which was used by me several decades ago. And there are still forms of "witcher", which were not spoiled by mr Sapkowski talent

JMPtD

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
this is for attitude/language as we tune into the evolution nature:
ethnicity is a mode and a mode here is a trend.

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I prefer the term "witch". Most people don't use "warlock" due to it's perceived etymology. However, Christian Day (occult author and owner of the Hex shop in New Orleans) and his husband use the term "warlock" and have challenged people to produce evidence of the perceived etymological issues. So far no one has done so that I've seen. Despite this, I would still prefer the term "witch". I guess more so because it sounds more legit. This may be because the word "witch" was in actual use longer while "warlock" or "wizard" are relatively new in terms of common usage. Also, "wizard" and "warlock" sound too video gamey or Dungeons & Dragoney rather than a legit title for a practitioner.

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Also, "wizard" and "warlock" sound too video gamey or Dungeons & Dragoney rather than a legit title for a practitioner.
I like wizard, because it somehow avoids sounding pretentious/portentious and is more likely to provoke light amusement rather than a fear that you might be about to stab them or something :)
Besides, a wizard is what I am, and, as we know, the first step in becoming an occult practitioner is to have the confidence to announce yourself as such.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I came to the conclusion, that I won't use any labels.
So how to you refer to someone who practices what gets called magick. I find labels helpful so long as I remember that they (generally) do not exhaust all an entity's reality. I mean, zB, I'm hetero, but it's not like it's a 24-hour task and---in most settings---is pretty irrelevant.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I prefer the term "witch". Most people don't use "warlock" due to it's perceived etymology. However, Christian Day (occult author and owner of the Hex shop in New Orleans) and his husband use the term "warlock" and have challenged people to produce evidence of the perceived etymological issues. So far no one has done so that I've seen. Despite this, I would still prefer the term "witch". I guess more so because it sounds more legit. This may be because the word "witch" was in actual use longer while "warlock" or "wizard" are relatively new in terms of common usage. Also, "wizard" and "warlock" sound too video gamey or Dungeons & Dragoney rather than a legit title for a practitioner.
All good points. Personally, I'm starting to like "enchanter," like "Tim the Enchanter" in the Monty Python flick.

Wintruz

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Calling oneself many of these titles is a bit like calling oneself a "Lady" or a "Gentleman"; the very act of attributing the title to yourself undermines your claim to it.

I haven't corrected people when they've called me all manner of things including "witch" (I don't think I've ever had "warlock"- does anyone use that word anymore outside of fantasy literature?!). If they were ever to bring back burnings I don't suppose the executioner is going to be dissuaded by "I'm not a witch, actually I'm a discalced, shamanic root-worker".

Given that magic is about rejecting the fate that would have otherwise been apportioned by the cosmos in favour of a Willed fate, I suppose "magician" and, especially, "sorcerer" are etymologically closer to what I am working with but I don't talk about it with those outside the Work and, for those inside, no words are necessary anyway.

I did once write "Pagan" on a census form. I think that's the only occult "identifier" I've ever bothered with.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Calling oneself many of these titles is a bit like calling oneself a "Lady" or a "Gentleman"; the very act of attributing the title to yourself undermines your claim to it.

I haven't corrected people when they've called me all manner of things including "witch" (I don't think I've ever had "warlock"- does anyone use that word anymore outside of fantasy literature?!). If they were ever to bring back burnings I don't suppose the executioner is going to be dissuaded by "I'm not a witch, actually I'm a discalced, shamanic root-worker".

Given that magic is about rejecting the fate that would have otherwise been apportioned by the cosmos in favour of a Willed fate, I suppose "magician" and, especially, "sorcerer" are etymologically closer to what I am working with but I don't talk about it with those outside the Work and, for those inside, no words are necessary anyway.

I did once write "Pagan" on a census form. I think that's the only occult "identifier" I've ever bothered with.
I suppose that's a good implied point: who am I telling anyway? The real McCoy mage isn't into LARPing. And, if he's among kindred souls, there's not much need to talk about it. The bishop doesn't say to the monsignor, "Hi there. I'm Anastasius and I'm a Catholic."

league

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
'Warlock' is from the Old English wǣrloga meaning traitor or oathbreaker, and while it did end up being used in medieval times to mean 'male witch' - it meant it very specifically in the sense of someone who has betrayed their Christian faith by making a pact with the devil.

I guess the word could be used accurately in some forms of modern Satanism - but otherwise it would just look to me like bad scholarship influenced by Hollywood and/or Dungeons & Dragons - both of which use all kinds of terminology incorrectly.

When it comes to modern witchcraft - Gardner & his successors were very clear on this & used Witch for everyone regardless of gender - and as far as I know, no-one other than Lavey & some other Satanists were using Warlock for anything until sometime in the 1990s, when the internet pretty much killed good scholarship.
This is 100% correct on the terms Witch and Warlock. I couldnt have said it any better.

Reaction score
Hi all, I came across a video in YouTube that explains the difference between a Witch and a Warlock.

Now, I ask for the males, would you use the term Witch, or would you choose the term Warlock.

If I knew anything about Witchcraft. I would use the term Warlock. Since for me, the term Witch is more for Women than men. I know that there are a lot of males who use the term witch. As for me, the term Warlock Would suit me greatly just for the sake that I am a male.
i sometimes use warlock to refer to myself (
Hi all, I came across a video in YouTube that explains the difference between a Witch and a Warlock.

Now, I ask for the males, would you use the term Witch, or would you choose the term Warlock.

If I knew anything about Witchcraft. I would use the term Warlock. Since for me, the term Witch is more for Women than men. I know that there are a lot of males who use the term witch. As for me, the term Warlock Would suit me greatly just for the sake that I am a male.
i use witch and warlock interchangeably, but i find magician also fits me fine as a “definitive” gender neutral term. i will say witch works the same way, but i do understand some people’s grumbling about it.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
One Hungarian word that gets translated as wizard that sounds snazzy is "varázsló."(accent the 1st syllable.) Apparently it's derived from "varazsol," to conjure. If one has roots in that part of the world, I reckon he can use the term. (Before we are off to the races about "racism" again, my blue-eyed, puffy pink face would look pretty pretentious insisting I was a "hataalii" or a "nganga." Why? I ain't Navajo or Bantu. Samey-same with "varázsló" vandals, if such there be.)

alexander

Neophyte
Reaction score
I guess as a guy I don't like the word 'witch', too many connotations...
I don't feel like warlock suits me either, I reckon that practitioner is the best word that describes me

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I guess as a guy I don't like the word 'witch', too many connotations...
I don't feel like warlock suits me either, I reckon that practitioner is the best word that describes me
I like the low-key sound to that.
Post automatically merged:

I like the low-key sound to that.
To unpack a little, you can't imagine an 'umble occult practitioner claiming to have culled Cthulu because he's the astral ecto-child of Wotan and Isis who received his initiation on the 28th Aethyr from the hands of Dr. Dee hisself. Just last week, the forum's bouncers had to throw out 2-3 of those wasn't it?

Last edited:

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
The Dutch for witch is "heks" (like the similar German "Hexe"). I like it for several reasons and prefer it over the Dutch for sorcerer/wizard "tovenaar" as that just sounds silly in my opinion.

But in English I'm a Wizard 🤘

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Fucked Up Lol GIF by What We Do in the Shadows

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
The Dutch for witch is "heks" (like the similar German "Hexe"). I like it for several reasons and prefer it over the Dutch for sorcerer/wizard "tovenaar" as that just sounds silly in my opinion.

But in English I'm a Wizard 🤘
Yeah, in English it sounds too much like some Down South nickname. "Ah'm Shucks, this here's my big brother Dang, and that there is the runt of the family, Hecks."