• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Witchcraft and activism

nightly

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
Sorry if this discussion is unwanted or out of many people interest in the craft, but how involved do you think magic should be with activism? like spells to protect the oppressed or showing deities support to them
It does sound kinda of silly and maybe insensitive to some, but i think within this field, when we know that our spells can have indeed an effect on reality, if we can use them to support people who are being hurt wrongly or who are standing up to something moral and just, then we should do what we can to help them no?

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I bought a beautiful hardcover book on Witchcraft not too long ago. One of the first photos is of a woman writing "witches against the patriarchy" on the wall of a building. Closed the book and haven't opened it again.
If someone wants to change the world I'm happy they are doing something other than staring at their phone, but there are always different sides to a story. Best of luck to you though 🤟

nightly

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
I bought a beautiful hardcover book on Witchcraft not too long ago. One of the first photos is of a woman writing "witches against the patriarchy" on the wall of a building. Closed the book and haven't opened it again.
If someone wants to change the world I'm happy they are doing something other than staring at their phone, but there are always different sides to a story. Best of luck to you though 🤟
I get, i think a lot of people can get caught up in the spirit of being a revolutionist that they forget the humanity of the other side, i mean every revolution is built on turning the opposite side to just a game mob to be taken down, the best we can do is creation not destruction, improvement over ending

But on that note tho, and this topic I'm bringing, improvement is bringing positive change, which is what witchcraft, in its best form, is for

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Sorry if this discussion is unwanted or out of many people interest in the craft, but how involved do you think magic should be with activism? like spells to protect the oppressed or showing deities support to them
It does sound kinda of silly and maybe insensitive to some, but i think within this field, when we know that our spells can have indeed an effect on reality, if we can use them to support people who are being hurt wrongly or who are standing up to something moral and just, then we should do what we can to help them no?
Here's a book for you, haven't read it though:

Slytherin

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
It's perfectly normal and it's probably the norm in the Right Hand Path/White Magick organizations to help people. For example, my dad wasn't given the Certificate of Mastery in Reiki as he had to heal at least 100 people for free, my dad didn't want to be a professional, so didn't run after it, but would have easily got it. But interestingly, my dad is of the goody-two shoes type, and he has healed many people in our family and our friends, and people who got hurt in front of his eyes, and I'm sure the number of people he has healed has surpassed hundred over the years

Mannimarco

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Maybe, maybe not.

I like to help people, and I do rather frequently. People i know in real life, where I have a lot of data points, and I'm pretty sure I know at least most of the whole story. People that I want to help. Not people that any religion/government/corporation/ngo/educational institution tells me need helping, and not an identity group that is currently "winning" the oppression olympics. I help individuals that I know, in situations that call for it. And I have both magickally avenged people who were harmed, and let those same people deal with a situation on their own, depending on their actions.

The problem is that 99% of the magickal activism I've seen online is just enforcing the political/social agenda of the extreme left. This is the same crap as fundie christians praying for the republicans. If you're playing their left/right football game with your magick, you're not helping, you're making things worse. If you're views on who the oppressed/ oppressors are, is shared by Larry Fink, Mastercard, Google, JPMorgan, Starbucks, etc, then you're not helping oppressed people, you're working for the elites.

Anyway, good for you to care enough to even want to help others. Best wishes.

nightly

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards

thnksss, much appreciated

It's perfectly normal and it's probably the norm in the Right Hand Path/White Magick organizations to help people. For example, my dad wasn't given the Certificate of Mastery in Reiki as he had to heal at least 100 people for free, my dad didn't want to be a professional, so didn't run after it, but would have easily got it. But interestingly, my dad is of the goody-two shoes type, and he has healed many people in our family and our friends, and people who got hurt in front of his eyes, and I'm sure the number of people he has healed has surpassed hundred over the years
huh, so ig your father was going to heal them regardless? or did i misunderstand the story TT

Maybe, maybe not.

I like to help people, and I do rather frequently. People i know in real life, where I have a lot of data points, and I'm pretty sure I know at least most of the whole story. People that I want to help. Not people that any religion/government/corporation/ngo/educational institution tells me need helping, and not an identity group that is currently "winning" the oppression olympics. I help individuals that I know, in situations that call for it. And I have both magickally avenged people who were harmed, and let those same people deal with a situation on their own, depending on their actions.

The problem is that 99% of the magickal activism I've seen online is just enforcing the political/social agenda of the extreme left. This is the same crap as fundie christians praying for the republicans. If you're playing their left/right football game with your magick, you're not helping, you're making things worse. If you're views on who the oppressed/ oppressors are, is shared by Larry Fink, Mastercard, Google, JPMorgan, Starbucks, etc, then you're not helping oppressed people, you're working for the elites.

Anyway, good for you to care enough to even want to help others. Best wishes.
thank you and i see where you are coming from, i feel like tho what about spells for peace? trying cool down two heated sides so they can see eye to eye nd get some mutual grounds going

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Reaction score
Awards

There are many secret societies that are specifically set out to this very thing, and in many cases they are quite successful for the minor works that they do.

But when discussing things like "toppling capitalism" or "bringing about the end of the patriarchy" or "defending a bunch of kids in the woods from rampant police violence", you require more than just a simple spell. Typically, something to take on egregores as powerful as those would take months of active work with multiple individuals.

Not to mention, you need to remember that even in magic you can't simply just "quell both sides" of a dispute with a simple spell. This is not to say that you shouldn't try, but if I cast a spell to, say, lower the cost of prices at McDonald's and that spell doesn't work, my own system would require you toss it out.

Asteriskos

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards

I read it sitting in Barnes & Noble with my wife. I'd go off topic to say anything here.

Slytherin

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
huh, so ig your father was going to heal them regardless? or did i misunderstand the story TT
My father was asked to heal random people on the street and reach upto 100. The criteria is he has to heal a 100. But he didn't do it in front of his Reiki master and came back with his training and learning without his Certificate of Mastery

But he has healed a 100 people in friends and family over the years by now

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
The answer is "As involved as you want to make it." If you want to use magick to support a cause you believe in, then go for it. There is really no objective answer to how involved magick should be with activism, so it's entirely up to you.
Basically this.
Magic is something that is very personal, so of course what you use it for will also depend on your personality as well.

Also, some people will focus on the small changes they can do(themselves), some will focus on trying to enact big changes(the world).Both can end up helping society in the long run, only that one is more indirect and the other is a more direct approach.

Reaction score
Awards
Personally I feel you should keep politics out of your practice. It's too easy to have the clusterfuck that is the swirling miasma of politics infect and corrupt you, unless you are a person who can set aside emotional arguments to look at things rationally and without bias.

For example, if your first response to someone saying "asians are shorter on average" is to deny it and say that you know tall asians, you are driven by emotional arguments and missed the rational point that statistically, asians are in fact shorter and tall asians are a statistical outlier. Questions like that are a good yardstick to tell if you have the ability to keep yourself emotionally detached from the multi-headed dick-hydra that is politics or if you'll get infected by it and turn into a brainrotted slave to an ideology that is spread to profit a wealthy minority at the expense of everyone else (regardless of which side they're on).

Activism has been turned from a pure tool to better a person's life to a Machiavellian nightmare of shadowy puppetmasters guiding ideologies to divide people for power and profit.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Personally I feel you should keep politics out of your practice. It's too easy to have the clusterfuck that is the swirling miasma of politics infect and corrupt you, unless you are a person who can set aside emotional arguments to look at things rationally and without bias.

For example, if your first response to someone saying "asians are shorter on average" is to deny it and say that you know tall asians, you are driven by emotional arguments and missed the rational point that statistically, asians are in fact shorter and tall asians are a statistical outlier. Questions like that are a good yardstick to tell if you have the ability to keep yourself emotionally detached from the multi-headed dick-hydra that is politics or if you'll get infected by it and turn into a brainrotted slave to an ideology that is spread to profit a wealthy minority at the expense of everyone else (regardless of which side they're on).

Activism has been turned from a pure tool to better a person's life to a Machiavellian nightmare of shadowy puppetmasters guiding ideologies to divide people for power and profit.
Personally I go in for "Metapolitik." Google it.

neilwilkes

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
In a single word - NEVER!
Always,, always remember 2 seriously important things that will prevent you going to the black & causing yourself all manner of serious grief after this incarnation is done.
1 - First do no harm. (or, do unto others as you would be done by)
2 - Directly out of number 1 is the reason for number 1 - one man's 'freedom fighter' (or activist as they style themselves these days) is the next man's terrorist. Just because you feel strongly for or against a cause or something does not give you the right to use the Arts to interfere - that is the vilest Black Magic and it will cost you everything in the long run.

Never interfere. You are theoretically on a more spiritual path, not a base secular one. Act like it, ffs, or quit the path.

Cosmic Enigma

Visitor
Reaction score
Ive just read in a book the Witches Compass that 'twentieth century activist and writer Saul D. Alinsky evoked the Devil to unite low income communities and affecting change against the abuses of power. In Rules for Radicals, Alinsky acknowledges Lucifer as the first insurgent, whose rebellion against establishment accomplished rulership over his own kingdom and instigated the model of counterculter in the process'

I do believe black magic is used negatively on the masses by the powerful, so yes, I believe we should use it to bring about change for humanity. However, from my understanding we are in the era of Lucifer, along with the age of Aquarius- hence why there is so much chaos. From Rudolf Steiners work as I understand it.. Christ, Lucifer and Ahriman energies are ever present in these times.. but happy to be corrected as I am not well versed on it, just what I have picked up along the way on my journey.
Post automatically merged:

That said, there are many that choose to be in the grips of those in power- so this alters my stand somewhat. I ping pong from wanting to help people then looking at folk thinking they deserve all they get😆

Last edited:

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Spells to bind the corrupt/evil/whatever are often recommended. You are not wishing any physical harm on the perps, just restraining them from action.

Does it work? Well, does anything? :D

Cosmic Enigma

Visitor
Reaction score
Spells to bind the corrupt/evil/whatever are often recommended. You are not wishing any physical harm on the perps, just restraining them from action.

Does it work? Well, does anything? :D
Im new to magick so all this is new to me.. Id love to restrain them from action :p

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Im new to magick so all this is new to me.. Id love to restrain them from action :p
I'm more of a theoretical magician, so I'm sure someone can suggest a proper binding ritual :) Or you could search the forum for one...

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Reaction score
Awards
Considering Thích Nhất Hạnh and many other Buddhist groups...

I think if you don't incorporate your activism with your occultism, do you really believe what you preach?

Faith withou Acts is empty.