• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Witchcraft and activism

Xenophon

On Probation
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
In a single word - NEVER!
Always,, always remember 2 seriously important things that will prevent you going to the black & causing yourself all manner of serious grief after this incarnation is done.
1 - First do no harm. (or, do unto others as you would be done by)
2 - Directly out of number 1 is the reason for number 1 - one man's 'freedom fighter' (or activist as they style themselves these days) is the next man's terrorist. Just because you feel strongly for or against a cause or something does not give you the right to use the Arts to interfere - that is the vilest Black Magic and it will cost you everything in the long run.

Never interfere. You are theoretically on a more spiritual path, not a base secular one. Act like it, ffs, or quit the path.
Magick is power. Power can and should be used for ends the agent prizes. "I might get hurt" is sheer cowardice. The world is presently descending into chaos. Quietism is not an option. I see and hear of magick being used for ends I abominate. To sit on the sidelines and say "my path is spiritual" is contemptible.

neilwilkes

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Magick is power. Power can and should be used for ends the agent prizes. "I might get hurt" is sheer cowardice. The world is presently descending into chaos. Quietism is not an option. I see and hear of magick being used for ends I abominate. To sit on the sidelines and say "my path is spiritual" is contemptible.
Sorry but I disagree utterly & totally.
That is like saying 'If I have a bigger stick than you do, it's just fine for me to use that stick to get what I want & to hell with anybody else'.
We're supposed to be better than this.
All that kind of behaviour will ever do is escalate an issue into a major fight, and in those cases the biggest stick generally wins - and just because you have a bigger stick does not make your POV the correct or even the right one.

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Reaction score
Awards
That is like saying 'If I have a bigger stick than you do, it's just fine for me to use that stick to get what I want & to hell with anybody else'.
All that kind of behaviour will ever do is escalate an issue into a major fight, and in those cases the biggest stick generally wins - and just because you have a bigger stick does not make your POV the correct or even the right one.

It's not about having a "bigger stick". Those who fight for the rights of themselves and others are often the ones with the smallest sticks, and this must be cunning with their tactics, or blatant enough to get noticed and win people to their side. Any oppression deserves to be fought back, as a self defense tactic. If you scream about being a pacifist in the face of oppression, you are ultimately siding with the oppressor. Some readings:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Frankly, if you remain silent in the face of oppression, I wonder if one truly stands against oppression.

I'm a bit of a radical in this regard, also as a side note, the whole "do no harm" bullshit is fine and dandy when your opponents act the same, but if someone harms me, you best be sure I'm harming right back.

Xenophon

On Probation
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Considering Thích Nhất Hạnh and many other Buddhist groups...

I think if you don't incorporate your activism with your occultism, do you really believe what you preach?

Faith withou Acts is empty.

A fair point. Before getting into a fight, one has to have spent some considerable time in character training, self-examination, and getting a handle on the world he lives in. One is put in mind of what the old militant monastic orders like the Templars and Teutonic Knights were meant to be. So it is the quality of one's cause that makes it right, yes. Still that often calls for a big stick. (An armed car-jacking is no proper venue for a debate on reparations.) As the chivalrous old Spaniards used to say, "The sword has never blunted the pen." Or, in the erudite Sir Walter Raleigh's version, "Tam marti et mercur." Both Mars and Mercury.
Post automatically merged:

It's not about having a "bigger stick". Those who fight for the rights of themselves and others are often the ones with the smallest sticks, and this must be cunning with their tactics, or blatant enough to get noticed and win people to their side. Any oppression deserves to be fought back, as a self defense tactic. If you scream about being a pacifist in the face of oppression, you are ultimately siding with the oppressor. Some readings:

Frankly, if you remain silent in the face of oppression, I wonder if one truly stands against oppression.

I'm a bit of a radical in this regard, also as a side note, the whole "do no harm" bullshit is fine and dandy when your opponents act the same, but if someone harms me, you best be sure I'm harming right back.
Well-said. Pacifists get fewer and fewer the further one gets from gated neighborhoods.