• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Discussion Wizards and Magic in Fiction

Talk about a book(s)

Jarhyn

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
So, I don't know how others handle wizardry in fiction. I love reading fantasy novels, especially when a wizard is involved.

Between Ursula K LeGuin's Earthsea, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere, or even Scott Meyer's Magic 2.0...

What fictional books about wizards do you like, and why?

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I really really like The M.D. by Thomas M Disch (I'm not sure about the title because I read it in Dutch). It's in the category of Stephen King books I'd say, and Is the story of a young boy who gets contacted by a god and taught magic.
Other than that i haven't read much non fiction the last twenty years or so.

The doctor Strange comics were always awesome. Haven't seen the movie.

Jarhyn

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I really really like The M.D. by Thomas M Disch (I'm not sure about the title because I read it in Dutch). It's in the category of Stephen King books I'd say, and Is the story of a young boy who gets contacted by a god and taught magic.
Other than that i haven't read much non fiction the last twenty years or so.

The doctor Strange comics were always awesome. Haven't seen the movie.
The movie is fucking fantastic. Seriously amazing.

Not to mention the first time I saw it I was tripping balls on acid.

It's probably in my top 3.

Jarhyn

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
So, today I am going to review of Earthsea by Ursula K LeGuin.

A Wizard of Earthsea (and much of the Earthsea books) chronicles the birth of a wizard named Ged.

In this work, core themes of the darkened mirror, and understanding one's nature are explored.

In many ways, the work is one in which many older wizards will see a clear reflection and which many younger wizards may see clarity so as to see better pathways.

In The Tombs of Atuan, LeGuin continues, this time exploring themes of the differences between "Power To" and "Power Over", an important lesson any young (or older) wizard stands to learn.

While the work is explored entirely in abstract terms not actually touching on the realities of how to operate magic, it touches instead on a more important level of wizardry: how to align on and chart one's own path.

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
The movie is fucking fantastic. Seriously amazing.
I'm not really a superhero fan, but that movie really was fantastic!

I definitely read more horror than fantasy, but when you say "wizard", I immediately think Zedd from the Sword of Truth novels. Those are some of my favorite all time books (even if the author was kind of a wanker and was way too into objectivism). I thought they did a great job on the short lived TV series, and Bruce Spence was perfect to play Zedd. Too bad it didn't last. The episodes based directly on the source material were awesome.

Jarhyn

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not really a superhero fan, but that movie really was fantastic!

I definitely read more horror than fantasy, but when you say "wizard", I immediately think Zedd from the Sword of Truth novels. Those are some of my favorite all time books (even if the author was kind of a wanker and was way too into objectivism). I thought they did a great job on the short lived TV series, and Bruce Spence was perfect to play Zedd. Too bad it didn't last. The episodes based directly on the source material were awesome.
I'll agree it was a fun romp in some ways until the author jumped the shark and then started pulling his Randroid bullshit into the mix.

Ultimately I would have appreciated a bit more philosophy into what actually builds a "sword of truth" for the reader. Instead I got some pulpy schlock.

Sadly, the sword was a prop, rather than a deliverable.

Jarhyn

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Another very good piece that resonates very closely to more true forms of magic is Patrick Rothfus's Kingkiller "Trilogy".

I say "trilogy" on account of there only being 2 books and it looks like Pat fell off the wagon on writing the third, and all of it's readers are hanging on hoping he finishes it, which should be somewhere in July if Google isnt just blowing smoke up my ass.

In many ways, his novella in the middle, "The Slow Regard of Silent Things" is a how-to manual on imbuement and investiture of 'natu

In it is also featured a vital tool that will by many be overlooked as a mere plot device: The 'alar', the "riding crop belief" or the ability to hold a belief against immediate and even contradictory knowledge.

Anyway I strongly suggest checking them out.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
If we’re talking about magic users in general and not just the series that strictly call them wizards, there’s a bunch I enjoy. Harry Potter and LOTR of course. Magic: The Gathering, both playing the game and reading the novels they have that explain some of its endless lore. Owl House, the Tales trilogy, Fairy Tail.

One thing I’ve gotten SUPER fucking addicted to is the Shades of Magic book series. It reads like utter crack, and I’m salty for having finished it already. A new trilogy’s coming out soon though, along with possibly a movie in the future, so can’t complain. Just have to wait for what seems like eons, lmao.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Started watching/reading wheel of time. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

Jarhyn

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Started watching/reading wheel of time. Not sure how I feel about it yet.
It's an interesting story, that has a lot of themes of rebirth, improvement, and necessity of dichotomy.

The story and characters don't really start to encode any interesting conflicts or philosophy until you get on past the second book.

Jaide

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I'll agree it was a fun romp in some ways until the author jumped the shark and then started pulling his Randroid bullshit into the mix.

Ultimately I would have appreciated a bit more philosophy into what actually builds a "sword of truth" for the reader. Instead I got some pulpy schlock.

Sadly, the sword was a prop, rather than a deliverable.
"Randroid bullshit" that's officially stolen.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
I'm a fan of the Earthsea books. I would also recommend Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy: The Golden Compass/Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass. I have not watched the television adaptation of those novels.

Merlinscloak

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I liked reading the Dresden files, lots of laughs, I also watched the TV version of the Dresden files, and liked some of the episodes.

Last edited:

Jarhyn

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I liked reading the Dresden files, lots of laughs, I also watched the TV version of the Dresden files, and liked some of the episodes.
Same. There's a lot of shlock in them, but there are some really powerful keys of knowledge buried in there as well.

I'm pretty sure he wrote at least two books just to deliver a single sentence in the proper alignment. Like the whole two books where
He wrote a whole book to set up the death, and a whole second book to run up to setup "lies. Mab cannot change who you are." Such that the reader can remember "cannot change who you are" back at themselves

Oftentimes I find fictions about wizardry and magic thus: it's often a discussion on one tiny tool or object amid a sea of unrelated adventure.

To the right reader such books contain some weapon or tool of real magic, as I have understood it.

Reaction score
Awards
So, I don't know how others handle wizardry in fiction. I love reading fantasy novels, especially when a wizard is involved.

Between Ursula K LeGuin's Earthsea, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere, or even Scott Meyer's Magic 2.0...

What fictional books about wizards do you like, and why?
The old 1980s D&D Choose your Adventure. Pendragon. A few others I loved but don't recall. Necronomicon.

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Steven Erikson’s The Malazan Book of the Fallen is pretty incredible for the depth put into the system of magic and deities - as well as the characters. I’d say it’s an excellent source for any Chaotes looking for an unorthodox place to draw from.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy comprised of The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills and The Last Enchantment. It's historical fiction based loosely on the mythic accounts of Merlin in Geoffrey of Monmouth and others, though it still ranks as fantasy, IMO. In this story, Merlin gives a first person account of being a natural seer or psychic who has visions in a cave of crystals and gets involved in the politics and strife of post-Roman Britain. He goes on to become a type of Renaissance man within the Arthurian cycle, though Stewart attempt to add a historical realism to the legend. I have seen this attempt replicated in a number of films, probably in part based on Stewart's work.