• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Words You Would Never Use

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Me?

"Diverse"---it's basically "varied" dressed up in progressive drag. An entering wedge for enforced mediocrity.

"Trigger Warning"---almost everything can offend someone or other. One refuses to expend his creative juices imagining and guarding against such scenarios. It's the equivalent of a scared sentry shooting at shadows after dark.

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
The Dutch version of God damn it translates as "God damn me". It makes no sense at all. It's the one word that tries to escape from my lips when I'm really pissed but (most of the times) I stop at "God!"

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
The Dutch version of God damn it translates as "God damn me". It makes no sense at all. It's the one word that tries to escape from my lips when I'm really pissed but (most of the times) I stop at "God!"
English has the roughly parallel, "I'll be damned." to express bewilderment or surprise.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
if one word is still totally not done its indeed godverdomme. strange in a quite secular world.
i got kicked in the butt for saying 'i know' and with an other friend for 'i dont know'. so i hardly use those.
i dont use gastarbeider/guest worker nor migrant, nor pharmacist or fin. all totally created racist terms used to degrade groups here. while it actually is classicism. so i use the word expat.
boomer or next gen, also a big no for me. although i smile at boomer and put on the song tnt from minecraft in my head. i song they wanted to forbid, btw. some scare crows.....
i used to know a lot of 'dudes' who couldnt handle the word motherfucker, i still use it and will tell them what she likes too. ;)
when im on mental warfare i cant use any god term, cause it gets taken over and god dies, even The One Who Is Not To Be Named.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not sure there are any words I won't use, excluding ofc terms that are specifically designed to insult someone's race or whatever, unless the context is very clear.

Example: When I saw Richard Pryor's live show on TV years ago, he made such a telling point that a black guy in the audience yelled out "preach, nigga, preach" which I thought was such an excellent statement of affirmation that I have been using "preach, brother/sister, preach" ever since. I can use the n-word whilst telling the story, but not in the actual expression :D

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
"Teleology", specifically in the mode of "teleological", and mainly because I have seen it abused so much I have to keep looking it up in the dictionary. This pattern began when I was reading some Hegelian style blogger who had used it at least five times and had to stop himself in mid-paragraph to say: "Magick is really hard."

So I never use It.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
"Paralelepipedo".

I'll just say "rectangle" and be done with it, math be damned.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
if one word is still totally not done its indeed godverdomme. strange in a quite secular world.
i got kicked in the butt for saying 'i know' and with an other friend for 'i dont know'. so i hardly use those.
i dont use gastarbeider/guest worker nor migrant, nor pharmacist or fin. all totally created racist terms used to degrade groups here. while it actually is classicism. so i use the word expat.
boomer or next gen, also a big no for me. although i smile at boomer and put on the song tnt from minecraft in my head. i song they wanted to forbid, btw. some scare crows.....
i used to know a lot of 'dudes' who couldnt handle the word motherfucker, i still use it and will tell them what she likes too. ;)
when im on mental warfare i cant use any god term, cause it gets taken over and god dies, even The One Who Is Not To Be Named.
Good points and you're right about the God--- curses being overworked.
Post automatically merged:

Now I have to eat some words and use one I swore off of. "Trigger warning" might be useful. I was going to suggest a trigger warning for this forum, for example. "Warning: Post Contains References to Books Worth Reading." My reading list is already too long and grew again this a.m. perusing posts her in W.F.

Moral: don't swear off of a word too carelessly. In 72 hours, it will come back to haunt and allure you like a manipulative ex girlfriend down on her luck.

Ilúvatar

Visitor
Reaction score
Me?

"Diverse"---it's basically "varied" dressed up in progressive drag. An entering wedge for enforced mediocrity.

"Trigger Warning"---almost everything can offend someone or other. One refuses to expend his creative juices imagining and guarding against such scenarios. It's the equivalent of a scared sentry shooting at shadows after dark.
Utilize.... Instead, always "use."

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Utilize.... Instead, always "use."
YES! I went off on a mini-rant just yesterday on the plethora of excess words in English. "'Utilize' is how a pretentious ass uses something."

For that matter, how is "medication" really different from medicine? "The doctor is utilizing medications to control Xeno's violent temper." Well, if the medico wouldn't talk that way, I'd be as placid as a perch-fed pussycat now, wouldn't I, Herr Doktor Horse's-Arzt?"

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
YES! I went off on a mini-rant just yesterday on the plethora of excess words in English. "'Utilize' is how a pretentious ass uses something."

For that matter, how is "medication" really different from medicine? "The doctor is utilizing medications to control Xeno's violent temper." Well, if the medico wouldn't talk that way, I'd be as placid as a perch-fed pussycat now, wouldn't I, Herr Doktor Horse's-Arzt?"
You might be 'under medication'. This is the correct usage.

Some people might get at you for using 'plethora' :D

"I shall be opening a plethora of cans, each of which will contain some whoop-ass"

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
You might be 'under medication'. This is the correct usage.

Some people might get at you for using 'plethora' :D

"I shall be opening a plethora of cans, each of which will contain some whoop-ass"
Or one could just say, "I am taking medicine." I'm not going to let another deadbeat word into my lexicon just so "under" has someone to play with.

The "plethora" was deliberate. An Aussie friend says he once stepped into a small town bar and seeing the surprisingly broad array of offerings said, "You certainly have a plethora!" The bar-keeper replied, "Plethora? No, never heard of that brand." I guess he didn't know it's a whup-ass brand, not a beer one.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
i got me one i use, sorry, because noone wants me too. ill try to write a line too, cause i wanna learn.
my rotterdam roots makes it so that when i offer you a drink, (something i myself would never ever say) it comes out as 'do you need something to drink?' i can feel my mum hitting me now. cause its 'do you want something to drink' and we are edumecated people. needing is a must here, so i dont get the polite lie. im stupid like that.

Aeternus

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
If there is one word that I would certainly not use would be racist words such as the N word or swearing when it cussing about the dead.

But if a malevolent entity tries to disturb me too much, well, mental hell breaks loose 😆

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
For some reason, the word "jug" always triggers me. (Damn! I said "trigger" and wasn't talking to Roy Roger's horse!). Every time I hear an Englishman say "the milk jug" or whichever, I wanna Brit-slap him till he says, "Megan Markle mothered a mess of malevolent miscreants" three times real fast and tongues my Tona Lamas.

IllusiveOwl

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
There's only one word I'd never say, unless I was pulled over, and that's "Avada-Kedavra" 🦉 🪄

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
From Kenny: "Co-sexual"
South Park Kenny? (Or should I say the "always late" Kenny?)
Post automatically merged:

"Purchase." Why waste syllables when you can "buy"? Especially the chock-fulla consonants "--chase".

"At this point in time." By the time you've said it, "now" has long since fled.

"Prudent." Really, since the days of Cotton Mather has anyone except George Bush Sr. ever said that?

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
South Park Kenny? (Or should I say the "always late" Kenny?)
I meant Grant - but at this point, what's the difference? But I won't pick on KG even though I feel like I am now reading Roma - that is, in terms of galactic warfare leading to moral struggles on Earth.

I do reserve the right to use his terms "insectival" and "creative occultism" and many more.

I will pass on "fleshling", however.