• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Words You Would Never Use

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I meant Grant - but at this point, what's the difference? But I won't pick on KG even though I feel like I am now reading Roma - that is, in terms of galactic warfare leading to moral struggles on Earth.

I do reserve the right to use his terms "insectival" and "creative occultism" and many more.

I will pass on "fleshling", however.
"Insectival"?! I don't know what he means by it, but I am going to plagiarize it for my purposes! Sounds sneaky and insidious too, bespeaking a sort of low cunning.

"Fleshling"? That one sounds flat out obscene. Poetic, though. "Flaccid fleshlings a-crawl in wasteland's wandering by-ways." (From a fragment T.S. Eliot shoulda written.)

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Another Dutch "new" thing I don't participate in is referring to people as being black or white.
I know that is how the skin colors have been called in English since way before I was born, but I remember that for the longest time during my life calling someone black was racist. Even the darkest Somalians here are dark brown and not black. And even the lightest of my Caucasian friends in elementary school wasn't "white" (even though the joke always was "let's hope he doesn't have an accident in the winter because they'll won't find him before the snow melts")

It's divisive language that is forced on our younger generations.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Another Dutch "new" thing I don't participate in is referring to people as being black or white.
I know that is how the skin colors have been called in English since way before I was born, but I remember that for the longest time during my life calling someone black was racist. Even the darkest Somalians here are dark brown and not black. And even the lightest of my Caucasian friends in elementary school wasn't "white" (even though the joke always was "let's hope he doesn't have an accident in the winter because they'll won't find him before the snow melts")

It's divisive language that is forced on our younger generations.
There is a lot of biology that points up genetic differences between the (mutuable) races. The Chinese, according to recent news, are even developing race-specific bio-weapons. Should I tell them to scrap that, it's all a matter of language?

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I think you are missing my point. In the English it has been black and white.
In Dutch it always was "gekleurd" and "blank".
The shift to "zwart" en "wit" is only to import the American focus on finding racism in everything. I am blank and not wit.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I think you are missing my point. In the English it has been black and white.
In Dutch it always was "gekleurd" and "blank".
The shift to "zwart" en "wit" is only to import the American focus on finding racism in everything. I am blank and not wit.
Apologies. St. Sebastian should've been me: no point can penetrate.

Though to be accurate, the American penchant for finding race everywhere is a mutation of the virus introduced by representatives of the "Frankfurt School." Themselves parasites in that land as well.