• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

You shall have no other gods before Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
He definitely went ham on them 😂 that was a pretty crazy story. I think they were all like tax collectors and stuff though. I don’t recall his reasoning exactly but I sympathize with the tax thing 😂
There were folks there changing money (for a modest fee, of course) so the temple tax could be paid by worshipers. Then there were also those selling sacrificial animals in the temple itself. Mostly Jesus seems to have been p.o.'ed that the precincts were becoming a scene of secular business dealings. Taxpayer revolt was no overt part of this, though that certainly could be a subtext. His actual teaching on taxes "Render to Caesar &c," seems to acquiesce in paying taxes. (Bertrand Russell claimed to see in that an adroit bit of double talk that sidestepped the question.)I tend to say you have here in embryo the notion of "City of God/ City of Man." The two-truths prestidigitation whereby one can treat the secular powers like a de facto God while consoling oneself that, in one's heart, YHWH remains #1.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Monotheism is all about spiritual exclusivity, about a divine monopoly, and like all monopolies, it's jealously guarded by the monopolist. It doesn't tolerate any opposition, and again like all monopolies, it tends to go stale after some time.

Just a reminder: This thread isn't about the alleged biography of Jesus alone, the Muslim and Judiast perspectives would also be interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.