• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Your primary divination method?

Everyone's got one.

aviaf

Neophyte
Reaction score
I learned the tarot first, then migrated to the i-ching. For the past decade, I've been using runes... also a spirit board and a pendulum, if you have any talent for it the runes and the pendulum are fucking amazingly accurate.

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I read Tarot very occasionally. The range and excellence of its symbolism allows a bunch of stuff to leak out.

My only warning is that if you read more than a couple of weeks ahead, you run the risk of enchanting instead of divining.

Reaction score
It depends on what I want to ask, really.
When it is about making decisions I love Geomancy. Admittingly, I use it like I Ching, to ask for the outcome of an endeavor or action. I have used this successfully (I would say) for financial investments several times.

When it is for mundane things I like to use my gypsy cards (Zigeunerkarten). They work very well for everyday life and the meanings are not hidden behind mountains of symbols, instead they are quite straight forward to read.

When talking to my Guardians I play buzios (cowri shells).

Mannimarco

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, I've been down that rabbit-hole as well, and it ended in analysis paralysis for me.
It's just one of those things that looks like a good idea on the surface, but turns out to be a bad idea in practice.
Agreed. I use pendulum and tarot, and I've tried using them together, getting a basic idea of what direction to look in with the pendulum, and then asking for more detail with tarot. I've never been happy with the results from this. I think part of my problem is tending to "shape" questions differently to better fit the divination mode, and the transition from one mode to another always throws the reading off.

Reaction score
Awards
Geomancy is about to become a new friend. Tarot until then and until astrology is memorized and understood, namely aspects.
Working psychic skills and use of a pendulum is a fair coexisting practice.

Anziel_Merkaba

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Honestly for divination, I've more or less stopped doing divination outside of scrying. Of course if I'm a bit stumped I may pull a card just to give a direction, but usually I just directly pull what I want to know from the aether as it were. Between all the theurgical operations I've done and my deep efforts into developing my visualization, focus, and will, I can generally get whatever I need with a quick 5 minute scrying session.

Doorman

Neophyte
Reaction score
I usually use Tarot. Helps me introspect and think about my actions and feelings as well. I like to image the cards as mirrors of my soul, and whatever I see there, I can see how my actions will affected the future

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
This may come off as a joke to some, but I'm being honest here.
Lately I've been using the site scryfall(a site with a database of basically all MTG(Magic: The Gathering) cards) as a way to divine the answer to any question I might have.

On the very first page of the site you have a search bar and beneath that you have buttons to check "all sets", "advanced search", "syntax guide" and "ramdom card".
Basically what I do is think of the question I have, focus on it, and click that button.
And whatever card comes out I'll try to interpret it's significance towards my question.

It's a very simple method that is less about the method and more about your ability to "divine an answer out of it".
Ps: the site is mobile-friendly too so if you have connection with the internet you can easily "divine an answer" anytime anywhere.
Ps2: I'm not trying to advertise the site, I'm just being honest about how I do it and that site is a major part of it.

Doorman

Neophyte
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can u theoratically make divination out of basically anything? As long as you attribute meaning to the ritual/object beforehand ofc

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can u theoratically make divination out of basically anything? As long as you attribute meaning to the ritual/object beforehand ofc
I can't say as I myself start doing this recently.

But I like to think that anything can be used since in the end what it will fall on to will be your ability to interpret it.
I could use dice and numerology together in order to divine answers too, I just use MTG cards because of their massive numbers and how much you can "glance" from the information of a single card(again, based on the individual's ability to interpret).

Doorman

Neophyte
Reaction score
I can't say as I myself start doing this recently.

But I like to think that anything can be used since in the end what it will fall on to will be your ability to interpret it.
I could use dice and numerology together in order to divine answers too, I just use MTG cards because of their massive numbers and how much you can "glance" from the information of a single card(again, based on the individual's ability to interpret).
What do you think about chaos magick? I was reading that you can basically do any rituals that you want, and as long as you attribute meaning it kinda just works. Is reading magic the gathering cards a form of chaos magick perhaps?

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
What do you think about chaos magick?
A "jack of all trades" system, "on the fly" as much as a magical system can be I guess.
At least to me, that is.

Is reading magic the gathering cards a form of chaos magick perhaps?
Maybe.

It definitely is based on the idea of tarot but it isn't tarot since there are no "set of cards with certain meanings attached to them" in it, but rather cards that you gotta use your insights and perception to try to "read them".
So it's a bit more free than tarot but it depends on you for them to "make any meaning" beyond of their face value.

Doorman

Neophyte
Reaction score
Dude, I was just reading this passage from Advanced Magick for Beginners:
"Eventually, synchronicity will become a perman-ent adaptation. The advanced magician inhabits a world completely saturated with meaning, and the prophetic narrative has replaced causality as the magician's modus operandi. Prophecy is often confused with prediction: the foretelling of a specific event. However, as de-scribed above, prophecy deals with synchronicity or the occurrence of events with the same mean-ing. If one event occurs, another (or more) will oc-cur that shares a fundamentally similar nature. As such, the prophetic narrative is an attitude or view-point, and includes all magical effects, not simply the art of predicting the future, which is known as divination. "

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I've started to get a huge amount out of the Green Glyphs oracle (by the creator of the excellent Prisma Visions tarot deck). It's somewhat LeNormand-like in that the cards are often everyday items rather than esoteric, and you can read them as both nouns and adjectives. (With LeNormand, you draw in pairs or triplets, and read the central card as the 'noun' and the other one or two as modifying that noun).

eg one of my favourite cards is "Yesterday's Coffee" on the bottom row here:
GreenGlyphOracleDeckIndieOracleDecks.heic

(There are 50 cards, this is just a subset - and they have gold iridescent highlights in some highlighted places, which looks odd when photographed)

But LeNormand involves zero intuition (people struggle when they try and apply tarot methods to it), whereas Green Glyphs has become most effective when I let my intution work. Eg the "official" meaning of Yesterday's Coffee is around forgetting something and leaving it till it's no good, but I also associate with a kind of positive "working late into the night on an engaging project" - coffee rings on papers spread over the table.

I didn't do that well with it at first, but I stuck with it out of bloodymindedness because I like the deck, and it's starting to become really effective, with random answers coming into my head that aren't obviously directly given by the cards, but aren't at all what I would have 'ordinarily' thought of.

For the esoteric, I'm currently studying the Thoth tarot, and the Rider Waite is great for shadow work and unearthing complex psychological motivations, but Green Glyphs is really useful for everyday questions. Not everything requires deep psycho-mystical investigation!

Reaction score
Awards
Primary method - Bibliomancy

Regularly - 2 decks of playing cards shuffled together, these days I usually only do 1-3 card pulls

Geomancy - a clear yes/no is helpful at times, especially helps to tease out details of the answer I wasn’t really looking for, used to do this one a lot more but I still fall back to it from time to time

Evocation - getting the answer you “need” for the question you’re “supposed” to be asking

-Eld