• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Zi Dingir

Yazata

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I got Francois Lenormant's Chaldean Magic today. Wish I had gotten it twenty years ago :ROFLMAO: Just in the first few pages that I've read so far I am nodding and "aha!-ing" all the time.

In the first incantation he gives, every section ends with "Spirit of the heavens conjure it! Spirit of the earth conjure it!".
This is of course the Necronomicon's Zi Dingir Anna Kanpa! Zi Dingir Kia Kanpa!. But I thought this was translated as "Spirit of the heavens remember".

So I looked up the Sumerian and was unable to find the word Kanpa. Couldn't find Zi either.

But I could find this:
Se = call
Digir = deity
Kan = gate
Pa e = appear

So it seems "conjure" makes much more sense (gate + appear) than "remember".
Shame the book only has the translations in English and not the (phonetic) originals.

Se Digir Anna Kan Pae! Se Digir Kia Kan Pae!