• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Recommendation Best book on magick for a beginner?

Seeking or giving recommendations for books.
Reaction score
Awards
I figure it is best to start my journey into Magick by first understanding the theory behind it.

Any recommendations for a good theoretical text?
Robert Bruce's Astral Dynamics, Benjamin Rowe's Basic Magick, Agrippa's Three Books of Occult Philosophy, the Shemhamphoresh.
Practical application -- E.A. Koetting's O.A.A. Flame Discourses. Available on Amazon.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Any recommendations for a good theoretical text?
I know of no single book that can provide you with "facts" that will be universally agreed upon by all occultists. For general knowledge presented in an entertaining way there are books in the WF library (and videos on YouTube) by Lon Milo Duquette. Don Webb, Mat Auryn, and Jason Miller have written some popular books as well. You can get some theory at the start of Bardon's Initiation Into Hermetics. How will you know what you can do unless you read a variety of books? The authors I've listed barely scratch the surface. There's no shortage of tedious reading material available that could put an end to your magical life before you get started. Here's a short book that covers the basics without requiring commitment to any particular way of magic:

Reaction score
Awards
Not to mention, branch out and learn other systems. I started Wiccan and gravitated to the Satanic Bible and then The Golden Dawn, and other groups light and dark. My current interests are as on my profile, Shem evocations and planetary work after I master hoodoo and GD techniques and three forms of divination.
Post automatically merged:

If you are drawn to the dark, Satanic Bible and Satanic Rituals, Beginning Luciferian Magick, Book of Star Ahra; Qlippoth, Qabalah and Goetic Magick, Ceremonial Magick Tarot book by DuQuette. Low Magick by DuQuette. Working the Root by Casa Starr. Every book in the library. suck it up, slurp it at once, however you best handle it. But we have resources abundant.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Is Initiation into Hermetics available in the library as well? Also, what do you think of Franz Bardon's other two volumes on Hermetic magic?

However I will say that none of the pdf copies of the IIH I've seen have the best translation and polishing compared to the hard-cover copy I have
Which version do you have? Can you send me a link to it online, or a picture of the front cover so I can search for a scan/equivalent copy?

Genesis? Can I find this text in the site library?

Can you provide a link?

By Genesis he's either referring to the Bible book of Genesis or libgen (book download site)

Also, here are my recommended books, you'll find many of the books mentioned here in this thread with download links:

Al-Zalaam

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Which version do you have? Can you send me a link to it online, or a picture of the front cover so I can search for a scan/equivalent copy?

I had originally set up a whole message here with pictures to send, but it turns out there's no need.
A quick check of the version you linked demonstrated it to be the same polished version I have, as far as I could see in a brief glance.

My statement was based on past experience with pdfs from other places years ago, but the one that has been shared here is much better and the same as mine, astonishingly enough. The pdfs I've had before were quite rough in comparison.

Nobody

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
As a beginner too, I started with the following books. Feel free to also read the different posts on the forum and consult the experience of the different members.

• Modern Magick: Twelve Lessons in the High Magickal Arts by Donald Michael Kraig
  • Liber Null & Psycho Naut by Peter J. Carroll
  • Psychic Self Defense by Dion Fortune

Bo Hanson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Of these, which do you think is best for a novice? Someone who has really only read about this subject in the academic context?
Donald Michael Kraig - Eleven Lessons into Hight Magick. - is a good book for beginners.
Donald Michael Kraig -Modern Magick: Twelve Lessons in the High Magickal Arts (9s the same book but added more chapters and revised).

Reaction score
Awards
Anna Rivas Candle Burning Magic, Phillip Cooper Candle Magic are both good. I would also add in Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce.

Bo Hanson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
It probably is, but if it isn't, I'm sure I have a copy somewhere in my own G-drives.
However I will say that none of the pdf copies of the IIH I've seen have the best translation and polishing compared to the hard-cover copy I have, so some of the passages on the pdfs may seem cryptic or confusing.
In that case, you may wish to get a physical copy, or I could take some pictures of my own pages if there is a particular section you would like to see.

I've studied the IIH and his book on Evocation for many years, but I have not read his book on the qabalah.
My interests are almost entirely centered on Elemental Magic, so that's why I haven't bothered to read that third book.

However, given his profound understanding of magic demonstrated in his other two books, I'm fairly positive that his book on qabalah is just as 100% on point like the rest of his work.
You can't go wrong with any of his works, really.
That's what I love about his materials so much - it's the only material I've ever read that is composed like a perfect recipe, a clear and concise set of instruction that is guaranteed to succeed if followed to the letter from beginning to end.
He leads you through from the most basic development as a novice, to the most advanced skills you can imagine as an adept, all in perfect order and with explicit clarity of what's required.

There is a caveat to Bardon's works though - it requires great dedication and dutifulness on part of the practitioner.
If you do what you're supposed to do, you will succeed without doubt - but you need to be prepared to practice up to an hour a day, every day, and master everything in order as instructed.
It starts off with 10-30 minutes in the beginning, but as you advance, it will lead up to an hour or more of practice a day.
That's the cost of success.

I should also mention that his books themselves need to be completed in a particular order.
If you ever plan on practicing his systems of Evocation or Qabalah, you must complete the entire IIH first. Even in his own words found in these later books, he will insist that you go through the full development of whichever books come before it, because they are bricks which build upon each other.
The IIH is first, the book on Evocation is second, and the Qabalah is third.

This careful and conscientious development of the Self from top to bottom, beginning to end, is what allows for profound success and is the key to the mastery of magic.
Ignoring this order and jumping around as you please, however, is a recipe for failure and stagnation within the path of magic, as can be seen in the fates of many modern practitioners.
I would also recommend:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

In this book you will find a weekly program on exercises given by R Clark, an approximate time is given for the completion of each step, it is briefly explained what each exercise consists of, plus appendices related to the author's experience. It is a very good guide, the author encourages the beginner a lot, but he is also realistic about the immense dedication and perseverance involved in finishing the curriculum of the book “Initiation to Hermeticism”, by Franz Bardon.

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Heads up: Rawn released an updated version of this.

Its called Companions along the way, I think.
Post automatically merged:

The book may be made up of scripts from his newer videos labeled same.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awards
Book4,Ceremonial Magic (Regardie), or Magick in Theory and Practice. I'd say Benjamin Rowes Basick Magic.

DIESELS 1734

Visitor
Reaction score
Hey all:

I am new to the forum and to magick generally.

So far in my journey I've been reading academic works on western esotericism. I'd like to start venturing deeper into magick and I want to ask for your guy's advice on where to start.

Can any recommend their top books for beginners on magick specifically?

Thanks everyone :)

- S33k3r
Hi I stared out with mastering witchcraft back in the 1980s the biology is fantastic

heavysm

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
As an occult and sorcery author myself, I would be honored to help you begin your learnings in magick.

I won't mention my literature and books here, but I would need to know if you would like to begin with angelic or demon magic...or whatever your interests might be.

I state this fully offering to answer any questions you might have in general. I know posting books might not be fully allowed here, considering I am the author posting, but I am fully glad and happy to assist you with whatever type and genre of magick that you might have curious questions with in general. I am stating this wanting to help, and I am just offering some needed assistance to a potential novice or beginner in this subject.

Djnenas

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Hey all:

I am new to the forum and to magick generally.

So far in my journey I've been reading academic works on western esotericism. I'd like to start venturing deeper into magick and I want to ask for your guy's advice on where to start.

Can any recommend their top books for beginners on magick specifically?

Thanks everyone :)

- S33k3r
Hello, so sorry i'm replying to your need so late..:oops:. but i still believe it's better a late answer than none at all;). In my opinion some of the books my fellow members have recommended are truly top notch, but there is one that i believe is very good... i read it a few years back while searching for a single book i could hand my daughter once she reached the right level of maturiy. Jason Miller recommended it in one of his books i read once... i just cant remember in which one it was that he mentioned it... its called Modern Magick: Twelve lessons in the High Magickal Arts by Donald Michael Kraig. It is a huge tome, but it is fairly complete in the general sense of the word. Its like a college type book with exercises at the end of each chapter to test your knowledge. Its ok as a starting point. And of course, like another member observed, it all depends on where you want to go with yourself. Another excellent option in my humble opinion is Gallery of Magick. Anything by any of their authors is great albeit a tad summarized but nonetheless great information that will get you going fairly quick. They got a little bit of everything; Angels, Demons, Chaos, etc... when reading their books you could tell they've been around but their experience of what worked, what rendered the absolute best results is what they bring you. For the more classical approach, then you could read everything else. Sincerely hope this helps guide your path to your best.