• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Recommendation Best book on magick for a beginner?

Seeking or giving recommendations for books.

S33k3r

Neophyte
Reaction score
Hey all:

I am new to the forum and to magick generally.

So far in my journey I've been reading academic works on western esotericism. I'd like to start venturing deeper into magick and I want to ask for your guy's advice on where to start.

Can any recommend their top books for beginners on magick specifically?

Thanks everyone :)

- S33k3r

S33k3r

Neophyte
Reaction score
The Six Ways by Aidan Wachter is my personal favorite so far.

Ophiel and Jason Miller also have good entry-level material.

You can find all of the above in our library here
Thank you very much!

Al-Zalaam

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I may sound like a broken record around here, but I would sincerely recommend Initiation Into Hermetics by Franz Bardon, if you are seriously interested in devoting yourself to magic.
If you're uncertain how far you wish to go or what kind of magic you'd like to pursue, merely complete the first two steps of this book, and you will have an exceptional foundation to pursue any other system of magic you may prefer.

Most modern magicians do not properly develop even the most fundamental foundations necessary for the serious pursuit of magic and consequently struggle to attain basic success and progress, but completing at least the first two steps of the IIH will prevent that (or the first three steps if you have the extra patience).
Mastery of the mind and body through thought-control exercises and physical discipline exercises, and mastery of the Imagination through sensory/visualization exercises, are both essential tools for the practice of magic (at least if you wish to succeed), and these areas are covered within the first two/three steps of the IIH.

If the Elemental Magic presented in the later steps of the IIH do not interest you, then you would be well-equipped to move on into whatever other system you prefer - but the central exercises presented in the first two steps of the IIH are universal in their importance, regardless of what kind of magic you practice, so it would be wise to get those done and over with regardless of your future interests or whatever you wish to study on the side during these first steps.

Beyond this foundation, I can't truly recommend any other material, as any further study is highly dependent on what interests you or what suits the path you wish to follow.

S33k3r

Neophyte
Reaction score
I may sound like a broken record around here, but I would sincerely recommend Initiation Into Hermetics by Franz Bardon, if you are seriously interested in devoting yourself to magic.
If you're uncertain how far you wish to go or what kind of magic you'd like to pursue, merely complete the first two steps of this book, and you will have an exceptional foundation to pursue any other system of magic you may prefer.

Most modern magicians do not properly develop even the most fundamental foundations necessary for the serious pursuit of magic and consequently struggle to attain basic success and progress, but completing at least the first two steps of the IIH will prevent that (or the first three steps if you have the extra patience).
Mastery of the mind and body through thought-control exercises and physical discipline exercises, and mastery of the Imagination through sensory/visualization exercises, are both essential tools for the practice of magic (at least if you wish to succeed), and these areas are covered within the first two/three steps of the IIH.

If the Elemental Magic presented in the later steps of the IIH do not interest you, then you would be well-equipped to move on into whatever other system you prefer - but the central exercises presented in the first two steps of the IIH are universal in their importance, regardless of what kind of magic you practice, so it would be wise to get those done and over with regardless of your future interests or whatever you wish to study on the side during these first steps.

Beyond this foundation, I can't truly recommend any other material, as any further study is highly dependent on what interests you or what suits the path you wish to follow.
Thank you Heydi!

Is Initiation into Hermetics available in the library as well? Also, what do you think of Franz Bardon's other two volumes on Hermetic magic?

Al-Zalaam

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Thank you Heydi!

Is Initiation into Hermetics available in the library as well? Also, what do you think of Franz Bardon's other two volumes on Hermetic magic?

It probably is, but if it isn't, I'm sure I have a copy somewhere in my own G-drives.
However I will say that none of the pdf copies of the IIH I've seen have the best translation and polishing compared to the hard-cover copy I have, so some of the passages on the pdfs may seem cryptic or confusing.
In that case, you may wish to get a physical copy, or I could take some pictures of my own pages if there is a particular section you would like to see.

I've studied the IIH and his book on Evocation for many years, but I have not read his book on the qabalah.
My interests are almost entirely centered on Elemental Magic, so that's why I haven't bothered to read that third book.

However, given his profound understanding of magic demonstrated in his other two books, I'm fairly positive that his book on qabalah is just as 100% on point like the rest of his work.
You can't go wrong with any of his works, really.
That's what I love about his materials so much - it's the only material I've ever read that is composed like a perfect recipe, a clear and concise set of instruction that is guaranteed to succeed if followed to the letter from beginning to end.
He leads you through from the most basic development as a novice, to the most advanced skills you can imagine as an adept, all in perfect order and with explicit clarity of what's required.

There is a caveat to Bardon's works though - it requires great dedication and dutifulness on part of the practitioner.
If you do what you're supposed to do, you will succeed without doubt - but you need to be prepared to practice up to an hour a day, every day, and master everything in order as instructed.
It starts off with 10-30 minutes in the beginning, but as you advance, it will lead up to an hour or more of practice a day.
That's the cost of success.

I should also mention that his books themselves need to be completed in a particular order.
If you ever plan on practicing his systems of Evocation or Qabalah, you must complete the entire IIH first. Even in his own words found in these later books, he will insist that you go through the full development of whichever books come before it, because they are bricks which build upon each other.
The IIH is first, the book on Evocation is second, and the Qabalah is third.

This careful and conscientious development of the Self from top to bottom, beginning to end, is what allows for profound success and is the key to the mastery of magic.
Ignoring this order and jumping around as you please, however, is a recipe for failure and stagnation within the path of magic, as can be seen in the fates of many modern practitioners.

Reaction score
Barret - The Magus
or
Agrippa - Three Books of Occult Philosophy
This ^^ If Ceremonial or Western is what your looking to get into. Agrippa is really all you need. It's foundational and you can go anywhere after you've mastered it. One witch I met even went as far to say that he thought we haven't progressed much since Agrippa at all. He even disregarded Crowly & Bardon which of course I didn't agree with but I saw his point.

S33k3r

Neophyte
Reaction score
This ^^ If Ceremonial or Western is what your looking to get into. Agrippa is really all you need. It's foundational and you can go anywhere after you've mastered it. One witch I met even went as far to say that he thought we haven't progressed much since Agrippa at all. He even disregarded Crowly & Bardon which of course I didn't agree with but I saw his point.
What is the difference between ceremonial and other types of Magick? Is there a set classification between the different types of Magick?

Reaction score
What is the difference between ceremonial and other types of Magick? Is there a set classification between the different types of Magick?
Ceremonial is structured around elaborate sets of rituals and practices (usually Judeo-Christian) I would say more so than other formats of magick. As for set classifications of different forms that's a little bit harder to answer since the answer will vary from person to person. I found this graph from a old post on reddit I think is adequate for explaining gist of the difference.
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

The author explained how the graph was meant to used.

The Graph-

The purpose of this graph is to provide people, especially those new to the occult, with a simple map for easy categorization to help with their exploration of the many belief systems that the occult has to offer. This map/graph that I have put together is based on what I perceive to be the most recurring behaviours that occur under the labels of RHP,LHP, High and Low Magick. It is not a fact, it is not THE TRUTH, it simply has enough consistency to be of some utility if you choose to apply it. As you explore occultism the map will be tweaked, edited, have coffee spilled on it and in all likelihood be discarded by you in favour of your own experiences.

Y Axis-

High and Low Magick here are defined by the inclusion of or lack of a grand narrative. Both High and Low contain varying levels of ritualism. Low Magick is here seen as a skill set much like carpentry or hacking, but of a spiritual nature. High Magick applies these skills but sees them within the context of a complex belief system about the spiritual evolution of the magician and human civilization as a whole while considering the act of Magick as a means of progressing both (eg. The Great Work and the idea of Aeons). Low Magick applies the skills and may even contain “little narratives” but lacks the grand march of destiny idealism found in High Magick.

X Axis-

The RHP and LHP are concepts that have appeared in both western occultism and eastern mysticism. The single most common definition of the two is that the RHP seeks union with God, a return to the source, while the LHP seeks to self deify or enhance the separation between the magician’s ego/identity and God/The Source. For the sake of simplicity we will avoid secondary traits and metaphysical discussions on the two.

CHAOS-

Chaos magic is a set of meta-dogmas or beliefs about beliefs. It offers the practitioner a set of psycho-spiritual tools that allows the mage to appear and disappear within any of the four squares shown in this map.

As you study the many different systems that exist out there you can figure out where many might go on this chart. I think it's going to be subjective for many people.

Link to the original post - https://www.reddit.com/r/occult/comments/vsm99
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

KjEno186

Disciple
Staff member
Jr. Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
have coffee spilled on it
Sounds like a potential Discordian ritual!
Eris/Discordia is the goddess of, well, discord.
Discordians discard dogmas for catmas.
Discordian magic is categorized by some as a form of Chaos magick.

A well known introduction to Chaos Magick is...

S33k3r

Neophyte
Reaction score
Thank you guys so much for all the replies! They have been very informative!

In regards to some of the more well known literature (from say Crowley, Levy, Agrippa, Ficino, etc), which authors and which works would you guys recommend?

Diluculo_DelFuego

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Levi - Book of Splendour, Key of Mysteries, Haute Magic.
Barrett - The Magus
Regardie/Greer - The Golden Dawn
Crowley - The Vision and the Voice et al
Bardon - Initiation into Hermetics
Case - Occult Fundamentals Vol 1, Meditation and Magic Vol 2
McCarthy - Quareia 3 vol Course
Gallery of Magic books
Post automatically merged:

Im not exempt either, I have lots of reading to get done.

Last edited:

S33k3r

Neophyte
Reaction score
Barrett - The Magus
Gallery of Magic books

Of these, which do you think is best for a novice? Someone who has really only read about this subject in the academic context?

Diluculo_DelFuego

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Especilly if soemone is academic about it, Agrippa. If you are looking for a how-to, Kuriakos A Complete Course in Magick, or Koetting's O.A.A. Flame Discourses; Koettings material is quite frankly very good in that book.

S33k3r

Neophyte
Reaction score
Especilly if soemone is academic about it, Agrippa. If you are looking for a how-to, Kuriakos A Complete Course in Magick, or Koetting's O.A.A. Flame Discourses; Koettings material is quite frankly very good in that book.
Thank you very, very much!

Barrett - The Magus
Gallery of Magic books

What do you think about Levi's The History of Magic? I noticed it wasn't mentioned.

What do you think about Levi's The History of Magic? I noticed it wasn't mentioned.

Last edited:

BloodMoon75

Neophyte
Reaction score
It probably is, but if it isn't, I'm sure I have a copy somewhere in my own G-drives.
However I will say that none of the pdf copies of the IIH I've seen have the best translation and polishing compared to the hard-cover copy I have, so some of the passages on the pdfs may seem cryptic or confusing.
In that case, you may wish to get a physical copy, or I could take some pictures of my own pages if there is a particular section you would like to see.

I've studied the IIH and his book on Evocation for many years, but I have not read his book on the qabalah.
My interests are almost entirely centered on Elemental Magic, so that's why I haven't bothered to read that third book.

However, given his profound understanding of magic demonstrated in his other two books, I'm fairly positive that his book on qabalah is just as 100% on point like the rest of his work.
You can't go wrong with any of his works, really.
That's what I love about his materials so much - it's the only material I've ever read that is composed like a perfect recipe, a clear and concise set of instruction that is guaranteed to succeed if followed to the letter from beginning to end.
He leads you through from the most basic development as a novice, to the most advanced skills you can imagine as an adept, all in perfect order and with explicit clarity of what's required.

There is a caveat to Bardon's works though - it requires great dedication and dutifulness on part of the practitioner.
If you do what you're supposed to do, you will succeed without doubt - but you need to be prepared to practice up to an hour a day, every day, and master everything in order as instructed.
It starts off with 10-30 minutes in the beginning, but as you advance, it will lead up to an hour or more of practice a day.
That's the cost of success.

I should also mention that his books themselves need to be completed in a particular order.
If you ever plan on practicing his systems of Evocation or Qabalah, you must complete the entire IIH first. Even in his own words found in these later books, he will insist that you go through the full development of whichever books come before it, because they are bricks which build upon each other.
The IIH is first, the book on Evocation is second, and the Qabalah is third.

This careful and conscientious development of the Self from top to bottom, beginning to end, is what allows for profound success and is the key to the mastery of magic.
Ignoring this order and jumping around as you please, however, is a recipe for failure and stagnation within the path of magic, as can be seen in the fates of many modern practitioners.
Thank you kindly. This helps me as well.

S33k3r

Neophyte
Reaction score
I figure it is best to start my journey into Magick by first understanding the theory behind it.

Any recommendations for a good theoretical text?