• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Book of the Month Club

Everyone's got one.
Reaction score
Awards
What do you all think of starting a Book of the Month Club, where newbies and the experienced alike work through a given book?

The book must be small enough or condensed enough to tackle in a month.
The book must be obtainable online.
The book must be fair to newbies to not require abilities such as clairaudience.
Other rules feel free to add

Recommendation:
A Complete Course in Magick by Kuriakos (in Book Shares)

Reaction score
Awards
Basic Magick by Benjamin Rowe is another suggestion. I believe that is in book shares as well.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
I like the idea. It's just that I'm overwhelmed by books now. I'm still following the monthly chapter by chapter review of Levi's Doctrine and Ritual of High Magic (aka Transcendental Magic) over on John Michael Greer's blog, though I have not actually done his recommended discursive meditations on each chapter and its related tarot card. But I digress...

Here's an idea: Pick a book you like and start a discussion of the book in the part of the forum set up for Book Discussions, and go through it chapter by chapter with your notes on the highlights (and issues, if any) each week. A chapter a week should be enough time for anyone interested in the book, or anyone who becomes interested in it, to read the chapter and post comments about it.

Reaction score
Awards
Chapters One to Seven for first week. 28 Chapters in the book, so seven chapters per week including all exercises to do.
This will involve trance, chakras, and opening up Clair abilities.

Reaction score
Awards
Already read chapter one but its like a zen koan, a lot of instruction and wisdom hidden in a paragraph. Will pay attention to people and sights and sounds around me and try to still the chatter mind and focus, even on mindfulness.

Reaction score
Awards
Paid attention to signs around me for Mars, through still mind observance.
No mental chatter occurred -- 10 min
Saw several signs, geburah, or rather the tree of life was apparent in part.

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
If we are gonna discuss books, we should discuss our understanding of the books.

how they expand our craft and minds.

this isn’t an academic forum, is it?

Reaction score
Awards
Thank you. I know the month of Nov-December Gareth Knight is next.
So far, tried trance and chakra meditations. Tried vibration exercise out of Buckland as well.
Tried seeing signs and sensing energies today (Martial energies).
Tried stillness of mind amidst signs and energies. 10 min highest success.
Tackling Chapter two today while still working on these points.

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Mider, I have already done so. I dont expect overnight results.
Honestly I’m tired of reading you. Every day you post endlessly and it’s nothing new. Or you need to jump into someone’s thread and derail it with your buddy Roma.

your need for attention is getting tiresome.

Reaction score
Awards
I'm trying to be civil @Mider. Originally I suggested a Book Club. Nobody seemed to bite at first. I was already thinking Kurioakos, and someone suggested I pick one and do it so I did. I fell asleep as Ive been having sleep issues, but will be about my work shortly.
Ignoring or muting a person is good sometimes for mental health.

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I'm trying to be civil @Mider. Originally I suggested a Book Club. Nobody seemed to bite at first. I was already thinking Kurioakos, and someone suggested I pick one and do it so I did. I fell asleep as Ive been having sleep issues, but will be about my work shortly.
Ignoring or muting a person is good sometimes for mental health.
You’re testing the limits of my patience, if you think you scare me, you don’t