• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] Close-Up Street Magic?

Someone's asking for help!

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Have you ever considered, or succeeded in, performing simple works of magic out there in public? For example shutting up a dishevelled drunk babbling to himself on the bus, or turning an unfriendly bored salesperson in a shop into a friendly and helpful one? Nothing major or malevolent, just some spontaneous magical interventions to make life easier and more pleasant. How would you go about it? Some pre-prepared sigils in your head and/or hidden mudras or mantras? Spontaneous displays of personal magical power?

I'm asking this because I feel myself drifting more and more ino the general direction of theurgy and self-transformation but I don't want to end up with my head in the heavenly spheres marvelling at astral wonders while totally magically helpless when it comes to everyday minor nuisances. Any ideas?

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Have you ever considered, or succeeded in, performing simple works of magic out there in public? For example shutting up a dishevelled drunk babbling to himself on the bus, or turning an unfriendly bored salesperson in a shop into a friendly and helpful one? Nothing major or malevolent, just some spontaneous magical interventions to make life easier and more pleasant. How would you go about it? Some pre-prepared sigils in your head and/or hidden mudras or mantras? Spontaneous displays of personal magical power?

I'm asking this because I feel myself drifting more and more ino the general direction of theurgy and self-transformation but I don't want to end up with my head in the heavenly spheres marvelling at astral wonders while totally magically helpless when it comes to everyday minor nuisances. Any ideas?
A spontaneous jolt of will has done it a time or two. But such episodes seem to work best when unplanned. Osman Spare used sigils that way: making conscious wishes unconscious by willing then forgetting them. His way of working, though, has never borne much fruit for me. Pre-paration for generic situations might be an avenue to explore.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I just realized that this thread would be better suited for the Occult Q&A section.... oh well, I hope that a discussion originates from this which would make it more appropriate for the General Discussion sub-forum. Anyway, thanks for the input!

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
slightly misleading tittle, lacks the K at the end :ROFLMAO:

Wanted to post this sort of question too.
I had hits and misses with both the k and c types of street magic
however in case of the occult it's basically never on purpose or planned
don't have much of anecdotes though, small things.

marvelling at astral wonders while totally magically helpless when it comes to everyday minor nuisances.
this. so much of this.
looking forward to see where this thread goes.

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
A similar thing when I was on holiday in a remote part of Sweden. We were sitting chatting by the side of a lake when, across the other side of the lake, a dog started barking and broke the stillness. The girl I was talking to said "I wish that dog would shut up", so I looked towards where the barking was coming from (dog was too far away to see) and pointed. Dog shut up. "Wow that was impressive" "Yeah but dogs aren't that bright. He'll forget why he stopped barking in a minute"
Sure enough he started up again. I silenced him again, a short wait, and then he started a third time. This time I just looked towards him and he shut up. At this point I was surprised when the girl (who I was not going out with or anything) said "You may control dogs, but you don't control ME!"

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
"Ah but madame, bitches are our specialty"
in Kenobi voice of course

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
"These are not the droids you're looking for" - yeah, that kind of thing. Being able to drive away would-be muggers would even be more awesome.

RoccoR

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
RE: Close-Up Street Magic?
SUBTOPIC : "simple works of magic out there in public"
⁜→. et al,

To be honest, I do not have Ossicles (
smallest Bone in the Human Body) worth of Magic in my entire body. Nor have I ever really observed a magical or supernatural event. I am a 71 year old and am still searching.

I have over two dozen Grimoire (
or equivalent) in my library. None of the Grimoire offered me and presentation of the Supernatural or magic. But I have not given up yet.

Most Respectfully, Yet Humbled,
R

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
How wude!
In Jar Jar voice of course :)
Post automatically merged:

⁜→. et al,

To be honest, I do not have Ossicles (
smallest Bone in the Human Body) worth of Magic in my entire body. Nor have I ever really observed a magical or supernatural event. I am a 71 year old and am still searching.

I have over two dozen Grimoire (
or equivalent) in my library. None of the Grimoire offered me and presentation of the Supernatural or magic. But I have not given up yet.

Most Respectfully, Yet Humbled,
R
oh noes!

Well the first thing you have to do is declare that you are a magician :) Magic requires a belief system to work, but it's not important what that belief system is. Belief in yourself as a magician is probably the simplest (and cheapest :D ) belief system.

The books are all useless if you don't have your head in the game.

RoccoR

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
⁜→. et al,

Yes, I have to agree with you in a certain respect. I have written a half-dozen or more posts on the aspects of "Faith-Based" → vs → "Non-Faith-Based" notions in magic and the nature of disbelief (
non-believer).
How wude!
In Jar Jar voice of course :)

oh noes!

Well the first thing you have to do is declare that you are a magician :) Magic requires a belief system to work, but it's not important what that belief system is. Belief in yourself as a magician is probably the simplest (and cheapest :D ) belief system.

The books are all useless if you don't have your head in the game.
(COMMENT)

Yes, - "faith" plays a huge part in the understanding on the impact that the belief in the "First Cause," the "Creator," the "Ultimate Power of the Universe," or the "Supreme Being" (
or any other supernatural entity or deities) has in connection with magic and religion. As we pointed out many times before, IF (for instance) you believe in the God of Abraham (in any one of the three Abrahamic Religions) THEN you believe in the supernatural. IF you believe in miracles THEN you believe in a form of magic. IF you believe in the transmutation of the wine/bread into the blood and body of a deity in communion on Sunday, THEN you believe in a form of alchemy. IF you believe in the Story of Genesis (the creation of Heaven and Earth) THEN you have some notion of a Power beyond the universe.

Faith in magic, and other notions tied to metaphysics, come in many different forms. To be a non-believer, you have to deny the existence of a "First Cause," the "Creator," the "Ultimate Power of the Universe," or the "Supreme Being" (and any other supernatural entity or deities).

Most Respectfully,
R

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
⁜→. et al,

Yes, I have to agree with you in a certain respect. I have written a half-dozen or more posts on the aspects of "Faith-Based" → vs → "Non-Faith-Based" notions in magic and the nature of disbelief ( non-believer).

(COMMENT)

Yes, - "faith" plays a huge part in the understanding on the impact that the belief in the "First Cause," the "Creator," the "Ultimate Power of the Universe," or the "Supreme Being" (
or any other supernatural entity or deities) has in connection with magic and religion. As we pointed out many times before, IF (for instance) you believe in the God of Abraham (in any one of the three Abrahamic Religions) THEN you believe in the supernatural. IF you believe in miracles THEN you believe in a form of magic. IF you believe in the transmutation of the wine/bread into the blood and body of a deity in communion on Sunday, THEN you believe in a form of alchemy. IF you believe in the Story of Genesis (the creation of Heaven and Earth) THEN you have some notion of a Power beyond the universe.

Faith in magic, and other notions tied to metaphysics, come in many different forms. To be a non-believer, you have to deny the existence of a "First Cause," the "Creator," the "Ultimate Power of the Universe," or the "Supreme Being" (and any other supernatural entity or deities).

Most Respectfully,
R
I figured out pretty early in my research that it is pointless to spend time trying to prove or disprove the existence of God. As my research went on, I found it easier to explain him instead.

I have said before that I do not believe in the supernatural. I believe that all the things we attribute to the supernatural are natural things that we don't understand yet. I am not asking anyone to agree with me; it is my view.

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I figured out pretty early in my research that it is pointless to spend time trying to prove or disprove the existence of God. As my research went on, I found it easier to explain him instead.

I have said before that I do not believe in the supernatural. I believe that all the things we attribute to the supernatural are natural things that we don't understand yet. I am not asking anyone to agree with me; it is my view.
I think a lot of magi might agree if they pondered it a bit. Personally I hold that different sets of rules obtain in different areas of (possible) experience. That might be believing in the "super-natural," but in this case the supernatural ceases to be "supernatural." It's simply a case of other laws coming into play.

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I think a lot of magi might agree if they pondered it a bit. Personally I hold that different sets of rules obtain in different areas of (possible) experience. That might be believing in the "super-natural," but in this case the supernatural ceases to be "supernatural." It's simply a case of other laws coming into play.
Quite possibly. I've mined a pretty rich seam by looking at how our current understanding might fit together differently. Baby steps :)

RoccoR

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
SUBTOPIC: Do we all understand what is meant when we say:

• Witchcraft?
  • The Occult?
  • The Supernatural?
  • Magic?
  • A Higher Power?
⁜→ Xenophon, Robert Ramsay, et al,

These terms are not interchangeable. The term "supernatural (for instance) does not conflict with either "Religion" or "Science." Simply put, all supernatural means → is that an event or observation transcends the current laws known to apply to the universe (
as we understand them today). Science neither attempts to explain or disprove religious or unexplainable belief systems using the Scientific Method.

Quite possibly. I've mined a pretty rich seam by looking at how our current understanding might fit together differently. Baby steps
(THUMBNAIL PERCEPTION)

I see no reason to challenge the hypothesis (supra) as I don't see any real and tangible evidence to suggest that it has no foundation.

You might be interested to know that the term "Metaphysical" is a belief in the occult - the hidden - the mysterious, → or the supernatural; it tends to superstition but is very religious.* This belief gives its substance over to the building of a perfect consciousness and body (typified by the rebuilding of the Temple and Jerusalem's wall) by obedience to the law of God (signing the covenant). The concept of the supernatural is a theoretical tool that enables us to envisage the union of man with God.**

These are rather tricky concepts to wrap your head around. While there are some blank staqtements that are rediculas, there are some inferences that can be drawn. IF you (actually) "see" an apparition THEN there is some form of energy at play. The question becomes a matter of propagation and reception. That is the point at which an investigatory effort is required.
© Presses Universitaires de France, 1998 and 1999, pg 1534

Most Respectfully,
R

Amur

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I would do it through Neuro-Linguistic Programming and hypnosis. It's pretty easy to do when you know how and has pretty powerful effects.

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Supernatural literally means "above the natural" so can't really be included in the list of "things we don't have laws for yet". Supernatural automatically implies that it is above any natural laws.
"The supernatural as a tool to envisage man's union with God" to me, is more or less equivalent to where Blackadder says to Percy "So, something you have never seen is slightly bluer than something else you have never seen."
Again, I know that these are not popular views, but they are mine 🙂
As Groucho Marx put it: "These are my principles, if you don't like them, I have others" 😁

I would do it through Neuro-Linguistic Programming and hypnosis. It's pretty easy to do when you know how and has pretty powerful effects.
I have heard NLP described as "magic for salesmen" and after reading a couple of books on the subject, I have to agree. I also perused copies of an online NLP magazine, and they are all as into angels and whatnot as anyone who ever walked through the door of Watkins Books.

Last edited: