• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] Close-Up Street Magic?

Someone's asking for help!

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I’m not sure this type of instant Magick is attainable.
Wouldn't it be a riot if it was, though?
The possibility of it, as small as it can be, is very entertaining to think of.

Then when the act is needed burn the Paper Sigil to instantly release that Magickal act.

Though it could be tricky finding some quick way to light a sigil on fire in public.
Write the sigil on flash paper, those burn quickly and you can pass it off as a street magic act(pun definitely intended).Though if people aren't paying attention then it will be over before they can even see it.

I don't think its that easy to replicate without decades spent.
The idea that it can be achieved without spending decades does sound like an interesting challenge.

I may have this romantic image of the powerful sorcerer who passes largely unnoticed but possesses charisma and weird powers if he needs them
I think similarly.

Reaction score
Awards
Ive used mudras before in interviews for jobs with surprising success. Or it was my resume, because it was a short lived process.
Ive called out sports games scores twice with exact results, knowing nothing about sports.
Ive got to say, psychicism skills will take you farther especially with a hermetic approach.

Challis

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
No, sleepy challis wrote this sorry.

I haven't used magic successfully in the public, but I have been successful at home.

I have a family member that wakes up to use the bathroom every night at the same time. This greatly affects their sleep cycles, as they can't fall back to sleep half the time. They are fairly old, so it's been happening for several years.

Recently I decided to try something. Why not.
When I hear the telltale signs of them waking up, I just, idk, gently sooth them back to sleep. Sending ripples of soothing waves saying sleep, just sleep. Just using imagination and will to focus the blanket of sleep to fall over them.
Post automatically merged:

And to clarify, this person hasn't gone under any dietary, medical or lifestyle changes. I just tried something on a whim, and they've slept better for the past week.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
We should also attack the front of dozens of books proclaiming this type of thing.
From what i can tell you have the new avatar type where you chant a bit, i suppose on a daily until it happens
and the "energy" type that was mentioned here, with the visualizing moons behind the eyes and beams and what not.

On the other hand i can't really agree on it not being what "magick" does or a type that exists. If any magick exist this one should too
all of the greats had such feats documented if not made up just to follow up on the magician being able to do anything at all then
i also don't think everything in magick has to take 20 years before you can achieve the bare minimum (and that's on a good day)

im flipping through my library with this in mind but im also busy workin'
so far im slowly getting a bit of an impression that proficiency in this particular sort should be backed by
the individuals affinity. If you are low on empathy or socials then influencing people out of the blue should be hard for you
in other words practice what you preach and the skills will come on their own? seems more valid?
we should dive into more research on this one than assume as by all accounts we have minimal experience with the street work imho

also nice mention of tactical mudras i read one or two of those
and had intentions to incorporate them back in the day.
In my case i understood them as personal states rather than magick in their own right

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Well yesterday I had a schizophrenic attack me because I bumped in to him a little, he went back to his bike to pick up a knife and I kept shouting inside my mind "CALM DOWN!" seems like it worked because he ceased it and just left.
THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Art Thurian

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Have you ever considered, or succeeded in, performing simple works of magic out there in public? For example shutting up a dishevelled drunk babbling to himself on the bus, or turning an unfriendly bored salesperson in a shop into a friendly and helpful one? Nothing major or malevolent, just some spontaneous magical interventions to make life easier and more pleasant. How would you go about it? Some pre-prepared sigils in your head and/or hidden mudras or mantras? Spontaneous displays of personal magical power?

I'm asking this because I feel myself drifting more and more ino the general direction of theurgy and self-transformation but I don't want to end up with my head in the heavenly spheres marvelling at astral wonders while totally magically helpless when it comes to everyday minor nuisances. Any ideas?
I have some difficulty seeing instant magick performing on the street. In other words, magick results will take some time and seldom occur instantly if you are not a master so to speak.

I was chatting to a friend in a pub about magic when a loud siren went off. I pointed at it and it instantly stopped. The guy I was talking to freaked out.
Coincidens or was it?

That's why I asked. It's a bit like @Taudefindi's telekinesis project - I am just curious what others think or have experienced themselves.

I confess I may have this romantic image of the powerful sorcerer who passes largely unnoticed but possesses charisma and weird powers if he needs them, a bit like Carlos Castaneda's Don Juan - people skills on steroids, so to speak. I already suspected that years of mind training (viz. Bardon) will be required, and I accept that even then there are no guarantees. It's not an obsession of mine, currently not even a side quest.

Or it may be that I secretly think that magical training should give me a practical edge over my fellow human beings (just as any newly acquired skill would, really), improved pattern recognition, better memory, more intelligence, in short, it should turn me into the opposite of the stereotypical unworldly occult space cadet. Does meditation enhance my concentration? Maybe a bit, too early to tell. Does the LBRP do anything at all? Not that I've noticed yet although I suspect it may be a beginner's stepping stone for greater things to come. At the moment I'm just glad I moved out of the armchair at last and begun to find out what's possible (in general and for me personally).
I remember in one of Franz Bardon's books the author mentions that he made instant magick when he met one of his enemies on the street when the guy's horses were terrified and started to run away without reason. That's instant magick but who is like him and can perform like Franz Bardon did? Have you thought about that the first 8 steps in Bardon's IHI take a whole life to master or even several lives of reincarnation?

Last edited:

scintillating

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
Many years ago my friend realised that he could force his opponent to make silly mistakes when playing pool by projecting the sound of screaming babies at them when they were about to hit the ball. However, he said that it also made him play worse too. Since I was a rubbish pool player, we used to play doubles and I'd do the baby scream technique, so it wouldn't matter if it put off my game, and he could play unaffected. Definately seemed to work, but we'd only use it if someone was hogging the table. Neither of us had had any magical training at the time.

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I have some difficulty seeing instant magick performing on the street. In other words, magick results will take some time and seldom occur instantly if you are not a master so to speak.

Coincidens or was it?

I remember in one of Franz Bardon's books the author mentions that he made instant magick when he met one of his enemies on the street when the guy's horses were terrified and started to run away without reason. That's instant magick but who is like him and can perform like Franz Bardon did? Have you thought about that the first 8 steps in Bardon's IHI take a whole life to master or even several lives of reincarnation?
I grew up in Montana. There were a LOT of great magicians there, I guess. Horses taking fright for no readily discernible reason...beyond just plain being horses that it. Didn't take me 8 lifetimes to figger out either.

Art Thurian

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I grew up in Montana. There were a LOT of great magicians there, I guess. Horses taking fright for no readily discernible reason...beyond just plain being horses that it. Didn't take me 8 lifetimes to figger out either.
I appreciate your answer and of course not, it did not take you 8 lifetimes to figure out.
But that doesn't mean that you reached and mastered completely the 8 steps of Initiation into Hermetics of Bardon's book, right?

Reaction score
Awards
When I lived in Chicago and worked in chicago, I bought a large umbrella from Macy's. When I would encounter a large crowd walking toward me at the crosswalk giving me nowhere clear to walk except into the path of traffic, I would imagine parting the Red Sea and flip open the umbrella pointing straight at them and they would part just like the red sea.

Art Thurian

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
When I lived in Chicago and worked in chicago, I bought a large umbrella from Macy's. When I would encounter a large crowd walking toward me at the crosswalk giving me nowhere clear to walk except into the path of traffic, I would imagine parting the Red Sea and flip open the umbrella pointing straight at them and they would part just like the red sea.
Interesting!

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Well said. It pays to consider the mundane explanation before going full-frontal Harry Potter in one's account of "experiences".

Caliban

Neophyte
Reaction score
Did a wart cure on a friend in a public park in a big city, because I needed moonlight, running water, and a living tree for it. It was at night - and probably not the weirdest thing people have seen and ignored there. The cure worked. One of my first "but is it really real and am I really doing it?" moments. It used props but was not flashy or attention-getting. The spell I used is from a book - in fact from fiction. It worked anyway.

Much more like what the OP is asking about I have more commonly accomplished in less completely public or mundane surroundings, in the company of others who believe a.) in This Kind of Thing and b.) that I know my way around it.

An anecdote:

I used to read cards at Renaissance Festivals and would make friends with roving flower-vendors to have company on slow mornings and spend a little on fresh flowers to make my space nicer. So, one slow morning I was chit-chatting with my rose-vendor pal who I'll call Lisa (not her name), when down the midway strolls an attractive young fellow who works at a chain mail shop up the way but was in street clothes rather than costume, including an attractively snug pair of jeans.

I see him, Lisa sees him. He is just going where he's going and doesn't notice us at all. Under my breath, I mutter, "Drop a dime."

And, JUST as he passes us, he stops, sees something on the ground and bends over to pick it up, providing a worthwhile view, then continues on his way.

Lisa heard what I said, saw what happened and then LOOKED at me like "???" I just shrugged. But was pleased to have had an actual witness for that one.

Art Thurian

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Point taken.
Your earlier answer experienced with horses suggests your ability to understand and see the practical behavior of these animals, perhaps honed through observation or interaction with these animals. It might be a guess or not, it was your intuition to decipher what you saw. While it may seem like magick to those unfamiliar with horses, the ability to decipher their behavior often comes down to a combination of animal psychology and an understanding of the phenomenon unknown to others. We must trust our intuition in magick because this is a part of us! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.