• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Difficulties in visualization, meditation and magic/spellcasting

Reaction score
Awards
Hello,

All my life Ive had learning disorders and other phobias and disorders. Some affect me to this day like ADD, lack of comprehension, etc but now I can read doctorate material and understand most of it.

However, with ADD and learning issues, there is also aphasia and most of all lack of emotions (at all).

When I had a last psychotic episode, I became completely and near totally emotionally numb, thanks be to God who spoke to me recently. (through a tongues praying friend), words were said only7 God would know, and I feel an occasional crown tingle, and some sensitivity and compassion towards others lately.

Any advice would be helpful to myself and others. I do go to therapist aid and NAMI.

Reaction score
Awards
I tried changing color in the Middle Pillar to Violet which worked, but was seeing Orange in the throat sphere, crown I see white for a few seconds and it disappears, so I have to force a visualization.
Originally it was as if a red and black horned vine I saw, now its more like an eye, a round human eye of sorts, but yellow and red.

Al-Zalaam

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Hello,

All my life Ive had learning disorders and other phobias and disorders. Some affect me to this day like ADD, lack of comprehension, etc but now I can read doctorate material and understand most of it.

However, with ADD and learning issues, there is also aphasia and most of all lack of emotions (at all).

When I had a last psychotic episode, I became completely and near totally emotionally numb, thanks be to God who spoke to me recently. (through a tongues praying friend), words were said only7 God would know, and I feel an occasional crown tingle, and some sensitivity and compassion towards others lately.

Any advice would be helpful to myself and others. I do go to therapist aid and NAMI.

Have you ever been properly initiated through the basics of mental mastery as part of your magical path?
I would not blame you if you haven't, most modern texts and systems I've seen just seem to gloss over such things and dive rashly into the "magic".

However, this unfortunate omission is quite a disservice to practitioners, because it undermines their ability to effectively pursue magic in the long run.
And for those like yourself, it is also keeping you from attaining the mental control and refinement you desire, besides just merely effecting your magical capabilities.

For the average person, pursuing the path of magic without proper development of the mental foundation will usually result in simple failure or lack of significant progress.
But for those that are unstable or suffer from mental imbalances, pursuing magic without these fundamentals is downright dangerous.
Magic is already a very precarious and intricate mental art that flexes and tests the mind, but engaging in it without stability and a solid grasp of one's mental being just makes it a game of russian roulette with their sanity, and even possibly their life.

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not trying to be discouraging of you or those that are of an irregular mental composition - I am one of those kinds of people myself.
My issues were simply the opposite of one of yours, I was this unfathomably deep sea of emotion and dominated by dark impulses throughout my life.
It made for a very perilous and dangerous road for myself, and I also revolved in-and-out of mental hospitals and therapy.

But it is because of my experience in this sense, that I must absolutely emphasize the need for a mental initiation.
Magic is not just about spells and invocations, it is a comprehensive path which covers all levels of being, including the fundamental self-mastery of the consciousness and spirit, and it is especially important for those like ourselves who are subject to such hazardous mental compositions to make sure this is done well.
Not only will this ensure you can effectively pursue magic, but it can gift you with the degree of mental control, refinement, and stability you need to turn the tide and live your life without so much trouble from you mental disposition.
I can certainly vouch for it's importance personally speaking, for if it were not for my journey through the mental side of magical development, I can surely say that I would have long since been either dead or in jail for life.

So I would suggest that you consider making mental initiation one of the fundamental priorities of your path, and include such things as a significant part of your daily routine.
I have mentioned three of the fundamental exercises of mental initiation in one of my responses in another thread, but if you would like more information about them I can explain them further.

You also mention the development of Visualization, which indeed is a very important tool for the practice of magic, but the steps to develop it rest upon the foundation of the mental exercises I have already mentioned.
Literally speaking, effectively developing Visualization requires the faculties provided by those exercises, and the exercises to develop Visualization itself is simply an extension of the others, so it is best to do them in order.

Without this development of self-mastery and mental refinement, magic will always be a slippery snake that challenges you for every degree of success - but if you actually go through the effort of proper mental initiation, you will have the tools to engage in magical operations with potency and consistent effectiveness, and it will feel like a breeze in comparison to how it was before.
But beyond magic itself, you may also appreciate the ability to more deeply control yourself and the improvement of your mental health that such initiation would bring as well.

league

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Hello,

Meditation is certainly a tough one for anyone to master. In todays world we are in a instant hurry, technology is working against us in that factor. I suggest start with a 1 or 2 minute at night before bed and work your way up to 5 minutes.

Visualization becomes easier as you can master control of meditation for over 5 minutes. Visualization than can be more controlled and not as reckless and prone to failure.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Have you ever noticed how easy it is to visualize naked people?
In one of Dion Fortune's books on Kabalah she describes the magical images for the sephiroth. They are naked people. I think precisely for that reason. Start with a beautiful naked woman on a throne (Malkuth) and let that be the beginning of your pathworking / visualisation.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
One thing you might try is to use a clock or watch with a second hand. Focus on the second hand and try to push against it with your mind. The idea is to use the "tick tock" rhythm to focus your awareness and silence your thoughts. The concentration habit you can develop then serves as a gateway to meditations, etc. The useful thing about this is that it is portable and something that is easy to return to if you find yourself lapsing. You can use this tool anywhere, even in noisy, busy places.

Reaction score
Awards
Since I've recently had problems visualizing color after having vivid dreams, I need to revisit the solutions recommended in this thread.
All I see is blackness, and sometimes a face with a mustache. Sometimes a web of thorns, red on black. Anyone break through this, it got subtly better today but not vivid color or brightness. I guess at the least, practice persistently will make perfect.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
All of the inner senses can be developed on each subplane:

• acquire the substance/energy of that subplane
  • by practice, form the substance into sense organs
  • use the sense organs to establish constructive relationships with those that live/operate on those subplanes.

When first accessing a new/higher subplane, the senses hardly operate since the relevant sense organs have not been formed

learning disorders and other phobias and disorders.
Phobias are usually traumas carried over from past lives etc. I hated waking up in coffins.

Learning disorders can be missing etheric substance in the brain and nervous system, but also interference by adverse entities, and of course deep trauma

Reaction score
Awards
Okay, perhaps a more simple approach...

A person closes their eyes. They then see a black or a flesh color.

They are instructed to visualize a blue or white flame.

The person can briefly .. or not at all, visualize a geometric pattern or polygon in blue or white flame.

Now imagine complicating the matter of drawing that same polygon or geometric shape on four directions.

Now imagine the same time a white or blue horizontal circle connecting the polygon or geometric shape on four quarters.

If a person cannot do a Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram eyes closed .. or open, how are they supposed to banish adverse entities or a feeling/emotion?

This is the Crux of the problem .. I have difficulties visualizing at times which singles out aphasia from the problem.
Post automatically merged:

So ... Meditation mastery, mental initiation, using metronomes or clock hands, visualizing naked people, trying to rise on the subplanes. All worth a shot.

Last edited:

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
If a person cannot do a Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram eyes closed .. or open, how are they supposed to banish adverse entities
How do they banish in other cultures?

The heart light carries authority beyond that of most adverse entities. The major exception is permissions that over-ride so-called banishings

Reaction score
Awards
So how do I revoke any and all permissions from adverse entities?

I'm simply trying to do my best at visualizing, even eyes open, but eyes closed it is extremely difficult.

With meditating on the point or point-line leading to the cube, even that is difficult with white or blue or yellow light. It is .. simply darkness.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
So how do I revoke any and all permissions from adverse entities?

Mostly it is sufficient to forgive yourself and forgive the others involved. Complications arise when the memory of the permissive action/inaction has been deleted/forgotten.

Then loving oneself is central and growing out of the subplanes on which the permissions exist

do my best at visualizing, even eyes open, but eyes closed it is extremely difficult.

Sight is not usually the first inner sense to be developed. Usually it is touch - being able to feel the inner planes energy/object/entity

Reaction score
Awards
I was able to visualize a bit better with banishings in Zelator Formula this evening. Wil still try the suggestions. A meditation on the point seemed to help. So was exertion of will in visualizing.

Crows&Ravens

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I agree with Roma, I can't visualise at times myself but I feel and I know that my magical workings have had some what success.

Its kind of annoying not being able to visualise and that's probably something that has derailed most of my magical workings because it made me unmotivated, frustrated, angry and full of doubts....ingredients for failures.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Practice persistently seems key.
I was reading
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
about why so many people are into AI chat role play when it "serves no purpose." I could easily go off on a tangent here about the technological aspects, but let's focus on the topic. Role play is "visualization" for fun. The issue for many people these days is, as pointed out in that Reddit thread, that getting people together for creative endeavors can be difficult. And if one does have the occasional opportunities to engage with a group of people, wouldn't it be a good idea to have some way to practice on one's own? One could use AI chat. Consider it a mental exercise, just like running on a treadmill is an exercise for the body. The treadmill is less ideal than going on a group run with some friends out in the fresh air, but you'll be a better runner and racer even, if you've had that practice time on a treadmill.

I propose that the mental exercise of imagining things, people, places, etc., and then putting those mental constructs into words in an enjoyable "game" of role playing is exactly the kind of practice needed to improve visualization skills. In fact, not long after I read part of that Reddit thread, I read the following in Colin Wilson's Beyond the Occult:

So what we are doing with our slow and clumsy logic is advancing step by step into the realm of pure intuition, the mystical realm glimpsed by Ward and Ouspensky. It is of course very pleasant to have mystical glimpses of the meaning of life, but what gives human beings really deep satisfaction is to pin them down in words so that they cannot escape.
...​
The invention of the drama in ancient Greece was one of the most important steps in this development. It taught men that they possess a theatre inside their own heads, and in this theatre Socrates and Plato taught their pupils to stage dramas of ideas. The evolution of man over the next two thousand years was the evolution of this inner theatre. Another name for it is imagination, for what it actually means is that man is playing out the dramas of the external world on an internal stage. And the development of imagination made man realize that this inner world is independent of the accidents and contingencies of matter. It was this recognition that transformed him from a remarkably intelligent ape into a being who recognized — no matter how dimly — that he was potentially a god.​

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Colin Wilson's Beyond the Occult:

. what gives human beings really deep satisfaction is to pin them down in words so that they cannot escape

I had lunch with Colin Wilson long ago, and was not particularly impressed. In his above statement he was likely generalizing from his own experience.

Many humans find heart reality much more important than mental constructs defining/limiting the meaning of words

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
how are they supposed to banish adverse entities or a feeling/emotion?

LBRP isn't the only form of banishing, though I understand why you'd want to stick to it given you're working through a GD curriculum

I've put a couple of chaos magic ones below and one with a more traditional (but not GD) basis. These weren't written by me. I tend not to note where I grab stuff from because it's just for my personal use, but you can google the titles.

Here's one that requires no visualisation (sorry for lack of formatting - all the formatting options are greyed out for me for some reason):
----

Banishing for Busy People

Banishing is a ritual for making a safe space to practice magic for a limited time.
There are a lot of traditional banishing rituals. They require a lot of buy-in on the part of the practitioner. If you've got one you like, use it!

The following minimalist ritual can be helpful for anyone else who thinks that a little extra protection while making magic is good insurance. It doesn't require a lot of extra work.

Get all your stuff for doing magic in one place. Double check. Triple check. You don't want to have to leave the safe area to get a pencil sharpener or lube or whatever.

1. Start by saying, "I am doing magic now."

2. Name your protector. "_____ protects me from harm." If you've already got a relationship with patrons, friends or servants, you can name them. If not, you can name Beginner's Luck. You can also name a magical weapon or talisman you have with you, like a knife, amulet, crystal, or rattle. If you don't like depending on external entities, you can also name your own personal qualities, like, "my good intentions" or "my wizardly skills" or "my rippling biceps".

3. If you have any offerings for your protector, give them now. Otherwise, this is a good point to shake your rattle, wave around your patron's sigil, or flex those 24-inch pythons.

4. Delineate your safe area. You can do this by putting objects out at the corners or sides, or drawing on the floor if you can, or making a blanket fort, or just tracing a line with your pointed finger.

5.Say, "This is my safe area. Any who wish me harm must leave. Go!" Give them a second to pack up and get out.

[More formal option:
"All entities who do not wish to help, depart now, for you have no lawful business here. In the holy names of Pentagrammaton, Yeheshuah and Yehovashah, I command you to go! Yet go in peace, and fare you well."

6. Say, "As long as I stay in this area, I am safe from those who wish me harm, and from my own mistakes."

7. Do your magic. Don't leave the safe area! This should be obvious. If you forgot some object, end the ritual and start again. Sorry, but I did warn you!

8. When you're done, thank your protector. More offerings are ok here.

9. Say "I am done doing magic now." Clear any boundaries you've put around your space.

10. Leave the space. You're safe to do so.

---
This one requires only a very simple visualisation:

Banishing of Lesser Bullshit

Step 1: Imagine a speck of pure, concentrated light. If doing this to an object/place, put it in the very center of it. If doing this to you or someone else, put that biatch somewhere in the chest/solar plexus area.

Step 2: Now make this light slowly expand, in all directions as a sphere. As it gets bigger and bigger, it pushes everything else out. Where that light exists, darkness cannot. Don't just imagine it, WILL it. You have to use willpower here as well as thinking in absolutes, or this method will not work.

Step 3: Expand till big enough to surround the target in question. By this point, all the bullshit will have been pushed directly outside the sphere you've created. Take this bullshit, and push it into the ground.

Step 4: At this point, you can either dissipate this sphere of light or harden it off into a shield on the outside, since you're already halfway there. Whichever one suits you.

---
Another simpler visualisation one. This is more traditional and gets its power from physical gesture and sound

AL-KT Fist Slam Banishing

Face the anchor direction (eg east). Step back one pace so you’re just behind the center of the circle.

Visualize a ring of light hovering at around heart level at the boundary of the circle. This is a protective circle of light, so a color reflective of that is suggested. White is always appropriate.

Let a point on the ring in the anchor direction glow exceptionally bright. Grab that point of light and hold it with your dominant hand in a fist.

Bring that point of light to the center of the circle. As you do so, visualize the point of light glowing brighter and brighter as you intone AL more and more forcefully. (I go AAAAAALLLLLLL while rising in volume and pitch, building up to a crescendo)

Once the point of light reaches the center of the circle, slam your fist down on the center of the ground, exclaiming KT loudly and powerfully (kuht! not kay-tee). As the point of light and your fist strike the ground, see a ripple of energy from the force emanate from the center outwards, cleansing out the energies from yourself and the circle while strengthening the circle’s boundary.

If you can't imagine the ripple of energy, that's okay, because your fist slam has created literal vibration in the air for you

---
There's others, these are just ones I had saved