• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Do you have an Altar?

TheMouse

Neophyte
Reaction score
. . . my personal practices are chaotic and constantly shifting . . . i hadnt had an altar for a really long time (like, Yeeears) . . . i set one up a couple months ago and Wow! . . it is Really helping to focus and direct my energies right now . . . . . . . it’s pretty simple . . stuff to represent the elements . a little olive oil lamp that burns all day . some meaningful crystals and herbs . personal stuff that’s significant regarding specific and general matters . . . . i put it right in the middle of things so i pass it several times a day and can see it from my “Spot” where i spend much time . . . if it were tucked away into a corner i’d ignore it (those poor forgotten things in my corners) . . . . . when i put the altar together i made the choice to burn olive oil instead of prayer candles (even without an altar i always have a flame burning while im home and awake) . . . i got these little floating wicks that sit on top of olive oil in a little jar . . . just lovely . . . . sometimes i put essential oils in the olive oil for extra umph . . . frankincense, etc. . . . . . . . . . .

Reaction score
Awards
Circumstances. Not my own space. Using "The Big Voice" is willing and vibrating the words of power inside your head with conscious intent as to the task at hand. Full visualization and physical movement but no voice, not even whispers.

revilo

Visitor
Reaction score
i have an... attempt at an altar. i set it up when i moved, recently, but have not really touched it since. perhaps the stagnance in my life is a reflection of my overlooking of it. i suppose its as good of a time as any to work on it, perhaps it will give me freshness of mind

Tiana Silvermoon

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Oh, just the thread I was going to look for or make if there wasn't one :D
I've heard of assemblable altars, when you don't have an open and stationary altar but have all the thing for it near you and assemble them into one when you need to. Was curious how different people do that, also was hoping to gather some ideas how to make it myself, because I can't have a proper altar at the moment: no space and no desire to show it to anyone.

Reaction score
Awards
Oh, just the thread I was going to look for or make if there wasn't one :D
I've heard of assemblable altars, when you don't have an open and stationary altar but have all the thing for it near you and assemble them into one when you need to. Was curious how different people do that, also was hoping to gather some ideas how to make it myself, because I can't have a proper altar at the moment: no space and no desire to show it to anyone.
I use to travel pretty extensively so I put together a traveling alter in a large thick leather satchel. I had each item for the altar wrapped in fabrics of appropriate color and material. When I got to my hotel I would start with prayers and rituals to prepare the space then I would set up my altar in a very deliberate way as part of a ritual. It worked really well for me…except for that one time I forgot to put the do not disturb sign on the door when I left for the day :)

-Eld

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I had an altar once, but while going and still am going through the Dark Night of the Soul process. I got rid of it. I was just mad at the whole Spiritual thing. I felt and still feel like I'm not getting anywhere. So, I decided to stop and give myself a reset. Started fresh. Till I call upon The Goddess this morning. 12/9/23

TheMouse

Neophyte
Reaction score
i have an... attempt at an altar. i set it up when i moved, recently, but have not really touched it since. perhaps the stagnance in my life is a reflection of my overlooking of it. i suppose its as good of a time as any to work on it, perhaps it will give me freshness of mind
the reason i set up my altar was because i felt totally lost about what to do about a bunch of stuff . . . just the simple act of choosing things to put on the altar started to help me zero in on my priorities, my feelings and where i want my energy to go . . . . .
Post automatically merged:

I always set up one and then never use it 😫
that's interesting in itself . . . ive done that sort of thing too . . repeatedly . . . . .

assemblable altars
during times when i dont have an altar (that's most of the time) . . i sort of expand the whole idea of altar and put that energy into, for example, one small object or the way i arrange the art and lamps in a corner of my house . . . . i always carry certain things with me . . like a small crystal or two and particular essential oils . . and i always have a flame burning in my house which serves as an energetic focal point and portal as needed . . . small reminders and places to rest my mind . . . . . . .

do not disturb sign
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Never felt the need for one, so don't have one :)
that's interesting too . . . and points to the all important process of coming to conclusions about what we need and dont need in our practices . . . that's one of things i enjoy most about this community . . we're each making it up for ourselves . . . . . .

I had an altar once, but while going and still am going through the Dark Night of the Soul process. I got rid of it. I was just mad at the whole Spiritual thing. I felt and still feel like I'm not getting anywhere. So, I decided to stop and give myself a reset. Started fresh. Till I call upon The Goddess this morning. 12/9/23
Resets are important . . . and ive found anger is an important part of the process too . . it can be the rocket fuel that gets us out of a rut . . . . . when and if it's time for another altar . . itll be a whole fresh new deal . . . . . .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awards
I've had a couple. The first one I had was high, but smaller than a chessboard, an old sewing or knitting table with a hinged top and a hidden area inside.

The next one I had was a wooden folding chessboard that would place on the floor and do my rituals with, until moved my space to the living room and used a chest as the altar with my chessboard atop.

Romolo

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
My altars are usually just crates covered by a sheet or shawl. I put a pillow in front of them so that I can sit down and pull a tarot card. It is just a place to step out of the madness of the world. I always leave a bowl of water in the evening, so that fresh water is waiting for me on my return the next day. I like to have my altar without candles, cause I feel candles attract entities.

TheMouse

Neophyte
Reaction score
a hinged top and a hidden area inside
i like that . . .

a place to step out of the madness of the world.
yes.

fresh water is waiting for me on my return the next day
nice

I feel candles attract entities.
interesting . . . ive never thought of that . . . is that a common belief or something you intuited?

chessboard
how do you use the chessboard? . . if that's private that's ok . . . . .

Last edited:

Romolo

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
interesting . . . ive never thought of that . . . is that a common belief or something you intuited?
I don’t think it is common, but it is one of the key principles of my Druidic practice. A bowl of water is the alchemist opposite of the candle. Water connects me to what is hidden and unknown. The bowl reminds me of the bucket going down in the well. When I sit at my altar I want to explore what is hidden within me and around me. I don’t want to attract even more things into the equation, as a candle would do.

TheMouse

Neophyte
Reaction score
I don’t think it is common, but it is one of the key principles of my Druidic practice. A bowl of water is the alchemist opposite of the candle. Water connects me to what is hidden and unknown. The bowl reminds me of the bucket going down in the well. When I sit at my altar I want to explore what is hidden within me and around me. I don’t want to attract even more things into the equation, as a candle would do.
thank you for that articulation . . . all that you say about the water really resonates with me . . . . .

RoccoR

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
RE: Do you have an Altar?
SUBTOPIC: Necessity or Not?
※→
et al,

(THUMBNAIL SIMPLIFICATION)

The solution to the fundamental question on the "alter" comes in two segments that are entangled:

Breaking out the absolute understanding of the "alter" → the purpose and mechanics (leaving all other questions aside) it serves in the supernatural conjuring derived from behind the metaphysical properties of magic and powers → the two segments are:

◈ Meditation by the Practitioner and Communication
✦ Dark surroundings make distractions fade away.
✦ Candles around the room allow any member of a magic circle to focus on a flame without interference. A single practitioner needs only one candle (whatever makes them comfortable).
A chant or prayer helps the practitioner envision the supernatural entity or celestial guardian they (wish to communicate) recognize.
◈ Ritual Practice and Methodology
✦ Helps establish a system of principles for invocations, incantations, and prayers.
✦ Helps the practitioner to reproduce a series of words, or spells, or activate talismans, amulets, and charms to achieve the same positive results previously acquired.

(ANSWER)

Yes → I have used and helped others to build simple "alters." This would include the inlay of sanctified material and the use of consecrated ground.

Most Respectfully,
R

TheMouse

Neophyte
Reaction score
RE: Do you have an Altar?
SUBTOPIC: Necessity or Not?
※→
et al,

(THUMBNAIL SIMPLIFICATION)

The solution to the fundamental question on the "alter" comes in two segments that are entangled:

Breaking out the absolute understanding of the "alter" → the purpose and mechanics (leaving all other questions aside) it serves in the supernatural conjuring derived from behind the metaphysical properties of magic and powers → the two segments are:

◈ Meditation by the Practitioner and Communication
✦ Dark surroundings make distractions fade away.
✦ Candles around the room allow any member of a magic circle to focus on a flame without interference. A single practitioner needs only one candle (whatever makes them comfortable).
A chant or prayer helps the practitioner envision the supernatural entity or celestial guardian they (wish to communicate) recognize.
◈ Ritual Practice and Methodology
✦ Helps establish a system of principles for invocations, incantations, and prayers.
✦ Helps the practitioner to reproduce a series of words, or spells, or activate talismans, amulets, and charms to achieve the same positive results previously acquired.

(ANSWER)

Yes → I have used and helped others to build simple "alters." This would include the inlay of sanctified material and the use of consecrated ground.

Most Respectfully,
R
thanks for breaking that down . . . it's interesting that you say "alter" . . i'd like to hear your thoughts on the word itself . . . . .