• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

FIRST SIGIL IDEAS!

nightly

Neophyte
Reaction score
Warned: Wrong section
just began, still learning and getting hang on the basics of basics, dont have any tools of any sort and cant afford to buy anything as of yet, so starting with a sigil, so what sigils u think can be good to start with?

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards

nightly

Neophyte
Reaction score

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
just began, still learning and getting hang on the basics of basics, dont have any tools of any sort and cant afford to buy anything as of yet, so starting with a sigil, so what sigils u think can be good to start with?
You can google Austin Osman Spare and sigils. He has an interesting method and one fairly straightforward (though his own writing style verges on---and slides on into---incoherence.)

Also the book NAOS has a section on sigils, though the thinking behind these is a bit more recondite.

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Hey, though HoldAll gave you a book suggestion, I can recommend Advanced Magick for Beginners by Alan Chapman, the book changed my thinking greatly with a lot of excersises I wouldn't think otherwise, various types of sigils included.

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
You can google Austin Osman Spare and sigils. He has an interesting method and one fairly straightforward (though his own writing style verges on---and slides on into---incoherence.)
I have a copy of "The Book of Pleasure in Plain English"

In the introduction: "It has been said that whilst the writings of Austin Osman Spare have been translated (amazingly!) into a number of foreign languages, they have yet to be translated into English."
Post automatically merged:

Hey, though HoldAll gave you a book suggestion, I can recommend Advanced Magick for Beginners by Alan Chapman, the book changed my thinking greatly with a lot of excersises I wouldn't think otherwise, various types of sigils included.
This is totally one of my "goto" books for teaching magic in plain, straightforward language.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards

In the introduction: "It has been said that whilst the writings of Austin Osman Spare have been translated (amazingly!) into a number of foreign languages, they have yet to be translated into English."

This is totally one of my "goto" books for teaching magic in plain, straightforward language.
Yes, Spare writes in no known language. I have read exculpatory treatments of his writing, but have never been convinced. Maybe he should have written in free verse and bypassed prose. But even free verse takes discipline and Spare seems sorely lacking in that department.

Anziel_Merkaba

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
You just need a pen and paper. Think about the outcome you want the sigil to have, and then imagine a symbol to represent that outcome. Draw the symbol you came up with. Not exactly rocket surgery. Have fun with it, you'll have more luck doing it than hemming and hawing over "trying to do it the right way".

nightly

Neophyte
Reaction score

Also the book NAOS has a section on sigils, though the thinking behind these is a bit more recondite.
yaaaaaa i did read his book of pleasure andddddd i have hard time understanding any of it XD its weird, i do like how poetic it sounds tho, but doesnt feel like a direct help, and i couldnt find something or someone to help explaining it

i did read it and i connected a lot to it, but i thought i need more learning of sigils before i can start following the steps in it

heeh thanks for mentioning that book, else i wouldnd understand what osman was saying, tho kinda of interesting how some languages can have easier time with more poetical wordings than others

You just need a pen and paper. Think about the outcome you want the sigil to have, and then imagine a symbol to represent that outcome. Draw the symbol you came up with. Not exactly rocket surgery. Have fun with it, you'll have more luck doing it than hemming and hawing over "trying to do it the right way".
simplicity is scary but fair point TT tho i still did get value from reading books and tutorials, connecting ideas and such

Last edited:

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
This book is more artistic and doesn't hang everything on the sentence of desire. You could also construct your sigil according to Spare's method and then give it some extra oomph using the embellishments the author suggests here:

nightly

Neophyte
Reaction score
This book is more artistic and doesn't hang everything on the sentence of desire. You could also construct your sigil according to Spare's method and then give it some extra oomph using the embellishments the author suggests here:

thankssss

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
yaaaaaa i did read his book of pleasure andddddd i have hard time understanding any of it XD its weird, i do like how poetic it sounds tho, but doesnt feel like a direct help, and i couldnt find something or someone to help explaining it

i did read it and i connected a lot to it, but i thought i need more learning of sigils before i can start following the steps in it

heeh thanks for mentioning that book, else i wouldnd understand what osman was saying, tho kinda of interesting how some languages can have easier time with more poetical wordings than others

simplicity is scary but fair point TT tho i still did get value from reading books and tutorials, connecting ideas and such
I think I read an article or two about his approach to sigils at heremetic.com before I read any of his stuff in the original Gibberish. It was useful.

Bicpen

Visitor
Reaction score
I would just start with creating sigils for the tools etc you can't afford or for extra money. (You may also want to look into cleansing and consecrating regular items to use them as tools to get started.)
If you don't make just one sigil dedicated to tools, but divide it up in seperate ones for candles, a knife etc so you will end up with a heap of sigils which makes it easier to forget the intend behind each specific one.
Shoaling is what Gordon White called this method (book, the Chaos Protocols).
Robofish is another term he wrote about: To get the shoal moving, you can put in sigils with a highly probable or allready set outcome. Something simple like this week I'll eat pasta, if that's on your plate a couple times each week.

From personal experience:
Aesthetics: I draw sigils with a chisel point/ calligraphy marker. When the flowing lines of varying width are crossing over each other.. after staring at it for a while, this gives me a sense of depth and movement, which keeps it interesting to look at while getting into a trance state and charging it. Funny visual effects can happen, I've seen red and blue coming throught the black, the lines casting shadow lines on the paper etc.
Sympathetic magic:
Using a sigil/seal as a link to an object that was also marked with the same sigil by drawing, carving or visualising drawing the sigil energetically on it and then letting it get absorbed into it's surface.
These sigils where not single use, but I would keep them on my altar over a longer period and charge them daily during that period and burn a candles and a corresponding spice for it. This could be used for marking money for attracting more of it, Frater Xavier is where I got the basic idea from, but I added more to it and later also modified it to attract attention to a sculpture I made.
Correspondences: Candle, herbs, moon phase, the way the sigil is charged and disposed of color and type of paper and ink that match with the intend I found interesting to experiment with to add to the effect.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
The really tricky part is the forgetting phase after charging the sigil. In every other system of magic, it's ok to think about your desire (after all, that's why you performed that ritual in the first place) but not here. You cannot just ignore that stage, it's part of the recipe, so to speak. Various authors have tied themselves into knots trying to come up with ways to ensure forgetting (see Lars Helvete's book, for example). The solution I like best so far is that it's ok to think about your desire ("I want a new job!") as long as you don't mull over the sigil you charged in order to fulfill it ("Yesterday morning I charged a sigil to get a new job, wonder if it will work…").

I used to be so paranoid about forgetting that I never recorded sigil operations in my magical diary, with the result that today I don't have any idea as to my success rate all these years ago. At a guess, I would say 50:50 but many of the successful ones came with bizarre side effects, perhaps due to insufficient planning or poor concentration. Chaos sigils can be great if you want to trigger a specific chain of events but unsuitable for maintaining their momentum, IMHO. Sigils are quick'n'dirty, easy to do and can be very effective once you have some experience under your belt and found your own personal style.

Bicpen

Visitor
Reaction score
I didn't get that far into Modern Magick, must have a pdf somewhere I' ll check it out.
I've never worked with existing sigils or seals from books.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I didn't get that far into Modern Magick, must have a pdf somewhere I' ll check it out.
Just uploaded "The 72 Sigils of Power" by Zanna Blaise which has three Hebrew letters in a simple circle for each Shem angel, the most basic sigils I've come across so far. Some authors use more elaborate or even excessively ornate ones ("Angelic Sigils, Keys and Calls" by Ben Woodcroft would be an example, his sigils are exceptionally overcrowded and ugly). I quite like the Goetia sigils although I don't want any truck with demons, they're simple, yet elegant. There are even chaos sigil generators online where you just have to type your sentence of desire but I feel that this would miss the point entirely, after all, something of you, your personality and your dreams should go into your chaos sigil, and you can best achieve this by putting pen to paper yourself, I'd say.

Reaction score
Awards
Pretty sure we have a pdf copy somewhere in our book shares section.

Bicpen

Visitor
Reaction score
The really tricky part is the forgetting phase after charging the sigil. In every other system of magic, it's ok to think about your desire (after all, that's why you performed that ritual in the first place) but not here. You cannot just ignore that stage, it's part of the recipe, so to speak. Various authors have tied themselves into knots trying to come up with ways to ensure forgetting (see Lars Helvete's book, for example). The solution I like best so far is that it's ok to think about your desire ("I want a new job!") as long as you don't mull over the sigil you charged in order to fulfill it ("Yesterday morning I charged a sigil to get a new job, wonder if it will work…").

I used to be so paranoid about forgetting that I never recorded sigil operations in my magical diary, with the result that today I don't have any idea as to my success rate all these years ago. At a guess, I would say 50:50 but many of the successful ones came with bizarre side effects, perhaps due to insufficient planning or poor concentration. Chaos sigils can be great if you want to trigger a specific chain of events but unsuitable for maintaining their momentum, IMHO. Sigils are quick'n'dirty, easy to do and can be very effective once you have some experience under your belt and found your own personal style.
I agree if you do one it's hard to forget about it, that's what the shoaling could help with. Another project I tried was just make, charge and burn one everyday for a month (iirc Andrieh Vitimus suggested doing that on his podcast). That helped me to forget most of them pretty soon.
Or making a bunch putting them in a drawer for some weeks and then randomly take out one and charge it not even knowing what it's supposed to do. The sigil allready holds the intent just putting an energy charge in it should be enough. I've put notes in sealed envelopes to avoid looking at them.

But do I understand correctly my projects I mentioned combining "sigil"-sympathetic magick.. That method is actually closer to creating a seal as a talisman than sigil magick ? Because it was not charge and let go but I kept re charging it ?
This also had some weird results, doing money magic and instead finding weight plates and bars (which I wanted to buy) in the trash and getting books and other stuff for free.

Just uploaded "The 72 Sigils of Power" by Zanna Blaise which has three Hebrew letters in a simple circle for each Shem angel, the most basic sigils I've come across so far. Some authors use more elaborate or even excessively ornate ones ("Angelic Sigils, Keys and Calls" by Ben Woodcroft would be an example, his sigils are exceptionally overcrowded and ugly). I quite like the Goetia sigils although I don't want any truck with demons, they're simple, yet elegant. There are even chaos sigil generators online where you just have to type your sentence of desire but I feel that this would miss the point entirely, after all, something of you, your personality and your dreams should go into your chaos sigil, and you can best achieve this by putting pen to paper yourself, I'd say.
Yes I like the style of those too, the Goethic's are elegant indeed. I haven't worked with them either, too advanced for me. I don't really care for sigil generators, unless I break my fingers and can't draw for a while maybe, but yeah letting the app do the design/ fun part is not appealing to me.

Last edited:

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Incidentally, why did you the heading of your thread all caps? It's not about something urgent or some revolutionary insight (that is usually crap in most cases anyway), so the all caps is just an attempt at attention-hogging. Please don't use all caps for headings of your threads in the future.