• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Getting started with Nature Spirits

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Hello all, I have felt very drawn recently to work with Nature. I love nature and all of the creatures and spirits associated with it. I have no experience with it directly but am open to book suggestions or advice in general.

thank you all!

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Sit quietly in some natural area and notice to which trees/plants/rocks your attention is drawn. Sometimes your attention will be drawn to the space between some trees/bushes.

If it feels like that space is watching you then it is likely a nature spirit. So send some light from your heart to that space.

Notice if the space that is watching moves closer or further.

Sometimes, with a natural pool/stream of water, there will be an elemental or nature spirit just above the water.

Once I was looking very carefully for elementals in the flow of a small waterfall. After about a minute, a small cloud of vapor detached from the waterfall and came about 10 yards to me, and touched me very gently on the cheek

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Sit quietly in some natural area and notice to which trees/plants/rocks your attention is drawn. Sometimes your attention will be drawn to the space between some trees/bushes.

If it feels like that space is watching you then it is likely a nature spirit. So send some light from your heart to that space.

Notice if the space that is watching moves closer or further.

Sometimes, with a natural pool/stream of water, there will be an elemental or nature spirit just above the water.

Once I was looking very carefully for elementals in the flow of a small waterfall. After about a minute, a small cloud of vapor detached from the waterfall and came about 10 yards to me, and touched me very gently on the cheek
I will attempt this next time I have the opportunity. Any book recommendations?

Malvo

Neophyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
I will attempt this next time I have the opportunity. Any book recommendations?
I will share with you what I am planning to do, as I wish to connect with nature spirits as well.

I used to visit a place near in my area, it is protected and it is a very old mountain area where a river crosses in the middle, and still filled with remnants of old Roman gold mines.

In the past, I was able to scout and find areas where I felt particularly well, as well as other areas where I felt a "buzz" wen I crossed them, normally paths with two very old trees side by side (portals, gates?).

I am planning to vocally transmit my intent on one of those areas, and simply sit and observe...perhaps meditate.

Regardless of the outcome, I will thank them, leave gifts, and return a few days later.

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I’ve been trying to talk to a tree in my backyard for the last several weeks. I’ll just lean up against it, maybe make direct contact with a palm against the trunk and send some thoughts towards it. I haven’t heard anything back, but it has become my favorite place to hang out lately. The vibe is now very relaxed and protective. The birds seem to be more comfortable getting close to me as well.

I’ve also been making simple offerings of energy to any spirits in my backyard and an employee garden at work. Once again, no direct results but I’m going to keep them both up, and just assume that I’m getting the ball rolling with something.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
I am reminded of something Josephine McCarthy said in her book, The Magical Knowledge Trilogy on page 255 (pdf):

They [the faeries] began to talk to me, to tell me about the trees and the wind
and the horses. None of it was like conversation talk, it was not like
talking at all. It was something else. At the time I wrote a poem about
them which didn’t survive the ravages of time, but one line I can
remember from it is “hear the whispers, mumbles and cautions,
silent eyes that watch and wait.” That was probably the best
description that I could give. Wherever I went I could hear them and
feel them, and they gave me a knowing.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
paths with two very old trees side by side (portals, gates?)
I used to live behind Forres Scotland (witches in Macbeth) and one forest path was used quite a lot by members of our community. There was a pair of trees either side of the path that were called "the scrubbers" because they used to scrub the auras of passing community members.

One of those trees would talk to me mentally - said its name was Irwin. I recall one midnight on New Years Eve, I was out on the hill and stopped at Irwin and it said that it had been fed twice that night. First was the rain, then the sky cleared and it was fed with starlight - containing the patterns for its unfoldment

When I "look" at Irwin now, he waves his branches at me

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I used to live behind Forres Scotland (witches in Macbeth) and one forest path was used quite a lot by members of our community. There was a pair of trees either side of the path that were called "the scrubbers" because they used to scrub the auras of passing community members.

One of those trees would talk to me mentally - said its name was Irwin. I recall one midnight on New Years Eve, I was out on the hill and stopped at Irwin and it said that it had been fed twice that night. First was the rain, then the sky cleared and it was fed with starlight - containing the patterns for its unfoldment

When I "look" at Irwin now, he waves his branches at me
Wow!! Roma! The fact that the Tree moved its branches at you was amazing!

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
And you know what Roma, if The Universe wants to, The Universe can make the Trees move in physical Reality. I had that happened to me once. And, it was crazy, but I Loved that.

The Golden Jackal

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I am in nature often, I don’t really feel a sense of being looked at. I want to broaden my horizons and not be trapped by my mindset. Any tips?
learn shadow magic this training gives you power to unlock portals to the spirit worlds arounds us were fairies etc are. Shadows are very useful for gaining magical ablities of this nature, Also practice drawing into your own internal meridians the energy of the earth, this gives you roots and connection.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
learn shadow magic this training gives you power to unlock portals to the spirit worlds arounds us were fairies etc are. Shadows are very useful for gaining magical ablities of this nature, Also practice drawing into your own internal meridians the energy of the earth, this gives you roots and connection.
I know nothing about Shadow magic, how do I get started

BachausMaximus

Neophyte
Reaction score
Hi Lemongrass00, In my experience, spending time in nature without distraction (no phone) will open you up to the spirits communication. Depending on the environment you live in it would be good to find the most natural, wildest and least managed area you can find. I live close to the ocean, mountains, hills and desert. For me the mountain forests near running water and the desert wastelands are the most productive areas to open myself. I never feel closer to the gods than in the vast desolation of the desert and my children feel it too. We often hike and find a comfortable place and just sit in the stillness. This quiet, calm still time heals our minds and opens us to the local spirits.

Most traditional folkloric and local traditions have an understanding of who these spirits are and how to interact with them.

That said, one of my most impactful experiences with nature spirits was during a silent retreat at a monastery that backed right up to the San Gabriel mountains. This is a Catholic monastery and since I am not Catholic I had a lot of extra time on my hands because I skipped many of the group activities and cannot attend confession. There are some very wild areas on the property and I was reading Wisht Waters by Gemma Grey and Three hands Press which I viewed as dealing with local nature spirits. While walking in a small oak grove at the mountain's foot I decided to stand as still and quiet as I could to tune myself to the environment there. After around five minutes I heard a rustling in the bushes and three deer came out of the bushes in front of me. They paused as soon as they saw me and waited for what seemed like an hour staring right at me. Two of them walked right past me within a foot on either side. One went back into the bushes and passed me out of sight but came up about ten feet behind me. I had a lot of time to just be present while I stayed still longer than I ever have before. While standing there I thought about how I had always wanted a set of deer antlers but didn't want to buy any. I don't hunt and ended up resigned to the fact that I would just have to find a pair.

After the deer left I continued walking on the hillside and paused by a small brook and pond. I remembered the tradition of offering small round white pebbles as an offering to water spirits. As I continued on I came to a fenced in water retention basin and followed the fence as far as I could and picked up several small stones for offerings. When I got back to the pond I made my offering to the resident water spirit. After the offering I felt compelled to head back to the retention basin fence again. As soon as I got to the place I had passed twice already I saw a deer skull with antlers approximately two feet across. There was no way I would have missed them previously as they were blocking the small path next to the fence. My understanding was that the water spirits had found a way to respond to my faith in them and delivered something natural that I desired but had no realistic way of obtaining. This wasn't a materially valuable object or even something that I asked for but it did make a strong impact on my perception and faith in the "small" spirits. Their reality, presence and impact is easily overlooked but is real and can teach us if we are open to hearing their voices.

There are plenty of possible explanations about how my discovery of the antlers could have happened but the reality is that they were not there the first time I went that way.

Hopefully this small example helps you on our mutual path of communing with the nature spirits.