• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Harry Potter syndrome - Get rid of it

Everyone's got one.

Vandheer

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Damn man, you should have written the OP thread lol nice one.

This ought to set everyone at rest. If you feel triggered, perhaps we should ask ourselves why.
Shit happens, its not like we can read emotions through screens or something.

Yes, I agree. Gallery of Magic books, Words of Power have condensed a lot ... and promised a lot.
Perhaps a chronic example would be "The New Avatar Power". Some of the stories I have read in that book, makes one salivate.

Im talking about mass hysteria for lack of a better term, with a bunch of horny people seeing the show, doing a ritual and BAM in a relationship with him in all ways.
Which usually comes up with 'this is my Unverified Personal Gnosis so you cannot challenge it' attitude.

Still, my housing situation is a direct result of combine neurological, mental issues and laziness. Laziness being key. Being key I dont get to work on time every day, I dont get paid each week, and may be fired, end result no money for rent, no money for rent long enough and Im homeless, good reasons or not, without the laziness, sure Id have a solid case in my opinion as to why.
Now I can't speak about how you are when it comes to work but man when it comes to magick you work as hard as anybody I have seen, don't sell yourself short. Your journal is I am sure a thousand entries or even two.

Tiana kind of explained what I meant overall better than how I did. I remember a short story:

So the prophet Muhammad goes to the bazaar or whatever it is called back then. There, he sees a donkey that isn't tied to anywhere. He asks the owner why. Owners says that he trusts in Allah it won't go anywhere. Muhammad tells him to tie the animal to somewhere first and then trust Allah.

Ziran

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Okay then, sorry if I misunderstood and got defensive for the wrong cause.

I read it that way too, for what it's worth.
Post automatically merged:

@Vandheer ,

Lol. Well. At least I know what that reaction means. I thought it was a Yoda.

Look, I'm not trolling. I was being honest, and I think it's a natural reaction based on the sequence of the threads. I see that you didn't intend it to be directed towards our newest member, but, right or wrong, I genuinely had the same impression that they did.

Last edited:

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
maybe you secretly like it.
I know I do.

I thank God I grew up on thrash metal and horror films. Hail Satan! Thanks to SRA I could get arrested, but posers got jumped.
I still remember listening to Anne Rice goth-vamp chicks talking about swapping blood and gaining super powers in high school, but they still screamed if you showed them a live spider. They had ditched Madonna for The Cure after 9th grade. I got used to it, then it all changed again. If you ask me everything really went downhill with Pokemon.
When I saw the first Harry Potter film I thought, okay, here is marketing.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
there are so many 'normal' writers and cartoon artists who have similar things like that. old school imagery and symbolism in a new coat. i recall spike and suzy the sinister site. its a dutch only book spread amongst bilingual schools with expats etc.
its about websites controlled by evil wizzards who war against each other and about evil beasts like pythons and trojan horses..
suske-en-wiske-de-sinistere-site-luxe.jpg

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I think it's funny that J.K. Rowling did loads of research on alchemy, and then pulled her magic system completely out of her arse.
"Milk for babes", so the saying goes.
I didn't know she knew anything except how to name drop. My understanding is that title term "Philosopher" was replaced by "Sorcerer" because the latter term is confusing to us Yanks. The Black Brothers up on the 56th floor know where the money is, and that's where they go. For the rest of us, they shrug, "Do what thou wilt".

pythons and trojan horses..
Can't talk about those these days, because nobody wants to hear "They will get you in the end".

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I think it's funny that J.K. Rowling did loads of research on alchemy, and then pulled her magic system completely out of her arse.
I recall reading that Rowling, while on a train to Edinburgh, in the space of 90 minutes received all of the plot material for Harry Potter.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Okay then, sorry if I misunderstood and got defensive for the wrong cause.
You gotta understand, @Vandheer has been here for a long time, and we get almost monthly threads where people post about all manner of ailments, misfortunes, hinderances and obstacles that conveniently are impossible to ever address by mundane/real-world actions.

See: Livin in a bizarre situation

@Vandheer honestly I think I would sticky a thread of "have you tried these first" kinda suggestions for people. But you know what, they're probably all too convinced by their own ego that none of those could possibly ever apply to them and wouldn't bother reading it anyway.

Sadly (and I do mean literally sadly) the occult space is an attractor for mental illness of all kinds. It's obvious why - and while it is obnoxious at times - when you get to know some of these people and interact with them on a personal level and see how they struggle... it does sometimes tug at the old heartstrings. All that to say, we can shoot down and shoo out the egoists, self-important, LARPer crowd without mercy. But those suffering from actual mental illness I do have sympathy for. If they are not actively disrupting the order, I'd like to help them somehow.

Vandheer

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
First of all @SkullTraill I appreciate that first paragraph. If my words aren't convincing enough to people, hopefully yours will be.

@Vandheer honestly I think I would sticky a thread of "have you tried these first" kinda suggestions for people. But you know what, they're probably all too convinced by their own ego that none of those could possibly ever apply to them and wouldn't bother reading it anyway.
That being said it wouldn't hurt to try. There could always be people who didn't fall down to rabbit hole first. We don't know.

Reaction score
Awards
I'd say go for it. If people still ask inane questions, we can either refer them to a LARP or D&D forum or point back to the have you tried this first thread. ... Don't get me wrong, I love me some D&D tbh.

Tiana Silvermoon

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
You gotta understand, @Vandheer has been here for a long time, and we get almost monthly threads where people post about all manner of ailments, misfortunes, hinderances and obstacles that conveniently are impossible to ever address by mundane/real-world actions.

See: Livin in a bizarre situation
Yeah, I already got that ^^'
You're referring to a surprisingly useful topic though, so many interesting links. But I see what you're trying to say with it (:

Reaction score
Awards
Meditation. Something I need to do more of.
Post automatically merged:

Watching Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the Ring .. lol. Caught myself wondering about the Voice of Thunder battle between Gandalf and Sauromon. Back to my work.

Last edited: