• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

How much power do names hold

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
It becomes insufferable when the numerologist starts "correcting" the name or term being numerized. That is, a name almost fits a hoped-for correspondence, so the numerologist hammers the almost round peg into the slightly off-square hole. Kenneth Grant does this a few times. Dr. Rashad Khalifa "found" so many instances of the Quran being "based on" multiples of the number 19 that he "corrected" the textus receptus and threw out two verses that "didn't fit." Which got him on any number of fundie s*** lists.
O I did this recently with almost every single Name in the pentacles of the Greater Key. A whole lot of these are garbled and appear to be retranscribed from English into Hebrew and thereby the meaning (and numerology) was lost.
Can be a satisfying exercise.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
It becomes insufferable when the numerologist starts "correcting" the name or term being numerized. That is, a name almost fits a hoped-for correspondence, so the numerologist hammers the almost round peg into the slightly off-square hole.
It can also be entertaining if one takes the view that this is a formula or equation of the "non-rational", a term I have heard being used in the academic sphere, and which I like. I translate this more in to the "mythic", but really when it is pitted against rational logic it's a matter of "take it or leave it". Annoying or batshit crazy or not, it's a formula on a chalkboard which can have real world consequences as the message delineates its influence.

Kenneth Grant does this a few times.
Lol, I would say more than a few, but his writings were a deliberate magical operation. I would even share the term "insufferable", especially as he starts to integrate UFO's (as in the shape of the Graal indicates that the original Typhonians were from Ursa Major, or whatever). But he even steps aside from his rambles from time to time and reminds the reader these are formulae, that you do with it whatever your insight can develop from it - obviously at your own risk.

Dr. Rashad Khalifa "found" so many instances of the Quran being "based on" multiples of the number 19 that he "corrected" the textus receptus and threw out two verses that "didn't fit." Which got him on any number of fundie s*** lists.
Not on my radar until now, but this is nothing new in the history of the occult. I had briefly studied some medieval Muslim innovators who played in that sandbox, but my knowledge there is a bit vague, hope to get back there in my ROTA.

I think the real "risk" is that names and numbers, whether alone or combination = destiny. "It must be!"
How much history that we are responsible is shaped by that reasoning?
(a-hem MISS BLAVATSKY!!!!)

As to names having or creating power, think Pico della Mirandola going down a winding path of "theses" to finally present to his now bored and probably suspicious audience that the most powerful Name of all is to take YHVH and add the letter Shin, so you can get Jesus.
He didn't win any awards for that despite his "legacy", BTW, and I can only imagine the expression on his face as he watched his buddy Savonarola's bonfires. He was probably thinking, "Good. Fuck all y'all."

IMO it doesn't make the process or technique bullshit - it is what it is, and it can be very useful. Perhaps we should be concerned with "finding things that aren't there" - but this is... the occult, right?

Can be a satisfying exercise.
Claves(y)

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
It can also be entertaining if one takes the view that this is a formula or equation of the "non-rational", a term I have heard being used in the academic sphere, and which I like. I translate this more in to the "mythic", but really when it is pitted against rational logic it's a matter of "take it or leave it". Annoying or batshit crazy or not, it's a formula on a chalkboard which can have real world consequences as the message delineates its influence.

Lol, I would say more than a few, but his writings were a deliberate magical operation. I would even share the term "insufferable", especially as he starts to integrate UFO's (as in the shape of the Graal indicates that the original Typhonians were from Ursa Major, or whatever). But he even steps aside from his rambles from time to time and reminds the reader these are formulae, that you do with it whatever your insight can develop from it - obviously at your own risk.

Not on my radar until now, but this is nothing new in the history of the occult. I had briefly studied some medieval Muslim innovators who played in that sandbox, but my knowledge there is a bit vague, hope to get back there in my ROTA.

I think the real "risk" is that names and numbers, whether alone or combination = destiny. "It must be!"
How much history that we are responsible is shaped by that reasoning?
(a-hem MISS BLAVATSKY!!!!)

As to names having or creating power, think Pico della Mirandola going down a winding path of "theses" to finally present to his now bored and probably suspicious audience that the most powerful Name of all is to take YHVH and add the letter Shin, so you can get Jesus.
He didn't win any awards for that despite his "legacy", BTW, and I can only imagine the expression on his face as he watched his buddy Savonarola's bonfires. He was probably thinking, "Good. Fuck all y'all."

IMO it doesn't make the process or technique bullshit - it is what it is, and it can be very useful. Perhaps we should be concerned with "finding things that aren't there" - but this is... the occult, right?

Claves(y)
A good reminder there at the end: blame the abuser, not the technique. I freely allow I am at times struck by suggestive numbers that crop up unlooked for or after a little analysis. If the correspondences' calculations take me half a sheet of paper and three tries, I tend to be a little chary. And if I have to make things work by "add one for the One God," or "add 11 for Joseph's brothers, minus Joseph himself," I decide it's time to take a break.

Gregorius

Neophyte
Reaction score
oh a friend justy reminded me of the myth that some fae can syteal your name i dont know tho if that is just some pop culture myth or actually real

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
oh a friend justy reminded me of the myth that some fae can syteal your name i dont know tho if that is just some pop culture myth or actually real
In magick, at least some folks have a moniker they don't give up lightly. There's birth certificate name, magick name for one's group, and one that's used in private workings with protections in place.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
1598272836_untitled-design-19.png