• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

I Ching (Book of Changes) - Do you use it for meditation, divination, or magic?

tiger's eye

Visitor
Reaction score
I'm chinese,I often use a divination way called MeiHuaYiShu.it very close to iching,but different.They all use the elements called BaGua.it simple and useful,you can use this divination even without any tools,just look something that around you,like colors,numbers and else.There have a classic book just called MEIHUAYISHU by ShaoYong.I don't know if this book has been translated,if you interest in it you can try to read it,or look for some English book about this.my English it not well guys,sorry about that.
Post automatically merged:

我过去只是挥霍买了一包牙签。生活在中国,我可以去采摘指定的西洋蓍草茎,但我认为在人口过于稠密的土地上拔除野生植物在生态上是不礼貌的。
you can use any tools that symbolize numbers,that is ok.in china we almost use morden ways to use it,like the mobile phone apps.I think using yarrow just people have no other tools in that time,but yarrow was common.

Last edited:

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I'm chinese,I often use a divination way called MeiHuaYiShu.it very close to iching,but different.They all use the elements called BaGua.it simple and useful,you can use this divination even without any tools,just look something that around you,like colors,numbers and else.There have a classic book just called MEIHUAYISHU by ShaoYong.I don't know if this book has been translated,if you interest in it you can try to read it,or look for some English book about this.my English it not well guys,sorry about that.

you can use any tools that symbolize numbers,that is ok.in china we almost use morden ways to use it,like the mobile phone apps.I think using yarrow just people have no other tools in that time,but yarrow was common.

Yeah, Meihua (plum blossom) divination is well known in China but almost unknown in the west. The only reliable presentation of this method in English is Da Liu’s book I Ching Numerology. It’s an interpretation rather than translation of Shao Yong’s book. It’s out of print but I have a pdf, I’ll try and share it later.

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, Meihua (plum blossom) divination is well known in China but almost unknown in the west. The only reliable presentation of this method in English is Da Liu’s book I Ching Numerology. It’s an interpretation rather than translation of Shao Yong’s book. It’s out of print but I have a pdf, I’ll try and share it later.
I live about an hour from the biggest bookstore in Beijing. I should see if they have aught there in Chinese. Or, better yet, Tao Bao, the Chinese Amazon.

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards

The 梅花 I can get, but how are you writing "yi shu?" The only word I know for divination is 占卜。"Zhan bu." Is the shu 书?

On occasion in the street, I have used random number generators 1-64 for the hexagram and 1-6 for the line. (Doing the Yi Jing/ I Ching)

tiger's eye

Visitor
Reaction score
I live about an hour from the biggest bookstore in Beijing. I should see if they have aught there in Chinese. Or, better yet, Tao Bao, the Chinese Amazon.
yeah,you can get it in Tao Bao.

The 梅花 I can get, but how are you writing "yi shu?" The only word I know for divination is 占卜。"Zhan bu." Is the shu 书?

On occasion in the street, I have used random number generators 1-64 for the hexagram and 1-6 for the line. (Doing the Yi Jing/ I Ching)
"yishu"in chinese should be 易数.
at the beginning 易 just means iching,because iching is a divination book,it not just talk about divination,we thing there have many wisdoms in it,like how to live with nature,how to make a thing successful,how to make yourself away from some dangerous,etc.some people try to explain ichang afterwards,they discussed a lot and write many book to record their ideas(include the book to record them what say,but the writers are other people),so we use 易 to mean that thoughts like iching and its ideas or any divination way that use this elements and ideas.
数 means this divination use the number a lot and be famous for "namber".there have a story about that.one day Shao Yong and his friend go out.his friend know he is a divination master,and there is no tools can divination(like yarrow).so the friend let Shao Yong to divide with no tools.Shao Yong look around,he found a plum blossom,the plum blossom has many petals,he decided to use it to divination.
the legend story is the reason that why this divination called MeiHuaYiShu.

at the beginning 易 just means iching,because iching is a divination book,it not just talk about divination,we thing there have many wisdoms in it,like how to live with nature,how to make a thing successful,how to make yourself away from some dangerous,etc.some people try to explain ichang afterwards,they discussed a lot and write many book to record their ideas(include the book to record them what say,but the writers are other people),so we use 易 to mean that thoughts like iching and its ideas or any divination way that use this elements and ideas.
数 means this divination use the number a lot and be famous for "namber".there have a story about that.one day Shao Yong and his friend go out.his friend know he is a divination master,and there is no tools can divination(like yarrow).the friend doesn't believe that Shao Yong can divate with no tools,so he let Shao Yong to divide now with no tools.Shao Yong look around,he found a plum blossom,the plum blossom has many petals,he decided to use it to divination.

数 means this divination use the number a lot and be famous for "namber".there have a story about that.one day Shao Yong and his friend go out.his friend know he is a divination master,and there is no tools can divination(like yarrow).so the friend let Shao Yong to divide with no tools.Shao Yong look around,he found a plum blossom,the plum blossom has many petals,he decided to use it to divination.
sorry guys,I posted a same reply but I don't know delete it,for this question you can check later one that I have been reviced

Last edited:

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards

If you do a web search for 梅花易数 you’ll find it online. Taobao will definitely have it- I was surprised how much stuff was available there, including all kinds of occult Daoist trinkets labeled 开光 (no way to verify that though). If someone wanted to convince westerners he was a Daoist wizard and start some kind of fake lineage he could easily order enough robes and paraphernalia to make a good impression.

tiger's eye

Visitor
Reaction score
If you do a web search for 梅花易数 you’ll find it online. Taobao will definitely have it- I was surprised how much stuff was available there, including all kinds of occult Daoist trinkets labeled 开光 (no way to verify that though). If someone wanted to convince westerners he was a Daoist wizard and start some kind of fake lineage he could easily order enough robes and paraphernalia to make a good impression.
yes,there have a lot like these online,don't believe that.these things prepare for people who believe this,or just like "blessing words" that make people feel good.Robes and some else maybe for cosplay or performance and show.开光 it likes folk customs,but most of them just want to take your money through this word.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Let's keep to the topic: I Ching (Book of Changes). You may open another thread to discuss other aspects of Chinese beliefs and magic in a suitable sub-forum. In this way people who are interested in a specific topic will find the thread discussing it more easily. Thank you.

fraterpa

Neophyte
Reaction score
Hi, I use I-Ching on a regular basis for personal consulting, just like Tarot divination and usually it provides me with a very broad perspective on the subject being consulted.

I adore using James de Korne's "The Gnostic Book of Changes", which not only gathers translations by various authors, like Legge, Wilhelm, Liu, Karcher, etc. but also spices it up with a psychological, or psychoanalytical (Jung school) and Western Esoteric interpretation. His whole book is available online and I advise you to have a look at it:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

When it comes to tools, I use this neat set of yarrows, or rather wood blocks :) produced by my friend (photo attached).

I-Ching is a wonderful system and one can spend all his_her life on mastering it. Also it overlaps with some notions from the Western Esoteric Tradition and such persons as Aleister Crowley spend quite a lot of time on decoding this and working on a system of assignments.

ChomikImage.aspx

I try to link the image of the I-Ching set I use, once again. The previous one disappeared.

411485304_928253631990955_3917147205120294433_n.jpg

Last edited: