• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

If you could date someone from history...

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Who would it be? Using Max Heindel's "magic carpet of the imagination", I conceive of Time Travel Match.com - no self survey needed, just pick one and spin the dial.

My pick?

"La Tigre"
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Caterina Sforza (1462-1509), Countess of Forli and Lady of Imola, came to my attention when I finally got a chance to watch The Borgias some years back. I later lost track of her until I had a chance to review the Italian Wars, where she received a brief mention as being the "cruel Lady of Imola, captured by Cesare Borgia but treated fairly". Anyways, I took a deeper look again, and thought, what would a first date with her look like?

GREEN LIGHT
1. Described as beautiful, complex, fashionable, graceful and diplomatic.
2. A strategist and warrior woman who could take chart of a desperate situation. She trained her own soldiers and fought beside them. Known for competent and conservative management of her fiefs for at least the first half of her career.
3. Practiced alchemy and may have introduced it into the Medici sphere during her exile in Florence before she died. Claimed to have made an "elixir vitae". I wonder what she thought of necromancy?

YELLOW LIGHT
1. A bit loose in her morals - but hey, it's the Rennaissance. Wear a love glove.
2. Seems clingy - apparently she could fall in love with a man and neglect all her affairs (including family), opening the way to plots and conspiracies behind her back.
3. Described as "cunning" and known for "vulgar insults" - not a deal breaker as she came from a long militant tradition and had to hold her own in a man's world during a time and place where backstabbing was an artform as elegant as the work of any painter or sculptor of the day.

RED LIGHT
1. Vengeful - yeah, don't get on her bad side. After the assassination of her second husband, she didn't stop at the execution of the conspirators. She rounded up their wives and children and had them butchered. I can't help but think she participated, and she reportedly lost the respect of her own subjects, but "Hell hath no fury", as they say.
2. Cold blooded - according to legend (or defamation), when she was captured one time and threatened with being made to watch the murder of her own children, she lifted up her skirt, showed her genitals and said, "Go ahead. I can make more."
3. Machiavelli supposedly made up the above story - but if he didn't like her, I would be wary. Very wary.

My impression - a memorable tryst but I doubt I would engage in a sequel. The last thing I want is a relationship that ends up with me in a gibbet or "drawn and quarted". Still, I have admire the Lady, hers is quite the story.

So who would you date from any time and place in the past?

Last edited:

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Queen Tomyris of the Massagetae, her what killed Cyrus the Great. A secular figure, but one with plenty of gumption.

Reaction score
Awards
Ew. I wouldnt date anyone over the age of sixty as of now, why would I date someone older than that?

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Ew. I wouldnt date anyone over the age of sixty as of now, why would I date someone older than that?
You adjust for age as you go back in time...right OP? Or am I now an inadvertent necrophile?

Age is a ticklish thing. My sister insists Julius Caesar was a "pedophile" because of the age difference with Cleopatra, aged 22 when they met. That's Caesar and Cleo, not Cleo and my sister. Or my sister and Caesar. If I ain't careful we're gonna have a whole menagerie of trois here.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
That's not very sporting of you - it's all about character, who she is as a person, not mummy love.
Tell you what, I'll draw one from the hat for you. Here it is - lucky you, a Celt: Boudica of the Iceni, your blind date. So get your face paint on and jump in her chariot to take on some oily garlic smelling Romans!

Julius Caesar was a "pedophile" because of the age difference
Young Octavian too, so I've heard.

You adjust for age as you go back in time...right OP? Or am I now an inadvertent necrophile?
Since this appears to be evolving into a necromancy thread, then I would say astral corpses in a lucid dream.
But on the "magic carpet of the imagination," then I guess it's whatever floats your boat...

I'm toying now with hooking up with Isabella, She-Wolf of France. I imagine she's pretty ripe.

Isabela_spol.jpg

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
That's not very sporting of you - it's all about character, who she is as a person, not mummy love.
Tell you what, I'll draw one from the hat for you. Here it is - lucky you, a Celt: Boudica of the Iceni, your blind date. So get your face paint on and jump in her chariot to take on some oily garlic smelling Romans!

Since this appears to be evolving into a necromancy thread, then I would say astral corpses in a lucid dream.
But on the "magic carpet of the imagination," then I guess it's whatever floats your boat...

I'm toying now with hooking up with Isabella, She-Wolf of France. I imagine she's pretty ripe.

Isabela_spol.jpg
Tiberius was the creepy kiddy-diddler. My point was that my kin was being unfair to Caesar. Cleo was 22 which is about as adult as one needs to get. (Though I DO recall Liz Dole's abortive flirtation with running for President. She at one point opined the drinking age should be raised to 25, which is taking "protect the children" just a bit too far in the direction of SSI)
Post automatically merged:

Isabela_spol.jpg
I'm guessing no one wants to hook up with Liz Bathory?

Last edited:

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I have family members from long ago that are now reincarnated nearby
How Roma-ntic of you. But not very necromantic.
Or is it?

I'm guessing no one wants to hook up with Liz Bathory?
I stood her up. Left her hanging. Kind of feel bad about that - maybe things could have been different.
But then we would be missing out on a salacious legend...

Ooh, but this all too evil. What about Dolly Madison? Should I blame her for my triglycerides?

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Evelyn Nesbit, Anna Komnene, Joan of Arc, Hypatia.
All they needed was someone to genuinely watch their backs
and they all got scammed of their potential.

Probably Joan of Arc if i had to go for one, i admire the hype.
girl had bars.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
As a straight woman... woof. It's hard to find men NOW who don't still, a tiny bit, a little bit secretly in their heart, believe men's ideas and journeys are more important than women's, who don't instinctively pay a little more attention to men's words than women's.

I have no problem reading books by historical men, and reading through/past their sexism. You apply stuff intended for men to yourself, on the basis that they weren't excluding women for any particularly sound magical reason, but just because of general cultural bias and/or forgetting women exist. It's not an issue.

but DATING someone who forgets women exist?

so yeah, I'm trying to rack my brains, but I can't think of anyone, let alone anyone who also passes the usual "attractive and interesting" filter. There's a few "oh he wasn't so bad!" but my dating standards are higher than that.

(analogy: the Corpus Hermeticum has a bit about how men who don't have kids are monsters. I reckon most childless men have no problem adapting that and saying "well, I will treat is as saying men must have some creative output, they must contribute something to the world and leave a legacy". But modern childless men probably wouldn't date someone who thought they were a monster for not having kids.)

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
As a straight woman... woof. It's hard to find men NOW who don't still, a tiny bit, a little bit secretly in their heart, believe men's ideas and journeys are more important than women's, who don't instinctively pay a little more attention to men's words than women's.

I have no problem reading books by historical men, and reading through/past their sexism. You apply stuff intended for men to yourself, on the basis that they weren't excluding women for any particularly sound magical reason, but just because of general cultural bias and/or forgetting women exist. It's not an issue.

so yeah, I'm trying to rack my brains, but I can't think of anyone, let alone anyone who also passes the usual "attractive and interesting" filter. There's a few "oh he wasn't so bad!" but my dating standards are higher than that.

(analogy: the Corpus Hermeticum has a bit about how men who don't have kids are monsters. I reckon most childless men have no problem adapting that and saying "well, I will treat is as saying men must have some creative output, they must contribute something to the world and leave a legacy". But modern childless men probably wouldn't date someone who thought they were a monster for not having kids.)
If I forgot a woman existed, I wouldn't be dating her now, would I? Simple matter of logic. Xeno's Axiom: "A variable cannot have a value whose existence has been forgotten." Come to think on it, it's also a matter of etiquette to remember one's date's existence at least until one settles the bill at the restaurant. Indeed, most gentlemen---of which number I am one--- go so far as to opine that one should also remember her name.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Probably that woman nude, standing on the clamshell.
Botecelli's Venus? I was gonna post the photo, but the censors in this fair (to middling) kingdom crop the image now to a face shot.

That's going too far? Hey, the other day I downloaded Marty Robbin's "El Paso" and all references to shooting were deleted on the local internet. Which makes utter nonsense of the song: a jealous cowboy runs out the back door of a saloon and steals a horse to escape...escape what?! He didn't do anhything! A few days later he returns to El Paso, for no reason given he winds up on his back in the dusty street, and his lady love gives his inexplicably dying self a farewell kiss.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
the other day I downloaded Marty Robbin's "El Paso" and all references to shooting were deleted on the local internet.
Sacrilege!!

Speaking as a token member of the Woke Mind Virus Mafia, we ALSO hate this bullshit?

It's CYA corporate nonsense by people who don't understand or care about the actual real problems people face (and, probably not by coincidence, ALSO don't understand or care about what makes good art)

Australian TV/radio is almost never bleeped (and never for gun or drug references) so it's been really funny playing stuff on YouTube and hearing the US versions. I recently found out that in Electric Six's Gay Bar, they silence out the lyric "Start a [war]. Start a [nuclear war]."

Don't want kids getting ideas!!

I have family members from long ago that are now reincarnated nearby
Bit concerned that you posted this in response to "which historical person would you date?"

Last edited:

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Sacrilege!!

Speaking as a token member of the Woke Mind Virus Mafia, we ALSO hate this bullshit?

It's CYA corporate nonsense by people who don't understand or care about the actual real problems people face (and, probably not by coincidence, ALSO don't understand or care about what makes good art)

Australian TV/radio is almost never bleeped (and never for gun or drug references) so it's been really funny playing stuff on YouTube and hearing the US versions. I recently found out that in Electric Six's Gay Bar, they silence out the lyric "Start a [war]. Start a [nuclear war]."

Bit concerned that you posted this in response to "which historical person would you date?"
Sacrilege!!

Can I play Wilde to your Whistler? I wish I had said that "Bit concerned..." bon mot!

I'm still creeped out from an incident where my mum said my then-g.f. "Looks just like your Aunt Ann!" That's what drove me into this semi-cataonic fantasy life lusting after Queen Tomyris and the Countess Bathory.

Bromance with Leonardo Da Vinci. No sex, just spend time with him while he does his genius thing.
Eeeeew! Bald dude with a stringy beard! I bet his breath smelled like garlic, him being Italian and all. The mere thought of it makes me wanna hurl. Really hurl, like throw my soup at the Moaning Lisa.
If we gonna bromance artists, at least Duerer had a great beard and head of hair (a lot on his pate, as it were.)

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
If you ever decide to date Agrippa, by the best accounts a man of honor, perhaps you two can discuss this not so well known book of his:

He dedicated it to Margaret of Austria, a remarkable woman who is on my dating list.

Probably Joan of Arc
Don't cuss around her - she might slap you. Ask Gilles de Raise.

Bromance with Leonardo Da Vinci. No sex, just spend time with him while he does his genius thing.
I wouldn't get drunk around him or show him any of my firearms.

because of the age difference with Cleopatra, aged 22 when they met.
In my haste I forgot to note that once on a dating site I left the age range of interest set as "18 to 50". Big mistake.

belowkeys

Visitor
Reaction score
Who would it be? Using Max Heindel's "magic carpet of the imagination", I conceive of Time Travel Match.com - no self survey needed, just pick one and spin the dial.

My pick?

"La Tigre"

Caterina Sforza (1462-1509), Countess of Forli and Lady of Imola, came to my attention when I finally got a chance to watch The Borgias some years back. I later lost track of her until I had a chance to review the Italian Wars, where she received a brief mention as being the "cruel Lady of Imola, captured by Cesare Borgia but treated fairly". Anyways, I took a deeper look again, and thought, what would a first date with her look like?

GREEN LIGHT
1. Described as beautiful, complex, fashionable, graceful and diplomatic.
2. A strategist and warrior woman who could take chart of a desperate situation. She trained her own soldiers and fought beside them. Known for competent and conservative management of her fiefs for at least the first half of her career.
3. Practiced alchemy and may have introduced it into the Medici sphere during her exile in Florence before she died. Claimed to have made an "elixir vitae". I wonder what she thought of necromancy?

YELLOW LIGHT
1. A bit loose in her morals - but hey, it's the Rennaissance. Wear a love glove.
2. Seems clingy - apparently she could fall in love with a man and neglect all her affairs (including family), opening the way to plots and conspiracies behind her back.
3. Described as "cunning" and known for "vulgar insults" - not a deal breaker as she came from a long militant tradition and had to hold her own in a man's world during a time and place where backstabbing was an artform as elegant as the work of any painter or sculptor of the day.

RED LIGHT
1. Vengeful - yeah, don't get on her bad side. After the assassination of her second husband, she didn't stop at the execution of the conspirators. She rounded up their wives and children and had them butchered. I can't help but think she participated, and she reportedly lost the respect of her own subjects, but "Hell hath no fury", as they say.
2. Cold blooded - according to legend (or defamation), when she was captured one time and threatened with being made to watch the murder of her own children, she lifted up her skirt, showed her genitals and said, "Go ahead. I can make more."
3. Machiavelli supposedly made up the above story - but if he didn't like her, I would be wary. Very wary.

My impression - a memorable tryst but I doubt I would engage in a sequel. The last thing I want is a relationship that ends up with me in a gibbet or "drawn and quarted". Still, I have admire the Lady, hers is quite the story.

So who would you date from any time and place in the past?
me and Franz Kafka tbh

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
In my haste I forgot to note that once on a dating site I left the age range of interest set as "18 to 50". Big mistake.
You might be surprised.

A lot of women look at the age range of interest to judge what kind of guy you are (apologies if you're not a guy!) I almost hate to say this publicly, because the method will stop working if it gets out. But this is a small forum.

To explain: If you're 30, and you put "Interested in women age 18-30" then I, as a then-25-year-old, in your preferred age range, will not message you, because it's a huge fucken red flag. (It's not PROOF that you don't want to date an equal, but women get hundreds of messages so you can't give everyone a chance; you have to make choices based on clues in people's profiles.)

A young-shifted age range shows both sexism (only want to date someone younger than yourself) and very likely a lack of self-awareness (don't realise this makes you look terrible)

Someone looking for just 18-year-olds would be a worry (unless they were also 18), but "18-50" is fine, it just says "age difference is not one of my prime concerns / didn't really think about this section".

So you might have got messages from women older or younger than you were actually looking for. But you would also have got replies from women in your real preferred age range who wouldn't have replied if you'd put something different.

If you ever decide to date Agrippa, by the best accounts a man of honor, perhaps you two can discuss this not so well known book of his:

He dedicated it to Margaret of Austria, a remarkable woman who is on my dating list.
I'm aware there are plenty of men throughout history who tried really hard to take women seriously and promote their full participation in society.

But it is very very hard to undo 100% of your enculturation in one lifetime, so if the surrounding culture is highly sexist, I will generally be like "wow that is very impressive, you were way ahead of your time and doing your best and I admire you for that" but simultaneously "you still have a lottt of engrained beliefs that are not your fault but I just can't be dealing with, in someone I'm dating". If you have a culture that's only kind of sexist, then it's much more possible for an individual within that culture to undo the remnants in their psyche.

Sorry Agrippa! Keep up the good work though!

Heinrich_Cornelius_Agrippa_von_Nettesheim.png

Great moustache though, that's definitely a point in the "pro" column

Last edited:

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
You might be surprised.

A lot of women look at the age range of interest to judge what kind of guy you are (apologies if you're not a guy!) I almost hate to say this publicly, because the method will stop working if it gets out. But this is a small forum.

To explain: If you're 30, and you put "Interested in women age 18-30" then I, as a then-25-year-old, in your preferred age range, will not message you, because it's a huge fucken red flag. (It's not PROOF that you don't want to date an equal, but women get hundreds of messages so you can't give everyone a chance; you have to make choices based on clues in people's profiles.)

A young-shifted age range shows both sexism (only want to date someone younger than yourself) and very likely a lack of self-awareness (don't realise this makes you look terrible)

Someone looking for just 18-year-olds would be a worry (unless they were also 18), but "18-50" is fine, it just says "age difference is not one of my prime concerns / didn't really think about this section".

So you might have got messages from women older or younger than you were actually looking for. But you would also have got replies from women in your real preferred age range who wouldn't have replied if you'd put something different.

I'm aware there are plenty of men throughout history who tried really hard to take women seriously and promote their full participation in society.

But it is very very hard to undo 100% of your enculturation in one lifetime, so if the surrounding culture is highly sexist, I will generally be like "wow that is very impressive, you were way ahead of your time and doing your best and I admire you for that" but simultaneously "you still have a lottt of engrained beliefs that are not your fault but I just can't be dealing with, in someone I'm dating". If you have a culture that's only kind of sexist, then it's much more possible for an individual within that culture to undo the remnants in their psyche.

Sorry Agrippa! Keep up the good work though!

Heinrich_Cornelius_Agrippa_von_Nettesheim.png

Great moustache though, that's definitely a point in the "pro" column
Of course, if the next aeon I'm born into has hit "re-set" on the enculturation program, it could conceivably take forever to attain what this present aeon holds to be ideal. That's the trouble with Whig history (call it group-solipsism): events rarely cooperate for long. Anyone see the old Kurt Russell flick "Warriors?" That's not so wide of the mark in more and more urban centers. (A hospital in Oakland recently told employees to avoid local restaurants for lunch. Too much crime nearby.) One easily forsees how "Woke Willy" the Intersectionality Crossing Guard will fare reborn into such a milieu. It'll set his progress to the (presently) mandated goal back some several lifetimes, I'm guessing.

Don't cuss around her - she might slap you. Ask Gilles de Raise.

I wouldn't get drunk around him or show him any of my firearms.

18-50? Reminds me of Cassanova romancing (to speak euphemistically) the gramma, ma, and daughter. THAT must've led to some riotous family scenes and arguments in years to come.