• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Is the forum slow for anyone else?

Robert Ramsay

Apostle
Joined
Oct 1, 2023
Messages
1,847
Reaction score
4,363
Awards
13
I've noticed in the last few days that the forum intermittently slows to a crawl when I click on things. Just wanted to check whether anyone else was getting this, and whether @SkullTraill had noticed anything?
 

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Joined
Apr 12, 2021
Messages
4,146
Reaction score
48,729
Awards
21
@Robert Ramsay I'll leave it on for the next few days, please let me know if you experience any slowdowns during this time (to narrow down the cause) - I don't like keeping this setting on so if this fixes it I'll see about upgrading the cloudflare plan and implementing targeted rules.

Everyone else too.
 

Robert Ramsay

Apostle
Joined
Oct 1, 2023
Messages
1,847
Reaction score
4,363
Awards
13
@Robert Ramsay I'll leave it on for the next few days, please let me know if you experience any slowdowns during this time (to narrow down the cause) - I don't like keeping this setting on so if this fixes it I'll see about upgrading the cloudflare plan and implementing targeted rules.
Will do!

I got a brief screen of "checking you are a hooman" before taking me to the forum. Don't know what other people's experiences are, but I could certainly put up with that if it keeps the bugs away :)
 

Aeternus

Disciple
Joined
Mar 21, 2024
Messages
775
Reaction score
1,634
Awards
13
@Robert Ramsay I'll leave it on for the next few days, please let me know if you experience any slowdowns during this time (to narrow down the cause) - I don't like keeping this setting on so if this fixes it I'll see about upgrading the cloudflare plan and implementing targeted rules.

Everyone else too.

I got the Cloudflare check and it isn't problematic. Well, since it is now 3:08 P.M. in my country, the forum works fine. I will check back at 7:30 P.M. and see if it behaves way too slow like it used to do. If, and hopefully won't behave slow, it means that the bots / ai crawlers can go straight where they came from :LOL:
Post automatically merged:

@Robert Ramsay I'll leave it on for the next few days, please let me know if you experience any slowdowns during this time (to narrow down the cause) - I don't like keeping this setting on so if this fixes it I'll see about upgrading the cloudflare plan and implementing targeted rules.

Everyone else too.

Well, I checked at 7:30 P.M. (as per my country time) and it didn't slow down. Bravo @SkullTraill , now the AI crawlers will certainly know their place: the recycle bin 👏
Post automatically merged:

Now it is 10:23 P.M. and it is not slow :)
 
Last edited:

Morell

Apostle
Joined
Jul 5, 2024
Messages
2,270
Reaction score
5,049
Awards
21
If the bots are the problem, then some trap might help. Back in the day when I was having a blog, we had a lot of problems with bots spamming our comments. We all solved it by adding to our webs link to antispamer web, which was a trap where the bots got stuck. Doesn't probably work anymore, but it was damn effective. Surely there is some more modern alternative today.
 

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Joined
Apr 12, 2021
Messages
4,146
Reaction score
48,729
Awards
21
I've had to turn off the bot fight mode because it was blocking PayPal API notifications for new benefactor upgrades. However, since I know broadly speaking what works now, I'll work on a more targeted Cloudflare ruleset to curb the bots/scrapers. I'll also try and see if upgrading the server itself would be worth it.
 

ewiz

Zealot
Joined
Mar 3, 2024
Messages
145
Reaction score
232
Awards
2
I hadn't logged any times the slowdowns happened for me, but I did notice there were thousands of guests when it did happen (4000-5000+.) We had issues like this on the SA forum multiple times, especially before the end, and I thought they were caused by bots/crawlers as well, but didn't have admin access to look into doing something about it. I don't think the normal filters are reliable anymore with these AI bots, but don't know enough to help other than offer my opinion, I think you've found the cause.
Post automatically merged:

Slowdown starting 9am PST, Total: 5,777 (members: 26, guests: 5,751)
Continuing through 9:20am PST, Total: 6,074 (members: 19, guests: 6,055)
Still ongoing as I post this.
Post automatically merged:

Speed back to normal 9:34am PST, Total: 5,881 (members: 23, guests: 5,858)
Post automatically merged:

Return to notmal was brief, slowdown ongoing as of 9:58am PST, Total: 6,580 (members: 20, guests: 6,560)
Post automatically merged:

Now speed seems normal again, but not expecting it to stay that way. Total: 7,087 (members: 22, guests: 7,065)
Post automatically merged:

Speed seemed to remain normal whenever I came back since last post, and guest counts seemed to drop off pretty quickly down to around 3000-4000
 
Last edited:

Asteriskos

Disciple
Joined
Apr 16, 2024
Messages
826
Reaction score
1,323
Awards
12
Friday night and Saturday all day 10/9 - 10/10/26 Severe molasses effect! Some functions measured in good chunks of a minute. SLOW!
4K++ guests / 13 users logged in!
Post automatically merged:

Friday night and Saturday all day 10/9 - 10/10/26 Severe molasses effect! Some functions measured in good chunks of a minute. SLOW!
4K++ guests / 13 users logged in!
Bad enough t logout!
Post automatically merged:

@SkullTraill, Thanks for seeing this so fast! Dammed LLM bots are sucking some bandwidth today! :mad:
Post automatically merged:

@SkullTraill, Thanks for seeing this so fast! Dammed LLM bots are sucking some bandwidth today! :mad:
Post automatically merged:

Multiple post caused by button lag, sorry! :(
 
Last edited:

Tryp

Zealot
Joined
Jul 19, 2023
Messages
120
Reaction score
745
Awards
4
Not sure if this has been reported before, but last night I noticed something that I found puzzling. Relatively often (maybe one day out of four) the forum shows as unresponsive to me. Not a browser or network connection error; after a minute trying to connect, I will receive an error from the forum backend itself, the "resource cannot be reached" kind of error. This will keep happening for a while, sometimes a few hours, and then become perfectly responsive again. I usually shrugged and moved on.

Last night, however, I got this issue and I thought about trying a VPN. I fired up the client, connected through some other European country, and boom - forum was immediately accessible again. It's funny because usually it may happen the other way, VPN connections flagged as suspicious or bot activity, and regular non-proxied IPs working well. Maybe your cloudflare flags connections by geographical origin sometimes?
 

Asteriskos

Disciple
Joined
Apr 16, 2024
Messages
826
Reaction score
1,323
Awards
12
It seems to me to be at least partly geographical and very strange, some functions are affected more than others, I've see button lags close to 30 seconds. Some tabs will never stop trying to load, other strange stuff, interesting but gets old very fast.
 
Top