• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Club "Kabalah, Magic, and the Great Work of Self-Transformation" by Lyam Thomas Christopher

A communal reading and discussion exercise for a particular book/series.
Reaction score
Awards
I'm opening up a discussion for those similarly aligned, have read the book, are reading the book, or interested in the book.

The book is a complete course for the aspiring Adept, he has a YouTube channel (easily found in a YouTube search by Lyam Christopher).

The book is a combination of fiction,.mythology and non fiction.
The book guides you through several grades of what would be the Golden Dawn system of magic, which is I believe the inspiration for the book, even though it uses some filmic or Crowley rituals. There are a couple of blinds I've noticed in the book, or perhaps they were proof editor mistakes.

Nonetheless his YouTube channel is helpful as he clears up subjects that are related to the book. The book starts you off as a neophyte which is the first through fourth chapters, and introduces you to the beginning rituals in a formula format. The formula is a collection of rituals .. such as the qabalistic cross ritual, the Lesser banishing ritual of the pentagram, and the middle pillar ritual. It also introduces you to grounding exercises, diary exercises, side reading, and projects.

I am currently working through Zelator material, which is chapter 5 in the book.

I will be discussing in this thread post the zealotor material, which is the same as the neophyte formula, with the addition of a few visualization exercises and a ritual.

Let's cut to the chase, and get to the ritual, it is the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Hexagram. It introduces you to banishing and invoking Saturn. The visualization exercises are the Ascent into the Cube of Space, the Body in Assiah, the Zelator meditation, and the Invoking the Four Powers of Earth ritual.

With each braid, there is a minimum number of months spent in that particular grade. This is so you don't overstay your welcome and so you don't understand you're welcome. There are in the first through 4th Elemental grades, a maximum.

I will be adding to this and the time to come, as I progress through the grade. I am looking for myself, to advance to the Theoricus grade, or the air grade, by June of this year.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I will probably join in for the discussion part.

I'm working another system right now, so while I won't be initiating LTC's way I would like to go back and read through it.

I've also wanted to go back and experiment with some of his Pentagram and Hexagram rituals just to see what experiences I might have with them.

I look forward to your insights as an initiate though and you'll get to Air before you know it.

Reaction score
Awards
I will attempt the unicursal hexagram ritual (I have been avoiding the four forms method and using traditional GD star of David hexagrams but with the regular process as outlined. The unicursal hexagram has been a pain in the ass to me, in trying it, yet I can see why it's preferred with especially Invoking Sol.

The Invoking Four Powers of Earth is interesting as I've seen those phrases used before, perhaps in Opening by Watchtower in part.

Cool, the more the merrier!

Reaction score
Awards
There appears to be two problems in the Zelator grade, and possibly one in the Neophyte grade.
Neophyte:
During the Middle Pillar Ritual the Lack of the statement:
"Let the Divine Light Descend!"
After the four vibrations of ADONAI HA ARETZ and before the circulation of breath-energy of the Body of Light.

Zelator:
Same statement lacking in the invoking or banishing LRH of Saturn. The question of where it should fall in The Analysis of the Keyword is open for debate.

The Invoking the Four Powers of Earth with the statement of "the rumbling of the midnight depths" should be North and not East in the text.
Then you should turn east and issue the phrase containing "the anchor of the soul".
Then complete the circle, by turning to the south, then proceed to clockwise turn back to the east to envision the ToL and vibrate ADONAI HA ARETZ. ADONAI MELEKH. Etc.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I liked the book, and appreciate how thorough it is with all the extra recommended reading, but his YouTube presence has put me off.

He has some pretty wild views, eg that the pentagrams in the LIRP are human-forms that a spirit, particularly a demon you need to deal with, can inhabit, like you are creating 4 costumes that a spirit can put on to interact with you at each quarter (not the archangels, other spirits, particularly demons, that are drawn to it). He says that's why people's lives get chaotic when they start performing the LRP (but that it's a good thing, it gives you an opportunity to deal with the demons)

And that the LBRP is also creating humanoid costumes, but they're scarecrows that keep spirits away

That's an interesting idea and I'm happy for him to share it, but I don't like that he presents these views as "the facts" (which the viewer will assume are Golden Dawn teachings) rather than his theory. Especially since his audience is beginners.

Like, I am currently creating my own version of the Tree of Life with paths that fit my experience and understanding better, and I might share it later. But I would NEVER share it as "here's the kabbalistic tree of life" - I would make sure to be clear that my version of it isn't the traditional one

So it bothers me that he doesn't do that with his non-traditional theories

If he was writing a book on chaos magic, that would be okay - you know everything a chaos magician says is their own theory - but when someone says he's Golden Dawn, it's different

That said, I do think it's an interesting theory. And we don't actually need a book that just repeats traditional Golden Dawn teachings, because we already have those.

So, mixed feelings I guess

(And I think the book has a lot less of his personal theories than the YouTube channel)

Reaction score
Awards
Originally, Regardie knew the Neophyte needed a ritual and was to refrain from use of Book Nine - The Angelic Tablets - Enochian until they were at Adeptus Minor at the least.
So right there the Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram was created. And the student was to commit to a solid year of use of the LRP, twice daily. The reason why was not explained. Nor the side effects of use of it and the shelf life of the LRP.
The shelf life of the LRP is twelve hours.
Hence, the student was to banish twice a day. The side effects of the LRP is that it "lights you up on the astral plane", which this plane is not touched until the Theoricus grade. When we set our feet on the path , we are banging on the gates demanding entry. It is a probationary grade, so if you fail or succeed in opening the gates, you are advised to also undergo some form of psychotherapy.
In Malkuth, you are fully lit up. You are exposed to all forms of beings. This the LBRP should be your best friend at Neophyte up to Adeptus Minor. Then circulation of the Body of Light and control of your aura become your new besties. It doesn't mean you stop using the LRP.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I liked the book, and appreciate how thorough it is with all the extra recommended reading, but his YouTube presence has put me off.

He has some pretty wild views, eg that the pentagrams in the LIRP are human-forms that a spirit, particularly a demon you need to deal with, can inhabit, like you are creating 4 costumes that a spirit can put on to interact with you at each quarter (not the archangels, other spirits, particularly demons, that are drawn to it). He says that's why people's lives get chaotic when they start performing the LRP (but that it's a good thing, it gives you an opportunity to deal with the demons)

And that the LBRP is also creating humanoid costumes, but they're scarecrows that keep spirits away

That's an interesting idea and I'm happy for him to share it, but I don't like that he presents these views as "the facts" (which the viewer will assume are Golden Dawn teachings) rather than his theory. Especially since his audience is beginners.

Like, I am currently creating my own version of the Tree of Life with paths that fit my experience and understanding better, and I might share it later. But I would NEVER share it as "here's the kabbalistic tree of life" - I would make sure to be clear that my version of it isn't the traditional one

So it bothers me that he doesn't do that with his non-traditional theories

If he was writing a book on chaos magic, that would be okay - you know everything a chaos magician says is their own theory - but when someone says he's Golden Dawn, it's different

That said, I do think it's an interesting theory. And we don't actually need a book that just repeats traditional Golden Dawn teachings, because we already have those.

So, mixed feelings I guess

(And I think the book has a lot less of his personal theories than the YouTube channel)

You just explained that better than I could because his live presence has turned me off a bit too.

He reminds of David Hyde Pierce's portrayal of Niles from the US Sitcom Frasier.

It's this upper crust kind of stuffy almost arrogant vibe where he presents his view as authoritative fact.

His views are absolutely a bit wild too.

I just watched his video on K&C w/ the HGA a few days ago and if a person was going into that video confused then he would have confused them even more while he presents it as 'I hope that cleared it up for you'.

I do like his book and think it's a good overview and introduction to outer order work but his personal presence rubs me wrong.

Reaction score
Awards
Yeah. I know what you mean as the vibe goes. Some of his views I'm not in agreement with.
I'm also not sure which Golden Dawn temple he comes from, as he seems more OTO or AA rather than SRIA or GD.
Bit, his book, with careful reading and questioning is in general a very good primer on Magick, with very little fluff.
Post automatically merged:

But, to be fair to Christopher, Crowley broke the rules, Regardie broke the rules (but with good reason), and the Ciceros likewise introduces Enochian, as did Kraig, before the student is a Zelator Adeptus Minor.

Last edited:

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah. I know what you mean as the vibe goes. Some of his views I'm not in agreement with.
I'm also not sure which Golden Dawn temple he comes from, as he seems more OTO or AA rather than SRIA or GD.
Bit, his book, with careful reading and questioning is in general a very good primer on Magick, with very little fluff.

But, to be fair to Christopher, Crowley broke the rules, Regardie broke the rules (but with good reason), and the Ciceros likewise introduces Enochian, as did Kraig, before the student is a Zelator Adeptus Minor.

From what I've gathered the Cicero's present the closest experience of actually initiating with the GD.

I just didn't have the patience for their method though because they basically having you just doing Pentagram rituals all the way to Portal with a metric F-ton of side reading.

and I mean maybe that's actually what it's like.

But just me I need some variation in daily practice with the Hexagram rituals at least.

DMK's book is what I was most comfortable with and Crowley's work also speaks to me.

But I like studying other people's works and opinions too.

John Michael Greer has a lot of good books in the style as well.

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, I know what you mean about the metric ton of side reading that's involved in either book. I understand the point, to induce a certain state of consciousness, a certain mindset, and general knowledge of the mythological and literal history involved in what we do. However, there is still that metric ton of side reading that needs to be done. As a person with a short attention span and a high state of impatience, I find it hard to do all the side reading involved. But I still try.

You might then be interested in what I used to do, until I got freaked out by invoking Luna and invoking mars, that on each day of the week, invoke the planet of that day.
What you can also do, as a runner before the invoking of the planet, is to invoke active spirit lesser ritual of the pentagram, and also to invoke the Archangel of the day.
Then proceed to invoke the planet of the day, through the Lesser ritual of the hexagram.

If there was to be a certain formula, so to speak, I would follow Christopher's lead, and doing a lesser banishing ritual of the pentagram, the Lesser ritual of the hexagram invoking, then an act of spirit or cubic invoking lesser ritual of the pentagram, followed by the metal pillar, and then finally concluding with the Lesser ritual banishing Earth pentagram.

EDIT
If there was to be a certain formula, so to speak, I would follow Christopher's lead, and doing a LBRP, invoke the Archangel of the day, the LRH invoking the planet of the day, then do an (active spirit or kerubic invoking) lesser ritual of the pentagram, followed by the middle pillar, and then finally concluding with the Lesser ritual banishing Earth pentagram.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

But back on topic ... What are your views on Christopher (and Kraig or the Ciceros for that matter), introducing the students to use of Enochian before Portal? Is it just a tool like a dagger or a rifle?

Oh ... On the Archangel invocations for Mars, I wouldn't use Samael, but Khamael instead. Reason being Samael is on the qlippothic hod equivalent sphere.

Last edited:

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Yes that is the general type of format/Formula/script I follow from Scott Stenwick.

He calls opening a ritual session with the LBRP + LIRH the 'Operant Field'

He describes it like this

"The field clears the interior world (Microcosm) and then merges it the with the exterior world(Macrocosm), setting up a space in which thought can more easily become material reality. All of the energy of a spell cast within this field is targeted on the macrocosm and the resulting probability shifts show that magick done this way just influences the outside world better - significantly better."

He advises to end your ritual sessions with the LBRP to send the Energy/Spirits/Spell etc off on it's appointed task or to just end with the QC only if you have invoked energies for High Magick only and are sealing the effects into yourself or a Talisman or a Eucharist or an Elixer.

Scott's 4 Fields are really cool.

Here is a link where he describes them and there is more info in the comments.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Reaction score
Awards
Yeah ... I loved his viewpoints on the four fields!

My view on use of Enochian is that there are so many contaminated currents, that you need a "pure" current, namely Enochian, to plug into the current to activate or power up your magic.

It would be interesting to see Christopher's use of Opening by Watchtower, speaking of Enochian.

It should be enough to invoke the Tetragrammaton (Yahovashah), the Pentagrammaton (Yeheshuah), the archangels, and the two countenances - Metatron amd Sandalphon. But the wills would have to align.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
WRT learning Enochian before portal...

I would say from what I can tell it's mostly helping you make the tablets and introducing you to the system in general.

They don't actually have you 'work' the enochian system before portal or am I wrong about that?

The most I remember any of them having you use enochian is with the SIRP which is basically a juiced up GIRP.

Me personally though I wouldn't mess with full on Enochian until past Portal.

Oh and yes I forgot they do also have you utilizing the Opening by Watchtower.

Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, that's what I thought when skimming later chapters and appendices.

In reads to working the Enochian, I constructed the tablets, and there are visionary exercises such as Ascent into the Cube of Space in the East, but in the North where you tape or hang your completed Earth tablet, you stare at it while doing Body in Assiah and your Zelator Meditation on the point-line-cube.

You're not doing any calls and you're not supposed to do any pronouncing of the rows or columns.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Oh okay yeah good.

You imo for sure don't want to do the calls or muck around with the names or anything until way later.

Me... I wouldn't even really gaze at the Language if it's spelling anything.

You have to 100% know what you are doing and have all the equipment for protection and know how to shut down everything and banish if something goes off.

I remember Aaron Leitch said there are some mistranslations out there as well....or rather mispronunciations out there I mean.

So you could mean to call a singular 'you' but accidentally call... 'all of you' and that's why people have 'weird' problems.

I'm not going to mess around with Enochian until way.....waaaaay..later.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah I'm not a GD purist (or indeed, a GD practitioner, I just... happen to use a lot of their rituals)

The Golden Dawn subreddit haaaaates LRC and every time someone shares his videos there, people tear it apart

But to me "not Golden Dawn" isn't a useful critique of whether a work is GOOD or not

Reaction score
Awards
Yeah .... Too late. In my young and dumb days mucked around with Enochian courtesy of Tyson, Crowley and Scheuler a few times before I learned my lesson.

Interesting. I'm still stuck on html and Facebook forums.

Looking at Theoricus, I find the same issue with the Invoking the Four Powers of Air, as I found with Zelator Invoking the Four Powers of Earth.
One ALWAYS completes the circle, whether LRP or LRH.
Unless (and it should be stated in the book), that you are circling three times.
Yet, the phrases still seem off.

Yeah I'm not a GD purist (or indeed, a GD practitioner, I just... happen to use a lot of their rituals)

The Golden Dawn subreddit haaaaates LRC and every time someone shares his videos there, people tear it apart

But to me "not Golden Dawn" isn't a useful critique of whether a work is GOOD or not
Yeah, it seems to me to be 0ossibpy Thelemic Order of the Golden Dawn possibly. That would make sense with use of the unicursal hexagram.

possibly Thelemic...

I really would like this invoking the four powers of element stuff to be explained better. If the point is to circle around three times, fine. But it's ... Quirky to say the least. I've investigated it up to Philosophus, and the directions are the same. It doesn't make sense to me.

Well, we continue on through Neophyte, where you are introduced to a Tarot Card of the Day, Silence Exercises, Diary Exercises, The Qabalistic Cross Ritual, The Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram (Earth Banishing), and Middle Pillar Ritual; onto Zelator where we get introduced to two of my favorite rituals, the (Unicursal or Thelemic) Lesser Ritual of the Hexagram (Saturn Banishing), and Invoking the Four Powers of Earth, as well as other exercises mainly visualization/visionary exercises.
As Ive found a few blinds in the system, I recommend thorough reading critically referencing other resources as well.

Another recommendation I would have for the student traversing this book, is to make the Formulas cumulative, daily, as I do.

Figuring out a way to handle sub elements of Malkuth, without leaping early into the next grade; the Observer exercise and hindsight are good tools for this.
Need to know I can own the subelements of Earth.
Need to know i have mastered the earth element.
My dream diary has also been helpful.
Perhaps later tonight will backtrack my journal here for past dreams and card pulls.

Still in Chapter Five of the book, trying to get the work done.
My online journal and posts reflect my work.
LTC has a new video up on his YouTube channel.

Work on all outstanding projects and exercises that do not cost money. Find money to complete those that do cost money.
Work on morning Zelator Formula, invoking field, snd evening invoking field Theoricus Formula. Note change in dreams.

Did my Christopher book Zelator Formula last night using The Great Voice.

Listened to ganster rap for an hour, and replayed certain events in my head, and how I wished, for better worse, how they couldve played out in very bad ways. Cut to the chase, Im listening to Lyam Christophers new video on The Magical Diary. Even though someone might be butthurt how Im not an eternal Neophyte and the system assigned title based on my volume of posts made for over a year, so be it.
So, objectifying habits. A bad habit named Skipper and a good habit called Diligenter. Two images I need to objectify, like the stereotypical shoulder demon and angel.

Earth exercise: Mastering the Element of Earth
Tried a combo of constructing a psi ball, feeling the energy of the created and imagined ball of earth energy, like a bowling ball, and dropping it as it picked up speed and became a strike, disappearing into the Earth.

Last edited:

WeirdGnome

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm joining the party as I have more time I can dedicate to my growth.Tomorrow gonna clear my basement so I have nice place to do rituals.

Vandheer

Disciple
Warned
Reaction score
Awards

Never really understood why. Honestly many Golden Dawn practitioners not only seem stuck but also stuck in time. Lyams book is a very serious attempt imo.

But I am not an initiate so what do I know right? Oh, the misery. 😰

Golden Dawns egregore is surely a creation of its time and it seems like its holding some people back.