• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Martial arts

Odin

Neophyte
Reaction score
I've recently taken to doing Historical European Martial Arts, specifically longsword fencing. I like the mixture of skill and history that comes with it. The first class I ever went to started with the instructor pulling out his modern copies of medieval fighting manuscripts for us to look at. It's also great too because you can learn solo on youtube, which I'm currently doing now because of covid shutdowns. I bought a synthetic longsword for 100 dollars and can practice at home with just that. Considering the cost of some martial arts programs this is amazing.

If you're looking for more eastern martial arts I can definitely recommend Ju-Jutsu. It is a very great discipline to learn, and can seriously help in possible self defense situations; especially if you are a smaller person. As always be careful for "McDojos". People who teach absolute bullshit that will not help or possibly even injure you just by practicing. This goes for any martial art.

Yazata

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I did karate and judo when I was about 10 a couple of years.
When I turned 40 I started taekwondo and karate again and did both three years. At the moment I just work out at home, keeping flexible and punching / kicking a bag.
It's a great way to get in shape, and knowing you can kick someone in the head before they can punch you is nice too 😅

Brixgh

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
Not a martial art to be exact but Zhan Zuang did help me in many ways.

You may check the book if you want to learn more: Way Of Energy: Mastering the Chinese Art of Internal Strength with Chi Kung

Here there are videos; it seems simple and it is indeed but quite useful in many ways, as meditation and for building strength too.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Not a martial art to be exact but Zhan Zuang did help me in many ways.

You may check the book if you want to learn more: Way Of Energy: Mastering the Chinese Art of Internal Strength with Chi Kung

Here there are videos; it seems simple and it is indeed but quite useful in many ways, as meditation and for building strength too.

I really enjoy how these arts are making a come back in yoga and even Ido portal. Breath work is really interesting

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
I grew up in a hardcore military family, where every child was taught to shoot starting from age 5. (Baby steps, of course. Careful supervision, and gun is inaccessible when not training) I was also encouraged from a young age to learn other forms of combat, whether hand-to-hand, knives, clubs or other weapons. So I did, and happened to really like it.

So far, I've done mostly MMA and Krav Maga. Also dabbled in escrima a little, just teaching myself what maneuvers I can. Mainly stuff focused on practicality in a fight as well as conditioning. I've been through both paid lessons and training provided by family. Though I had to mostly stop a few years ago due to life shit getting in the way, I plan on getting back into it soon. My college is providing a free kickboxing extracurricular, and though it's not the most directly practical martial art, I do need to at least get into shape again for the mean time. It's not like I can afford actually paying for lessons somewhere anymore.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
I've recently taken to doing Historical European Martial Arts, specifically longsword fencing. I like the mixture of skill and history that comes with it. The first class I ever went to started with the instructor pulling out his modern copies of medieval fighting manuscripts for us to look at. It's also great too because you can learn solo on youtube, which I'm currently doing now because of covid shutdowns. I bought a synthetic longsword for 100 dollars and can practice at home with just that. Considering the cost of some martial arts programs this is amazing.

If you're looking for more eastern martial arts I can definitely recommend Ju-Jutsu. It is a very great discipline to learn, and can seriously help in possible self defense situations; especially if you are a smaller person. As always be careful for "McDojos". People who teach absolute bullshit that will not help or possibly even injure you just by practicing. This goes for any martial art.
One of the things I was taught growing up, was swordfighting as well as fencing. It's definitely one of the things I gravitated to a lot, along with just blades in general. Right now I've been taking up escrima so I can get a more well-rounded perspective of how different types of blades work, especially since it's useful to using machetes in a pinch. I do a lot of hiking off the beaten trails, and living in the pseudo-jungle that I do, machetes are something I commonly have to use. It'd be the most likely thing I'd have on hand in a dangerous situation, whether with some crackhead popping out or a feral hog.

But YES, I second what you're saying about McDojos! They are so fucking terrible, and part of the reason why I've had to stick to some of the more "western" types of martial arts.

Jarhyn

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards

Recently I've been studying Armizare from manuscripts up online, mostly centering around the staff and spear.

At some point I am going to look for plays surrounding my "machete" as well (it's a falcata).

It's not so much about the moves, as it is about the plays, I discovered: the ways to respond to advances, and deliver blows with various objects with your full weight in response to certain attacks.

There are a variety of manuscripts amid a number of authors some better and some worse, about a wide variety of weapons.

It helps if you have a friend or friends to practice with, generally with something that won't get you hurt: nothing that injures with something other than the sharpness.

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards

I sometimes talk on another forum, it’s sad as many are school owners who defend mcdojos

Jarhyn

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I sometimes talk on another forum, it’s sad as many are school owners who defend mcdojos
They don't want their kids really learning how to swing and respond to real situations.

They want the deterrent of "everyone knows 'karate' School Yard MADD" without the actual danger of anyone actually being able to hurt each other and with the confusion that comes from "knowing moves" without "knowing plays".

They don't understand that this is really what those things give them, that this is the root of their appreciation.

Somewhere deep down, they know that such places are as fake as shit, and it might be a feature not a bug

Roma

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
In my view it is important to identify the entity within whose aura the particular martial arts exist. Some of those entities belong to past eras. Most Earth humans should be working within future-oriented entities.

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
In my view it is important to identify the entity within whose aura the particular martial arts exist. Some of those entities belong to past eras. Most Earth humans should be working within future-oriented entities.
Since you keep saying that 8n so many threads can you identify these entities by name, it would be 9f great help to the rest 9f us.

say MMA

Roma

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I am not sure such entities have human names. Nevertheless, the Entity that was responsible for spiritual development of humans and others in the previous manifestation of this solar system (before the pralaya) has carried over into this second solar system to continue with those beings that still need to work with the objectives of the first solar system: control of intelligence and energy.

It seems that many humans in this second solar system find the work of the first solar system familiar and continue with that. That may or may not be advantageous

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I am not sure such entities have human names. Nevertheless, the Entity that was responsible for spiritual development of humans and others in the previous manifestation of this solar system (before the pralaya) has carried over into this second solar system to continue with those beings that still need to work with the objectives of the first solar system: control of intelligence and energy.

It seems that many humans in this second solar system find the work of the first solar system familiar and continue with that. That may or may not be advantageous
You can just ask it for a name and tell us...even God has names though they are more like descriptions like the 70 some names of God.

i ask because you enjoy interjecting your wisdom, it be more helpful if you gave us a name or source rather then vagaries.

Roma

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Are you engaging with the concept of the pralaya?

This Entity has Beingness and on occasion has manifested Existence. I do not know there are names in Beingness.

Step outside Existence and make your own contact.

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Well it’s just that you interject yourself in almost every thread acting like you’re a guru...I’ve never once seen you explain how to do anything.

can I tell anyone here how to ascend the higher realms, etc? Well...I can point them in the direction, my path is Kabbalah, they can look it up, I can give them a few names, a few books, if they want to view the afterlife I can give them jon religious ways too...

you seem to feel the need to jump in and talk about how you see angels, and past life events and can control the dead.....it means nothing to most people though because again you’re not saying how to duplicate this.

now having said that...do I believe someone can talk to angels, see them, see past lives, visit the afterlife, yes the likes of Dion Fortune, Robert Monroe, Bruce Moen wrote books about it as did Christian mystics, as did many a great Jewish save like the Baal Shem tov

BUT....they told us how to do it....when someone gives vague answers to important questions or go try it yourself, IMO they’re either making it up or not as great as they seem...not saying you’re doing this 8m )s that you’ve refused to share how you work many times....

lastly this is a martial arts thread....not a woo woo thread....many arts have a spiritual aspect but you really aren’t going into details about them Anyway

Jarhyn

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
It's interesting insofar as I've looked up a few martial arts tutorials for using a staff and they are for the most part flash without function...

I see someone practicing a jumping long swing, and all I can say is 'that fucker is so over-extended a simple step off the line, especially around the pillar of one's own staff or from an appropriate guard would be enough to end him.

The fact is that anything developed after the rise of the firearm as relates melee weapons is more likely to be Flashy than Smashy.

Roma

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I’ve never once seen you explain how to do anything.
Here is the core of my work as posted here earlier. It is based on the inner structure of the standard human

"Flame in the Heart:

Put the attention in the heart (centre of the chest - midway up the sternum). Visualise a vertical flame of Spirit in the heart. Notice the height, width and colour of the flame.

Visualise an aura of golden-white light around the flame in the heart. That light emanating from the flame will be used to fill and thereby condition the physical body and the light body (aura).

Now using the heart to push, push golden-white light down the left leg into the foot and out into the Earth. Push the light as a tight clockwise spiral down through the thigh bone and shin bone, out into the Earth.

As this is the first time, take some time with this. The foot often will start to tingle as the cells respond to the Light.

Now draw the light back up from the Earth, now spiraling anticlockwise, through the muscles and flesh. Bring the light up to the left hipjoint and stop there.

With practice the whole of the left leg will be filled with light and have a soft tingle.

Now do the right leg - push with the heart, light clockwise through the bones and anti-clockwise up through the flesh.

Now attention back to the heart and push light downwards as a large clockwise spiral filling the whole of the abdomen.

Back to the heart - expand the light, push it out to fill the chest cavity - from front to back and from side to side.

Back to the heart - push the light into the left shoulder then into the arm - clockwise spiral filling the arm and out through the hand - one way only.

Same with the right shoulder and arm.

Back to the heart - push a spiral of light upwards anticlockwise filling the throat into the brain - carefully filling the brain with light and then push the light out through the skull into the hair.

This exercise ought to take about 20 minutes when first being done. Later, as the exercise accelerates the shedding of denser substance from the body it becomes more sensitive to Light and responds quite quickly. The denser substance contains trauma and karma and predisposes to dark behaviour.

The exercise can be done as often as convenient - but a minimum of twice a day is recommended.

One of the key skills being learned here is the use of the heart chakra - the natural focus of humanity.

The exercise accelerates the integration and refinement of the personality so that it may progessively transmit more Spirit.

Golden-white light has specific qualities particularly useful to humans."

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Here is the core of my work as posted here earlier. It is based on the inner structure of the standard human

"Flame in the Heart:

Put the attention in the heart (centre of the chest - midway up the sternum). Visualise a vertical flame of Spirit in the heart. Notice the height, width and colour of the flame.

Visualise an aura of golden-white light around the flame in the heart. That light emanating from the flame will be used to fill and thereby condition the physical body and the light body (aura).

Now using the heart to push, push golden-white light down the left leg into the foot and out into the Earth. Push the light as a tight clockwise spiral down through the thigh bone and shin bone, out into the Earth.

As this is the first time, take some time with this. The foot often will start to tingle as the cells respond to the Light.

Now draw the light back up from the Earth, now spiraling anticlockwise, through the muscles and flesh. Bring the light up to the left hipjoint and stop there.

With practice the whole of the left leg will be filled with light and have a soft tingle.

Now do the right leg - push with the heart, light clockwise through the bones and anti-clockwise up through the flesh.

Now attention back to the heart and push light downwards as a large clockwise spiral filling the whole of the abdomen.

Back to the heart - expand the light, push it out to fill the chest cavity - from front to back and from side to side.

Back to the heart - push the light into the left shoulder then into the arm - clockwise spiral filling the arm and out through the hand - one way only.

Same with the right shoulder and arm.

Back to the heart - push a spiral of light upwards anticlockwise filling the throat into the brain - carefully filling the brain with light and then push the light out through the skull into the hair.

This exercise ought to take about 20 minutes when first being done. Later, as the exercise accelerates the shedding of denser substance from the body it becomes more sensitive to Light and responds quite quickly. The denser substance contains trauma and karma and predisposes to dark behaviour.

The exercise can be done as often as convenient - but a minimum of twice a day is recommended.

One of the key skills being learned here is the use of the heart chakra - the natural focus of humanity.

The exercise accelerates the integration and refinement of the personality so that it may progessively transmit more Spirit.

Golden-white light has specific qualities particularly useful to humans."

Thank you

Amur

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I'm a practitioner of Ninjutsu myself. Been doing it my whole lifetime and always learning more. When you get a black belt it gets really interesting as it has so many spirit aspects inside itself. Also made a complete cartography of the herbs inside this country that can be used for if you get poisoned by a blade or something else or ingest poison and how to get it removed etc. etc. But the punishments for abusing this are quite severe and if you even attack someone first you get a really strict punishment. Even if you use excessive force on someone you get a punishment. So it's pretty controlled in itself which is good. Because these things are really dangerous if you know the sport well enough. Naturally I'm one that hates violence as I'm an Empath. So I seldom engage in physical combat. But it's good to know these thing if you get into a situation. Martial Arts is something that I would recommend for any growing child to get self-confidence.