• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

New Age weird

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
i find them handy when you need a different view. most of the time im the evil one in theory. sometimes that sips into life and becomes boredom, annoyance or something else irritating. new age terms are often of a positive intent and to me the way they name things feels childlike/ a bit stupid. it makes me smile and take myself not so serious.

like when you feel totally yin and start to like darker thoughts and feel you are starting to hate life again. you then read a new age text about how you can clean energies with rainbow thoughts. it makes me smile and suck the fucker down till hes death.

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
It seems to me that new age occultisim is super vauge and monetized very heavely
Is there anything of value in new age type of stuff wich isint taken from some other tradition

Honestly, I've steered clear of most neo-pagan and "new agey" stuff, but I'm all about reconstructionism.
Anthropologically evidenced spiritual shit? Count me in!
Stuff that some dude made up because he saw a cool symbol once? Nah fam.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
It seems to me that new age occultisim is super vauge and monetized very heavely
Rather than vague it seems more that they try to syncretize different systems and beliefs into one single "one size fits all" thing.
I do agree that it is heavily monetized though, probably because since it can cater to everyone and everything it can also be sold more easily.

Is there anything of value in new age type of stuff wich isint taken from some other tradition
It teaches you to be open minded, and to me that is the only thing it is worth out of it.Personally I don't like new age not only because it is very commercialized(sometiems it gives me even a MLM/pyramid scheme vibes) but also because by trying to be everything for everyone, it ends up being nothing for no one.

It's like trying to re-invent the wheel, thinking that you're going beyond the entire wheel concept, only to realize that you still are using a wheel through another way.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Whatever happened to the term "fluffy bunny"?

My run ins with "toxic optimism" - a New Age trait - have proven quite formidable, so there is "value" in lessons of rainbow blast manipulation. If I wanted to start a cult, I would appeal to inner fluffiness and universal felinity.

But lately I have been wondering if there is not also "value" in the so-called "First Stage of Enlightenment". It's a weird feeling... fluff...

IllusiveOwl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Most new age "life contract" spiritualists and toe-dippers into spirituality wind up having "panic attacks" and "mental breakdowns" when I explain to them concepts like Samsara or the Gnostic Archons... I don't think they're really prepared to see a reality that isn't glistening rainbows & consent.

Life will harden them, like the Gnostic gospels say, they are drunk, but when they are sober they will go to truth.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
"toxic optimism" - a New Age trait
As a staunch pessimist, i think this is one of the reasons why I'm so against New Age.The idea that you HAVE to seek light in everything and everywhere, that you HAVE to be happy(even if you aren't, because people don't want to "deal with your bad vibes"), that things do happen if you really want them(and if they don't happen, oh well, guess you "didn't want it enough then")...

They forget that people aren't only happiness, aren't only carefree moments.We all have our shadows too and that in itself isn't the end of the world that they make it be.Having darkness in oneself is as natural as having light as we are creatures of conflict.

I would also say that the New Age movement ruined the image of crystals, oils and Eastern practices like Yoga.It's as if they made a mockery of it all.Even psychic stuff became more of a joke under the New Age.

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I would also say that the New Age movement ruined the image of crystals, oils and Eastern practices like Yoga.It's as if they made a mockery of it all.

THIS
As someone who genuinely enjoys yoga, I hate how devoid of the spiritual aspect it is. Yoga was literally a spiritual practice and now it's presented as...

Just another exercise fad.

Mars

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
THIS
As someone who genuinely enjoys yoga, I hate how devoid of the spiritual aspect it is. Yoga was literally a spiritual practice and now it's presented as...

Just another exercise fad.

Fucking hell exactly this. Again the western idiot turned it into something that single moms with inflated egos can do during their brunch with 12 others of the same Gestalt. Perverted forms of hartha yoga stretching exercises. Of course they wear super tight yoga pants so that anyone can see their labia contract. When it is very clearly written that you must be detached from lust to do it.

Yoga means work or activities, something they will never do. If they would at least appropriate the mindset of work. But no "Law of Attraction" I will just attract it. Haha. Alexander conquered the entirety of persia and half of india because he "attracted it". The blood of heroes is closer to the gods than the ink of scholars or the prayers of the pious. Acta non verba. Gods only understand the language of action. Karma Yoga/ Bhakti-Yoga

Gregorius

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
As a staunch pessimist, i think this is one of the reasons why I'm so against New Age.The idea that you HAVE to seek light in everything and everywhere, that you HAVE to be happy(even if you aren't, because people don't want to "deal with your bad vibes"), that things do happen if you really want them(and if they don't happen, oh well, guess you "didn't want it enough then")...

They forget that people aren't only happiness, aren't only carefree moments.We all have our shadows too and that in itself isn't the end of the world that they make it be.Having darkness in oneself is as natural as having light as we are creatures of conflict.

I would also say that the New Age movement ruined the image of crystals, oils and Eastern practices like Yoga.It's as if they made a mockery of it all.Even psychic stuff became more of a joke under the New Age.
I thought crystals were only new age

Accipeveldare

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Not really. However, I will say that your reference to things "taken" from other practices isn't necessarily a new age thing. As you may know, chaos magick is the practice of taking certain aspects from different esoteric practices and religious practices as needed as there is truth to all of them. The gist is that there is not ONE "real" pantheon but that belief is more of a tool that brings these things into existence and manifests them for you. However, Chaos magick has been around since Jesus Christ himself so I wouldn't say this is a "new age" thing. New age would be more like, wicca, Thelema, O9A, TST, etc. All of which I do personally believe are bs but that is up for discussion in another thread.

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I thought crystals were only new age
In the sense of crystal grids and "harmonizing with their frequencies" yes. Pretty rocks are ultimately forever, and specific stones and minerals have always existed - at least in some sense - as occult fetishes, or aesthetic choices.

Accipeveldare

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
In the sense of crystal grids and "harmonizing with their frequencies" yes. Pretty rocks are ultimately forever, and specific stones and minerals have always existed - at least in some sense - as occult fetishes, or aesthetic choices.
I wouldn't say the crystals themselves are new age but that the way they are being used is. Crystals HAVE been used for a long time for esoteric practices but not in the way they are now. I don't personally think you need to "charge" a crystal with energy to use it for an esoteric practice lol

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I wouldn't say the crystals themselves are new age but that the way they are being used is. Crystals HAVE been used for a long time for esoteric practices but not in the way they are now. I don't personally think you need to "charge" a crystal with energy to use it for an esoteric practice lol

I mean, you can definitely pump qi into a crystal to make it do weird things (My dad claims that he was able to get a quartz pyramid to literally "light up"), but having to specifically "charge" them for them to work? that's a misunderstanding about how crystals "work"

Accipeveldare

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I mean, you can definitely pump qi into a crystal to make it do weird things (My dad claims that he was able to get a quartz pyramid to literally "light up"), but having to specifically "charge" them for them to work? that's a misunderstanding about how crystals "work"
Yes, as someone who works with energy manipulation quite a bit I definitely agree. Qi makes sense for pumping crystals but using moonlight to charge them and stuff is just plain childish in my opinion