• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Occult teachers/mentors

Nocturnum

Neophyte
Reaction score
I was curious about people that practice witchcraft, if you had a mentor/teacher to help you to study, learn and practice witchcraft?
There are unfortunately a lot of people that are spiritual narcissists, gatekeeping information, the new age toxic positivity-(positive vibes only) is becoming a problem in the spiritual/occult/witch community.
It makes it difficult to discern who actually has real knowledge & experience with witchcraft and are trustworthy & who is a liar & a predatory spiritual narcissist.

My boyfriend could teach me about witchcraft, I do want to study & learn about & practice witchcraft but he lives in a different timezone to me so that makes it difficult to teach me about witchcraft.
Is it worth having a occult mentor?
How do people teach themselves how to practice witchcraft when they are a solitary witch?

Viktor

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Excellent question!
I think good portion of folks in the occult do not have mentors but are instead self-taught ex. by reading books and experimenting or surfing online etc..

And I agree, a lot of mentors are not to be trusted, one has to be very careful.
If I were to look for mentorship I would look for established communities such as wicca or rosicrucians rather than individuals.

You can also take a look into bazaar on this forum to find trustworthy people.

Wintruz

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
My own initiation wasn't into witchcraft (though, as a young teen, I mingled with an Alexandrian coven before what I'd call my "major" awakening) but I think the same experience could probably be applied to any initiatory tradition...

It's a truth many do not like in our democratic age but being in the physical presence of an experienced person, who has travelled a long way down the path, can accomplish what years of solitary study cannot. At its best, there's a transfer of energies which occurs when one is receptive. In an ideal situation this should be a rare thing which supports otherwise serious solitary work.

If a good teacher cannot be found and one is essentially forced into solitary practice then guidebooks should be used to illuminate what's already there. They shouldn't become a mould into which one tries to fit themselves. Trust your sense of wonder; it's a signal from a force that's drawing you towards it.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
While I believe that having a mentor is beneficial for most things(mostly the mundane ones), I am very wary about seeking one when it comes to the occult and magic side of life.
  1. I feel like this is an area that is very personal practice and while a mentor can help you fix your mistakes before you even do them, in the end just as is with the mundane, you will have to learn from your mistakes in order to make it correctly next time.Self-development is something that no one can do for you.
  2. I've seen and read many news and documentaries about people that would claim to deal with the supernatural/paranormal, have powers and etc.And then they would use their "experience" to abuse those either seeking their services of their teachings.So, since I'm already doubtful of people in general, I do not want a mentor that might not only lead me astray but also abuse my trust.So I go my own way.

Nocturnum

Neophyte
Reaction score
While I believe that having a mentor is beneficial for most things(mostly the mundane ones), I am very wary about seeking one when it comes to the occult and magic side of life.
  1. I feel like this is an area that is very personal practice and while a mentor can help you fix your mistakes before you even do them, in the end just as is with the mundane, you will have to learn from your mistakes in order to make it correctly next time.Self-development is something that no one can do for you.
  2. I've seen and read many news and documentaries about people that would claim to deal with the supernatural/paranormal, have powers and etc.And then they would use their "experience" to abuse those either seeking their services of their teachings.So, since I'm already doubtful of people in general, I do not want a mentor that might not only lead me astray but also abuse my trust.So I go my own way.
That's understandable, people are spiritual narcissists, abusive/exploitative and men have been abusive to me, including people that claimed that they wanted to help me, or teach me about witchcraft that had unknown intentions.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
From my own understanding, going with other people's practicing my not work for you. You have to come up with your own rituals and your own way to work with Magick. That's why I don't read books or go on YouTube a lot. Because I go within myself to get the downloads of Ideas or information.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
meh.
people are just too formal about it.
If you are willing to learn you will find something in everyone worth noting.
i learned bits from practically every active user here and in general people like talking about their interests.
ask some questions, read older threads, shoot some dms, don't make it all about yourself
and the only way you don't learn anything is if you don't deserve to.

Rowena

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Is it worth having a occult mentor?
Yes, but as you are already aware, there are people who will abuse the position, and it can be difficult to tell the difference, at least initially.
My experience is that pretty much everyone who advertises in public as a mentor, teacher, guide or similar has significantly less knowledge than they pretend, and is either pandering to their ego or intending to take advantage of their followers in some manner.
I would recommend you avoid such people.

I'd suggest a study group - find a group of people with overlapping interests, and bounce ideas off each other.
As long as no one person is in control, the opportunities for abuse are limited.

Nocturnum

Neophyte
Reaction score
That's understandable, it sucks to not have privacy to practice witchcraft due to living with my family, I live in a small town so other than some witchy shops I don't know anyone locally that has similar interests.

theantichrist

Pathetic Weasel
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
That's understandable, it sucks to not have privacy to practice witchcraft due to living with my family, I live in a small town so other than some witchy shops I don't know anyone locally that has similar interests.
You can practice whatever you want. You only need a room and books. By the time you are ready to make magic you probably already moved.
Post automatically merged:

You know I live on my own and if you live in a flat it's difficult as well. All amazing things I have learnt or did wasn't making pompous noisy rituals... And I used to think as you as well. That I need a house in the woods but I don't think so.

Rowena

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I live in a small town so other than some witchy shops I don't know anyone locally that has similar interests.
Do they have a notice board for local groups?
Have you asked of they know of any local groups that you might be interested in?
Will they let you post your own advert to round up people with similar interests?

Nocturnum

Neophyte
Reaction score
You can practice whatever you want. You only need a room and books. By the time you are ready to make magic you probably already moved.

You know I live on my own and if you live in a flat it's difficult as well. All amazing things I have learnt or did wasn't making pompous noisy rituals... And I used to think as you as well. That I need a house in the woods but I don't think so.
I know you don't need really expensive tools, to practice witchcraft, but I wanted to study & learn the basic principles for practicing witchcraft, but I feel drawn to and resonate with various types of witchcraft, various types of spiritual/Occult practices.
Polytheistic beliefs, Eclectic witchcraft, so i'm not sure what to focus on first.
I have limited space so I have a makeshift altar on top of my bookshelf.
I know it's important to practice protecting your energy, using wards, not allow everyone access to your energy, knowing the difference between a Egregore, Trickster, malicious, harmful or parasitic types of spirits.
I have a book The Encyclopedia of Spirits-it's 1000 pages long though, so it will take me forever to read lol.
I'm studying what I feel drawn to or resonate with, so I have books about Demonology, Medieval Demonology, different types of spirits, entities, demons, beings etc..

theantichrist

Pathetic Weasel
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I know you don't need really expensive tools, to practice witchcraft, but I wanted to study & learn the basic principles for practicing witchcraft, but I feel drawn to and resonate with various types of witchcraft, various types of spiritual/Occult practices.
Polytheistic beliefs, Eclectic witchcraft, so i'm not sure what to focus on first.
I know it's important to practice protecting your energy, using wards, not allow everyone access to your energy, knowing the difference between a Egregore, Trickster, malicious, harmful or parasitic types of spirits.
I have a book The Encyclopedia of Spirits-it's 1000 pages long though, so it will take me forever to read lol.
I'm studying what I feel drawn to or resonate with, so I have books about Demonology, Medieval Demonology, different types of spirits, entities, demons, beings etc..
My personal advice is, just do what you feel and keep in mind you don't need absolutely anything but yourself. You will read lots of things, lot of bullshit, and if you are meant to be a witch the important things will be learnt by your everyday life not in books, but books help. Also, you don't even need to make any kind of practice believe me. If you want it, and it is for you, it will find you my dear. Always remember, the most valuable knowledge will be learnt by your experience in every day life and having solitude during years. When I say solitude, I mean to be alone with yourself. You can live with your family and still be on your own, and eventually you will be tottaly on your own. But have in mind the the path of magic is not a road of roses, if it works for you, you will go through the worse nightmare that you can ever imagine, and during this nightmare, you will have to choose in which side you are. No matter the side you choose, it's gonna be the same difficult. I wish you the best if you need anything write me.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
my advice is to be slow with it.
the types of interests you are drawn to are typically known to include the worst of us
hell i don't even respect them as legit occultists anymore but yeah.
not the worst in some lord of evil way, more of the "always on the line between abusing or gaslighting"
usually the Thelema (for no fault of their own) gang has the worst specimens

Nocturnum

Neophyte
Reaction score
Do they have a notice board for local groups?
Have you asked of they know of any local groups that you might be interested in?
Will they let you post your own advert to round up people with similar interests?
I didn't think of that, but i'll ask them next time i'm there.

my advice is to be slow with it.
the types of interests you are drawn to are typically known to include the worst of us
hell i don't even respect them as legit occultists anymore but yeah.
not the worst in some lord of evil way, more of the "always on the line between abusing or gaslighting"
usually the Thelema (for no fault of their own) gang has the worst specimens
I understand.
Yikes, okay, that's understandable. Thanks

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards

Commit yourself to 10 pages a day. By July 1, you'll be done. Really, one can surprise himself how quickly needful knowledge can be soaked up.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I did not have a teacher, most of the stuff I learned from books or the internet. I am also too socially awkward to even approach a teacher.
Approaching one might be a good test then. Not quite Siegfried and Fafnir the dragon, but a test all the same.