• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Occult teachers/mentors

Pax_

Visitor
Reaction score
Honestly I would love a mentor, however I'm already picky when heeding advice and I become twice worse when it's about the occult. I do think it's important though, to have a clear guidance is always a good thing. But as other have commented those that claim themselves as guides/mentor then to do so more for ego than anything else 🤷‍♀️.

I've seen some people do rituals for finding mentors or deepening in the occult and I've got to say it makes me more curious each passing day.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I've always thought I wanted a Master/sensei/ 师傅. But every time someone makes mentoring noises I get a Jerry-Sandusky-just-stepped-into-my-shower sort of feeling in my belly.

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Honestly I would love a mentor, however I'm already picky when heeding advice and I become twice worse when it's about the occult.
Not neccesarily the worst trait if you ask me. Surely a better alternative than accepting everything.

I do think it's important though, to have a clear guidance is always a good thing.
Also there are exchanges of energy with the teacher, something you don't get by yourself.

I've seen some people do rituals for finding mentors or deepening in the occult and I've got to say it makes me more curious each passing day.
I actually might do something like this for Gurdjieff type of work 🤔. I have heard many of the teachers in there also started developing complexes though.

Rowena

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
...I am also too socially awkward to even approach a teacher.
I wouldn't let that hold you back - most of the more knowledgeable people I know (on any subject) are on the spectrum, so they are pretty damn socially awkward, there's a good chance they wouldn't even notice that you are as well.

Reaction score
Awards
I was curious about people that practice witchcraft, if you had a mentor/teacher to help you to study, learn and practice witchcraft?
There are unfortunately a lot of people that are spiritual narcissists, gatekeeping information, the new age toxic positivity-(positive vibes only) is becoming a problem in the spiritual/occult/witch community.
It makes it difficult to discern who actually has real knowledge & experience with witchcraft and are trustworthy & who is a liar & a predatory spiritual narcissist.

My boyfriend could teach me about witchcraft, I do want to study & learn about & practice witchcraft but he lives in a different timezone to me so that makes it difficult to teach me about witchcraft.
Is it worth having a occult mentor?
How do people teach themselves how to practice witchcraft when they are a solitary witch?
Not even lodge teachers are non toxic when you piss them off.
Ownchef was possibly mentor material but left.
Roms was a mentor of mine for a short time before I became disillusioned.
I had a toxic relationship with a black magic mentor.
I learned witchcraft on my own courtesy of Conway, Buckland, Adler and Cabot.
AA/OTO Ive been told are cult like and toxic.
Some church denominations, particularly nondenomination are cult like and toxic.

In short, youre better off with the blood sweat and tears approach to magic and or witchcraft.

Lazarus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I didn’t read all the comments so maybe this has been said, but I think one should look at everyone as a mentor. They are either teaching you what works, or they are teaching you what NOT to do.

Viewing everyone as a mentor means that one or a few will resonate deeper with you and you’ll interact and learn more with them more than the rest.

As for identifying intentions or suitability:

1. No abuse of power, labor, sex, or money. Money - you should cover costs. And a small payment for their time is not ridiculous.
Labor - In lieu of cash, small chores (and definitely cleanup from related magical practices) are reasonable.

2. Examine their life - if they are happy, healthy, successful? Those are signs that they’re doing something right. Alternatively, are they sickly, irritable, destitute? Those are signs that you want no part of whatever magic they’re practicing.

3. Lastly, the “right” mentor isn’t going to sell you on or campaign for being your mentor. You should ask them, not the other way around.

Last lastly, there are no superiors on this path. No one is better, we are all on a path of experiences and some who have already been where you are may be happy to share that with you and vice versa.

My “mentor” hates when I refer to him as such, which makes me do it all the more lol, but he swears that he’s learned more from me than I have from him. We are brothers walking the same path and sharing our insights for mutual growth. That is all.

Reaction score
Awards
I didn’t read all the comments so maybe this has been said, but I think one should look at everyone as a mentor. They are either teaching you what works, or they are teaching you what NOT to do.

Viewing everyone as a mentor means that one or a few will resonate deeper with you and you’ll interact and learn more with them more than the rest.

As for identifying intentions or suitability:

1. No abuse of power, labor, sex, or money. Money - you should cover costs. And a small payment for their time is not ridiculous.
Labor - In lieu of cash, small chores (and definitely cleanup from related magical practices) are reasonable.

2. Examine their life - if they are happy, healthy, successful? Those are signs that they’re doing something right. Alternatively, are they sickly, irritable, destitute? Those are signs that you want no part of whatever magic they’re practicing.

3. Lastly, the “right” mentor isn’t going to sell you on or campaign for being your mentor. You should ask them, not the other way around.

Last lastly, there are no superiors on this path. No one is better, we are all on a path of experiences and some who have already been where you are may be happy to share that with you and vice versa.

My “mentor” hates when I refer to him as such, which makes me do it all the more lol, but he swears that he’s learned more from me than I have from him. We are brothers walking the same path and sharing our insights for mutual growth. That is all.
Yeah, Vandheer called it right early on. I shouldnt be a mentor to anyone, and others should demand proof for any claims I make.
There is also a couple more possibilities:
1. Youre being treated as a Biblical Job character, God and the Devil are both porking you.
2. Youre not meant to be a witch, magician, seer or anything else. Stay in your lane.

Lazarus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
@Diluculo_DelFuego correction, you shouldn’t try to be a mentor. just be your open honest self and that is sufficient. Many times in multiple ways you have given me insight to things I’ve never considered. I value and appreciate that from you.

Other musings of mine for everyone else: I’ve taken on a personal obligation (as I think all mystics should once they reach any levels of proficiency) to never turn away a true seeker. That doesn’t mean I’m anyone’s mentor or guru, but if I see that you’re a true seeker (specific path doesn’t matter) then I’m obligated to not turn my back to you. I will happily help in any reasonable way I can regarding advice, wisdom, helping point you in the right direction, etc. because we are both seekers.

Catch: if you dispute, reject, or ignore my help that’s fine, but I’m no longer obligated anymore.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Not even lodge teachers are non toxic when you piss them off.
Ownchef was possibly mentor material but left.
Roms was a mentor of mine for a short time before I became disillusioned.
I had a toxic relationship with a black magic mentor.
I learned witchcraft on my own courtesy of Conway, Buckland, Adler and Cabot.
AA/OTO Ive been told are cult like and toxic.
Some church denominations, particularly nondenomination are cult like and toxic.

In short, youre better off with the blood sweat and tears approach to magic and or witchcraft.

Just No my dude.

That guy was FOS and feeding people’s wild delusions with completely fictitious fantasy like abilities.

Most everyone here seems to be at different stages of learning myself included.

But you just listed two of the least people who should be instructing others.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Just No my dude.

That guy was FOS and feeding people’s wild delusions with completely fictitious fantasy like abilities.

Most everyone here seems to be at different stages of learning myself included.

But you just listed two of the least people who should be instructing others.
I missed out on Ownchef. Sounds like worth a look, if only to cast him in the novels I have stopped writing. Roma seemed ok. It was all his dead relatives and his arcane entities posse that put a crimp in his communications.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I missed out on Ownchef. Sounds like worth a look, if only to cast him in the novels I have stopped writing. Roma seemed ok. It was all his dead relatives and his arcane entities posse that put a crimp in his communications.

If you’ve ever watched the Sci-Fi film ‘Jumper’ with Hayden Christiansen and enjoyed it then you’ll probably find the Chefs archived posts here entertaining.