• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Pets Are NOT Your Familiar

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
originally posted on my blog*

Idk who needs to hear this but PETS ARE NOT YOUR FAMILIAR. Idc how cute Mr Pebbles looks when you're meditating and he's next to you or how many times Spartacus likes to hang around your altar when doing magic, they're not your familar. A familiar is a spiritual/magical assistant that is given to the practitioner by another, usually ranked/hierarchic (in other words, superior), spirit. This familiar spirit does not take on a physical body. Well, rather I should say they rarely take on physical bodies and when they do it's briefly and then they're gone (they usually do this to get a message/warning to us quickly). They don't hang around to be your pet. Some excellent examples of superior spirits giving familiars can be found in the Goetia. Quite a few spirits are known to give "good" and "excellent" familiars. Spirits like Paimon, Morax, Shax, and Valefor all give familiar to the requesting magus, among a host of others. Going further, the Olympic Spirits Bethor and Phul give familiars. Bethor's is explicit while Phul's description states "....gives spirits of the water...". While I have not received any familiars myself from Phul, there's no logical reason to think it means otherwise.

Even Bardon in his The Practice of Magical Evocation makes mention of the familiar spirits given to magicians by demons and goes on to suggest that a magician should deal properly with such spirits for we are all still bound by karmic law. Robin Artisson too refers to his spirit familiar that was given to him by another "terrible being with fleshy knotted feet" in Letters From the Devil's Forest. This notion of "familiar spirits as pets" seems to have sprung up recently as witchcraft and pop occultism found a home online and started going more mainstream. This caused a "dumbing down" of legitimate occult and esoteric information so as to make it more malleable and attractive to a mainstream "spiritual but not religious" audience. However, this audience rarely does any actual research on the things they hear/read so when you mix that with a "be your own guru" mentality you get an audience who makes up whatever they want as they go along and never fact-checks anything. Therefore, we go from a familiar spirit is a spiritual or supernatural assistant to you can pick your familiar up at the local animal rescue! Smh. If you want a familiar, you'll have to initiate veritable contact with a hierarchic being that can provide them and request one. Sorry but real magic requires work and asking mommy and daddy for a puppy or picking up a cat from the rescue isn't work. 🤷‍♂️

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Familiar spirits may find various vehicles useful. I have one that lives in a sword.

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Familiar spirits may find various vehicles useful. I have one that lives in a sword.
Seating/ensouling a familiar into an object is perfectly fine and quite common in many systems. But a familiar being a permanent animal that you have to feed, let out to use the restroom (or clean up after them if it's a cat, bird, rabbit, etc), take to the vet, etc is not a thing.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Reality always turns out to be more complex than I think/feel/see. That makes me cautious about absolute statements

I had a stray cat that occasionally was quite uncatlike. At one stage it was being oppressed daily by a nasty cat that was making very strange horrible sounds. Eventually I understood that there was possession of the second cat. Immediately the entity was removed, the second cat made only normal cat sounds - and I only saw that cat once more

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Reality always turns out to be more complex than I think/feel/see. That makes me cautious about absolute statements

I had a stray cat that occasionally was quite uncatlike. At one stage it was being oppressed daily by a nasty cat that was making very strange horrible sounds. Eventually I understood that there was possession of the second cat. Immediately the entity was removed, the second cat made only normal cat sounds - and I only saw that cat once more
How does that make the cat your (or someone else's) familiar?

Sage

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Maybe it is just a case of people mixing "familiar" and "family/family-like"?

I think this usually happens mostly with people first starting witchcraft, specially if they have cats as pets.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
How does that make the cat your (or someone else's) familiar?
It seemed to me that the entity possessing the second cat was a familiar for another entity that objected to the intelligence that was using my stray.

No humans seemed to be involved. Can non-human entities operate familiars?

hungry_ghost

Internet Forum NPC
Reaction score
Awards
Nice gatekeeping! You sound like one of those laveyans who shill about how there's only one true satanism. Just because you read something in some medieval manuscript it doesn't mean it's right. Just because Bardon or whoever says something it doesn't mean they're right or fully understood the context of something mentioned in one of those ancient books. Lol

league

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Maybe it is just a case of people mixing "familiar" and "family/family-like"?

I think this usually happens mostly with people first starting witchcraft, specially if they have cats as pets.
i totally agree. seems to happen a lot in the beginning

Reaction score
Awards
I have a cat who is my pet and not a familiar. She is 18 years old. So she is not as active as in the past.
Not sure why someone would use their pet as a familiar.

hungry_ghost

Internet Forum NPC
Reaction score
Awards
Warned: Etiquette 1. Don't be a dick.
I don't see why an animal can't be a familiar spirit. I mean I'm talking to people who believe in shit like possession and mind control. So it's not out of the realm of possibility and it's entirely up to the individual to define what is or isn't a familiar. And it ain't sum baby witch shit either. People have been referring to animals as familiars since they formed bonds with them. Just because a few kike authors say it ain't so it doesn't mean they're right.

Noth

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Well, yes but actually no.jpeg.

Thr English language has many faults, and my most hated fault is that we use the same word for different ideas.

The God King (interesting name, btw) is using a specific definition for Familiar and is not basing this on a book, but on centuries (or millennia) of established witchcraft tradition.

I, as well as other practitioners have pets we love, and sometimes they do aid in spell work (I pay my dog well for the use of his black fur when I need it.), but none of our pets can do, or show us what actual familiars are able to for us.

hungry_ghost

Internet Forum NPC
Reaction score
Awards
A lot of traditions have been well documented so I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to point me to your source. Also there's a ton of groups out there that call themselves well established centuries old "witchcraft traditions." For the most part that nonsense is fluff.

People burned witches for talking to familiars (animals). So there's something you should consider. Anyways I'm not going to say everything from the good ol witch burning days were true but a lot of those people got burned because they got caught practicing stuff from older traditions.

You won't change my mind on what a familiar is. I've had too many instances where I happened upon and adopted animals that were relevant to the particular deity I was working with at the time.

Anyways, I'm not going to die on a hill debating this. I have my mind made up and I think gatekeeping is shitty.

Noth

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
A lot of traditions have been well documented so I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to point me to your source. Also there's a ton of groups out there that call themselves well established centuries old "witchcraft traditions." For the most part that nonsense is fluff.

People burned witches for talking to familiars (animals). So there's something you should consider. Anyways I'm not going to say everything from the good ol witch burning days were true but a lot of those people got burned because they got caught practicing stuff from older traditions.

You won't change my mind on what a familiar is. I've had too many instances where I happened upon and adopted animals that were relevant to the particular deity I was working with at the time.

Anyways, I'm not going to die on a hill debating this. I have my mind made up and I think gatekeeping is shitty.
Well, I could point you to sources, but from what I have seen from your replies, you won't take those either. You seem to have made up your mind.

Be well, then.

I'll have to disagree about the gatekeeping, it's quite necessary for something as potentially dangerous as the Occult Arts. Much is kept from us (a good deal of that for our safety) until we have proven ourselves to those who keep the gates. Only through humility, respect, and a willingness to put aside my incorrect beliefs and attitudes have any true doors opened for me.

N0th

hungry_ghost

Internet Forum NPC
Reaction score
Awards
I could point you to sources, but from what I have seen from your replies, you won't take those either. You seem to have made up your mind.
Nice back peddling. Let's blame your inability to provide sources on my mind being made up. I gotcha.

Regardless it doesn't matter what sources you supply. The point is a few sources don't speak for every tradition in existence. They only speak for the tradition they belong to. And that's what I mean by gatekeeping.

Much is kept from us (a good deal of that for our safety) until we have proven ourselves to those who keep the gates.
Some people like having to follow orders and having to answer to others. I do not.

Only through humility, respect, and a willingness to put aside my incorrect beliefs and attitudes have any true doors opened for me.
It sure seems like you're implying something here. If you're trying to take the high ground by arguing from a point of authority then you have to do better. I'm not going to listen to this when there's more than one approach. 😂

Noth

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Nice back peddling. Let's blame your inability to provide sources on my mind being made up. I gotcha.

Regardless it doesn't matter what sources you supply. The point is a few sources don't speak for every tradition in existence. They only speak for the tradition they belong to. And that's what I mean by gatekeeping.

Some people like having to follow orders and having to answer to others. I do not.

It sure seems like you're implying something here. If you're trying to take the high ground by arguing from a point of authority then you have to do better. I'm not going to listen to this when there's more than one approach. 😂
You literally told us you have already made up your mind, there is no point in providing you a source, especially as OP has provided many manuscripts you could use as a starting source.

I was not implying anything. My practice took off once I aligned myself with the way things work in the spirit world.

But if you'd like my appraisal:

You are too immature to be practicing magic. You are easily moved by your emotions, and that is likely why the gates are closed you. You whine that reality isn't working the way you want it to, but refuse to accept that you would be better served with correct knowledge.

I will not be replying to you any further, you have nothing relevant to say. You may reply to me all you wish, but this is the last time I will interact with you.