• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Questions on occult oils

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Hey guys, I just started getting into essential oils for work related stuff. It just occurred to me that there is a range of oils that are also used for occult ceremony.

Other than the usual's like sandalwood, frankincense, dragons blood. I would definitely want to know what other oils are used in our practice.

Mart

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I'm interested in the natural materials as well.. It's my understanding you can use any oil of any herb that has occult properties, as it's an extract of it's essence, though I don't know that many specific herbs and their occult properties. One of the things I'm really looking forward to is someone posting a neat compilation of herbs and their esoteric properties to the forum. 🤞
I only know a couple of the most commonly used oils like Annointing and Van Van.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
I personally find lavender very useful, particularly for anything with emotions/healing/purification involved.

Angelica is also VERY useful for exorcism/forceful banishing, honestly one of the biggest nukes I've ever seen.

Vanilla is a good all-purpose amplifier when it comes to spellwork.

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I personally find lavender very useful, particularly for anything with emotions/healing/purification involved.

Angelica is also VERY useful for exorcism/forceful banishing, honestly one of the biggest nukes I've ever seen.

Vanilla is a good all-purpose amplifier when it comes to spellwork.
This is more of what im trying to learn too haha. I just ordered a bunch of bulk essential oils for my soap factorty so its a bunch patchouli, lavender, citronella, sandalwood, cedarwood, bergamot and the like. Also got some dragons blood resin that im still trying to study how to convert into a liquid solution.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
This is more of what im trying to learn too haha. I just ordered a bunch of bulk essential oils for my soap factorty so its a bunch patchouli, lavender, citronella, sandalwood, cedarwood, bergamot and the like. Also got some dragons blood resin that im still trying to study how to convert into a liquid solution.
I personally have more experience with using herbs in their “dry” forms, except maybe lavender because it doesn’t grow here too well. But considering true oils and extracts are just a shit ton of the herb itself squeezed for that good ol’ juice, not too much difference there.

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I personally have more experience with using herbs in their “dry” forms, except maybe lavender because it doesn’t grow here too well. But considering true oils and extracts are just a shit ton of the herb itself squeezed for that good ol’ juice, not too much difference there.
Thanks! I slowly working my way through the oils and sone resins. Got some dragons blood today and will see how that goes.

Lavender just smells great! I tried meditating witj some sandalwood oils in a humidifier last night and fell asleep haha

Mart

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Thanks! I slowly working my way through the oils and sone resins. Got some dragons blood today and will see how that goes.

Lavender just smells great! I tried meditating witj some sandalwood oils in a humidifier last night and fell asleep haha
Which "dragon's blood"? Because there's a commonly used resin which is not the true "medieval dragon's blood", you want Dracaena Cinnabari.
Check this out..

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
To be quite honest, I think the best thing to do with choosing herbs sometimes is just finding which ones speak to you personally. Not only will a working or other application go easier if you enjoy the smell/feel of what you're using, one's own intuition can hint at things about specific herbs and what you need more than books can convey.

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Which "dragon's blood"? Because there's a commonly used resin which is not the true "medieval dragon's blood", you want Dracaena Cinnabari.
Check this out..
i wish i could answer this to be honest as I am completely unfamiliar with resins and just getting my feet wet with oils. Ill keep this in mind when I procure later samples of the resin.

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
To be quite honest, I think the best thing to do with choosing herbs sometimes is just finding which ones speak to you personally. Not only will a working or other application go easier if you enjoy the smell/feel of what you're using, one's own intuition can hint at things about specific herbs and what you need more than books can convey.
hmmmm, I do get this funky draw to sandalwood to be honest, I'm just waiting for the other oils to come in. this is at the moment what I have stocked in my warehouse and I'm working with each one till get a eureka moment haha.

cedarwood
sandalwood
lavender
moringa
citronella
patchouli
eucalyptus
lemongrass
basil
bergamot
ginger
frankinsense
ylang ylang
rose
tea tree
peppermint

Alfher

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Every single essential oil has metaphysical properties, as every single plant has metaphysical properties.

The trick is learning how to use them, and learning how to make formulas and consecrate them properly.

I almost never use individual oils like Lavender or Peppermint for magical purposes, though I will use them for medical purposes (lavender rubbed into the temples helps some types of headaches, etc). The magical oils I use are formulas of several oils mixed together in a carrier and consecrated ritually after being mixed.

Uncrossing Oil, Protection Oil, Good Health Oil, Success & Prosperity Oil, Anointing Oil / Abramelin Oil, and so on.

Sometimes I make my own, but mostly I buy from a local magic shop because they make some good stuff, I like supporting local businesses when I can, and...of course, convenience. :)

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Every single essential oil has metaphysical properties, as every single plant has metaphysical properties.

The trick is learning how to use them, and learning how to make formulas and consecrate them properly.

I almost never use individual oils like Lavender or Peppermint for magical purposes, though I will use them for medical purposes (lavender rubbed into the temples helps some types of headaches, etc). The magical oils I use are formulas of several oils mixed together in a carrier and consecrated ritually after being mixed.

Uncrossing Oil, Protection Oil, Good Health Oil, Success & Prosperity Oil, Anointing Oil / Abramelin Oil, and so on.

Sometimes I make my own, but mostly I buy from a local magic shop because they make some good stuff, I like supporting local businesses when I can, and...of course, convenience. :)
this is more the stuff I wanna learn actually. Is there a reference guide i can look up even on the carrier oils that can be used? I got a bunch incoming.

So far the essential oils are selling like hotcakes on the business end of things. But I want to learn more about said formulations as its close to my heart as a product formulator haha. Itll be more on things like protection oils I can prepare, consecrate or even offer to my patron entities on the personal side of things rather than the business end of things. Im jsut happy that I got access to drums of the stuff now (Thanks to my patron spirits that guided me to this industry).

Alfher

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I'm afraid I'm not aware of any good reference guide off the top of my head. You might check references on massage oils, since the carrier oils used for that are similar. Oil is oil, even if the applications are different. :)

The primary carrier oil I use is always Jojoba, both for my magical oils and for the massage oils I make. It's a good rather neutral carrier in my experience and relatively easy to acquire.

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I'm afraid I'm not aware of any good reference guide off the top of my head. You might check references on massage oils, since the carrier oils used for that are similar. Oil is oil, even if the applications are different. :)

The primary carrier oil I use is always Jojoba, both for my magical oils and for the massage oils I make. It's a good rather neutral carrier in my experience and relatively easy to acquire.
Not a problem brother :) . I got some reference guides that im working through. It is a bit tedious however as I need to prepare each formulation than do a evocation ceremony/ consecration ceremony. Then I gotta wait about a week to check for any observable effects it has in my life. No one said practicing the occult wasnt tedious work 😅. Then again i shouldnt really be looking for shortcuts haha.:ROFLMAO:

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
Y'all definitely getting fancy up in here. I so rarely bother using oils for workings, I just pick from like three. Idk if they're even all real, all I know is somehow I've managed to make shit work.

QueenJazz

Archivist
Archivist
Reaction score
Awards
Hey guys, I just started getting into essential oils for work related stuff. It just occurred to me that there is a range of oils that are also used for occult ceremony.

Other than the usual's like sandalwood, frankincense, dragons blood. I would definitely want to know what other oils are used in our practice.
I’ve been making my own hoodoo oils for five years now so I would say most of the essential oils have spiritual properties and can definitely be used for various things.

I haven’t worked with all essential oils tbh but that’s because I only work with the ones available in my country. But if you have questions about a specific oil let me know I might be able to help.

QueenJazz

Archivist
Archivist
Reaction score
Awards
I'm interested in the natural materials as well.. It's my understanding you can use any oil of any herb that has occult properties, as it's an extract of it's essence, though I don't know that many specific herbs and their occult properties. One of the things I'm really looking forward to is someone posting a neat compilation of herbs and their esoteric properties to the forum. 🤞
I only know a couple of the most commonly used oils like Annointing and Van Van.
I can make a post about the herbs and their properties but keep in mind I don’t have my book of shadows rn because I’m traveling and won’t be back home for a couple of months but I can definitely write a lot about it just from memory since I’ve been working with herbs for so many years and then when I go back home I could do part two

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I can make a post about the herbs and their properties but keep in mind I don’t have my book of shadows rn because I’m traveling and won’t be back home for a couple of months but I can definitely write a lot about it just from memory since I’ve been working with herbs for so many years and then when I go back home I could do part two
As discussed privately, I'm super looking forward to this!
:geek:

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
This sounds great! If you wanna add to the stuff I currently have written on growing herbs and working with them in their live forms, I'd love that.

ryen

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
If you're looking for some references, Scott Cunningham's "The Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews" has a ton of recipes. Anna Riva's "Golden Secrets of Mystic Oils" is a decent reference too. That one doesn't have many recipes if any at all, but it describes different oils and blends and their uses. One of my favorites though is Malcolm Mills' "Potion Book Oils". It has a ton of recipes that can help you understand the components, and through research each one you can slowly learn the properties. I don't know of any essential oil reference books per say, but I'm a google search will lead to many results.

You can start by trying to think of the oils you'll need for the kind of work you're currently doing. Then over time, visiting local shops and/or ordering online, you can start building a small collection of commonly used essential oils and ones you'll need directly for your practices. With a carrier like jojoba or grape seed (the oil I mainly use) you can then start creating your own blends and experimenting with scent, effect, etc. The world of essential oils is vast, but by diving into it you'll also learn about the plants behind the oils.