• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Shamanism shamanic travelling connecting with The earth

Everyone's got one.

Jk666

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
What do you think about the subject?

i just started a course about shamanism on Udemy & feel it holds a lot of promise.

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards

i just started a course about shamanism on Udemy & feel it holds a lot of promise.

I am a Neo-Shaman (just means I am not lineaged or indigenous and claim no direct line to any elders. It's a reconstructionist system of Shamanism) so I am 100% in agreement with using Shamanism to travel various realms (is that your question?). It's called Shamanic Journeying and we use it to traverse the Upper, Middle and Lower Worlds to assist in healing, soul retrieval, power/totem animal work, shadow work, angel work, elemental work, etc.

Reaction score
Awards
Who are good resources to read up on? I have come across Phil Hine's trilogy, which seem quite interesting, I had yet to start on them.
Like sources before the 1990s on soul travel and soul retrieval?

Reaction score
Awards

Shamanism and shamanic traveling I can't speak on. I know zilch on it, despite reading a few books back in the 90s for an anthropology of religion class.
Connecting with the earth, do what Im doing, sit outside against trees, greet them before sitting and thank them afterwards, go find collect and inquire about stones. Get into herbs like bulk herbs from coops, and make your own oils and incense.
Take basic science courses on chemistry, biochemistry, biology, botany, geology, zoology, anthropology, earth science, geography.
Go on extensive field trips and get good equipment to take with you like testing kits, microscope, sound recorder, hertz counter and other tools, metal detector, camcorder/digital camera, night goggles, mining tools. Reflective tent, light ballasts, soil, water, miracle for and seeds.
Get earth type statues in your dwelling like a garden gnome for example. Leave out cookies for them in case they drop by, shortbread/sandwich cookies are best.
Get a basic chemistry lab kit and botany and bilogy lab kits, and do basic experiments. Think of impacts on light and color associated with a given topic.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
So far the only look into modern shamanism I've taken is through books by Jan Fries. Visual Magick is worth a read, in my opinion. I'm partly through his book, Cauldron of the Gods - A Manual of Celtic Magick. I have yet to start Seidways (subtitled 'shaking, swaying serpent mysteries'). All three of these are in the forum library.

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Who are good resources to read up on? I have come across Phil Hine's trilogy, which seem quite interesting, I had yet to start on them.
Like sources before the 1990s on soul travel and soul retrieval?

For Shamanism? Hunter, Oracle, Shaman, Priest is a good one, so is Way of the Shaman and Shamanic Qabala. Also Psychedelic Shamanism is good.

Reaction score
Awards

You know, another thing besides books and basic nature centering, is to get a table of correspondences such as 777. Make your geomancy stones and perhaps IChing coins. Get the twelve birthstones, and meditate on each throughout the year, or intersecting dates (transit and birth chart synastry will aid you here), and get to know their corresponding herbs as well, perhaps as incense or ingestion for the meditation, some plants can alter the state of consciousness without being a scheduled drug. Blades of different grasses or wheat for example, will introduce micro elements to your system creating a low altered state of consciousness.
Master all areas of life in pertaining to Earth. Venerate ancestors as they too lived on earth.
Get involved in animal husbandry clubs like 4H four example, perhaps as an instructor to children.
Learn from older people about the earth. Read the Firefox Appilachain series.

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
The only shamans I know traveling connected with the earth (in and on it) are Aboriginals. Then again you are obviously more interested in books. Okay for me.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
The only shamans I know traveling connected with the earth (in and on it) are Aboriginals
As I was taking one of my regular six mile walks this morning in the early heat of the day, it occurred to me how like alchemy this walking thing can be, what with the internal heat of metabolism and external heat from the world, and me allowing the thoughts to bubble up and simmer into my conscious mind. I leave the phone at home, so there's no distractions, nothing to contaminate the process. Bit by bit and month after month, this regular movement has a cleansing effect on mind and body, the athanor of my being.

And now, reading your comment, I realize that the Walkabout could be considered an act of alchemy as well.

Perhaps I just love to play with words. Haven't you heard? :whistle:

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Perhaps I just love to play with words. Haven't you heard? :whistle:
Sure, you are a dreamer. Just like myself. Like the Aboriginals. They do not call their spiritual world The Eternal Dreamtime for nothing.
Then again, dreaming is easy. Waking up is the hard part. Open your eyes. And then, which is a speciality of dreamers, open them again.

I showed my wife how to make gold. Like alchemists did. My father showed me how to make the tincture. All without books. Then again, I started to read books when I was five. And I never stopped.