• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] Sigil Magick Questions

Someone's asking for help!

kidbuu

Neophyte
Reaction score
I’ve been reading a book on the basics of sigil magick by Anousen Leonte and I have a few questions on Sigils.

1. “Strong magick is slow magick, and swift magick is comparatively weaker.” Is this true and if so how can I make the sigil last just a bit longer?

2. I know it’s recommended for beginners to try first with the first sigil paper method before they jump into other methods and techniques but I also wanted to try to do the color correlation and astrological planetary alignment things. So would it be wise to do that first?

3.Can someone give me some more tips on passively charging a sigil?

I know I’m suppose to branch out my resouces on sigil magick and I found out this book added that using Will as a definitive statement would be good for your sentence of desire. But from some videos I watched using Will would not be in the present tense. And this other sigil book I read by Frater U D did not mention anything about removing the vowels. I know there are different methods but for now I just want to start with the letter method first. Is there by any chance something else I a missing?

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Peter J. Carroll does not mention omitting the vowels either, and he was the one who introduced a wider audience to sigil magic in the first place. Besides, omitting the vowels would mean losing such versatile shapes like "O", so I'd just leave them in. Incidentally, you could also use astrological planetary symbols as part of your sentence of desire, similarly to a line of code that has other symbols in it apart from letters. I wouldn't use more than one colour in a sigil, just makes it too confusing. In general, mixing up the letter shapes serves the purpose of making your sentence of desire abstract - I'd often go from a complex shape where all the letters are still discernible to a simpler one, like a corporate logo, where the overall aesthetic effect is paramound. In other words, it should look pleasing to YOU the letters are just the initial inspiration for your design. All in all, it's a very intuitive and creative process with hardly any hard and fast rules.

It's been a while since I used sigil magic but now I'd say that drawing up a sigil is part of the overall magical process. You're not just idly doodling on a piece of paper, you're doing something out of the ordinary and encoding your magical intent. Maybe you'd like to do the LBRP or meditate before you craft your sigil and then go in a sort of trance or dream state, with the firm intent of doing something magical.

How to formulate your sentence of desire is a knotty question where most people differ. Personally, I'd not use the classic formula of "It is my will that..." anymore but still keep the sentence of desire in the future tense; it's not the kind of method where you claim that your result has already manifested. You're directly and unashamedly influencing something or imposing your will on someone, so pretending the result has already come to pass just doesn't make sense to me. In general, I found that sigils work best when the operation is about isolated events or specific one-time changes as opposed to long-term conditions or processes.

I've only ever used excitatory methods for charging sigils but have recently discovered the usefulness of trance. In the Eighties and Nineties, it was pretty much "fire & forget", and people would frantically tie themselves in neurotic knots to forget their sentences of desire and thus avoid the dreaded lust for result. Now I'd use a more passive method - I start with some method or formula (LBRP, "And so it begins", "I now begin my holy ritual", etc.) and use another one at the end to delineate the ritual from everyday life. I'd then gaze at the sigil, losing myself in it instead of rigidly concentrating, admiring it, allowing it to change shape or even coming alive (happens a lot to me with Enochian sigils), letting happen whatever happens. It's also useful to turn your sentence of desire into some kind of mantra using the letters that went into your sigil - another reason for keeping the vowels in as a mantra composed exclusively of consonants would be difficult to recite. The purpose of this mantra is to keep your mind from wandering or fantasizing about the end result while gazing at your sigil. The aim is to immerse yourself totally in it but it's ok when you feel your attention temporarily slipping or become bored - simply return to the sigil.

When you feel that you have invested enough of your magical intent into the sigil (which may the after five minutes or after half an hour), close your ritual, for example by "It is done", "So mote it be" or whatever, and go about your day as usual. The topic of what to do with your sigil afterwards is also hotly debated. I used to burn mine immediately afterwards passionately reciting a suitably emphatic formula but I feel that would be hardly appropriate after using an inhibitory method - I'd just quietly bury it in my wastepaper basket if I were you.

About that darn lust for results: Many authors advise a more casual attitude nowaddays. They say you CAN think about your result provided you do so in the past tense, like it hsd alreay happened. For me, the beauty of result-oriented rituals is that afterwards I feel like a weight has been taken of my shoulders. I'd think, "It's in the works, it's already being taken care of" instead of worrying about a problem anymore - makes forgetting it way easier.

It's YOU who decides what your ritual should look like; it's you that decides what trance or 'total immersion' means. Remember, the sigil method originated from chaos magick which has little respect for rules, dogmas and traditions. YOU are the Master of Ceremonies. No dusty old grimoire or guru can tell you what to do. It's free-form magic and that's the beauty of it.

dannerz

Neophyte
Reaction score
"3.Can someone give me some more tips on passively charging a sigil?"

tape it on your breaker box, or above a power outlet in your house,
or also you could put it on a high powered magnet.
You can put it under a candle.
You can put it on a big quartz crystal.
Post automatically merged:

Almost forgot to say : you should put sigils in your medicine bag if you have one.
OR just a little bag of herbs. There is a subtle energy that permeates objects and items.
A complex sigil will do work constantly, though the amount of energy is small.
But if you make a lot of sigils and batteries, the combined force can become
more substantial. Sigils don't depend on your body for strength.
They develop their own strength with time and proper item combinations.

RoccoR

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
RE: Sigil Magick Questions
※→ kidbuu,

Before those questions can be answered fully, you have to know your objective. It has been my experience that the purpose of the SIGIL is often confused with that of a "Taliman" or an "Amulet."

kidbuu said:
1. “Strong magick is slow magick, and swift magick is comparatively weaker.” Is this true and if so how can I make the sigil last just a bit longer?

This is rather a simplistic view. A "SIGIL" (seal) does not call forth to the powers. A "SIGIL" gains its biggest injection of power from the creator of that seal. This is called "inherent transference." Most of the time, a Sigil is passive in nature until you invoke some specific incantation (spell) or indulge specific "words of power." The SIGIL, in most cases, is a focal point in which the practitioner (user) achieves the desired wish or want that is incorporated in the construction of the physical SIGIL itself.​
I use two SIGILs on my computer on a daily basis. Somewhere, sometime during the day. I usually incorporate it in the space immediately above the closing in a discussion group. The one on the left is a protection SIGIL against the Covid 19 Virus (PRTCNGSVDF). The one on the right is an incantation of sorts that says: "no evil or virus may enter this network NVLRSMYTHWK". These focal points are energized by me on a daily basis at least once. This particular discussion group does not afford me the "drag 'n' drop" feature. So it is stripped-off when I send it. But it was there when I wrote every single contribution/commentary. If you have a screen saver that rotates through .jpg pictures, then it can be incorporated into the rotation.

kidbuu said:
So would it be wise to do that first?
YES. If you do it the other way around, you are guaranteed to have problems getting the design correct.

kidbuu said:
passively charging a sigil?

See above.

But as I have said in the opening,

An AMULET (meaning - means of defense) is a device having been inscribed with PASSIVE "protective power against something." Usually, an AMULET is constructed from either iron, gold, silver, or copper. An AMULET is like a fence, a filter, or a wall.

A TALISMAN is a device that connects its owner to certain powers. These are ACTIVE powers that reach out and strike an aggressor. A TALISMAN is much more difficult to design and construct. And a TALISMAN must be consecrated in a ritual. TALISMAN
imbued with power obtained from a supernatural entity and not the practitioner. Think of a TALISMAN as a weapon fired from a wall at some attacking evil.

1611604183365-png.448413

Most Respectfully,
R

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I concur with RoccoR. When you want something to happen, sigil magic is your friend. If you want that it stays happened, I'd look to talismanic magic or working with entities.

Regarding to formulating your sentence of desire - Jason Miller has written a great book about it (love the cartoons!):

kidbuu

Neophyte
Reaction score
For HoldAll: My lust for desire always got to me, it always inhibited me. I’ll take your advice on taking a more casual approach and thinking it already worked when I finish the ritual, and also Im good at distracting myself. So what I understand is:
1. I start off by saying something like “and so it begins”, make my sigil in the future tense, it has to look pleasing to me and it’s up to me how I do the whole sigil process, I know you state that sigils work best when they are for one time changes instead of long term conditions or processes but the sigil I’m making needs to last possibly a week or two.
2. I should keep the vowels
3. Should I still visualize my desire while making the sigil?
3. Once I’m done visualizing it I stop thinking about it and justI lose myself in the sigil, admiring it, instead of rigorously focusing on it
4. I understand there are many ways to charge a sigil and I heard it has to be in a state of trance/state of heightened emotion. Like meditating on it or putting yourself through pain, intense fear, etc. But I’d like a little more insight on that if you may.
5. Once I’m done, I say a phrase like “It is done” and just forget about but not burn the sigil and just keep it somewhere else.
But as you said, it’s up to me so for now I’ll take advice from you, the books I’ve read, the videos I watched and I’ll just wing it. And HoldAll, I didn’t know it was up to me how I would do it so now I feel more motivated with less worry of trying to get it right, no dusty guru or book can limit my imagination and creativity.
Also sorry, two more things. You know any good books on chaos magick? How long did take you to know all this anyway?

For Dannerz: I’ll look into those item combination ideas yo, thanks man. I’ll reply to you again if I have any more questions on that bro.

For RoccoR: My objective is just making a sigil that has to work long enough until I get what I need. In fact I tried to make a talisman from a book called “ How to Summon and Command Spirits, Angels, Demons, Afarit Djinns.
(The Condemned Book of Sahiriin)” but I failed miserably because one of the final steps was to burn it and I used a plastic container which also burned through and i quickly put it out before it burned the shed I was in. Besides all that, I have limited time for the sigil to be of use. Possibly a week and a half left before my chance at a new opportunity fades. So it’s not something I need permanently for the rest of my life. The sigil isn’t for protection or a weapon, it’s just a temporary thing to increase my chances of succeeding and getting what I need to further my career. The only thing it might truly due is possibly influence someone’s patience and open up a window for me to get things done quicker but even then im still unsure.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
For HoldAll: My lust for desire always got to me, it always inhibited me. I’ll take your advice on taking a more casual approach and thinking it already worked when I finish the ritual, and also Im good at distracting myself. So what I understand is:
1. I start off by saying something like “and so it begins”, make my sigil in the future tense, it has to look pleasing to me and it’s up to me how I do the whole sigil process, I know you state that sigils work best when they are for one time changes instead of long term conditions or processes but the sigil I’m making needs to last possibly a week or two.
3. Once I’m done visualizing it I stop thinking about it and justI lose myself in the sigil, admiring it, instead of rigorously focusing on it
4. I understand there are many ways to charge a sigil and I heard it has to be in a state of trance/state of heightened emotion. Like meditating on it or putting yourself through pain, intense fear, etc. But I’d like a little more insight on that if you may.
5. Once I’m done, I say a phrase like “It is done” and just forget about but not burn the sigil and just keep it somewhere else.
But as you said, it’s up to me so for now I’ll take advice from you, the books I’ve read, the videos I watched and I’ll just wing it. And HoldAll, I didn’t know it was up to me how I would do it so now I feel more motivated with less worry of trying to get it right, no dusty guru or book can limit my imagination and creativity.
Also sorry, two more things. You know any good books on chaos magick? How long did take you to know all this anyway?
What it really comes down to is what I'd like to call "creative reality engineering". So for example, if you're looking for a favourable decision by some authority or court, sigil magic might work; it may have long-term consequences for your life but hinges on a single one-time decision. If, on the other hand, you decide to become healthier and lose weight, sigil magic might not be so suitable because there will be constant temptation in the form of junkfood, lack of motivation to go to there gym or just general backsliding. Then again, you could try to use sigil magic to cut out chocolate, for example, using sigil magic to make that stuff suddenly unappealing or even disgusting to you. Some authors like Peter J. Carroll also say that the more improbable the result is, the more psychic energy you have to expend in order to make it occur. Some situations or developments just have so much momentum behind it that it is almost impossible to stem the tide. I don't fully subscribe to that 'brute force' approach anymore, I'd rather try to break down the whole process into several stages, going from the general to the specific, working on the framework conditions first and then narrow my focus on the particular problem in question. More skill than muscle, so to speak

Like I said, it's a creative process so I think one should spend enough time to carefully craft one's sentence of desire to ensure you will get precisely what you wand. You don't have to visualise your desire as such, just cooly analyse the overall situation before pouring the wished-for outcome into a single sentence. Then comes the fun part where you play around with the letters, trying this shape or that, maybe adding a couple of squiggles (for example, I would put an exclamation mark in front of the sigil to denote urgency), turn some letters upside down, merge some others into one, etc. You won't have much free mental capacities in order to visualise your desire during that time anyway due to that creative concentration so I'd recommend going into some natural dream state, like a child playing with its favorite toy and forgetting everything around it.

I'd separate sigilisation from the charging process unless it's really urgent. Just put the sigil away for a couple of days - you won't forget your desire, of course but maybe the exact wording of your sentence of desire. In this way, you will be able to start off fresh instead of still thinking about the desired outcome somewhere.

Chaos magic burst on the occult scene in the Seventies and Eighties very much like punk rock. It was wild and unruly and knocked over the staid complacency of traditional ceremonial magic. Accordingly, the recommended charging methods were pretty wild to, from flagellation, auto-asphyxiation and drugs to physical exhaustion and masturbation - it was all about raw energy, not so much about skill. Adepts were encouraged to go into some altered state of mind ('gnosis'), charge their sigil 'spasmodically', e.g. at the point of orgasm, and then banish everything, typically with laughter, to help them forget the whole operation and their desire. These days, I'd rather use a more gentle method with a formal ritual opening (e.g. by performing the LBRP) and closing, aiming at creating an out-of-the-ordingary, trance-like atmosphere and then trying to 'inhale' my sigil, imprinting it on my brain, so to speak.

I'm more into angel magic now. Like I said, I've had mixed results with sigil magic but as they say, you learn more from your failures than from your sucesses - troubleshooting will teach you a lot. One thing I remember was the phenomenon of 'scattering' from my unsuccessful operations, i.e. unwanted side effects that were sometimes hilarious and sometimes unpleasant. I was still trying to work out how to avoid them when I gradually began to slip out of the whole occult paradigm because of discovering other real-life interests, only recently re-entering it again.

Mind you, in the last couple of decades there has been a backlash against chaos magick because some chaotes had take their antics too far, for example evoking Lovecraftian monsters for fun, or invoking Scrooge McDuck for increased wealth to no avail when good old Jupiter or some spirit would have easily done the trick. But sigil magic still stands as a valid method, in my mind. I'd still use it for pressing, more specific issues or for emergencies.

I'simply experiment if I were you. Eventually, you'll hit on a charging method and/or ritual framework that you feel comfortable with and that works for you. I used to love the high drama of magic, the mystery, also the danger, but I've changed over the years. Chaos magic is DIY, eclecticism. Nowadays, some authors (esp. the Gallery of Magic) take a more enlightend stance and say, "It's fine to experiment, just don't overdo it" and urge readers to not throw the rulebook away altogether.

As for books, there are enough of them in Book Shares, just use the search function. Some are mainly wild speculation without practial value, you can just feel the authors revelling in their new-found freedom from tradition. Personally, I'll always carry a torch for Peter J. Carroll because he was the one who really got me into practical magic back in the day. The chapter on sigil magic in Liber Liber Null & Psychonaut is quite short so I'd rather recommend reading Frater U.D.'s book first. He is an erstwhile collaborator of Carroll's and knows what he is talking about.

Book – PDF - Practical Sigil Magic: Creating Personal Symbols for Success Frater U∴D∴

Book – PDF - Liber Null and Psychonaut by Peter J. Carroll 2022 Edition

More accessible than Liber Null & Psychonaut and less dogmatic, if there is such a thing in chaos magick:

Book – PDF - Liber Kaos: Chaos Magic for the Pandaemonaeon - Peter J. Carroll (2023, Revised & Expanded Ed.)

RoccoR

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
※→ kidbuu,

I apologize for the late reply.

My responses will not include either "
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
" or "Angelic Sigil" or the application of the "Celestrial Alphabet."
EXAMPLE:

(REPLY)

A vast majority of SIGILs are not time or periodic-sensitive. Incantations and enchantments are the more readily adaptable to time-sensitive conjuring.

(REPLY)

It is pretty standard in the creation of SIGILs to drop repetitive letters and all vowels. At the top of the SIGILs in the closing is a string of letters that comprise the SIGILs. This standard applies as well to the fancy artistic SIGILs that are popular these days.
EXAMPLE:

(REPLY)

Nearly all forms of magic enchantments, spells, and SIGILs (etc) involve a mental image of the script or symbol and their meaning.

(REPLY)

This is something that is unique to the conjuring practitioner. But, admiration should be done only after the ritual for the SIGIL is closed.

(REPLY)

SIGILs are generally defensive. And pure defensive SIGILs generally derive from whatever supernatural source is the patron.

(REPLY)

The power of a SIGIL is a gift from the patron (the source of the magic you are calling upon). The time-honored closure you have probably hears thousands of times: "AMEN" Although since the mid-20th Century, the common closures "We Thank Thee Oh Spirit of the Earth (Air, Fire, Water)" --OR-- "In the name of the source - Let is Be So". "Let is be so" and "Amen" are the same thing.

For RoccoR: My objective is just making a sigil that has to work long enough until I get what I need. In fact I tried to make a talisman from a book called “ How to Summon and Command Spirits, Angels, Demons, Afarit Djinns.
(COMMENT)

Remember, a SIGIL is (most generally) a symbol that is linked to concepts other than the darker or forbidden magic.

(∑ Ω)

If you have not been creating SIGILs for very long, it might be to your advantage to break up your incantation into pieces, making a SIGIL for each component of your objective request. You may have seen this before. They look like several circles arranged in a geometric pattern and with a SIGIL inside.

1611604183365-png.448413

Most Respectfully,
R

kidbuu

Neophyte
Reaction score
Damn it I had a whole page worth for my response for the answers you gave to me for just a little more insight so I can be able to simplify it more but it got deleted so all now I have to say is thank you. The insight was really helpful, especially since you guys had different views and methods on it.

RoccoR

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
※→ kidbuu,

This might help...

stock-vector-sigil-to-have-a-patience-a-stylized-image-of-a-magic-symbol-can-be-used-in-graphic-design-or-1630933576.jpg

I did not make this
, but there is nothing wrong with it. Before you put it in your Notebook, practice it.

Remember that the Power of the SIGIL (again) comes from the Patron (the Source you are a using). It is the oration that calls for assistance. Your SIGIL may have a mistake in it, but the powers of the universe will understand your request based on your belief in the oration.

While every good practitioner (early in their travels in conjuring) starts out with their notebook → which later becomes the basis for your personal Grimoire. Either on the cover or the first page, are a collection of protection SIGILs to maintain the purity of your notes. Each time you open the notebook, placing your hand on the book → you ask for the Power of the Patron to energize the SIGILs. You write this request (some prefer the phrase "Call Forth') for assistance from the Patron (or some practitioners use the Supreme Being as the initial patron) right under a guiding principle. Below is a variation of the First Oration of King Solomon, as an example. Or just use it.

I humbly implore you to - mercifully
Illustrate my Mind with a transfer of knowledge from thy Spirit,
That I may come to attain that which I beg from you as a special gift,​

The power of the SIGIL is based on the relationship between you and your patron.

1611604183365-png.448413

Most Respectfully,
R