• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Official] SkullTraill's Recommended Occult Reading and Reference

An official request, or post by staff acting with authority.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Now that our library is starting to get pretty fleshed out, I've decided to make a comprehensive list of what I consider to be essential occult reading in various categories.

Please note: this thread is a work in progress, and will be for the forseeable future. I want it to only include books we have shared on WF, so needs some more uploads. Most of which I do have somewhere in my collection, just need to find the time to collect, organize and publish. Also, I'm not including books I have not read in some capacity.

If you would like to request a book to be added here: you may do so in this thread, however, keep in mind the following - if it is not already in the book shares section, and I deem it fit to be on the list, I will treat it as a request and find the book and upload it. However, if it is not deemed to be worthy of this thread, I will ignore it, and you will have to make a request in the book requests section to ever see it shared. In short, do not treat this thread as a generic book request thread. Also, it may take a while if I have not read the book.

Introductory​

Reference​

Grimoires​

Ceremonial​

Witchcraft​

Chaos​

Need to add:

Reaction score
Awards
Thank you, I will start working through them and write reviews.
Regardie, LaVey, and Barrett were my earliest resources before my Wicca days. Then there was Buckland, Cabot, Cunningham, Starhawk, Adler and others.

I think Barrett, Levi, and Agrippa should be pillar reading for any student including myself, even though I find philosophy long-winded.

Last edited:

frsfmcs

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
A bardon companion by Rawn Clark or his YouTube videos are advised with the Bardon system.

When it comes to Hoodoo I would recommend Starr Casas books and Catherine Yronwode books. The best ones I found yet.

Some of John Michael Greer books are great as well like Learning Ritual Magic and Circles of Power.

Then there would be the Denning and Phillips Magical Philosophy series. Wonderful read.

Aryeh Kaplan books are good too, so you understand the background of Kabbala. Plus, Dr. Justin Sledge intro series to Kabbalah.

That's all that comes to my mind right now.

Reaction score
Awards
Now that our library is starting to get pretty fleshed out, I've decided to make a comprehensive list of what I consider to be essential occult reading in various categories.

Please note: this thread is a work in progress, and will be for the forseeable future. I want it to only include books we have shared on WF, so needs some more uploads. Most of which I do have somewhere in my collection, just need to find the time to collect, organize and publish. Also, I'm not including books I have not read in some capacity.

If you would like to request a book to be added here: you may do so in this thread, however, keep in mind the following - if it is not already in the book shares section, and I deem it fit to be on the list, I will treat it as a request and find the book and upload it. However, if it is not deemed to be worthy of this thread, I will ignore it, and you will have to make a request in the book requests section to ever see it shared. In short, do not treat this thread as a generic book request thread. Also, it may take a while if I have not read the book.

Introductory​

Reference​

Grimoires​

Ceremonial​

Witchcraft​

Chaos​

Need to add:
What are we talking about in terms of time for work throughs on some of these, particularly systems that take years on their own?
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:

frsfmcs

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Josephine McCarthy system takes like 5-7 years.
For the Picatrix it seems that the baseline is for you to have finished the HGA before starting anything( I think Dan Attrell mentioned it) . Most grimoires, being written in older times require you to have a good concentration, and be quite good at praying. Which few people are today. From what researchers are discovering, many of those grimoires were the works of catholic priests. So they expected you to have the basics that priests back then had.
From what I know GD takes like 3-5 years in good temple environment for 5=6, probably way longer on your own.
Franz Bardon takes like 5-7 years for all steps. Some hardcore people allegedly can finish it in 3 years.

Reaction score
Awards

Introductory​

Reference​

Grimoires​

Ceremonial​

Witchcraft​

Chaos​

Need to add:
Currently working through Thoth Tarot, Book of Spirit Communications, Protection and Reversal Magic, The Golden Dawn, so far off the list.
Might want to Add Agrippa and Barrett and Levi to reference, and include a Hoodoo section?

@SkullTraill and all, what do you think about a Book Club of the Month, where we tackle the reading list in order? Then we write reviews to test our comprehension of the material? Perhaps dont be strict on it being monthly as some need to be brought up to speed like Kuriakos.

Could we start a Book Club, read a recommended book and post a Review/Discussion thread? Or may I? Kuriakos was a fail, and Buckland needs to go back and rewind halfway from where I left it off at. If I finish that and get p[ositive results, then I will pick back up on Kuriakos.
However, in the meantime, I'd like to really go through these on my own pace and fine comb it, re-read parts to either drill something into memory or to ponder it. For discussion/review.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awards
I've said the same about hoodoo, which I've seen listed as sorcery on another site.
Perhaps stick to the folders layout like the original book shares for benefactors, or label them in that sort of way?

Perhaps a Baneful Magic section.

Could we also add some Crowley to the mix? It seems to me what I've been missing the most is memorized correspondences in my practice. I think at the least Liber O and 777 should be included under Ceremonial Magic.
Perhaps also indigenous beliefs, will try to upload a few PDFs I found on that.

@Diluculo_DelFuego ... This

Last edited:

Emperor Time

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
I am not high ranking enough to know if this book is in your library or not since I am not a Custodian, Librarian, Adeptus, Archivist or Benefactor and thus don't know the full library but I feel that the "Encyclopedia of 5,000 Spells by Judika Illes" should be added to the reference section because that book has personally given me a great understanding of spells because of it selection and variety and can help anyone that needs help in creating a spell of their own since that book is a good guideline when it comes to that.

Rowena

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I'd suggest adding Phil Hine's Condensed Chaos & Prime Chaos to the Chaos Magick section, his works are much more accessible than Carroll.