• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] Tarot help

Someone's asking for help!

Challis

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Hello beautiful souls.

I was given a tarot deck for christmas(!)

I have never tried tarot or divinity but I am looking forward to learning about it. I'm reaching out because I am having difficulty wrapping my head around using them for divination.
I grew up around cards, and have always had an interest in maths/probability. As such, I cannot get past these terrestrial ideas/mental barriers in order to see tarot truly as a divine practice. I am absolutely not slating it. I have a lot of respect magical practitioners far and wide!
I am just openly accepting my own ignorance and asking for any explanations, advice, tips, or just general friendly chit-chat around the subject.

I am motivated as one of my goals is clairvoyance. It was a nice coincidence when this was gifted to me.

If this is a repeat, idm if its removed, just point me in right direction.

Thank you as always WF.

Reaction score
Awards
Hello beautiful souls.
Howdy, welcome to the forum and Happy New Year!

Nice! Always a fun gift.
I have never tried tarot or divinity but I am looking forward to learning about it. I'm reaching out because I am having difficulty wrapping my head around using them for divination.
It honestly depends on the system of magic you use. Is it a standard 78 card deck? Which deck?
I grew up around cards, and have always had an interest in maths/probability. As such, I cannot get past these terrestrial ideas/mental barriers in order to see tarot truly as a divine practice. I am absolutely not slating it. I have a lot of respect magical practitioners far and wide!
Builders of the Adytum is all about Tarot and Qabalah. Look up Paul Foster Case through the site search glass. BOTA spawned off his Golden Dawn and independent work, even healing through tarot, color and sound. Lvx.org and bota.org work on healing on their correspondence letters.
I am just openly accepting my own ignorance and asking for any explanations, advice, tips, or just general friendly chit-chat around the subject.
I would also look at Modern Magick by Kraig where he introduces the Tarot Contemplation Ritual and the split hexagram spread, Understanding the Thoth deck by DuQuette, and last but not least, Tarot Skills for the 21st Century by Josephine McCarthy. We have all of them in the Library Book Shares forum.
I am motivated as one of my goals is clairvoyance. It was a nice coincidence when this was gifted to me.
Working with tarot will open up your intuition and possibly psychic skills. Try shuffling the deck and guess one of the following methods. Persistent practice makes perfect:
Major, Court, or Minor
(Minors only) > 6 or <= 5.
Which Major key is it?
Record your method and results on a journal and practice each daily.

Thank you as always WF.
You're welcome.

A brief summary of the Majors:
0 Elemental Air/Uranus
I Mercury
II Luna
III Venus
IV Aries
V Taurus
VI Gemini
VII Cancer
VIII Leo
IX Virgo
X Jupiter
XI Libra
XII Elemental Water/Neptune
XIII Scorpio
XIV Sagittarius
XV Capricorn
XVI Mars
XVII Aquarius
XVIII Pisces
XIX Sol
XX Elemental Fire/Pluto
XXI Saturn or Elemental Earth

Hope this helps!!

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Don't attempt to understand it. Just assume it does 'work' and ask a question. Shuffle the cards and pick three. Look at them and let thoughts come to mind. You might have to sit there ten minutes. Try to relax and just look. Write down whatever comes to you. If nothing comes to you, that's okay. The images have made an impression upon you, and you'll probably think about them again and again. And then maybe you'll have an idea or intuition, an answer to your question or a direction which you can explore that leads to more understanding.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
It doesn't hurt to watch a few videos on youtube of people doing Tarot spreads and readings because you might find a method that is unique and speaks to you.

Vincent Pitisci has an interesting method called conceptual blending that he developed over 30 years from doing live readings for people. He has a good youtube channel where he teaches people how he reads. He also has a few books that are very good.

It's not based in any one interpretation of Mystical Symbolism or anything. He basically self taught himself from multiple books in the 60's and 70's and found commonalities of meanings for the cards.

Oh and try to stick with one type of Deck if you like it because switching around can cause some confusion.

By that I mean try not to flip back and forth between a Rider Waite, and then Thoth, and then Tarot de Marseille etc

Those are all great decks but the imagery and symbolism is different and would be a bit confusing at first.

Lazarus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
When it comes to Tarot, I can’t recommend the teachings of Paul Foster Case highly enough. However, his teachings focus more on using the Tarot as meditational and alchemical keys rather than a divinatory tool with readings or spreads.

When it comes to reading spreads, I’d say there is a right brained approach and a left brained approach (meaning hemispheres). @KjEno186 provided a great example of the right brained approach. I’d actually recommend that approach first even though it is not what I do.

If you struggle with that method, let me know and I’ll give an example of a more pragmatic approach. You might be more left brained like me.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Oh I also meant to mention the Invocation of HRU to help you Divine the Tarot.

You don't have to do it or anything but it's taught in the Golden Dawn and I believe the OTO/Thelema as well.

You Place your left hand over the deck or hold the cards and then with your right hand in the Sword Mudra or Holding your Wand over the Deck say:

"I invoke Thee, I-A-O(IIIIIIIIIIIIII-AAAAAAAA-OOOOOO), that thou wilt send HRU (HEEEEEEEE-RUUUUUUU), the great Angel that is set over the operations of this secret Wisdom, to lay his hand invisibly on these consecrated cards of art, that thereby we may obtain true knowledge of hidden things to the glory of thine ineffable Name. Amen/Aumgn (AAAAHHHHHHH-MMMEEEENNNN) /(AUUUUUU-MMMM-GGGGNNNNN)"

The Bracketed parts mean to Vibrate those Syllables/Names

Lazarus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
First, I want to thank you for turning me on to Vincent Pitisci. Very interesting (and good) stuff!

But, your statement here is misleading:
Vincent Pitisci has an interesting method called conceptual blending that he developed over 30 years from doing live readings for people. He has a good youtube channel where he teaches people how he reads. He also has a few books that are very good.
Conceptual blending is a theory proposed by two guys back in the 90s that attempts to explain a subconscious process of causal reasoning. In other words, how the brain will draw a correlation from two presumably independent objects and scenarios.

Vincent Pitisci agrees with this theory and takes the stance that is the defining process of using the Tarot (and why it does work) for all people.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
First, I want to thank you for turning me on to Vincent Pitisci. Very interesting (and good) stuff!

But, your statement here is misleading:

Conceptual blending is a theory proposed by two guys back in the 90s that attempts to explain a subconscious process of causal reasoning. In other words, how the brain will draw a correlation from two presumably independent objects and scenarios.

Vincent Pitisci agrees with this theory and takes the stance that is the defining process of using the Tarot (and why it does work) for all people.

Yes you are right.

I should have said that he learned about a theory called conceptual blending and applied it to Tarot reading.

He also is the reason I switched to Pip decks like the Tarot de Marseille and the 1JJ Swiss.

It makes it easier and more fluid for me to not be distracted by the extra imagery in RW style decks or say the Thoth deck.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Oh I also meant to mention the Invocation of HRU to help you Divine the Tarot.

You don't have to do it or anything but it's taught in the Golden Dawn and I believe the OTO/Thelema as well.

You Place your left hand over the deck or hold the cards and then with your right hand in the Sword Mudra or Holding your Wand over the Deck say:

"I invoke Thee, I-A-O(IIIIIIIIIIIIII-AAAAAAAA-OOOOOO), that thou wilt send HRU (HEEEEEEEE-RUUUUUUU), the great Angel that is set over the operations of this secret Wisdom, to lay his hand invisibly on these consecrated cards of art, that thereby we may obtain true knowledge of hidden things to the glory of thine ineffable Name. Amen/Aumgn (AAAAHHHHHHH-MMMEEEENNNN) /(AUUUUUU-MMMM-GGGGNNNNN)"

The Bracketed parts mean to Vibrate those Syllables/Names
This is funny. I know of HRU being connected (in GD) to the cards. Recently I wrote something on the tarot and specially about HRU. In Egyptian HRU means "day" and every day of the month was assigned a god. The first day of the month was called HRU Tehuti or the day of Thoth.
I then linked that with ( / rewrote) a divination spell from the PGM that calls on Har Tehuti to make it into the basis for a tarot spread.

league

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Hello beautiful souls.

Thank you as always WF.
Firstly, congratulations on receiving a tarot deck for Christmas! Tarot can be a fascinating tool for self-exploration and divination. It's completely normal to feel a bit overwhelmed or unsure about how to approach using them for divination, especially if you come from a background of cards and mathematics.

It's important to remember that tarot is not solely a divine practice but also a combination of symbolism, intuition, and personal interpretation. While some may believe in divine guidance when using tarot cards, others view it more as a tool for self-reflection and tapping into subconscious thoughts and emotions.

If you're struggling to see tarot as a divine practice, you can instead embrace it as a psychological tool. Focus on the imagery, symbols, and archetypes depicted in the cards. Tarot can provide insights into your inner thoughts and emotions, and this self-awareness can lead to personal growth and understanding.

To start, familiarize yourself with the meanings of each card. The more you understand the general symbolism and interpretation of the cards, the easier it will be to connect with their messages. Practice pulling a card each day and reflecting on how it may relate to your current situation or emotions. Over time, you'll develop a personal connection with your deck and your own unique understanding of the cards.

Regarding your goal of clairvoyance, it's important to approach this with an open mind and patience. Tarot can certainly help develop your intuitive abilities, but clairvoyance is a skill that often requires time and practice. As you become more comfortable working with tarot, you may notice your intuition strengthening. Pay attention to any intuitive flashes or gut feelings that arise during readings.

Remember, there's no rush or pressure to fully grasp tarot or develop clairvoyance immediately. Enjoy the process, explore different resources, and connect with other tarot enthusiasts who can offer support and guidance. The journey of learning tarot is unique to each individual, and there's no right or wrong way to approach it.

If you have any specific questions or need further assistance, don't hesitate to ask. Happy tarot exploration and may your journey be filled with insightful discoveries!

Best regards

Challis

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Hello again and thank you for the wealth of responses! Apologies for the day-wait-response. I usually give it some time to let people respond and have natural discussion which is also very helpful for me.

So I've read through the responses a few times.
There is a lot for me to research and work through. This is a gift, so thanks again everyone.
I will start with duquette as I am familiar with his works. Slowly I will review Kraig, Foster Case, Mccarthy and eventually get around to the others.
Lastly, when I have privacy tomorrow, I look forward to vibrating the names as @stratamaster78 suggested.

It Is a 78 card deck. Major and minor acrcanas. It's a little different. It is a dungeons and dragons themed deck. Therefore another clarification I'd need is I have Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma as opposed to cups, pentacles etc. In the guide it doesn't map anything to the regular suits.

I will try now to do the psychic practice!
I will record my response here.:

Shuffled. Placed hand on deck.

Guess: major, temperance. Result, strength.
Guess: major, 21. Result; six of wisdom.
Guess #3; I did this one a bit different. I did a little looking with my minds eye first. I saw bright light, emanating in the card illustration.
I didn't know the number so I looked it up in my guidebook that came with the set before making the Guess.

Guess: Judgement. Result: Judgement.

intuitive flashes or gut feelings that arise during readings.
This played a part in finding a successful result, my gratitude!

Using same method again, ten minutes later:
Guess: X of intelligence. Result, The Tower.

Overall this feels like a good way to improve psychic attunement.

I will do a tarot now from @KjEno186 advice. I will use the responses to record my experience. This will be my 3rd tarot reading, but my first using a 3 card spread and following advice.
Post automatically merged:

Alright, following on from my last post.
I found out which suits are which.
Strength is Wands.
Wisdom is Cups.
Intelligence is Swords.
Charisma is coins.
I drew; Six of Wands, the emperor, and the Six of Cups.
From the six of Wands, pictured with a group bringing a dragon's head into a Palace Hall.

From the guides description, the direction it gave me at first was to not rest on my laurels. To keep achieving, despite fear of new challenges. As I continued to think, and ask questions, I realised the point of view is from the ruler. So it could mean I could achieve heights outside of what I see directly. This could easily apply itself to me both materially and spiritually.

From The Emperor, pictured as a King wearing armour and holding an axe. The description the guide gave me was to be more authoritative. This could directly apply to me as I do not always speak my mind or say exactly what I mean, or correct people. From the questions that arouse from looking at the image is to perhaps, this authority over things, including myself, is to arm myself before precious things are taken from me. This was a tough one.

Six of Cups, pictured as young woman reading a book, with Amber light bursting from her head. A Knight, a castle and a Wizard are in the background.
The description in the guide is to return to innocence. The interpretation I got from that was to let go of taught systems that hinder my magical progression, for example, my overly logical approach to the esoteric.
From looking at the picture, I get the idea that worlds of wonder await those whose imagination or crown chakra is strong.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awards
Excellent. You could also create separate Journals here, and devote one to psychic practice with Tarot :)

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Strength is Wands.
Wisdom is Cups.
Intelligence is Swords.
Charisma is coins.
So this is a pretty unusual interpretation of the suits - I'm not saying it's wrong (as others have said, tarot is so so much about your own interpretation. It's not uncommon for me to completely ignore the standard meaning because the visual imagery is a strikingly clear answer to my question). I'm just letting you know it's unusual because you said you don't have a tonne of experience and I think it's important to know when your sourcebook is "this is what most people agree on" and "this is my interesting and unusual take on it". But if it's YOUR take, not a guidebook, then completely ignore me and run with it.

(I mean it's not THAT out there or anything)
This is a more typical attribution for the suits (standard elemental attributions, fire water air earth)

Wands = action
Cups = emotions
Swords = thoughts (which can be intelligence, but a lot of the 'negative' cards are in swords too - the 9 of Swords for eg, the so-called "nightmare card", or the 8 of Swords where you get trapped by your own thoughts. <-- that can ofc be good news to learn. You're just trapping yourself! You can walk right out of there any time you like!)
Pentacles/Coins = the body, money, work, your environment

(but your interpretation of the cards sounds solid to me - eg not resting on your laurels related to the six of wands. I'm hesitant to say this because I don't think anyone can say "your reading of the cards is wrong" - and if no one can say it's wrong, then no one can say it's right. I just thought, since I said your suits attribution was unusual, I should also say that your actual reading wasn't)

Plus different decks have different flavours. The 6 of Cups is typically a card that shows childhood, and your deck sounds like it's gone with a metaphorical idea of that, as childhood innocence.

The Lubanko Tarot has quite a dark card for the 6 of Cups, where childhood is a time where you had no agency and might have been scared or hurt and powerless. They're both valid ways to go with that card, and if I was reading with your deck, I wouldn't read "abuse" into the 6 of Cups because it's not what the vibe of that deck is. I'm just rambling now. My mum is an atheist but also used tarot with her friends and sometimes with us, and so it's the connection to occult stuff that's been constant throughout my life even as other practices waxed and waned. (I still wouldn't call myself an expert though - I don't read for other people. I'm just very comfortable with my own use of it)

FWIW I am someone who uses tarot to explore my own feelings and understanding of a complex situation; I've never had much success with "telling the future" type divination (except in cases where I know damn well what the outcome of my situation is, and I'm just pretending to myself that I don't). It's good to be clear in your mind how you use it. If I draw a scary spread ("your surgery is going to go badly, Tower, Death, Ten of Swords"), I know that is speaking to my FEAR about the outcome of the surgery, not actually predicting a bad outcome. I know that because it's how I've always used tarot. If you go into it kind of wishy-washy on whether you're doing divination or exploring your own mind, I think you could risk really freaking yourself out.

(I mean my other advice for beginners is "don't ask any questions where a misinterpretation could mess you up psychologically". Don't, just on a whim, go "is my partner cheating on me?" because you're trying to think of more questions to ask it) I"M STILL RAMBLING

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Steve Savedow (I think) has an interesting suggestion. After you've read and practiced with the Tarot a bit, undertake a series of visualizations of the deck. That is, use a different card each day. Try to enter the scene from behind and see what develops. Converse with the figures, observe, take part in the activity. The aim is to see how the doings in each card fit into your inner landscape. The process takes from a few months to a few years. You wind up with a lot of interconnections that standard discussions cannot in the nature of the case disclose. Whether these prove useful or merely idiosyncratic, time will tell.