• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] Thoughts on the premise of NAP?

Someone's asking for help!

RoccoR

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
RE: New Avatar Power (NAP)?
SUBTOPIC: Differentiation between Faith-based and nonFaith-based

※→ Lemongrass00, Xingtian, et al,​

In TSONAP, he makes the analogy in regards to instead of using mystic beings to align you to cosmic energy, you develop your own power or “enter your own key in the door”. Very interesting idea.
(COMMENT)

It is my understanding that:

• If you are making a plea to a Supernatural Being - it becomes a religion (Faith-Based).
  • If you are manipulating energy it is nonFaith-Based (Metaphysics).

1611604183365.png

Most Respectfully,
R

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
In TSONAP, he makes the analogy in regards to instead of using mystic beings to align you to cosmic energy, you develop your own power or “enter your own key in the door”. Very interesting idea.

The techniques and the approach might be new, but the understanding of the human being as being able to unite and control cosmic forces, without intermediary, is very old. It is the "man as microcosm" idea that is probably the basic perspective of most magic that is taught today.

For instance, a basic text of the Confucian tradition, the Zhongyong (sometimes translated as "Doctrine of the Mean," I prefer "Constant Center"), says:

What Heaven decrees is called nature; what follows nature is called the Way; what cultivates the Way is called teaching. What is the Way cannot be parted from for an instant; what can be parted from is not the Way. So the noble are cautious where unseen, and wary where unheard. There is nothing more seen than the hidden, nothing more obvious than the obscure, so the noble are cautious in their solitude. When joy, anger, sorrow, and delight are not yet arisen, this is called the Center; when they arise and act in due measure, this is called Harmony. The Center is the great root of all under heaven; Harmony is the pervasive Way for all under heaven. Realize the Center and Harmony, and heaven and earth shall be in their places, and the myriad things flourish.

A commentary in the Yijing (I Ching) says that "[the sage's] virtue equals that of Heaven and Earth; his clarity equals that of the sun and moon; his timeliness equals that of the four seasons; his good fortune and bad fortune equal those of ghosts and spirits."

This immense power is something inherent in the human heart, bestowed by Heaven, though obscured by our selfishness; we realize it by the virtues such as humaneness and authenticity (cheng, a term that suggests a profound coherence of the person, inner and outer, attuned to one's nature and with the whole of the cosmos).

There are of course many examples of this thinking in the history of Western thought as well, with the Platonist and Hermetic views probably taking pride of place.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Those that have been posted into this human race from outside the solar system have their own authority.

One of the means of disabling them is to teach them to rely on the powers of other entities

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Those that have been posted into this human race from outside the solar system have their own authority.

One of the means of disabling them is to teach them to rely on the powers of other entities
Completely agree. There are some uses with communicating with those entities but relying on one’s power is supreme.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
I got a physical copy of The Miracle of New Avatar Power off Ebay last year. It's a well-used hardcover book, but I paid significantly less than the asking prices on Amazon which I see when I look it up now. My initial enthusiasm was dampened by a lack of apparent results. I've moved on with some other things since then, and I have something of a theory as to the effectiveness of the system.

I do believe that the people in the book are for real, and synchronistic events did occur for them. Magic does happen, but it is not predictable in a rational way. What one has in this book is a set of just-so stories collected by Gray-Cobb. These were people who were in the right place at the right time and who did the right things in the right way. We cannot prove anything by this collection of stories, but this is magic, not electrical engineering.

I appreciate the format, however, because it sets up an emotional state that can be conducive to working these simple rituals. I have set the book aside for the time being while I work on something else, but I intend to use it in the future when the feeling is right...

Bo Hanson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I don’t think I ever heard of it. I looked at the blurbs for Geoff Gray-Cobb’s book and it read almost like a parody of various health-and-wealth snake oil schemes that have popped up in self help and metaphysical sections for a long time. I almost laughed at Geoff’s boast that he went from lowly factory worker to driving a sports car and living in a high rise. I was half expecting him to add “on-demand intercourse with alien sex goddesses” a la Church of the SubGenius. The whole attitude just seems crass and stupid to me. Maybe it works but then what?
I recommend you to make research and not have fast opinions about Geof Grey-Cobb and his books.

Frater Malak aka Geof Gray-Cobb was born August 15th 1928 in London, England. He passed away May 12th 2009 in Saskatchewan, Canada at the age of 81. During his fascinating life he helped many find their spiritual ways. While living in Montreal, Quebec, Canada in 1969 or roughly thereof, he opened the spiritual centre The Hermetic Order of Campo Santo. In 1973 he moved to British Columbia where he continued his magical work. 'Beyond Reason', a TV show that aired on CBC was definitely his claim to fame. He wrote many other books, including The Miracle of New Avatar Power, Amazing Secrets of New Avatar Power, Secrets From Beyond the Pyramids, and Helping Yourself with Acupineology.

He left the rights to his work to his daughter VcToria Gray who lives in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. She owns The Alternative Universe and does her own areas of psychic work and helping others. She has a huge love of animals and lives peacefully with her two Siamese cats. She has also written her own memoir 'Then Now and Forever' by VcToria Gray. She chose to re-publish her Fathers books due to the high demand from people all across the world who still, to this day, use his words in Magic and for the power of positive change.

The proof is in the reprints. The book about NAP has unusual stay power. I believe it's due to showing the reader how to put their minds to use in fulfilling their dreams. The Miracle of New Avater Power was published in the early 1970's. It is a magical classic and also a talisman for creating Change -a Change you, the reader wants to have!! If for nothing else, the New Avatar Power Ritual, the meditation at the beginning of the incantations, is refreshing to both your mind and your body. There are lots of goodies in this book, incantations for just about every conceivable situation in the reader's life, that needs Change! There is even a method of pendulum dowsing, should the reader want to try this also.

Among his books/works, he teached about:
  • Attuning your life with psychic energy circuits
  • discover how to release and control Cosmic Forces that stagger the imagination
  • Learn about frces that will change your life in a twinkling, and bring you the things you want
  • How to use the new psychic energy generator
  • The North face of material wealth
  • The East face of love and peace of mind
  • The South face of protection and offense
  • The West face of health and strength
  • The new psychic pyramidic gestures
  • Your three facial psychic pyramidic features
  • The new psychic pyramidic healing postures
  • The amazing new pyramidic cone
  • Creating your total new psychic pyramidic environment
  • Journey for the Apex for a lifetime of miracles

Reaction score
Awards
It seems that the NAP main premise is based on the idea that each individual has the ability to access and harness the power of the cosmos (New Avatar Power) through their own consciousness and will. Rather than relying on external forces or entities, NAP encourages those to develop their own personal psychic powers and to use it to shape their reality.

I feel like this approach is somewhat unique in the realm of magick, where the traditional systems emphasize the importance of invoking and working with spiritual entities or deities and using complicated chants, sigils, etc. However, NAP seems to take the view that these activities are almost like "stage dressing", and the practitioner can come to a similar state of mind using NAP's rather easy to use rituals.

Just curious what you all have to say, I know NAP has been around since the 70s I believe, but I have only recently learned about it.

Regenerate response
So is NAP more mysticism than Magick, or both? It seems kind of like Words of Power to me.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
So is NAP more mysticism than Magick, or both? It seems kind of like Words of Power to me.
Not mysticism at all, definitely practical Magick. I like how it uses the premise of Magick being that the will of the practitioner can altar reality instead of the inherent power in words and rituals which people seem to always over prioritize or get caught up on.

Reaction score
Awards
Guess I should get a copy of it and try using it.
Post automatically merged:

seems that the NAP main premise is based on the idea that each individual has the ability to access and harness the power of the cosmos (New Avatar Power) through their own consciousness and will. Rather than relying on external forces or entities, NAP encourages those to develop their own personal psychic powers and to use it to shape their reality.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, bit this is summed up as Crowleys definition of Magick. And perhaps Law of Thelema.

If so, perhaps it could work for any one practitioner, who has the endurance to persevere.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awards
The dude below did a series of tumblr posts on NAP a few years ago. Specifically taking a cheesy 70s concept and successfully using it if I remember correctly. He spent some posts just explaining it as well. He’s big into Bardon’s IIH.

My 2 cents: A person can perform magic without external spirits because we also have a spirit. Most systems use a combination of both our own and external ones. It’s easier that way.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

- Eld

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
So, this is new to me. I never heard NAP before. It sounds interesting. I have a book I downloaded from the Library on the subject. Quite interesting!

kaikai

Neophyte
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that his daughter didn't recall seeing the author perform feats of magic when interviewed. And she did say her father has an unnatural ability of being close to animals.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
perform feats of magic
What is "magic" to a lay person? Bewitched? Harry Potter? If only we could see or hear that interview. Gray-Cobb was a Ceremonial Magician practicing according to the rule of Silence, meaning that ritual is performed in secret. Results which manifest in the world will appear as synchronicities and "good luck." One could choose to discuss results after the fact, but a loose tongue could inadvertently slip and reveal what should otherwise remain private business. Fortunately, the Rule of Silence does not extend to writing how-to books on magic.

The 1974 version of the book was a daring production, bringing the basics of Ceremonial magic to the masses. As hard as it might be for young people to imagine, there was no internet back then. Even the now-ubiquitous search engine was the stuff of science fiction. Families spent good money on encyclopedias. Newspapers were still useful. Bookstores thrived. However, how would one come to know that real magic exists? It often came down to a chance exposure, some guy like Gray-Cobb on the radio or television talking about the occult and promoting his book.

Now, like Right Now, we have an incredible amount of information at our fingertips compared to 50 years ago. I think NAP is great still. One could call the 1974 book a 'desert island' magic manual, if one had to survive the End of the World with just one or two books on magic. Otherwise, use the incredible wealth of information you have Right Now and do something with it!