• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] What are your diets/diet guidelines for weight loss?

Someone's asking for help!

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Years of sedantry lifestyle has made me quite the chonker, I'm afraid to admit.

I don't eat a lot, but when I do it it's to make me feel better, so a lot of comfort food, and junk food. Even when I cook for myself I use a lot of oil and butter and shit. Tastes too good.

I used to run, but these days it's too hot, so I've started indoor rowing, which I supplement with some weight training. Nothing crazy, just enough to stay somewhat fit and capable.

But diet really is the key to weight loss, so I'd appreciate any diet tips, inspiration, meal prep plans etc.
The easiest way a lot of people diet and lose weight without making any major changes is to implement two factors. One, eliminate all calories from liquids (soda,sweet tea milk,juice) and only drink water or unsweetened tea unless on rare occasion. Two, eliminate snacking. You’ll be surprised to see how much you truly eat from snacks alone. That alone will allow you to start losing weight.

QueenJazz

Archivist
Archivist
Reaction score
Awards
Might be a US thing, I hear about it a lot when I watch videos about all those crazy ingredients used in the US.

As for cigarettes, they'll probably kill you slower than the actual carcinogens in food and air pollutants.

Yeah man! I should look up some online! Imagine that though. The height of consumerism. Ordering water online internationally. Fugg.
There’s a machine that makes sparkling water at home it’s called soda stream it’s easy to use and cheap you can buy it online.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
The easiest way a lot of people diet and lose weight without making any major changes is to implement two factors. One, eliminate all calories from liquids (soda,sweet tea milk,juice) and only drink water or unsweetened tea unless on rare occasion. Two, eliminate snacking. You’ll be surprised to see how much you truly eat from snacks alone. That alone will allow you to start losing weight.
Yeah I fully agree, those 2 things seem to be the best things I can do right now. Least effort for most reward. Just need some self control.

There’s a machine that makes sparkling water at home it’s called soda stream it’s easy to use and cheap you can buy it online.
I've seen those but don't you need to get little gas cannisters for them?

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah I fully agree, those 2 things seem to be the best things I can do right now. Least effort for most reward. Just need some self control.

Yeah man that’s definitely the hardest. What’s your exercise routine like now? When I used to need to cut I followed a HIIT sprint interval workout that I saw results in within two weeks.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah man that’s definitely the hardest. What’s your exercise routine like now? When I used to need to cut I followed a HIIT sprint interval workout that I saw results in within two weeks.
I'm not really a fan of doing HIIT at home, and due to a combination of factors I want to avoid gyms these days. So for now, I'm doing a bit of freestyle, combining my indoor rowing machine and a few dumbells at home. Rowing, curls, dumbell presses, squats mainly.

QueenJazz

Archivist
Archivist
Reaction score
Awards

You need to buy those cylinders from the company they have it on the website.
check their website you will see it’s called soda stream they have a starter pack where you get everything you need bottles too

Yazata

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I lost weight by not eating meat. Maybe because I hated the taste of vegetables at first and only eat them raw now (tastes great)
But I'll get on these kicks of making my own bread and then stuff myself with that untill I had to cut that out too. People like to treat themselves. At the moment I'm addicted to Greek yoghurt with a spoon of natural cacao powder. It's like sugar free chocolate mousse and (reasonably healthy).

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
The last time I actually lost weight it was counting calories and lots of hiking. Counting calories sucks if you don't prepare your own food, which someone already said, but you don't necessarily need to be exact and almost everywhere posts nutrition values in the US now. Have a cheat day. Most people if they don't have a cheat day they fall back to eating junk because that's what they're craving. Schedule a specific day and have something you like regardless of calories. Biggest problem is sticking to it. I was able to stick to it before my job started taking over my entire life. Now I'm becoming one with my chair.

Yazata

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
The last time I actually lost weight it was counting calories and lots of hiking. Counting calories sucks if you don't prepare your own food, which someone already said, but you don't necessarily need to be exact and almost everywhere posts nutrition values in the US now. Have a cheat day. Most people if they don't have a cheat day they fall back to eating junk because that's what they're craving. Schedule a specific day and have something you like regardless of calories. Biggest problem is sticking to it. I was able to stick to it before my job started taking over my entire life. Now I'm becoming one with my chair.
Becoming one with my chair.. I know the feeling 😂

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
I feel like one of the best things I've now done to make myself eat more veggies, is grow them. Because if I put that much work into something so I could eat it, you better fucking bet I'm not gonna just let it rot in the fridge or on the plant. XD

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I count calories a lot and try to avoid sugary snacks, eating meat and veggies is good

Weirdo

Visitor
Reaction score
I only got bread at home (not Toast) which I eat for breakfast in the morning, the rest of my meals is usually whatever my friends offer me that day. Not like I'm too poor to buy more, but almost all my friends at the moment are from African/Arab countries and I get stuffed like a turkey whenever I visit somebody.

I guess you could try just making all your meals from scratch to (so bake bread instead of buying it, cut and fry potatoes if you want fries, etc). I used to do that for economy reasons and remember losing my appetite quite often when I realized that I had to get my ass up for the next snack.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I only got bread at home (not Toast) which I eat for breakfast in the morning, the rest of my meals is usually whatever my friends offer me that day. Not like I'm too poor to buy more, but almost all my friends at the moment are from African/Arab countries and I get stuffed like a turkey whenever I visit somebody.

I guess you could try just making all your meals from scratch to (so bake bread instead of buying it, cut and fry potatoes if you want fries, etc). I used to do that for economy reasons and remember losing my appetite quite often when I realized that I had to get my ass up for the next snack.
Wtf 😂 so your friends offer you meals every single day?

Weirdo

Visitor
Reaction score
Wtf 😂 so your friends offer you meals every single day?
It's not like I was counting on other people's generosity, but it keeps happening. Today I met a bro randomly, got me 2 falafel wrap, one pita (I believe Americans call this schwarma?) and some cake which's name I don't know for dessert. My scales tell me not to meet anyone else today 😵

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
It's not like I was counting on other people's generosity, but it keeps happening. Today I met a bro randomly, got me 2 falafel wrap, one pita (I believe Americans call this schwarma?) and some cake which's name I don't know for dessert. My scales tell me not to meet anyone else today 😵
But every day? That seems unlikely to me. But if it's true, good for you. And make sure you repay their generosity. One of the greatest social privilleges imo is sharing and receiving meals from others.

Weirdo

Visitor
Reaction score
But every day? That seems unlikely to me. But if it's true, good for you. And make sure you repay their generosity. One of the greatest social privilleges imo is sharing and receiving meals from others.
I was flabbergasted at first too, but I think I really just fucked up something I tried during the lockdown around here (I'll post that in detail later).
And I can agree with the latter part, yes. It's not like I don't return the favor in a different manner (e.g. I often explain letters from bureaus, etc. to them).

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
What I’ve found very interesting, is how once you start including more healthy things like veggies, it’s as if that becomes your new baseline after a while. Now I can actually tell when I’m eating too much junk food again, and I’ll feel somewhat like shit in comparison.

Frater Dag

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
I obsessively read about health, diets, and supplements. For many years I would water fast for 24 hours once a week for longevity purposes.

If you track weight gain on charts through the 20th century, most of it is related to heavily processed foods. There are many studies done on ultra-processed foods and weight gain.

Focus on removing heavily processed foods from your diet (sugary beverages should go, if you can't live without them, add a little juice to water for flavoring),
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
helps a lot(
), and you might try to get your gut bacteria to help you out (this is usually referred to as the microbiome). You might want to consider homemade kefir (the store bought variety does not compare) for this purpose. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I have read many studies for over a decade, some of them about bacteria that are quite strange.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
I obsessively read about health, diets, and supplements. For many years I would water fast for 24 hours once a week for longevity purposes.

If you track weight gain on charts through the 20th century, most of it is related to heavily processed foods. There are many studies done on ultra-processed foods and weight gain.

Focus on removing heavily processed foods from your diet (sugary beverages should go, if you can't live without them, add a little juice to water for flavoring),
helps a lot(
), and you might try to get your gut bacteria to help you out (this is usually referred to as the microbiome). You might want to consider homemade kefir (the store bought variety does not compare) for this purpose. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I have read many studies for over a decade, some of them about bacteria that are quite strange.
How does watercress rank as a health food in small amounts, if you know? Only info I can find online goes off serving sizes of one cup or more, which seems like too much for one meal the way I prepare it. But I’ve got a plant I started from seed that’s now very happy and productive, so I’ve been cramming that into whatever I can. It’s one of the few things that’ll thrive in this godforsaken swamp, along with my moringa tree and the Malabar spinach. (Isn’t it a cruel twist of irony that the only foods I succeed at growing, are the ones my family won’t touch?)

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Do you mean 21st century? Or do you literally mean 1900-2000? My knowledge of processed foods is only really from the very late 20th century (like 90s) and mostly from 2000 onwards.