• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Will Magick Be Regulated?

Everyone's got one.

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
WTF? Is it a sagely practice to burn the straw-men he fashions himself? If so, go for it.
Sir, that was Mars's straw man.
Train such a kid that money, say, is the beginning and end-all and he'll spend years deeply discontent, maybe never fight free of those golden fetters.
There must be a golden crumb within his fetters somewhere, aching for the age of Rousseau.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Sir, that was Mars's straw man.

There must be a golden crumb within his fetters somewhere, aching for the age of Rousseau.
Bad choice. Rousseau said, "Man is born free and is everywhere in chains. What can justify this?" (Emphasis added.) I think the guy would be better off swapping his golden chains for the Golden Dawn (the contemporary version in Greece, not the Regardie-inspired retread.)

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I think the guy would be better off swapping his golden chains for the Golden Dawn (the contemporary version in Greece, not the Regardie-inspired retread.)
Gurdjieff wouldn't. If a man "doesn't want to be free", forcing him is slavery.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Gurdjieff wouldn't. If a man "doesn't want to be free", forcing him is slavery.
My apologies to your buddy there, Good Ol' Jeff.

Who's forcing anyone (besides Rousseau)? I said the guy in fetters would be better off if 1) he had magickal aptitude; 2) was unhappy with life in the cash-lane. You know, like the middle aged bank employee who runs off to Tahiti and turns painter. I was just dropping a suggestion to such types. Dropping a suggestion and saying that a civilization that press-gangs folks into a few highly unimaginative ways of life has some serious flaws. For one thing, such a civilization is, in effect, regulating magick in a harmful way. A civilization in tertiary-stage Entgötterung, to use Heidegger's delightful word.

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I said the guy in fetters would be better off if 1) he had magickal aptitude; 2) was unhappy with life in the cash-lane.
Well, I would be better off if I could literally fly.

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
His problem is rather more easily solved. Ask Jeff, he's a smart guy.
Gurdjieff wasn't all that concerned with diverting people from making money....

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Gurdjieff wasn't all that concerned with diverting people from making money....
See? Problem solved already.

Back to the point, this all started when I said it was a shoddy civilization that construes everything in terms of money. As G.K. Chesterton put it, becoming good is a greater thing than "making good."

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Back to the point, this all started when I said it was a shoddy civilization that construes everything in terms of money.
oK, point to the good civilization.

HocusPocus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Don't think it'd be too hard, but to be honest most Magic users seem to be harmless and are also largely a victim to the system as well. No matter how independent anyone sounds at the end of the day people are used to the resources and institution the government and society provides. Even the woodsman of today still go to the city to trade and have to deal with society in some ways.

Think @Jackson has a point that if they wanted then most of us wouldn't be posting here and no one would really know about it. As long as there's no cults forming with anti-establishment creeds then I think all will be fine and dandy. Hell you can have an anti-government cult form and as long as they aren't violent there isn't much they'll do to you.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Don't think it'd be too hard, but to be honest most Magic users seem to be harmless and are also largely a victim to the system as well. No matter how independent anyone sounds at the end of the day people are used to the resources and institution the government and society provides. Even the woodsman of today still go to the city to trade and have to deal with society in some ways.

Think @Jackson has a point that if they wanted then most of us wouldn't be posting here and no one would really know about it. As long as there's no cults forming with anti-establishment creeds then I think all will be fine and dandy. Hell you can have an anti-government cult form and as long as they aren't violent there isn't much they'll do to you.
Actually the government infiltrates groups they think might turn against them. Look st the Matt Hale case. Or again the "kidnapping" conspiracy against the governor of Michigan was apparently orchestrated by the FBI with the governor's input. It is only a matter of time before magi start coming in for unfriendly attention. This will be (is?) not because they are a danger per se, but simply because they are unregulated. In the Safe New World, no one is allowed outside.

HocusPocus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Actually the government infiltrates groups they think might turn against them. Look st the Matt Hale case. Or again the "kidnapping" conspiracy against the governor of Michigan was apparently orchestrated by the FBI with the governor's input. It is only a matter of time before magi start coming in for unfriendly attention. This will be (is?) not because they are a danger per se, but simply because they are unregulated. In the Safe New World, no one is allowed outside.

I don't know what you mean I think the government has our best interest at heart, in fact I think we should discuss this over a phone call just send me your real name, phone number and addr---ermm ...

Back to my point. I agree but they do that to everyone already, bot-nets, fake comments, but I don't know how big or significant the Occult community is to them to be honest. Infiltration is for high profile targets.

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Control creep seems rather... limited and occasionally reversed. I'm not seeing the evidence that the ruling classes prefer a totalitarian system. The Soviet Union had one, but the Soviet Union had resource problems. The United States has an electoral horse shit system revolving around presidential personalities.

neilwilkes

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
We do live in an era of increasing regulation and decreasing privacy. It might be worth pondering whether, with increases in Big Data and AI, it will be possible to identify which individuals are practicing magick where and, indeed, with what degree of success. Moreover, with brain/computer interface the coming thing, it might well be possible to exert a significant degree of control over what magick---if any---these individuals are able to practice.

So the question is how likely do you think any of this within, say, the next 25 years? What benefits, if any, do you see? The rationalizations for why it is "necessary" are easy to imagine (public safety, protecting children, that tired old two-step). Me, I think we're all well and truly fekked, but I am open to my mind being changed.

This could have gone in Politics and Economy, yes. It was a judgment call as to which was better. Since it is not clear whether magick can be monitored by secular means yet, I opted for this category.

There's just about no chance whatsoever - not because the globalists wouldn't do it (they absolutely would), but because within 15-20 years the Electrical Age of Earth will be over for this current cycle, as our poles arer in full excursion allowing more & more external influence and the end result will be total destruction of the global electricity grids. I go even further and say the end crescendo of the ongoing Magnetic Excursion - an Extinction Level Event - will be a Solar Micronova, much like the one that did for the planet 12,000 years ago at the Younger Dryas extinction event.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
we had sunflares at the exodus of egypt, the birth of jesus, the idk of mohammed, the huppeldepup of buddha, etc. and we have sunflares now.
people go crazy during those times. like making people believe a stick is a snake and other stuff.

even if you look at geographic places like for example a biggy like the ural mountains in the sovjet. they are a natural barrier, so why do we invent the chinese wall, why do we discover a big wall in the caspian sea, why was there a berlin wall. did the earth wobble and did we need the ural border for some reason?

why did we go worldwide with covid? why did the real darkening of the sun happen above a non inhabited place: Antarctica?

maybe the powers that be arent THAT stupid. they came to earth gave us an apple as sex symbol and mated with the females. so me thinks we are liked and not doomed.

we evolve, magick evolves. first fire was godly, now we accept data going as fast as light popping up as text on a machine called pc, as normal.
anyone knows how to do that? prob not, but its not magick. nope and it isnt fire either. its normal.

my mum used to say if you cant appreciate the little things in life, dont expect the bigger ones being shown to you. same goes for magick.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
There's just about no chance whatsoever - not because the globalists wouldn't do it (they absolutely would), but because within 15-20 years the Electrical Age of Earth will be over for this current cycle, as our poles arer in full excursion allowing more & more external influence and the end result will be total destruction of the global electricity grids. I go even further and say the end crescendo of the ongoing Magnetic Excursion - an Extinction Level Event - will be a Solar Micronova, much like the one that did for the planet 12,000 years ago at the Younger Dryas extinction event.
That's the best news I've heard in a spell.
Post automatically merged:

we had sunflares at the exodus of egypt, the birth of jesus, the idk of mohammed, the huppeldepup of buddha, etc. and we have sunflares now.
people go crazy during those times. like making people believe a stick is a snake and other stuff.

even if you look at geographic places like for example a biggy like the ural mountains in the sovjet. they are a natural barrier, so why do we invent the chinese wall, why do we discover a big wall in the caspian sea, why was there a berlin wall. did the earth wobble and did we need the ural border for some reason?

why did we go worldwide with covid? why did the real darkening of the sun happen above a non inhabited place: Antarctica?

maybe the powers that be arent THAT stupid. they came to earth gave us an apple as sex symbol and mated with the females. so me thinks we are liked and not doomed.

we evolve, magick evolves. first fire was godly, now we accept data going as fast as light popping up as text on a machine called pc, as normal.
anyone knows how to do that? prob not, but its not magick. nope and it isnt fire either. its normal.

my mum used to say if you cant appreciate the little things in life, dont expect the bigger ones being shown to you. same goes for magick.
Contrariwise, the classic methods of perpetrating grand swindles is by dangling little things before our eyes. (How else would the Kardashians ever have been newsworthy?)

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
media and politics have been going together for longer then tv. bards sung about their leaders, warriors had pride and people came to watch in the arena.

and the kardashians have a mumdad who understands that being legally a women is a pro. all the other kardashians have similiar isnights and quite good running businesses.

and sometimes i wonder how the world would look without vdende productions, but i cant. one might ask what gordon ramsey has to do with it. maybe our ramsey knows?

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
and sometimes i wonder how the world would look without vdende productions, but i cant. one might ask what gordon ramsay has to do with it. maybe our ramsay knows?
I presume 'vdende' is a typo, but I don't know what the actual word might be.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
media and politics have been going together for longer then tv. bards sung about their leaders, warriors had pride and people came to watch in the arena.

and the kardashians have a mumdad who understands that being legally a women is a pro. all the other kardashians have similiar isnights and quite good running businesses.

and sometimes i wonder how the world would look without vdende productions, but i cant. one might ask what gordon ramsey has to do with it. maybe our ramsey knows?
?