• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

witchtok

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
so youre saying i could make up my own magic system with nothing to base it off and it would just work?
Assuming that you believed in it sufficiently - that's one of the tenets of Chaos magic - "Magic requires a belief system; it doesn't matter what that belief system is"

So it wouldn't be "nothing" exactly - it would have to be based on things that had a deep meaning to you.

Khoren_

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Assuming that you believed in it sufficiently - that's one of the tenets of Chaos magic - "Magic requires a belief system; it doesn't matter what that belief system is"

So it wouldn't be "nothing" exactly - it would have to be based on things that had a deep meaning to you.
isn't that how we get people invoking the spirit of Miss Piggy

Gregorius

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards

Not to completely derail but why then have these very deep and introcate systems
I mean i agree that believe is keyy but i also think that there are spirits and such wich is why it is more effective to use them than to just come up with your own stuff

Aeternus

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Not to completely derail but why then have these very deep and introcate systems
I mean i agree that believe is keyy but i also think that there are spirits and such wich is why it is more effective to use them than to just come up with your own stuff
Believe is key. However, you can talk to the spirits and see what tunes more to you, and then come up with your own stuff

Gregorius

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
This i think comes down to the fact that while humans are atleast partly divine most people have not awakened/honed their divine/spiritual side
ofcourse it is easy for someone with decades of practice to assume a purely chaotic view of things as you have enough spiritual power so you need not call upon any outer force for your magick but for someone like me who has less than a year of prectice i thinks its pretty dangerous to push that "believe is key" mindset since i dont have the spiritual capebilities to be self reliant and so i need to call upon other entities for that power
Post automatically merged:

Believe is key. However, you can talk to the spirits and see what tunes more to you, and then come up with your own stuff
True but i think he was saying that those thing are real because we believe (i might have gotten that wrong sorry in advance) wich i dissagree with

Khoren_

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
This i think comes down to the fact that while humans are atleast partly divine most people have not awakened/honed their divine/spiritual side
ofcourse it is easy for someone with decades of practice to assume a purely chaotic view of things as you have enough spiritual power so you need not call upon any outer force for your magick but for someone like me who has less than a year of prectice i thinks its pretty dangerous to push that "believe is key" mindset since i dont have the spiritual capebilities to be self reliant and so i need to call upon other entities for that power

True but i think he was saying that those thing are real because we believe (i might have gotten that wrong sorry in advance) wich i dissagree with

When learning, you often learn the rules of others to learn what rules exist.
When you learn the rules, you learn what rules can be broken.
When you learn what rules can be broken, you learn how to bend all the rules.
When you learn how to bend the rules without breaking them, you realize the rules never existed in the first place.

At a high enough level, all practices are no better than free form jazz.

Gregorius

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
When learning, you often learn the rules of others to learn what rules exist.
When you learn the rules, you learn what rules can be broken.
When you learn what rules can be broken, you learn how to bend all the rules.
When you learn how to bend the rules without breaking them, you realize the rules never existed in the first place.

At a high enough level, all practices are no better than free form jazz.
Ah i see so rules are just well established methods wich are proven to work
But this means that still these spirits exist without believe right?

Khoren_

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards

Do you believe that the world exists?

Khoren_

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
well yes but i still will when im dead i hope
I made a post in book reviews, i suggest you read, about how the world is created moment to moment. I mighyt do another write up on that one since im out all week.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Crowley: “In this book it is spoken of... Spirits and Conjurations; of Gods, Spheres, Planes and many other things which may or may not exist. It is immaterial whether these exist or not. By doing certain things certain results will follow; students are most earnestly warned against attributing objective reality or philosophic validity to any of them.”

The "intricate systems" give you a framework, and learning them programs them within your belief system. If a system has supposedly been handed down from Master to Master, isn't that more likely to install a stronger level of belief than summoning Miss Piggy?

In my opinion, it's the same kind of thing as why many religions say "Ours is the only true religion" in order to strengthen your beliefs in that particular religion.

Gregorius

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Crowley: “In this book it is spoken of... Spirits and Conjurations; of Gods, Spheres, Planes and many other things which may or may not exist. It is immaterial whether these exist or not. By doing certain things certain results will follow; students are most earnestly warned against attributing objective reality or philosophic validity to any of them.”

The "intricate systems" give you a framework, and learning them programs them within your belief system. If a system has supposedly been handed down from Master to Master, isn't that more likely to install a stronger level of belief than summoning Miss Piggy?

In my opinion, it's the same kind of thing as why many religions say "Ours is the only true religion" in order to strengthen your beliefs in that particular religion.
Doesnt this kind of discussion counteract that phylosophy tho
I mean learning that these things only exist because i believe in them and not because they just are doesnt seem to strengthen my believe

Khoren_

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I mean learning that these things only exist because i believe in them and not because they just are doesnt seem to strengthen my believe
At some point read Liber Kaos or Liber Null

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
This is why I recommend Stanislavski's "An Actor Prepares" as a magical book :)

Being able to manipulate your own belief systems is one of the things in Chaos Magic. The point is not whether they are true or not, the point is to believe in them so you can get your magical work done.

and yeah, there's a lot about manipulating belief systems in there.

Gregorius

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
This is why I recommend Stanislavski's "An Actor Prepares" as a magical book :)

Being able to manipulate your own belief systems is one of the things in Chaos Magic. The point is not whether they are true or not, the point is to believe in them so you can get your magical work done.

and yeah, there's a lot about manipulating belief systems in there.
Will read all those once i am further into my journey as i dont think i should touch chaos magick this early into my magickal journey as i havnt even talked to spirits yet

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Will read all those once i am further into my journey as i dont think i should touch chaos magick this early into my magickal journey as i havnt even talked to spirits yet

Confession: I have never knowingly talked to any spirits during the whole of my magical practice. I have not felt like I have missed anything.

Obviously, your mileage may vary, as they say.

Khoren_

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Confession: I have never knowingly talked to any spirits during the whole of my magical practice. I have not felt like I have missed anything.

Obviously, your mileage may vary, as they say.
I personally studied theory for years before I picked up the staff

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I personally studied theory for years before I picked up the staff
hear hear. Admittedly, I was coming at it from a different angle (building a scientific explanation of magic) but the order of things was the same.

Gregorius

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
hear hear. Admittedly, I was coming at it from a different angle (building a scientific explanation of magic) but the order of things was the same.
i just started because i heard about freemasons on some (somewhat schizophrenic)conspiracy imageboard