• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

A (very) brief history of WF

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
@league is right in that it’s not just WF with lower traffic now it’s all forums.

I actually prefer the current version of WF because moderation is much improved and has cut out pretty much all the the trolling.

The Original versions did have more of an ‘Expert’ presence.

What I mean is that there were several members who bigtime knew their stuff and they dropped a lot of knowledge and it was spread out across several different paths.

There was especially a presence for Goetic work, PGM, Voudou, Hoodoo, and LHP in general.

There were a few members very knowledgeable in the Tarot as well.

But you had to weed through a lot of BS too with Trolls though.

Expert Trolls. Dudes that could just derail the whole effing forum.

So yeah it had its pluses and minuses.

I’m nostalgic for the good but do not miss the bad.

Aeternus

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
@stratamaster78 I think you have a good approach on the subject.

I agree with missing the old but not missing the bad.

Also, what does PGM mean? It kinda puzzled me there
Post automatically merged:

Oh and yeah, trolls are very annoying, from the ones who use ragebait to the ones who try to infiltrate any social circles (especially occult circles) and provide some moronic tips or whatever their ill-willed purpose may be

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
@stratamaster78 I think you have a good approach on the subject.

I agree with missing the old but not missing the bad.

Also, what does PGM mean? It kinda puzzled me there

Oh and yeah, trolls are very annoying, from the ones who use ragebait to the ones who try to infiltrate any social circles (especially occult circles) and provide some moronic tips or whatever their ill-willed purpose may be

The Greek Magical Papyri.

I also remember a member that was heavily into the 6th and 7th Books of Moses.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
@league is right in that it’s not just WF with lower traffic now it’s all forums
It's not just forums, it's all websites. Social media swallowed everything. Very few people open a browser and type in www dot interestingwebsite dot com. They follow them on twitter or whatever and click the articles that come up in their feed

This is why everyone has newsletters and podcasts rather than blogs: they let you retain control over your audience (not "control", just access - I don't need to pay Gmail to "boost" my newsletter so that people who already subscribed actually see it in my inbox, as is the case with social media posts).

For a very long time now, Sichuan media algorithms have deprioritised offsite links (why would they make it easy to leave?) so it's extremely hard to build up an audience for a blog or whatever unless you have an audience you built in the 2000s.

I don't think data harvesting will be a factor in users leaving (the Cambridge Analytica scandal was in 2018 - people are resigned to the fact that they steal your data). But the usability is degrading as well, with Twitter most obviously, but Reddit's recent IPO (change to a publicly traded company), they don't have long.

I don't foresee a return to forums though. All the successful newsletters and podcasts have private discord servers. Okay I guess that's basically a forum! But it's not gonna be a return to forums on websites.

Aeternus

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
It's not just forums, it's all websites. Social media swallowed everything. Very few people open a browser and type in www dot interestingwebsite dot com. They follow them on twitter or whatever and click the articles that come up in their feed

This is why everyone has newsletters and podcasts rather than blogs: they let you retain control over your audience (not "control", just access - I don't need to pay Gmail to "boost" my newsletter so that people who already subscribed actually see it in my inbox, as is the case with social media posts).

I don't think data harvesting will be a factor in users leaving (the Cambridge Analytica scandal was in 2018 - people are resigned to the fact that they steal your data). But the usability is degrading as well, with Twitter most obviously, but Reddit's recent IPO (change to a publicly traded company), they don't have long.

I don't foresee a return to forums though. All the successful newsletters and podcasts have private discord servers. Okay I guess that's basically a forum! But it's not gonna be a return to forums on websites.
It is worth to acknowledge that Twitter (X... whatever) has a very dangerous nature of data collection. It is basically a honeypot where nowadays there is a lot of data being collected.

And yeah, most news channels either have Telegram or Discord as private channels so, that is why the forum era is kinda forgotten nowadays

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Earnestly, if WF wanted to take a serious stab at marketing, the most viable options are a newsletter or podcast.

Also, without wanting to start fights, I think its half-hamstrung by its light-touch moderation. It tolerates fascism and white supremacy so long as people stay on topic and keep decorous. I don't tell people I use WF for that reason, and don't recommend it, because it would be bad for my reputation (and I'd need to write a bunch of disclaimers when sharing, which I can't be bothered doing).

I'm not alone in that - left-wing people tend to care more about... I don't know exactly how to phrase it. They're less able to put politics aside than right-wing people. I'm sure right-wing people are thinking "good, fuck em if they don't like it" but I'm just talking from a realpolitik perspective of why it might be harder for WF to grow an audience.

Both RW and LW people like a heavily moderated forum (it only excludes the 2% at the end of each spectrum who can't stop themselves saying political stuff), but only RW people like a lightly moderated forum. So, light moderation halves the potential membership (not quite halves - after all, me and a few others are here. But like I said, I don't recommend it or say the name of the forum when I'm discussing it.)

It is worth to acknowledge that Twitter (X... whatever) has a very dangerous nature of data collection. It is basically a honeypot where nowadays there is a lot of data being collected
I agree with this, I just don't think it causes many users to leave. People are leaving because of the out of control spambots and the fact that the worst and most boring people get the most visibility (because they paid for blue checks)

... "Sichuan media" should say "social media" in my earlier post. Autocorrect trying to pin it on Tiktok, but it's the lot of them!

Last edited:

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards

For a very long time now, Sichuan media algorithms have deprioritised offsite links (why would they make it easy to leave?) so it's extremely hard to build up an audience for a blog or whatever unless you have an audience you built in the 2000s.

I'm a person who's very resistant to change so in this case it probably helped me for once because I never adopted Social Media as a primary way to interact with others.

Plus (here's me maybe being a bit obnoxious or snobby) I find that FB, Twitter, Instagram. TikTok, etc etc are home to some of the most terrestrial minded people who operate on the lowest physical vibrations.

I mean that's fine in general but it just clashes with my aspirations and if I spend too much time on any of those sites I can feel it dragging me down into the mud.

So that's my stuck up way I guess of saying I prefer forums as my way to interact with others who have common interests.

Tiana Silvermoon

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Great thing about forums is that you can actually find something there. In social media after a couple of days it's such a pain in the ass, and if something happened a couple of years ago it's almost impossible. That is the main thing that keeps me on some older platforms, I hate to feel that everything I write and read just vanishes so quickly. But most people feel differently it seems.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
@pixel_fortune: i get what you are saying marketing wise, but quality over quantity. esoteric still means 'the happy few' ;)
and having to buy a pope card is not a good thing, as it was about freedom. ( discordian freedom fighters from the '60 ) i know it sounds nasty, but the white race is ruling earth and they do that with fascism and they steal info from humans about everything. can we stand tall against for example mansanto who makes herbs and natural water illegal? i say, yes we can! and im not a <removed> and therefor got kicked in the spiritual sense. its nonsense, but that is the reality we live with. war in the east, war in the west, war every where.

i get what tiana is saying: dont let them take your posts! (or use their ways as a tool of course.)

Last edited by a moderator:

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Earnestly, if WF wanted to take a serious stab at marketing, the most viable options are a newsletter or podcast.

Also, without wanting to start fights, I think its half-hamstrung by its light-touch moderation. It tolerates fascism and white supremacy so long as people stay on topic and keep decorous. I don't tell people I use WF for that reason, and don't recommend it, because it would be bad for my reputation (and I'd need to write a bunch of disclaimers when sharing, which I can't be bothered doing).

I'm not alone in that - left-wing people tend to care more about... I don't know exactly how to phrase it. They're less able to put politics aside than right-wing people. I'm sure right-wing people are thinking "good, fuck em if they don't like it" but I'm just talking from a realpolitik perspective of why it might be harder for WF to grow an audience.

Both RW and LW people like a heavily moderated forum (it only excludes the 2% at the end of each spectrum who can't stop themselves saying political stuff), but only RW people like a lightly moderated forum. So, light moderation halves the potential membership (not quite halves - after all, me and a few others are here. But like I said, I don't recommend it or say the name of the forum when I'm discussing it.)

I agree with this, I just don't think it causes many users to leave. People are leaving because of the out of control spambots and the fact that the worst and most boring people get the most visibility (because they paid for blue checks)

... "Sichuan media" should say "social media" in my earlier post. Autocorrect trying to pin it on Tiktok, but it's the lot of them!

Not taking a side but I believe it's a Freedom of Speech issue.

Now me personally it has become a challenge to not respond to it.

Most of the time I fail and address it when I see it... or more I call them out on it....The Offending Poster not Moderation.

But I'm sure you are right in that it could possibly keep others from joining either because they randomly find WF and see an offensive post and don't join or because current members don't recommend WF to others because they already know that prospective new member would find some content offensive.

I will say though that the most recent examples I have seen the Staff did address it within the thread and directed the poster to make their points without the Offensive material.

For the most part though from what I can tell the Offensive comments are coming from only 2-3 people who are semi-regular at best.

So it's not like WF is just a den for this stuff with it running rampant.

It's happens infrequently for the most part that I can tell and I know I've seen other members besides myself call them out on it when it does happen.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I've been wanting to say that, reflecting on forums I've been on in the past, WF 4.0 is the best so far. I started out in Yahoo! Groups ages ago and since then watched the forums I have been on rise and fall, kind of like shopping malls. I always found it remarkable (or irritating) how one user (whose books might be in the library;)) would blow up and leave, and then the forum would just fall apart. Also, tendency towards cliquishness and subject territorialism I found could be a seed of ruin, along with bloviated reputations that stifle the growth of others in their perpetuations. I'm not going to say this site is going to be immune to that in the future, but I don't get that sense now. I feel this site has a kind of charm of "spiritual anarchism" that I have always sensed is the best ground for cultivating magical knowledge and awareness. I am not typically sentimental, but I can say this site has a lot of interesting characters in a decent blend. Also, and perhaps most importantly, people here seem more curious. That can be taken in more than one sense, lol. From my perspective, with reference to the epic of WF's evolution, I think the story is proceeding nicely.

So, tipping my hat man fedora to Skull and his efforts!

There's indeed over 5.000 members.. Not all of them are dropping "banger" threads of course.. but the posts that get made are usually pretty good.

An appreciation for you btw Skull: 10.000 bucks just to get WF back on the net. That's funking awesome 🤘
At 2 bucks a head I'd call that a bargain.(y)

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I agree. There might be a slight resurgence in forum activity from people who previously used or know what forums are, but certainly the majority of people would not go back to seeking forums.

It is what it is. For reasons that @Tiana Silvermoon and others have mentioned, I personally believe that a forum format is the best option for an occult community with a focus on long-term discussions, book sharing, and otherwise findable content. WF doesn't have to be everything to everyone, and certainly I too prefer quality over quantity.

Also, without wanting to start fights, I think its half-hamstrung by its light-touch moderation. It tolerates fascism and white supremacy so long as people stay on topic and keep decorous.
This sentiment itself boils down to the paradoxical dilemma of modern extreme "leftism" being more fascist than the typical conservative right wing. WF allows ideas of all kinds. Including controversial ones, and including what most would consider to be incorrect. WF neither promotes, nor censors any particular political stance. You just say we "tolerate" XYZ because we don't censor exactly what you want us to censor. Anyone is free to criticise anyone else's viewpoint on WF. Nothing is so sacred that it cannot be questioned or condemned.

It's funny, that what you expect of WF, is actually quite literally fascism. For ideas that oppose your own to be censored, and for any questioning or criticism if your ideals to be prohibited.

A lot of things are tolerated on WF (and yes, I appreciate you choosing your words carefully and not accusing WF itself of actually being fascist or supremacist) as long as they are posited as an argument, viewpoint, opinion, fact or some other form of discussion that allows it to be questioned, examined, ignored, or whatever - and not as a personal threat, attack, or insult. Mind you, there is so little fascism and white supremacy on WF, compared to what WF tolerates from your end of the spectrum, and frankly, I'm quite surprised that you think of this so seriously and repeatedly. It gives off the vibe that you are still bitter that one or two particular instances of controversial viewpoints on WF were not censored in the particular way that you wanted them to be.

But, I do understand your viewpoint that by not making a supremely sheltered safe space for extreme leftists and the LGBTQ/BIPOC/whatever else community WF will surely lose a certain amount of otherwise willing (and maybe even significantly contributing) members. I fully accept that, and honestly it's a trade I'm willing to take to avoid the absolute fascist, authoritarian, censored, thought-policed hell-hole what WF would ultimately end up as if it were subject to the capricious whims of leftist political machine.

I'll also remind you that the admin (me) isn't white. The mod team has at least one gay person, one leftist, and (I think) one Jew. So really, you have to believe that either we are all self-hating, or that I am self-hating and simply wantonly disregard the thoughts and opinions of the mod team. That's just not true.

WF is generally tolerant, with a minimal and sensible set of rules that are apolitical. What you want is for WF to reduce tolerance to ideas you don't like, and that'll never happen.

I don't tell people I use WF for that reason, and don't recommend it, because it would be bad for my reputation (and I'd need to write a bunch of disclaimers when sharing, which I can't be bothered doing).
That's fine. It's comedy. But it's fine.

"I don't know exactly how to phrase it." let me help you... (modern) left-wing people tend to... be more sensitive to opposition, be less capable of defending their ideals, be less tolerant of opposing viewpoints and care more about censoring as much as possible that makes them uncomfortable, to live in some fantasy safe space.

How does that work? You were earlier implying that WF is full of RWers, and you even said just above that RW people find it much easier "to put politics aside". Anyway, it says more about the type of people that require a heavily moderated forum that they can't simply ignore the (what...) 2? sections that even allow politics on WF, nor confront what they dislike/disagree with, that they must have it censored in order to be able to sign up and contribute to the site.

That's comical and frankly WF is far better off without that kind of control, censorship, sensitivity and permanent egg-shells.

I will say though that the most recent examples I have seen the Staff did address it within the thread and directed the poster to make their points without the Offensive material.

For the most part though from what I can tell the Offensive comments are coming from only 2-3 people who are semi-regular at best.

So it's not like WF is just a den for this stuff with it running rampant.
Exactly. If they break the rules, they will be dealt with like anyone else.

The funniest part is, RW extremists are self-moderating. They're too stupid to pick the correct section to even post their nonsensical racism/conspiracy theory/political gibberish, so when they do inevitably post "jew vampires eat babies" in the general occult section for the 3rd time, they just get banned and cleaned out.

So, tipping my hat man fedora to Skull and his efforts!
Thank you!

At 2 bucks a head I'd call that a bargain.(y)
I know, right, I was just about to say that too :ROFLMAO:

Vandheer

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
It tolerates fascism and white supremacy so long as people stay on topic and keep decorous. I don't tell people I use WF for that reason, and don't recommend it
I have been here for a decent amount now and most I can remember is some anti-Jewish posts which most people ridicule the poster anyways.

I have actually seen you talk about this issue more than the issue in recent times 🤔

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Difficult to find? On Bing it was on the first page of hits when I googled "occult forums" some months back.
Woah, shit, you're right. I've been mainly focusing on google, didn't even realise we're #2 on first page on bing. Shout out bing!

There's indeed over 5.000 members.. Not all of them are dropping "banger" threads of course.. but the posts that get made are usually pretty good.
Yeah, we have a long way to go. Not even gonna lie, I thought we'd have like 10k members in 2024. Might have to drop some more cash on paid ads.

I actually prefer the current version of WF because moderation is much improved and has cut out pretty much all the the trolling.
Thank you! Old heads will surely notice how much less trolling there is on WF now than there used to be back in the day.

It's a tough thing to balance. On one hand you want people to be able to express weird, strange, atypical ideas, and be funny, sarcastic etc. But you don't want people to just be able to roam free riling people up and contributing nothing.

It's something I take seriously, and I'm constantly on the lookout for better ways to deal with it. Certainly it's a much more prevalent concern than "fascism" and "white supremacy" on WF, which barely exist. I think we have much more comprehensive and better rules on WF to help weed out trolls while still keeping the spirit of an open, non-echo-chamber and non-elitist discussion space.

The Original versions did have more of an ‘Expert’ presence.

What I mean is that there were several members who bigtime knew their stuff and they dropped a lot of knowledge and it was spread out across several different paths.

There was especially a presence for Goetic work, PGM, Voudou, Hoodoo, and LHP in general.

There were a few members very knowledgeable in the Tarot as well.
Yeah, truly, it saddens me too. I think over time we will once again attract more occult SMEs, though.

I have been here for a decent amount now and most I can remember is some anti-Jewish posts which most people ridicule the poster anyways.

I have actually seen you talk about this issue more than the issue in recent times 🤔
Fucking right? It's crazy.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I do sometimes, but like I said before, I feel like WF used to be the best, biggest, most active, and most open occult forum. I always felt that was a good thing, and an overall positive impact on the world, so after it disappeared, and I had the opportunity to acquire and reboot WF, I thought it was the right thing to do, and did it.

Do I get tired of it? Sometimes, but that’s the case with any project. And I think it’s worth it ultimately to ensure that something good continues to exist. So I’ll keep it going for as long as I am alive, and physically and financially able to. I’m even thinking of ways to keep WF running after I die but that’s a very complicated thing and I am not sure it will be possible. But thats a problem for the future, I hope :ROFLMAO:

Like @league @8Lou1 @Aeternus say, there are a couple reasons:
  • IMO the total percentage of population that subscribes to occult philosophy is decreasing
  • The number of people that shifted from forums to social media or who never even knew about forums (young people) is increasing
  • WF was down/unusable for years. In that time a lot of people forgot about WF, found other communities, or downright left the occult
  • WF was significantly deranked on search engines due to issues I mentioned in OP, so it’s become increasingly difficult for “new people” to find WF. Especially if they don’t already know what a forum is. I’ve done a significant amount to counteract this by using social media and ads, but not being ranked well on Google is having a huuuuge impact on the growth potential. If we were top ranked on all major occult keywords like we used to be, we’d have 100s of signups a day easily
All that being said, I wouldn’t say the community is decreasing by any means. We still get 10-20 signups per day and daily usage is steadily growing.
That's understandable! I like that you are dedicated to projects like WF. Great man!

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
You don't understand. You were chosen to be here.
Flattering...until one thinks on the atrocities perpetrated by serial killers on small scale, draft boards on large.

Yeah, FB and other social media networks collect a lot of information.

Another fact in my opinion that caused probably a decrease in members especially in occult forums was the pandemic as people's focus was more on surviving rather than gathering spiritual knowledge.
Actually, the first year of the pandemic saw a 10% increase in internet use, the biggest surge in a decade. The UN reported a worldwide increase of 20% in net usage by 2021. I doubt this was "survival" related. (I suppose if by survival one means shopping and working from home, you could shoehorn that in, though.) Myself, I read and practiced more occultism in those 3 or so years than in the previous decade. I mean all those pandemic as total war metaphors really do not apply: one had loads of freed-up time. What better to do than read or surf the Net? Which certainly invites the question why I didn't stumble on WF sooner. Ill-starred, I reckon/

Woah, shit, you're right. I've been mainly focusing on google, didn't even realise we're #2 on first page on bing. Shout out bing!

Yeah, we have a long way to go. Not even gonna lie, I thought we'd have like 10k members in 2024. Might have to drop some more cash on paid ads.

Thank you! Old heads will surely notice how much less trolling there is on WF now than there used to be back in the day.

It's a tough thing to balance. On one hand you want people to be able to express weird, strange, atypical ideas, and be funny, sarcastic etc. But you don't want people to just be able to roam free riling people up and contributing nothing.

It's something I take seriously, and I'm constantly on the lookout for better ways to deal with it. Certainly it's a much more prevalent concern than "fascism" and "white supremacy" on WF, which barely exist. I think we have much more comprehensive and better rules on WF to help weed out trolls while still keeping the spirit of an open, non-echo-chamber and non-elitist discussion space.

Yeah, truly, it saddens me too. I think over time we will once again attract more occult SMEs, though.

Fucking right? It's crazy.
I just checked again to be sure. Yes, on cn.bing.com WF is #2, right after occultforum.org I don't know what the latter's cachet is. All I recall from my brief fling with them is their somewhat strident insistence on a PC tone. Something like big office buildings that won't let up on piped in retro pop tunes remastered in Muzak format.)

Last edited:

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I appreciate the seriously thought-through response (sincerely)

Unfortunately to my strong regret I was really unclear about something important, and it made my view look a lot more intense than it actually is (and like, you're completely right to say "that's bullshit") -

WF is generally tolerant, with a minimal and sensible set of rules that are apolitical. What you want is for WF to reduce tolerance to ideas you don't like, and that'll never happen.
Anyway, it says more about the type of people that require a heavily moderated forum that they can't simply ignore the (what...) 2? sections that even allow politics on WF
So, my comments were not meant to be about anything in the Tavern/Lounge section at ALL. If I go into a politics forum and see politics I don't like, I should take some responsibility for my own choices there.

I'm talking about when people throw in political talking points into magic discussions. (Eg "that's really crazy.... just like the whole gender thing is crazy, women calling themselves men, everything's out of control!" Sort of like how you see liberals go "that's stupid - not as stupid as Trump though!!" - I haven't seen that one on WF, but it's common on social media)

So I'm solely talking about stronger moderation of keeping discussion on-topic / apolitical on apolitical threads. Generally if something is 3/4 on topic with a political aside, it will be left alone, it's only stopped if it's purely a political rant. At least that's how I see it. I notice more RW things - I'm sure there's LW things I miss because of my own bias but I'm happy for that to be moderated too. No one "needs" to get their little side-issue shoehorned into an unrelated topic, whether left or right, especially when they can go to the Politics sections if they want to talk about that.

I see that it's a fine line (eg, in discussion about how we relate to the Gods, one's views on hierarchies are going to be relevant, and those views are formed out in the world. It's inherently political).

. It gives off the vibe that you are still bitter that one or two particular instances of controversial viewpoints on WF were not censored in the particular way that you wanted them to be.
"Bitter" is one of those emotionally loaded words like "freedom fighter vs terrorist". "When you do it, you're bitter/resentful/nursing a grudge. When I do it, I'm simply forming an assessment based on past experience." It doesn't mean very much, it's just a way of saying you think the other person's opinion is for personal point-scoring rather than sincerely held. I dunno why you'd think it's not sincere; I've been consistent in my expressed views. FWIW I've only ever reported one post to the mods and they cautioned the poster for the thing I reported it for, so I don't really have a reason to be bitter.

The only thing that truly freaked me out was the homophobic pile-on of one (very annoying, but not because he was gay) poster. It was pretty much all very off-topic (how could it be on-topic?) and would have been prevented by enforcement of the existing rules. It would have been better to just ban the guy than continue to harass him for kicks. That was really the thing that made me go "okay I can't send people there without warning them to watch their backs if they're queer". (I have absolutely seen queer people treated fine here btw, but that event made it clear that homophobic harassment is at least sometimes tolerated)

The mod team has at least one gay person, one leftist, and (I think) one Jew. So really, you have to believe that either we are all self-hating, or that I am self-hating and simply wantonly disregard the thoughts and opinions of the mod team.
Nah, that's identitarian. I disagree with other feminists about the best way to respond to sexism - that doesn't mean they're all self-hating, they're just, you know, wrong in my opinion. Jews disagree about the best way to respond to anti-semitism; there were queer people with legitimate arguments against legalising same-sex marriage. I thought they were wrong, but they weren't self-hating, they were doing what they believed to be the best thing for gay people. It's simplistic to say everyone within a minority group has to agree or they're self-hating.

The last thing I'll say is just that, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to decline of non-social media websites and content marketing etc etc. I fully acknowledge that I don't know what I'm talking when it comes to maintaining/moderating a forum. I do know that when you're purely a backseat driver, there are solutions that look "simple" to you, but actually have unseen trade-offs. So like, I think I'm right here - that you're unnecessarily excluding a sizeable chunk of left-leaning contributors - but I don't put as much weight in my thoughts as I do in stuff I actually have experience in.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I'm talking about when people throw in political talking points into magic discussions. (Eg "that's really crazy.... just like the whole gender thing is crazy, women calling themselves men, everything's out of control!" Sort of like how you see liberals go "that's stupid - not as stupid as Trump though!!" - I haven't seen that one on WF, but it's common on social media)
I'm genuinely confused because here you are saying you haven't seen this on WF...

So I'm solely talking about stronger moderation of keeping discussion on-topic / apolitical on apolitical threads. Generally if something is 3/4 on topic with a political aside, it will be left alone, it's only stopped if it's purely a political rant. At least that's how I see it. I notice more RW things - I'm sure there's LW things I miss because of my own bias but I'm happy for that to be moderated too. No one "needs" to get their little side-issue shoehorned into an unrelated topic, whether left or right, especially when they can go to the Politics sections if they want to talk about that.
... but here you're implying that it does happen?

Unless earlier you were saying "that's really crazy.... just like the whole gender thing is crazy, women calling themselves men, everything's out of control!" is being said on WF, just that "that's stupid - not as stupid as Trump though!!" is not?

Can you clarify? Because, I have specifically denounced off topic posting, even if "if something is 3/4 on topic with a political aside".

You can see me very directly address this here: What is new in Magic and the Occult?

In that posts it's more about something that is mostly off topic, but the author makes some attempt to bring it on topic.

I probably won't make it so that all posts to a thread must be 100% on topic and not a single phrase can be off topic, as sometimes it can be entertaining and useful to have minor asides.

If you like, you can make a suggestion in the suggestions section about this, as I am willing to hear some community perspective. And we can delve deeper into specifics and defining this problem more comprehensively.

For eg, if someone said "collecting dew for this ritual is really annoying JUST LIKE GAY PEOPLE" I'm very inclined to see that as unnecessary/disruptive/off topic. But if it was already a somewhat political discussion and someone said something like "the whole world is becoming way too sensitive now, and I think it's because of leftist movements like LGBTQ" or whatnot then I might see that as a valid political criticism/opinion.

But we shouldn't use this thread to discuss that, so I'll be happy to discuss it further, especially examples of where this happens on WF, on a separate thread focusing on this meta discussion.

Just remember though, even if we somehow come to some agreement on that rule interpretation, WF is still moderated by volunteers, who will not read every thread, and who may have some small internal biases which is completely natural. So it will really rely on people using the report function.

"Bitter" is one of those emotionally loaded words like "freedom fighter vs terrorist". "When you do it, you're bitter/resentful/nursing a grudge. When I do it, I'm simply forming an assessment based on past experience." It doesn't mean very much, it's just a way of saying you think the other person's opinion is for personal point-scoring rather than sincerely held. I dunno why you'd think it's not sincere; I've been consistent in my expressed views. FWIW I've only ever reported one post to the mods and they cautioned the poster for the thing I reported it for, so I don't really have a reason to be bitter.
It can be, but it isn't in this case. I am not comparing your "bitterness" to someone else's "assessment based on past experience". I am simply talking about how (based on my previous understanding of what you meant) you seemed to be talking more about the issue than it was happening on WF, therefore leading me to have a somewhat reasonable assumption that you were bitter that something didn't go your way (talking about that one or two times you called someone transphobic). I'm sure, then, you can understand why I thought you weren't being sincere given what I understood your sentiment to be from your previous post, which you just clarified, ofc.

The only thing that truly freaked me out was the homophobic pile-on of one (very annoying, but not because he was gay) poster. It was pretty much all very off-topic (how could it be on-topic?) and would have been prevented by enforcement of the existing rules. It would have been better to just ban the guy than continue to harass him for kicks. That was really the thing that made me go "okay I can't send people there without warning them to watch their backs if they're queer". (I have absolutely seen queer people treated fine here btw, but that event made it clear that homophobic harassment is at least sometimes tolerated)
Sincerely, can you PM me this interaction if you can find it? I can't remember this.

And honestly, if you have to warn some of your friends not to make things too political, or get too offended if someone does a "microaggression" or something like that is it so bad? I'm sure some of the RW people also have to warn their friends "not to post crazy conspiracies" or "not to use racial slurs" here on WF.

If I see someone say "your post is dumb and no one should listen to you cause you're gay" I am for sure going to be warning that person.

Believe me when I say I strive to be balanced and centrist. I am almost always on the side of the underdog and/or playing devils advocate, so you won't see me picking on a group who is already having a rough time (except trolls maybe). In the modern western political atmosphere, I may be seen as somewhat right leaning, just because of how pro-left we are now, but I assure you there are many cultures, countries, and people who would see me as an absolute leftist.

Nah, that's identitarian. I disagree with other feminists about the best way to respond to sexism - that doesn't mean they're all self-hating, they're just, you know, wrong in my opinion. Jews disagree about the best way to respond to anti-semitism; there were queer people with legitimate arguments against legalising same-sex marriage. I thought they were wrong, but they weren't self-hating, they were doing what they believed to be the best thing for gay people. It's simplistic to say everyone within a minority group has to agree or they're self-hating.
Well I suppose this makes sense, but again, then who's to say who's wrong and who's right. People have wildly varying opinions on how to respond to various perceived offences and/or (lack of) freedoms. That's why I have concise, non-partisan, common sense rules.

The last thing I'll say is just that, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to decline of non-social media websites and content marketing etc etc. I fully acknowledge that I don't know what I'm talking when it comes to maintaining/moderating a forum. I do know that when you're purely a backseat driver, there are solutions that look "simple" to you, but actually have unseen trade-offs. So like, I think I'm right here - that you're unnecessarily excluding a sizeable chunk of left-leaning contributors - but I don't put as much weight in my thoughts as I do in stuff I actually have experience in.
I have no evidence that you know what you are talking about when it comes to websites or content marketing or anything like that, and it isn't required because it is of little consequence to me if you are a web content expert. I am not currently seeking professional advice on that front, mostly because imo, I also know what I am doing in that regard.

As mentioned above, I am completely open to you, as a respected member of this forum, making a suggestion thread for us to discuss the scope of the "off topic" rule, and bring to attention any perceived prevalence of slights against minorities that would conceivably go against the "off topic" rule.

But also as mentioned in the previous post, I have no intention of censoring appropriate humour, valid criticisms, unpopular opinions etc, and no intention of making WF a supremely safe space. I'm not a fan of J. B. Peterson, but I agree with the sentiment that in order to be able to share thoughts, ideas, and opinions, you have to risk offending people.

At the same time, I agree with you that if someone wants to discuss purely occultism, and they don't make their political/gender/whatever identity public, and don't engage in the politics and lounge sections, then they should be able to engage in the occult sections, purely about the occult, without being subject to unnecessary slights and insults against them.

I hope that makes sense and seems fair.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Unless earlier you were saying "that's really crazy.... just like the whole gender thing is crazy, women calling themselves men, everything's out of control!" is being said on WF, just that "that's stupid - not as stupid as Trump though!!" is not?

If you like, you can make a suggestion in the suggestions section about this, as I am willing to hear some community perspective. And we can delve deeper into specifics and defining this problem more comprehensively.
Yeah very reasonable - even if you were 100% on board, it's unhelpful to speak in generalisations rather than specific instances. I'll report things in future. And who knows, it could end up being a reality check for me. It could be there were only a handful of things in a year, but they happened to be right when I started being more active, so I got a disproportionate sense of how common it is.

Sincerely, can you PM me this interaction if you can find it? I can't remember this.
Will do.

I have no evidence that you know what you are talking about when it comes to websites or content marketing or anything like that, and it isn't required because it is of little consequence to me if you are a web content expert. I am not currently seeking professional advice on that front, mostly because imo, I also know what I am doing in that regard.
Sorry you misunderstood my point in saying that, it was meant to be a throwaway comparison to my LACK of experience of maintaining forums, I was trying to show humility. "I know what I'm talking about with [the thing I spoke of in the first part of my post, web content etc] but I fully acknowledge I don't have that knowledge of forums, please don't think I put equal weight in my own opinions of stuff I know about and stuff where I'm just theorising".

I wasn't like... trying to "offer my expertise" midway through a disagreement, I was trying to acknowledge that you have more expertise here than me

At the same time, I agree with you that if someone wants to discuss purely occultism, and they don't make their political/gender/whatever identity public, and don't engage in the politics and lounge sections, then they should be able to engage in the occult sections, purely about the occult, without being subject to unnecessary slights and insults against them.

I hope that makes sense and seems fair.
I think that's the only part I disagree with - like I've made my gender clear, and also at times mentioned having a husband, and I don't think that should open me up to people being misogynistic or anti-straight. I shouldn't have to censor those kinds of basic life details in order to avoid sexist responses. If you look at people's introductions, most people announce their gender, where they live and what language they speak - sex and race. Simple identity labels come up naturally in discussion or when talking about magic in terms of your own life. If started a thread called "women's magic and practising magic as a woman" then yeah people can make a big deal out of my gender in that thread, but not if it's just a basic identifier in a discussion about something else.

I don't have to censor that about myself, to be clear, people haven't been sexist or idk anti-Australian? towards me, and so my expectation would be for that to be universal - simple identity mentions not attacked, only if someone sets out to make it the topic of conversation.

^ which I will bring up in future if there's specific instances of it, in a separate thread